SOMEBODY HELP!VMware reboot all the time when the grey apple appears

42 posts in this topic

I have seen the following in a VMware installation guide:

2. Start VMWare, click on 'New Virtual Machine'.

3. Choose 'Other' and then in the next screen choose 'New - Workstation 5'. Then in the next screen Click on the 'Other' radio button and choose 'Other' from the dropdown box. In the next screen give the virtual machine a name (I called mine 'OS X') then click next. Choose 'One' as number of processors, in the next screen type '512' into the box and click next

I wonder if the core duo requires One or Two for number of processors.

well i have had this problem. I am using a dell inspiron e1705 notebook with the maxed out specs (2.16 core duo, 2 gigs 667 yada) and i get yoru screen. I thought it was my imagine, i took the cd, popped it into my alienware desktop, opened up workstation 5.5 and it installed without a problem. I went into my bio, changed the option for (do you want to have it show up as 1 or 2 processors). I did that, and it still crashes. For VMware i changed it so that the number of virtual processors is 1, that didnt do anything. RammJet was talking about the install point. Well if you can't get past this grey apple SOD, you can't customize anything.

i hope someone figures this out!

well i have had this problem. I am using a dell inspiron e1705 notebook with the maxed out specs (2.16 core duo, 2 gigs 667 yada) and i get yoru screen. I thought it was my imagine, i took the cd, popped it into my alienware desktop, opened up workstation 5.5 and it installed without a problem. I went into my bio, changed the option for (do you want to have it show up as 1 or 2 processors). I did that, and it still crashes. For VMware i changed it so that the number of virtual processors is 1, that didnt do anything. RammJet was talking about the install point. Well if you can't get past this grey apple SOD, you can't customize anything.

i hope someone figures this out!

does that means u installed successfully on VMware workstation 5.5?

i tried the cpus=1 switch.

im afraid im in the same position with vmware 5.5

i got it to native boot from dvd with jas 10.4.6 iso unpatched with ppf.

upon reboot it says must restart computer

once patched it doesnt boot, burned at 8x then 4x. no luck.

which brings me to vmware. same errors as rest. interesting i suppose

acer tm8204wlmi

x1600

120gb 5400 sata hd

1650x1050 wsxga

lg dvd burner. (not the best it appears)

i tried the cpus=1 switch.

im afraid im in the same position with vmware 5.5

i got it to native boot from dvd with jas 10.4.6 iso unpatched with ppf.

upon reboot it says must restart computer

once patched it doesnt boot, burned at 8x then 4x. no luck.

which brings me to vmware. same errors as rest. interesting i suppose

acer tm8204wlmi

x1600

120gb 5400 sata hd

1650x1050 wsxga

lg dvd burner. (not the best it appears)

Guys!!! I really fedup with the patched ISO hence I decided not to do so....I have managed to run tiger on vmware....how? Just use the tiger-x86.tar.bz2, i think is also called the 'Deadmoo' . Guys, correct me if I am wrong...

To use deadmoo, u need this ...

1. at least SSE2 (for me, cuz is duo core..hence np...for those in this thread who have duo core and have the crash problem, i suggest you just use deadmoo..)

I believe those who use patched ISO are those who do not have SSE2 or SSE3..

but anyway ...i am happy at least I i am running tiger now...finally!!

IT seems like I not the only one having this problem. I downloaded the MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso and booted it, but experience the Virtual Machine kernel stuck fault. error. Seems like there is no resolution for this....anybody can help???

System:

1. T2500 @2Ghz

2. 2G Ram

3. Nividia Gforce

4. sony SZ28gp series

5. VM workstation 5.0

6. MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

errordr2.jpg

I am having the same error, with a very similar setup on my ThinkPad R60:

VMWare Workstation 5.5 (latest build)

Centrino Duo T2400 @ 1.83 GHz

Intel integrated graphics

Same image file: MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

768 MB RAM

Same error. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I am having the same error, with a very similar setup on my ThinkPad R60:

VMWare Workstation 5.5 (latest build)

Centrino Duo T2400 @ 1.83 GHz

Intel integrated graphics

Same image file: MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

768 MB RAM

Same error. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I tried tigerx86 img file instead and it works smoothly on VM. tigerx86 file is smaller at around 1.8 gb so faster to download...you might want to try.

I too am getting the "Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset)" error in VMware. My system:

Dell Inspiron E1705/9400 CoreDuo

GeForce Go 7800GT

120GB SATA

2GB RAM

Intel ProWireless 3945ABG

Sigmatel 9200

I used the JaS 10.4.6 iso to install to an HFS partition, and I can natively boot into that great, everything works except the Sigmatel audio and the Intel wireless. However, I cannot for the life of me boot OS X inside VMware off the partition, the dvd or the ISO.

I've tried:

- VMware Workstation 5.0, 5.5.1, 5.5.2, and VMware Server 1.01 (reboots instead of throwing the error)

- adding the line paevm = "TRUE" line to my virtual machine config file

- turning off all extraneous virtual hardware (networking, USB, etc.)

- disabling multicore in the BIOS

- boot parameters -s, -v, -x, platform=X86PC

- Myzar's 10.4.6 disc

- tiger-x86 image

Any ideas?

I have seen the following in a VMware installation guide:

I wonder if the core duo requires One or Two for number of processors.

I tried installing on my CoreDuo with 2 different DVD images and found that for some reason the

Jas 10.4.6 iso would reboot before the desktop would appear athough using the -v option did not reveale anything unusual that I could notice.

The MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD installed and ran with no problems at all. Choose 1 processor 512meg ram.

I do not know what the problem is with the other DVD so I know that is not much help.

EDIT: That was with VMware Workstation 5.5.0 build-18463 and no special config to the virtual machine config file

I just acquired and attempted to boot MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD.iso and got the same kernel stack fault error. This was using VMware Workstation 5.5.2 build 29772, configged 1 CPU and 512MB RAM. I'll try VMware Workstation 5.5.0 build 18463 right now, but if that doesn't work I'm really stumped.

I have tried both JaS 10.4.6 and Goatsecx 10.4.6 and both cause a kernel stack fault on my Dual Core 1.83GHz Sony FE laptop

I am using the latest VMWare 5.5.2, interestingly i have got the original deadmoo 10.4.1 image and that runs fine in VMWare on a dual core laptop!

--

bedrock

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting the strangest problem. I have tried both Hotiso and Jas and I get the same problem. On the boot screen when you can press a key or hit F8 for advance option, I have done both, it will start to boot and then reboot in a infinite loop. I can get the install started at all.

I am using VMWare server 1.0.1. Anyone getting this problem?

Common thread: Core Duos.

I would say most likely though common thread is Yonah chips... as I attempted the same as you guys with VMWare on a Celeron M 420 (Yonah, Gimped Core Solo). Same result as you all have gotten.

I'm not sure why yet either.