[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Sarumanza

Sarumanza

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

As for installing Windows 7 on a second HDD in your hack, that's easy and you won't even need a guide for that. Easiest way is to disconnect the OS X HDD, connect second HDD to SATA 0 and install Win 7. When complete, re-connect the OS X HDD then from BIOS select the OS X HDD to be the default drive (it's up to you), then use Chameleon to boot either OS.

Wow, that sounds like it would make things a lot easier. Would one have to reconnect the OS X HDD to SATA 0 after Win 7 is installed?

Also, just curious how motherboard specific the dual boot portion of your guide is. It's the best guide I've found for dual booting, but I'm looking at a GA-EX58-UD5 mobo. In case I find the cost of a second HDD prohibitive I may want to give it a try...

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,386 posts

Wow, that sounds like it would make things a lot easier. Would one have to reconnect the OS X HDD to SATA 0 after Win 7 is installed?

Also, just curious how motherboard specific the dual boot portion of your guide is. It's the best guide I've found for dual booting, but I'm looking at a GA-EX58-UD5 mobo. In case I find the cost of a second HDD prohibitive I may want to give it a try...

The dual boot portion should be generic :D

Sarumanza

Sarumanza

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

The dual boot portion should be generic :wallbash:

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm, and I thank you for that. I'm planning on getting a Velociraptor 300 GB hard drive. While they are not super expensive I would have a hard time justifying the purchase of two of them at this time, so I will probably end up referring to your well laid out guide. Thanks for all of your work, it is much appreciated.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,386 posts

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm, and I thank you for that. I'm planning on getting a Velociraptor 300 GB hard drive. While they are not super expensive I would have a hard time justifying the purchase of two of them at this time, so I will probably end up referring to your well laid out guide. Thanks for all of your work, it is much appreciated.

You're welcome and that Velociraptor will be nice and fast too.. :D
Using a second drive for a separate Windows install is so much easier but this works for having it on the same drive. Make sure you read through the posts in this thread to understand how others have got on with it.

Good luck :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy