NTFS in Snow Leopard?

61 posts in this topic

There is a much much simpler solution that works with the default ntfs kext included in SL.

Just create in /etc a fstab file in wich add the folowing :

LABEL="your ntfs drive name" none ntfs rw

Reboot and you'll have RW acces over that drive.

More NTFS drives ... more labels...

mates sorry to sound like a noob but I can't find /etc and search isn't helping either - guess it's a hidden file.

can you explain how to locate the folder and how to create fstab file?

sorry but ...learning as I go.

mates sorry to sound like a noob but I can't find /etc and search isn't helping either - guess it's a hidden file.

can you explain how to locate the folder and how to create fstab file?

sorry but ...learning as I go.

Hold it.... don't panic.

There are two ways to do so..........

a] use the "root" login account.

b] your normal default administrator enabled account.

either ways follow through after logging in to your mac os x snow leopard desktop.

Firstly close any open windows or apps.

12 Steps:

01] Open Terminal (application from Utilities Folder under Applications folder)

02] type sudo -s (hit enter / return key)

03] type the password of your current login

04] type cd / (hit enter / return key)

05] type cd etc (hit enter / return key)

06] type cp -f fstab.hd ~/desktop/fstab (hit enter / return key)

07] type exit (hit enter / return key)

08] Quit Terminal

09] If you have TextEdit in dock bar, simply drag the fstab file on your desktop onto it and you can then edit it.

NOTE: REMOVE ALL THE "NOTICE TEXT" THAT APPLE HAS WRITTEN IN FSTAB.HD... OR ELSE THE FILE WILL NOT WORK.

10] after making the necessary changes as pointed above, save and quit TextEdit.

11] Redo steps 1 through 4 and type this:

cp -f ~/desktop/fstab /Volumes/(insert your snowleo partition name here)/etc/

12] chown -f root:wheel /Volumes/(insert your snowleo partition name here)/etc/fstab*

That's it!

Please, in haste do not forget to replace the Volume name of your SnowLeo install in the above commands.

You can reboot and enjoy NTFS Read WRite Support.. native @ really max speed.....!!!!!!

I get about 110MBps @ any given time.... even under load conditions...! Apple's done a swell job.

My Windows 7 64-bit too..doesn't work that fast...!!!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

• 2 weeks later...
I have Chameleon RC3 and I have no problems at all. Maybe if you'll post your kernel log...

@Freaky Chokra Sure man np :). You should be advised though that if your ntfs volume is dirty (and so mounted by OSX in the ro mode) it's most likely that your sistem will get a KP. Hope it's not the case but if it happens you should run at once windows chkdsk to correct the ntfs dirty bit.

Anyway for safety reasons I mount my ntfs volume only when needed. I mean Apple surely has a good (tehnical) reason for the default read only mounting of ntfs volumes.

Oh Hi Vlad.... since long...

You are most welcome.....

Then...

Though.. .I have seen too many text messages about a dirty volume at times... during boot...

Coz I have manually included -v as boot option in com.apple.Boot.plist

I never get a Kernel Panic...! Touch Wood!

On the other hand... Yeah......... If at all whenever, you make any changes in any NTFS volume... Windows on next reboot will throw up an error about dirty volume.. .and run it's 10 second countdown later checkdisk and fix the volume.

Moreover, Since last couple of days...

I have disabled RW for Windows 7 boot volume... and out of a total 11 partitions (not counting windows 7 boot partition) only 2 have now RW access... coz of that annoying chkdsk.. I hate waiting that long.. and my system has 2.5 TB of Volumes capacity .. almost full!!!

So from those 2 drives ... one is for downloading torrents ;) which I download in SL partition .. then later copy (MOVE THERE)

Then there is just one volume named XChange...

This is to backup SL or Leo data... or other direct downloaded.. .kinda My Documents volume...

It has started giving some strange behavioural problems..

some times after browsing it like mostly after copy pasting or moving data from SL volume...

and closing the finder window .. the data list disappears....

No files list can be seen...

Even after dis-mounting and mounting again from DISK Utility..

It is only after that I boot into windows run a check disk.... then reboot in SL can it see the data....

though no data loss has occurred till date... god bless... I LOST 150GB of Data in December 2009..............!!!!!

Couldn't understand that... so lets see...

How and till when and what kind of bug or error will SL or the NTFS kext will show up...

Just waiting ... and hope it never does.......... Bloody FkUced My Partitions! I LOST MY DATA!

Till next time...

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra :ninja:

Edited by Freaky Chokra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here is my solution for NTFS Write Support with Snow Leopard.

Download this: http://rapidshare.com/files/380511118/NTFS_Write.zip

it contains MacFuse-2.1.7.dmg (64bit) and ntfs-3g-2010.1.16-macosx.dmg

1. Install ntfs-3g-2010.1.16-macosx.dmg and after that reboot.

2. Install MacFuse-2.1.7.dmg and after that reboot.

3. NTFS is now write able and True Crypt works also :lol:

Oh Yeah!

Paragon with support for Snow Leopard and that too with 64 bit functionality is now available!

I even tried it when Paragon was giving 10 day Release Candidate setup trials for download.

The Final version FINALLY ROCKS!!!

• 4 weeks later...