Illustrated PDF: Vanilla OSX 10.5 on the Asrock ION 330 NetTop - NB: NOT for Pro or HD versions

shoarthing

323 posts in this topic

Do you guys still have audio issues running OSX or is audio working properly ?
. . . am focused on the basics: ie getting functioning USB2 & functioning HTT [2+2 'cores'] with a kernel later than 10.5.6 & functioning sleep/resume.

Audio will be a hassle AFAIK . . the Via "Vinyl" VT1708S is not only unsupported in OSX but doesn't have a supported near-relation to provide something to work from.

It is possible, perhaps probable that VoodooHDA may be made to work. The OpenBSD source from which this driver is derived has OK support for the VT1708x

FWIW - Have recently made an install of 10.5.6 using the 'Boot Think' bootloader v2.2 plus an edited dsdt.aml in its '/Darwin' folder

. . . strange loader. Masses of unnecessary stuff loaded. HTT worked [as you'd expect with 10.5.6]. Had to provide CI/QE with an injector plus edited NV kexts - all a bit of a hassle really, for no obvious gain.

USB2 didn't work - but we already know this to almost certainly be an issue to be sorted through a new BIOS.

Do you guys still have audio issues running OSX or is audio working properly ?

Yes there's an issue with the sound! but I have not tryed to solve it, only tested the voodooHDA.kext v022. There was sound but a scraping sound.

DUally! Do you have/had any audio issues or have you got a solution for it?

By the way, I asked Asrock for an updated BIOS with Enable/Disable options for "EHCI Handoff" +Enable/Disable for "Legacy USB" and their reply was "For technical issue and emergency casses we suggest you to contact your dealer first". Not an acceptable reply.

Please! We need more people asking Asrock for an BIOS update with options for Enable/Disable "EHCI Handoff" and "Legacy USB".

Huzze - Hi - the more that ask the better: Asrock EU Support have forwarded my request back to the company's lair; but I know from experience with the industry that all it needs is a few voices asking for the same thing.

The ideal BIOS would be quite granular: ie on top of settings for Enable/Disable EHCI Handoff & Enable/Disable Legacy USB:

1: a "USB2 Mode" setting with a a choice between: 'High Speed' & 'Full Speed'

2: a "Legacy USB Mode" setting with a choice of "Low Speed" & "Full Speed" [or some other means of disabling "Low Speed" USB1]

. . this would let us try just about everything.

Shoarthing,thank you for guide.

I finally installed mac os x on asrock. Longtime I couldn't get 4 cores,but after I enabled "No-execute memory protection" in BIOS, all 4 cores work (of course vanilla 9.6, seatbalt,system installed) . ;)

05eapJU47Y.png

Thank you k0tr@kt0r ! I got eventually one Atom 330 with dual cores in OSX :D

One step forward. Now I can test my system and compare with shoarthings scores. ;)

k0tr@kt0r & Huzze . . . I am really pleased both of you are up & running: at present I am using a fresh 10.5.6 install from a restore DVD for a unibody 17" . . . works a charm, & am now going to look at audio . . . . 10.5.7 & 10.5.8 seem to break a lot of function; so I prefer to stay with a revision built around Apple's first use of the MCP79

I have just been sent a new troubleshooting BIOS from Asrock, this does at last allow for reliable USB2; but is is not a 'safe' BIOS for the relatively inexperienced [who could completely lose the ability to enter the BIOS without a CMOS reset if they chose to disable Legacy USB].

I don't mind sharing it c/w a matching edited dsdt.aml - contributors to this thread can just send me a PM with their email address; but you really need to copy these settings exactly to have things working . . . . together with an apple.com.boot.plist in /Extra that has these or similar entries:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

PS: tried a couple of version of VoodooHDA then built it from svn - doesn't work a damn for me: am going to buy a reasonable quality USB solution for the time being. Any suggestions?

. . . I quite fancy this widget; but am cautious about support under SL

I don't have any experience with the asrock 330 yet since it's still in pre-order but from what I've read in the forum is audio support is still a major issue since there are no related drivers for osx.

Yes there's an issue with the sound! but I have not tryed to solve it, only tested the voodooHDA.kext v022. There was sound but a scraping sound.

DUally! Do you have/had any audio issues or have you got a solution for it?

By the way, I asked Asrock for an updated BIOS with Enable/Disable options for "EHCI Handoff" +Enable/Disable for "Legacy USB" and their reply was "For technical issue and emergency casses we suggest you to contact your dealer first". Not an acceptable reply.

Please! We need more people asking Asrock for an BIOS update with options for Enable/Disable "EHCI Handoff" and "Legacy USB".

Hi there!

What can be wrong if my system always reboots after Chameleon-bootscreen?

. . . if you haven't followed this guide exactly, it could be quite a few things.

Which version of OSX have you installed, & do you have my dsdt.aml in your /Extra folder?

. . . if you haven't followed this guide exactly, it could be quite a few things.

Which version of OSX have you installed, & do you have my dsdt.aml in your /Extra folder?

i have installed OSX 10.5.6 via usb on an 2.5" SATA-drive without printer-drivers and extra languages. i have then installed chameleon and the kexts and dsdt.aml from your post.

i changed the drive and booted....

bios is also changed

i have installed OSX 10.5.6 via usb on an 2.5" SATA-drive without printer-drivers and extra languages. i have then installed chameleon and the kexts and dsdt.aml from your post.

i changed the drive and booted....

bios is also changed

Hi! EvoGT I had the same problem as you. If you tap the spacebar before the chameleon try to boot you get a prompt (boot:) and you can write -v cpus=1. If your Asrock boots into OSX with the (-v cpus=1) you may have the same issue that I had.

If so, go into the BIOS advanced/cpu and enable "No-execute memory protection". Now you hopfully can boot into OSX without cpus=1 and get 2 cores.

finally got round to rebuilding my ASROCK this morning (been away from home for the last few days) and after following k0tr@kt0r's "No-execute memory protection" enable change in the BIOS it's booting up without the need for the cpus=1 switch :D

However I still get a

for some reason (I had this on the previous build as well). I have no issues going through the startup video, or creating the account but once it's loaded up it's very odd. I think the video issues are related to the following . . .

3817777266_acb74d85c9.jpg

Not sure how to change the video settings though

EDIT: - By removing USB 2 support from the BIOS I can now mount usb storage which is a bit of a workaround.

EDIT 2: - I now see my com.apple.Boot.plist has next to no info in 'in comparison to the one you reference on the 1st page of this thread.

3817232085_bdc0e5533b_o.jpg

Any ideas on why this is?

EDIT 3: - GFX now sorted. I reinstalled Chameleon and ticked the gfx enabler box :-)

Hi! EvoGT I had the same problem as you. If you tap the spacebar before the chameleon try to boot you get a prompt (boot:) and you can write -v cpus=1. If your Asrock boots into OSX with the (-v cpus=1) you may have the same issue that I had.

If so, go into the BIOS advanced/cpu and enable "No-execute memory protection". Now you hopfully can boot into OSX without cpus=1 and get 2 cores.

thats it - thanks!

Quick question, Can the install on the ASRock be done retrospectively? Or does the partitioning wipe out everything else on the drive? Also will this likely work with Snow Leopard when it comes out in September, is it worth waiting?

Hi, have you got any information on speed, video, audio on your Asrock @ OSX ?

Thank you k0tr@kt0r ! I got eventually one Atom 330 with dual cores in OSX ;)

One step forward. Now I can test my system and compare with shoarthings scores. :(

Hi, have you got any information on speed, video, audio on your Asrock @ OSX ?

Hi! DUally. I hope you get yuor Asrock soon.

I have installed the OSX version of XBMC and it seems to run OK on Asrock ION.

The problem is sound and this problem is the same in XBMC and any other application.

With the voodooHDA.kext you can get sound but the sound is noisy. Shoarthing tried to rebuild voodooHDA.kext but with no improvement. A solution is to get a cheap USB-audio-board that is compatible with OSX.

USB2 will maybe work with the new BIOS that shoarthing got from Asrock. But this BIOS can lock you out from your system if you get it wrong.

It seems that we may soon have a fully working system. An Asrock ION with an extern USB-audio board.

Hi Huzze, thnx for the information !

an external soundboard would mean one that could do spdif etc Hmmmmm...

Hi! DUally. I hope you get yuor Asrock soon.

I have installed the OSX version of XBMC and it seems to run OK on Asrock ION.

The problem is sound and this problem is the same in XBMC and any other application.

With the voodooHDA.kext you can get sound but the sound is noisy. Shoarthing tried to rebuild voodooHDA.kext but with no improvement. A solution is to get a cheap USB-audio-board that is compatible with OSX.

USB2 will maybe work with the new BIOS that shoarthing got from Asrock. But this BIOS can lock you out from your system if you get it wrong.

It seems that we may soon have a fully working system. An Asrock ION with an extern USB-audio board.

Did someone already try to run XBMC on it (on OSX ofcourse ;) or am I pushing the envelope here ;)
. . not needed IMHO - see [edited] first post & its first image ;)

Am installing Elgato EyeTV [i have a dual-tuner USB widget] & their Turbo 264 hardware encoder.

Infra-red remote control of Front Row & applications of choice via Mira & their mantra receiver, with an Apple Remote.

Bluetooth working fine with an Apple k/b & mouse.

Wireless 'N' via an Edimax EW-7711UAn

All works as you'd hope, tho' in fact this 'silent' box is IMHO rather noisy, even at its quietest fan-setting.

Hi all,

I do not have a AsRock 330 but I bought a zotac ion B version board, which is the single core version.

I tried following the instructions posted, but when I reinsterted the sata drive, it would load chameloen and then just reboot. I disabled hyperthreading and sata is at AHCI.

Any suggestions or is anyone having the same issue?

Thanks,

Gastromagig

BTW, I installed leopard on the harddrive with iAtkos v2 as i dont have a real leopard cd.

I tried doing a normal install with iAtkos on the machine and it had the same result. Darwin would load, and when I told it to load the installer, it would reboot.