nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

just my mouse

I also have a thumbdrive plugged in that is read by everyother mac in the house

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x026d

PCI Revision ID: 0x00a3

PCI Vendor ID: 0x10de

Bus Number: 0x0b

SteelSeries Gaming Device:

Product ID: 0x1360

Vendor ID: 0x1038

Version: 5.05

Serial Number: SteelSeries Gaming Device

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ruling Technologies Sdn. Bhd.

Location ID: 0x0b700000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300

Try the following Chameleon boot flag option in your com.apple.Boot.plist:

USBBusFix=Yes

i already had it set to yes so i turned it off...

now it works...

when i turned it to off and restarted at first i didnt think it worked because i pulled out the usb stick and it froze the computer...

I will do the same thing afterthis post

i already had it set to yes so i turned it off...

now it works...

when i turned it to off and restarted at first i didnt think it worked because i pulled out the usb stick and it froze the computer...

I will do the same thing afterthis post

Your experience with having

USBBusFix=Yes

and then changing it to

USBBusFix=No

fixing your USB problem has been reported a previous post in this thread......that is why I asked you to try it "On" if "Off" and vice versa.... :(

@verdant

hey did you update to 10.6.8 yet? how about 10.7

the reason im asking is i was wondering what kexts you had to remove/ or add from 10.6.7 to make them work?

i restored a partition with a working 10.6.7 updated to 10.6.8 replaced the iopcifamily and it boots but my graphics is messed up

it basically loads to the desktop then shows the dock and everything but nothing is clickable

@verdant

hey did you update to 10.6.8 yet? how about 10.7

the reason im asking is i was wondering what kexts you had to remove/ or add from 10.6.7 to make them work?

i restored a partition with a working 10.6.7 updated to 10.6.8 replaced the iopcifamily and it boots but my graphics is messed up

it basically loads to the desktop then shows the dock and everything but nothing is clickable

I updated my 10.6.7 system to 10.6.8 using the standalone Combo Update (as always) without any issues.........I have not noticed a slow down in bootup........it takes 36 seconds with both 10.6.7 and 10.6.8....

I automatically rolled back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA and the sound is fine........I have not rollbacked any IOUSB kexts because System Profiler shows both the USB 1.1 and the USB 2.0 bus as expected and no USB issues experienced......no other kext changes required........

I have not done an install guide for Lion yet.........I will start looking after Lion 10.7 is officailly released and only when I can find some time to experiment with Lion 10.7 installation procedures on my PC......

im trying mald0ns lion install guide...

not working out too well. it keeps sayings that the installer is damaged after i edit the files...

the actual files (original work just fine.)

xxxxx

the reason i asked about your 10.6.8 is beacause mine has had nothing but issues

i got the pci configuration screen that it gets stuck at

then i tried to boot npci=0x2000 or whatever is on netkas site for that fix and that doesnt work

then i replaced the ACPI PCI Kexts version to 10.6.7

it kp at the fakesmc

i replace that then it got stuck somewhere else..

i think im going to just erase the partition and restore to 10.6.7 of what i have working

make sure i can boot in then repair permissions and then try again

xxxx

i think where i messed up last time is i only installed one of the acpip kexts and i was supposed to do both, then realized it then replaced the other...

will let you know how that works.

i got lion gm and that sounds like it needs a lil work (or im just confused)

on mald0ns post its not exactly clear after making the usb if you are supposed to reboot then go to bios and switch to usb, or if u are supposed to be in the os then open up the installer.mpkg package and install that way..

either way i do it is not a success... i try through mpkg and choose the lion drive then it says that its not a valid installer..

i try the lion image that is in the drive and it brings up the graphics for it but then it says its corrupted

i try usb boot then get stuck at pci configuration begin ( i did replace the kexts then it got stuck somewhere else.)

i boot just the original file and it works, says it will restart then idk where to go from there.

installed lion from mac os x lion recovery partition on another computer. I have a adapter to turn my internal into and external drive

that went ok but i cant boot anything..

I hope one of us comes up with a way to install lion.

will post if i get further

i get the boot partition and it is just pci configuration

i replace the kexts then just does waiting for root device

ugh

I was able to get lion running with very minimal work.

You can create an install DVD from the app store version of Lion (google how to do it), or use the program xMove. There are good instructions on tonymacx86.com which i have summarized below.

1. Download Lion from the app store.

2. Click Install (doesn't actually install anything, you can still boot into snow leopard)

3. Reboot into your Snow Leopard partition

4. Open Disk Utility and add an 8gb partition to your Snow Leopard drive called Installer

5. Download and run xMove.

6. Make sure to select the Installer partition when using xMove.

7. Wait for it to finish and reboot into the Installer partition.

8. You can now install Lion anywhere you want. You can install to a new drive or just upgrade your existing snow leopard install.

9. I tried a clean install and an upgrade and they both work fine for me. If you do an upgrade you won't need to do anything after it installs. Just reboot into your snow leopard partition.

Keep in mind that you need to have a running version of snow leopard. All your kexts need to be 64 bit compatible. If you can't get your system to boot into 64 bit Snow Leopard, then you will have issues with Lion as well.

Any chance of making a how to install lion guide?

Not unless I can sort out my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 so that the App Store recognizes my PC Hack as OK and allows me to complete the purchase and download.......... :D

I tried some from the Tonymacx86 [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] pack and they kernel panic me when I try to boot.

@ Everyone

If you have been able to buy and download OS X Lion via the App Store on your PC Hack, you are doing well.....!

Pity those with CPUs not recognised by Apple.......see here.......see post #3......they have even more to sort out just to purchase and download OS X Lion.....

Sorry but I have not yet had time for a serious go at sorting out Lion download/installing on my PC Hack as a precursor to starting a nForce Lion Retail Install Guide as requested, as I am too busy at present with a big audio project involving roughly 11GB of recorded AIFF files that I am working on using Sound Studio and Amadeus Pro......

@ verdant

I was having issues with 10.6.8 mac app store

however 10.6.7 works

i was able to dl with 10.6.7 but not with 10.6.8

lion requires 10.6.7 or higher to update to lion

Hi there,

I am running 10.6.8 in 64 bit mode on my 650i nForce chipset MOBO using the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/

AD1998b.FIX.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or Disabler.kext

EvOreboot.kext

IOATAFamily.RootBoot.kext

and the following non-Apple kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/

FakeSMC.kext

JMicronATA.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

and from System Profiler:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.00 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.00C1.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

using Chameleonv2.0 RC5 r656

and I am able to log in to the App Store and then view my account and buy Apps BUT I cannot purchase and download OS X Lion because I always get this message:

"We could not complete your purchase

This version of mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."

Exactly the same situation occurs with 10.6.6 and 10.6.7, which is why I have not yet been install Lion and write an nForce OS X Lion Retail Install Guide....... :rolleyes:

This situation of my not be able to purchase and download OS X Lion via the App Store is unlikely to be resolved as Geekbench shows my system as a Hackintosh......

post-200327-1311816745_thumb.png

However, even when Geekbench shows my system as a MacPro2,1 it makes no difference......

post-200327-1311819196_thumb.png

I need to try out on my system a complete MacPro3,1 or MacPro4,1 SMBIOS.plist that has worked with Geekbench and App Store for anyone......

Verdant: Where did you get

IOATAFamily.RootBoot.kext?

thanks

It is the x86_64 version from here by scififan68..........but it has been noted by myself and other users that the boot time is increased when using imk's 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext, even if you use the 32bit and 64bit patched ioatafamily.kext patched for fast boot times (posted by scififan68).......even when I changed the OSBundleRequired property value in the Info.plist file of the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext and of the kexts in PlugIns from Local-Root to Root.

I have lion running on an EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard.

Working:

EVGA 8800 GTS 512 GFX (using patched DSDT)

SATA (using AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext)

Shutdown/Restart (using EvOreboot.kext)

Not Working:

SATA DVD-RW (no read/write)

Azalia Audio (no x64 kext)

Sleep

How I did it...

(Note this is the steps I used in order. I am sure you can patch DSDT before booting in SL x64)

1) Installed Snow Leopard following this guide. Using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 for boot.

-KEXTS USED: installed in /Extra

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

EvOreboot.kext nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-Made sure I could boot using arch=x86_64 (64-bit mode)

2) Created and fixed DSDT using Windows 7 with DSDTEditor and placed on desktop for next step.

3) Used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to enable OSX Lion installer compatibility.

-SETTINGS USED

UserDSDT Install

BOTH System Utilities

System Definitions -> Mac Pro -> MacPro 3,1

-Installed and restarted. This allowed SL to identify my CPU and Ram as well as full GFX support.

4) Created an 8gb partition using Disk Utility at the end of my OSX partition.

5)After patching DSDT with hardware identified the Lion installer allowed me to copy the install files and reboot. After reboot I had to remount Lion install DMG and then use xMove MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE INSTALLER 8GB PARTITION FROM STEP 4 as the xMove install location.

6) Reboot and boot from Install partition from previous steps.

I am pressed for time and will edit/add info/answer questions later.

Just wanted to share

I am having an issue trying to install OSX onto my EVAG 750i SLI FTW mobo. I have everything SATA so I can't get the hard drives to be recognized. I am trying to install using an external hard drive. My motherboard doesn't have any of the settings for AHCI or anything which is needed to convert. I have a white iMac running Lion and that's what I want on my rig Specs:

EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard

Intel Q9650 2.77Ghz processor

(2) EVGA GTS-250 1gb video cards

(4) Seagate 320Gb SATA hard drives in a Striped RAID configuration

(4) 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz OCZ Gold memory

I only have 4 SATA II ports so my DVD drive is run off of a SATA controller card. My setup is unchanged and works perfectly installing Windows.

I need the proper Kext and DSDT because being new I have no idea what I am doing. I got as far as the computer to say "waiting for root device." I have a Snow Leopard DVD I am using to install and than want to upgrade to Lion.

HELP!

Nik

I am having an issue trying to install OSX onto my EVAG 750i SLI FTW mobo. I have everything SATA so I can't get the hard drives to be recognized. I am trying to install using an external hard drive. My motherboard doesn't have any of the settings for AHCI or anything which is needed to convert. I have a white iMac running Lion and that's what I want on my rig Specs:

EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard

Intel Q9650 2.77Ghz processor

(2) EVGA GTS-250 1gb video cards

(4) Seagate 320Gb SATA hard drives in a Striped RAID configuration

(4) 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz OCZ Gold memory

I only have 4 SATA II ports so my DVD drive is run off of a SATA controller card. My setup is unchanged and works perfectly installing Windows.

I need the proper Kext and DSDT because being new I have no idea what I am doing. I got as far as the computer to say "waiting for root device." I have a Snow Leopard DVD I am using to install and than want to upgrade to Lion.

HELP!

Nik

Hi there,

With your EVGA nforce 750i SLI FTW MOBO, you MUST have RAID Enable set to [Enabled] in BIOS, so that you can enable or disable the SATA functions......see BIOS template for 750i (downloadable via link in post #1).......

This because WHEN you set RAID Enable to [Disabled], all SATA functions are changed to Disabled and cannot be changed, yet you want to set Serial-ATA Controller [All Enabled]......

Your problems are due to having a SATA DVDRW, see if you can borrow a PATA (IDE) DVDRW........and your HDD RAID setup for Windows......OS X may be trying to mount them.......but OS X does not work with BIOS "fake hardware" software RAID, only with Apple Software RAID and/or a OS X compatible PCI RAID card setup.....

Temporarily disconnect the Windows HDDs from the MOBO and see what happens......also again check that you are using slashack's or AnV's AppleNForceATA.kext and booting SL in 32bit mode as these kexts are 32bit.......try with either AppleNForceATA kext in /Extra/Extensions.......also repair its permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions

Also, if you do not want the Vista RAIDed HDD icons trying to mount on the OS X desktop with error messages saying the the RAIDed HDDs cannot be mounted, then right-click on the OS X HDD volume icon(s) and choose “Make Alias” for the volume(s)……then go to Finder > Preferences, and under “Show these items on the Desktop”, uncheck “Hard disks”……the alias icons will remain on the Desktop (i.e. as shortcut(s) to the OS X HDD volume(s)), which you can rename to remove “alias” from the icon(s) name(s)……