nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

I don't have Windows anymore. I reformatted the hard drive and it's all blank. Can I install with 8Gb of memory and my dual video cards and the hard drives raided to 1.16Tb? Also I removed the SATA DVD and don't have an optical drive at all installed. I am installing via USB external hard drive. How do I setup a DSDT for my motherboard? Also some of the links for the kext aren't working. Is that all I need is those two kext you said to install? What about boot132?

is there a big difference between the slashhack and AnV version of the AppleNForceATA kext?

and also, where do I need to copy the kext?

AnV version is a "cleaner/newer" version of the slashack version.........put either in/Extra/Extensions/

I cant find any folder named Extra anywhere... (TransMac only shows the following main folders: Applications, Library, System, Users)

/Extra is a folder in the / directory..........I will check what Transmac shows on my OS X system and get back to you later.......

In the BIOS settings, I see you want me to turn off:

Hyperthreading and Virtualization: arent these awesome Intel C2D functions? making my windows system faster?

Turn off initially and then on individually and then together.......if no kernel panics in OS X then keep them enabled in BIOS

Also, what is the effect of changing the following values?

CPU (Internal) Thermal Control [disabled to TM1 & TM2]

Protects your CPU from overheating by auto-throttling it if a critical temperatures are reached

(Enhanced C1) C1E Enhanced Halt State [Enabled to disabled]

This is a CPU-throttling protocol which has to be disabled unless you have speed-stepping set up via DSDT or Chameleon RC5......see iLeopod's 680 DSDT topic here......but note here too.....hence I keep all BIOS CPU-throttling parameters disabled......

MAC0 LAN (Auto, Disabled) [Enabled to disabled]

Only turned off temporarily until correct LAN kext is identified and installed.....

Onboard 1st nVidia LAN [enabled to disabled] >> doesnt this remove my ethernet?

Only turned off temporarily until correct LAN kext is identified and installed.....

Its been a really long while since Ive been busy with installing OSX on my pc, but i just got back to it again, but kinda lost where I was in the process..

I checked my bios for all the settings, but ran into some problems:

-There is no option for AHCI enabling

-Hyperthreading cant be turned of

-I dont want to turn of Virtualisation because I use that in Windows

-I dont want to enable Thermal CPU Management, because I dont need to have my cpu downthrottled when hot.

The other settings were ok.

Now when I try to boot, It stops here (this is in verbose):

605486bd.th.jpg

what do you think is going wrong here?

Its been a really long while since Ive been busy with installing OSX on my pc, but i just got back to it again, but kinda lost where I was in the process..

I checked my bios for all the settings, but ran into some problems:

-There is no option for AHCI enabling

-Hyperthreading cant be turned of

-I dont want to turn of Virtualisation because I use that in Windows

-I dont want to enable Thermal CPU Management, because I dont need to have my cpu downthrottled when hot.

The other settings were ok.

Now when I try to boot, It stops here (this is in verbose):

605486bd.th.jpg

what do you think is going wrong here?

Hi there,

In Extra/Extensions/ you only need

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

Disabler.kext

plus EITHER AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext OR AppleNForceATA.kext

and LegacyAppleRTC.kext BUT BETTER STILL a RTC patched DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra....

I don't have Windows anymore. I reformatted the hard drive and it's all blank. Can I install with 8Gb of memory and my dual video cards and the hard drives raided to 1.16Tb? Also I removed the SATA DVD and don't have an optical drive at all installed. I am installing via USB external hard drive. How do I setup a DSDT for my motherboard? Also some of the links for the kext aren't working. Is that all I need is those two kext you said to install? What about boot132?

I don't have Windows anymore. I reformatted the hard drive and it's all blank.

OK

Can I install with 8Gb of memory and my dual video cards and the hard drives raided to 1.16Tb?

You should be able to install with 8GB RAM

Intilailly install OS X with just 1 video card installed

As for RAID, OS X does not work with BIOS "fake hardware" software RAID, only with Apple Software RAID and/or a OS X compatible PCI RAID card setup.....

What is your RAID setup?

Also I removed the SATA DVD and don't have an optical drive at all installed. I am installing via USB external hard drive.

OK

How do I setup a DSDT for my motherboard?

You need to have OS X installed and running......then see post #1 Part B. .......or here........

Also some of the links for the kext aren't working.

Tell me which they are so that I can check and fix the links in post #1

Is that all I need is those two kext you said to install?

No, you need in/Extra/Extensions EITHER AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext OR AppleNForceATA.kext, plus these kexts:

EvOreboot.kext or OpenHaltRestart.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or Disabler.kext

What about boot132?

Without an optical drive, ideally a PATA (IDE) DVDRW installed internally, you need to use a USB flash drive installer rather than a boot132 installer....

Read the "How to use this guide" section in post #1........

plus EITHER AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext OR AppleNForceATA.kext

Haha, my fault :wacko: I now only have the AnV kext left

and LegacyAppleRTC.kext BUT BETTER STILL a RTC patched DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra....

what is the difference exactly?

and where can I get a patched DSDT.aml file (I don't have a clue what that is actually), or do I have to make it myself?

so, the LegacyAppleRTC.kext needs to be in /Extra?

Haha, my fault :wacko: I now only have the AnV kext left

what is the difference exactly?

and where can I get a patched DSDT.aml file (I don't have a clue what that is actually), or do I have to make it myself?

so, the LegacyAppleRTC.kext needs to be in /Extra?

Using a DSDT.aml file patched for RTC is a convenient one-time fix......to set up a patched DSDT.aml file, you need to have OS X installed and running......read post #1 Part B. .......or see here........

LegacyAppleRTC.kext needs to be in /Extra/Extensions/

Using a DSDT.aml file patched for RTC is a convenient one-time fix......to set up a patched DSDT.aml file, you need to have OS X installed and running......read post #1 Part B. .......or see here........

LegacyAppleRTC.kext needs to be in /Extra/Extensions/

Oh ok, so that is not possible yet...

I just tried booting again in verbose, but still it hangs after the LegacyAppleRTC.kext :S

any clue what could be goign wrong?

Oh ok, so that is not possible yet...

I just tried booting again in verbose, but still it hangs after the LegacyAppleRTC.kext :S

any clue what could be goign wrong?

Regarding iATKOS S3 v2 and the RTC choices in the Installer Customise window, note that the default choice RTC installs the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, which is 64bit........whereas, selecting RTC(32bit) installs the LegacyAppleRTC.kext, which is 32bit.........

Even if you choose to stay with iATKOS S3 v2 rather than follow my recommendation do a full vanilla Snow Leopard Retail OS X Install DVD installation, with the necessary non-vanilla kexts placed, if at all possible, only in /Extra/Extensions/, using the guide in post #1, I still would recommend using a RTC patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra or in / because it will allow you to boot into 32bit, or into 63bit mode (if all kexts are 64bit only) at will........

Otherwise, if you are booting with arch=i386 and have installed the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, or are booting with arch=x86_64 and have installed the LegacyAppleRTC.kext, you will have boot problems.......

Regarding iATKOS S3 v2 and the RTC choices in the Installer Customise window, note that the default choice RTC installs the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, which is 64bit........whereas, selecting RTC(32bit) installs the LegacyAppleRTC.kext, which is 32bit.........

Even if you choose to stay with iATKOS S3 v2 rather than follow my recommendation do a full vanilla Snow Leopard Retail OS X Install DVD installation, with the necessary non-vanilla kexts placed, if at all possible, only in /Extra/Extensions/, using the guide in post #1, I still would recommend using a RTC patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra or in / because it will allow you to boot into 32bit, or into 63bit mode (if all kexts are 64bit only) at will........

Otherwise, if you are booting with arch=i386 and have installed the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, or are booting with arch=x86_64 and have installed the LegacyAppleRTC.kext, you will have boot problems.......

Ok, considering the fact iAtkos S3 V2 is still not working, ill try again, this time following the instructions exactly

In the manual it says i should use the nForceSLBoot132DVD but where can I download that?

EDIT: nvm I found it XD

Yesterday I managed to get iAtkos S3 V2 running stable on my laptop (no internet though, a new wifi card is on his way), so I can use that

but i'm still a bit blown away by the choices you offer:

what do i need to pick?

I am using a windows vista system, with MBR ofcourse, but i want to install OSX on a seperate disk (with MBR? or GPT? i dunno)

I have a 4GB usb disk and a DVD IDE drive.

So I want to burn OSX to a DVD and install it that way.

1. What step should i choose?

In part c, you have this:

(4) A DSDT.aml file generated for your MOBO/system (e.g. e.g. fassl's DSDT Patcher)

2. But how do I make that? I have OSX running on my laptop, but cant access my pc motherboard from there?

Ok, considering the fact iAtkos S3 V2 is still not working, ill try again, this time following the instructions exactly

In the manual it says i should use the nForceSLBoot132DVD but where can I download that?

EDIT: nvm I found it XD

Yesterday I managed to get iAtkos S3 V2 running stable on my laptop (no internet though, a new wifi card is on his way), so I can use that

but i'm still a bit blown away by the choices you offer:

what do i need to pick?

I am using a windows vista system, with MBR ofcourse, but i want to install OSX on a seperate disk (with MBR? or GPT? i dunno)

I have a 4GB usb disk and a DVD IDE drive.

So I want to burn OSX to a DVD and install it that way.

1. What step should i choose?

In part c, you have this:

(4) A DSDT.aml file generated for your MOBO/system (e.g. e.g. fassl's DSDT Patcher)

2. But how do I make that? I have OSX running on my laptop, but cant access my pc motherboard from there?

Answers to:

1. Install OS X to GPT ideally if it is on its own HDD......from post #1:

Read PART F if you want to install from a Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD disc to a GPT HDD volume using my nForceSLBoot132DVD......

2. See here......if you run Windows or Linux on your Desktop PC, you can use DSDT Auto-Patcher to generate a DSDT.aml file......

Unfortunatly my motherboard was listed in the Auto Patcher (Asus P5N32-E SLI), so I googled some more, and stumbled upon this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0#Asus [go down to Asus P5N32-E SLI]

which describes how to install it on my motherboard.

how "vanilla" do you think this installation will be?

You can use DSDT Auto-Patcher to patch your own DSDT.aml file by running the Windows or Linux version on your PC if you have either OS installed.....?

Not very.........see my Hazard Install guide in my blog.......

I cant use the patcher, because my motherboard isnt listed.... :S

or am i missing something here?

Yes.....you can use the patcher in Windows or Linux just to extract your original DSDT.aml......I have done this in Windows by [1] ensuring that Extract DSDT from system checkbox is ticked and then [2] clicking Apply, and [3] closing Auto-Patcher window once I can see that a dsdt.dsl and a dsdt.aml have appeared in the same folder as DSDT Auto-Patcher........zip up these two files and PM me a download link so that I can manually patch it for you.........

hey verdant

how are you able to install lion in your system?

Thanks

Just as I have described in my new nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO....... :P

Yes.....you can use the patcher in Windows or Linux just to extract your original DSDT.aml......I have done this in Windows by [1] ensuring that Extract DSDT from system checkbox is ticked and then [2] clicking Apply, and [3] closing Auto-Patcher window once I can see that a dsdt.dsl and a dsdt.aml have appeared in the same folder as DSDT Auto-Patcher........zip up these two files and PM me a download link so that I can manually patch it for you.........

Sweet!

I PM'ed you.

Though please note I have the Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard, not the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

Sweet!

I PM'ed you.

Though please note I have the Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard, not the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

Have PM'ed you RTC patched DSDT.aml file free of errors and warnings...... :(

Have PM'ed you RTC patched DSDT.aml file free of errors and warnings...... :P

Thank you very much!

Now, I'm not sure what to do with the nForceSLBoot132DVD: do I need to add it too the OSX Retail disk? or boot using that cd and then swap cd's?

Hi, long time viewer, but never posted here before so here goes. :P

I have an almost fully operational install of 10.6.8 64bit (leohazard updated) and everything is running sweet apart from the supreme FX audio card. The only time I can get sound from it is when I use the VoodooHDA Kext (2.7.2) but the audio is ropey at best.

Can anyone offer some guidance regarding either the correct Kext and installation or maybe how to use a DSDT to overcome this problem. I have read the first page on installation but the part regarding DSDT and the Supreme FX card installation confuse me somewhat! I come from a windows background but have been using macs for work and also own a Macbook Pro for the last 3 years.

System Specs are:

E6600 dual core processor

P5N32E-SLI Plus motherboard

4Gb Ram

If I have missed out any relevant information please correct me (i won't be offended!!) ;)

Regards,

Steve.

Hi, long time viewer, but never posted here before so here goes. :)

I have an almost fully operational install of 10.6.8 64bit (leohazard updated) and everything is running sweet apart from the supreme FX audio card. The only time I can get sound from it is when I use the VoodooHDA Kext (2.7.2) but the audio is ropey at best.

Can anyone offer some guidance regarding either the correct Kext and installation or maybe how to use a DSDT to overcome this problem. I have read the first page on installation but the part regarding DSDT and the Supreme FX card installation confuse me somewhat! I come from a windows background but have been using macs for work and also own a Macbook Pro for the last 3 years.

System Specs are:

E6600 dual core processor

P5N32E-SLI Plus motherboard

4Gb Ram

If I have missed out any relevant information please correct me (i won't be offended!!) :D

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

For audio fix you need to read post #2 News updates Item 5. and then Item 2.

From post #1, just follow this procedure:

Stage 1. Generating dsdt.aml, dsdt.dsl files:

1. Copy fassl's DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip file to the Desktop and double click it to extract it.

2. Open a Terminal window (Application -> Utilities) and then type the following commands ($ being the default shell prompt - DO NOT TYPE the $ !)

$ cd ~/Desktop/DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e
$ ./DSDT\ Patcher

Please do not forget the \ after DSDT and the space before Patcher

3. At this point a question about which platform you wish to emulate will appear. Choose 0 (zero) to emulate Darwin.

The program will then generate a number of files in folders within the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory on the Desktop, and also may issue a few warnings that can be ignored safely at this stage.

Then locate the dsdt.dsl and dsdt.aml files in DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory on the Desktop (look for these filenames with the latest date/time)..........put them in a new folder and PM me a download link for the zipped folder.........I will then patch your DSDT for audio etc.

Thank you very much!

Now, I'm not sure what to do with the nForceSLBoot132DVD: do I need to add it too the OSX Retail disk? or boot using that cd and then swap cd's?

No and yes to your questions.......you need to follow Part F. in post #1 step-by-step from step 1 to step 20.......the nForceSLBoot132DVD is only used in step 15. and 16.......BTW you can choose to use Chameleon 2.0 RC5 rather than an earlier version if you are later planning to install OS X Lion.....

PM Sent.

Hi Steve,

Your dsdt files need clearing of errors and warnings before I patch it, so please be patient.....

<br />Hi Steve,<br /><br />Your dsdt files need clearing of errors and warnings before I patch it, so please be patient.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sorry was not being impatient, was just letting you know I had sent PM. I appreciate your help and time on this matter.

Regards,

Steve.

PM Sent.

Hi Steve,

Your dsdt files need clearing of errors and warnings before I patch it, so please be patient.....I have done it and PM'ed it to you........put DSDT.aml in your / directory and put the AD1998B.FIX.kext in /Extra/Extensions.........let me know what happens....... :)

I will check back later......have to go offline for a while now.......

Sorry was not being impatient, was just letting you know I had sent PM. I appreciate your help and time on this matter.

Regards,

Steve.

No need to apologize - I meant please be patient with me as there was a bit of DSDT 'cleaning' to do.......and I was not sure how long it would take me...... :)