Should I Get A Mac Or Not

16 posts in this topic

hey i dont know if i should get a mac or not i just upgraded my pc a lik 3-4 months ago and i dont know if it would be worth getting a mac or not??? i would mostly be doing video editing (Final Cut) in HDV. My current system is:

Intel P4 3.0Ghz

Intel D945PVS Mobo

ATI All-In-Wonder x1800

Sound Blaster Audigy 2

what should i get if i should get one.

thanks

-Korki-

P.S. If i do do it i will probably have to sell my current PC

That's like asking "I should breathe?"

Macs ARE great, but since you just upgraded to a pretty decent PC I'd look into alternatives. *Hint* patched OSX86... and dual boot. -_-

It's worth the value you place on it... for example, my fully loaded 15" MBP is worth WAY more than I paid for it because I use it for freelancing Graphic Design and whatnot. My source of income is depend on this machine. It's reliability/stability coupled with the available hands-down best applications make this a priceless asset. I'm not phased that i dropped almost 3k for it; it's already paid for itself in my book.

an iMac would be my recommendation for doing much video editing... if you do decide to get one.

MBP are great, but pricey for the average user and the Mini is good, not great (you kinda get what you pay for here). If you're not a professional, you don't need the tower. So that leaves the iMac desktop. <- IMO they're all good computers and will all get the job done.

You have a X1800 in your specs, so im assuming you are playing high-end games.

If you want to play high end games, a Mac would not be so good. Even with boot camp, MR X1600 on iMac and MBP won't have same level of performance of X1800.

Chrysaor,

I've played a game or two on my MBP in XP...worked GREAT for me; just like a desktop.

Battlefield 2

Call of Duty 2

I see you don't have mention of a Mac in your sig, have you played games on the Intel Macs?

Any differences have got to be very minute.

The system you have right now should work fine with video editing if you want to use Mac OS, but if you're planning to play games you better keep Windows, remember that there is a problem with the audio that maybe you can fix right now (only left sound) but everything else should work fine, just like my hackintosh :)

hey thanks for all the reply's but actually if i run mac os on my current system i would not be able to use my x1800 so i would lose about $400 there and then i would have to buy a new sound card and then maybe even my motherboard because i have 4 HD and three of them are on an extra card and only one is connected to my mobo. so it could get a little pricey to get it to run with mac os because if i edit videos i would definetly like to hear left and right sound because most of the videos i edit i shoot in two channel (left and right). and then i also wont be able to capture in HDV. i am currently running final cut pro but it doesnt recognize my camera when i want to capture in HDV.

if i did get a mac desktop, speed wise, what mac desktop would i have to get to match my current speed (intel P4 3.0 Ghz)

thanks

-Korki-

it will be mostly editing band shows and it will be HDV. i also dont want to spend to much because im not really a professional just kind of a hobby to make a little money and im not ready to spend $2000 on my first mac

thanks

-Korki-

Idk,

My G3 laptop has physically lasted and still works after five years... but the battery and HD's been shot (four years of regular use).

???

I think he's refering to it's "future proof" currently sporting 400 firewire (800 coming in though), the CPU is 32-bit (soon to be old stuff)...etc

If that's what he's referring to, he's definitely right.

I think he's refering to it's "future proof" currently sporting 400 firewire (800 coming in though), the CPU is 32-bit (soon to be old stuff)...etc

If that's what he's referring to, he's definitely right.

That's what I was aiming for.

Apple will also have more frequent product revisions since the have switched to Intel. Look at how often IBM made a new processor and then look at Intel. If you get a Mac, be prepared to have an obsolete machine within the next six months.