Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
roll back to the 10.6.7 IO80211Family.kext for wifi to work not sure about ethernet I never have mine plugged in and just thought it worked since it shows up in network settings.

I got it working by updating my Chameleon install and adding a reference to the system type. I don't remember off hand what it was, but if anyone else runs into this issue, then I'll post it.

Now if I can only get Lion to work...

Lion is up and running for me, but the battery isn't working properly. Plugged into the wall, the power source shows as battery. Wonder if there is going to be an updated Voodoobattery.kext anytime soon.

rolled back to the 10.6.6 kext as suggested above and that solved my wifi problem as well, just remember to repair cache after you copy it in the /s/l/e folder ... I forgot that part :)

now everything works good except sleep / battery

anyone have any input on how to fix the sleep? I never got it working right in SL either :)

UPDATE

google is my friend ;)

a new lion sleep enabler works awesome http://blog.nawcom.com/SleepEnabler.kext.10.7.x.zip

for the battery this works perfectly as well http://www.kexts.com/view/1384-voodoobattery_lion.html

• 3 weeks later...
upgraded, and now wireless doesn't work. i restored the files, and still not working. Anyone have a working wireless kext they could post.

I'm fighting this same thing. I have tried any and every IO80211Family.kext I can find and nothing seems to work. The airport card just shows as not installed. What am I missing here? I upgraded to 10.6.8 and I can't get the wireless back. Hardwire is fine.

I got it working by updating my Chameleon install and adding a reference to the system type. I don't remember off hand what it was, but if anyone else runs into this issue, then I'll post it.

Now if I can only get Lion to work...

What version of Chameleon, and what reference?

• 1 month later...

Is anybody running a good installation of 10.7.2? I've been down since last Wednesday, and unable to recover completely. Ever since the installation, I've tried reverting to 10.7, then 10.7.1, but my trackpad isn't working now, and every time I try to install 10.7.2, either via the combo update or via the software update method, it crashes in the last minute. Just wondering how everyone else is doing.

Running with glitchbit's DSDT....fairly vanilla installation.

Started with 10.6.2, installed kext's and DSDT from this thread back from like page 18 (thanks so much you guys), and everything was working perfectly after reboot, everything worked. I'm also dual-booting with Windows 7. In the process of updating to 10.6.8 right now..

• 3 weeks later...
Started with 10.6.2, installed kext's and DSDT from this thread back from like page 18 (thanks so much you guys), and everything was working perfectly after reboot, everything worked. I'm also dual-booting with Windows 7. In the process of updating to 10.6.8 right now..

I had mine dual booting fine last year, then the hard drive failed and ever since then I could never get dual boot working so I kind of gave up. I could get windows 7 or OSX installed but never have them working.

What methods did you use?

Also im gonna try to re-do it first just to see if I can get lion running on it. Ultimately I want to get it dual booting windows 7 and lion

for all the "wireless stopped working on 10.6.8"

smbios.plist change to MacBook5,1 or MacBookPro6,1 (with proper board id in it.. check my smbios.plist in my signature.)

I did this, and then i updated updated my bootloader with champlist.

Once i did this my WIRELESS WAS WORKING AGAIN.

So I've been able to get SL up and running with wireless. Havent got sound working but im not too concerned about that. Ive been mainly just wanting to go to Lion. Im using the xMove application from tonymac. I cant seem to get the lion installer to boot. Tried a bunch of different flags and disabling stuff in BIOS but it keeps getting stuck on the same spot.

"From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID ="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>"

Then it just repeats "Still waiting for root device" Looking online I can see some other people have been getting stuck at this spot but no one seems to have presented a solution. I can see a few people have got Lion running on their 14z's so Im just hoping to see what routes you guys took.

I really only want to use this for xCode which apple has now made that its required your running 10.7 So sticking with a functioning 10.6.8 isnt something Id like to do.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anybody out there? I got a Studio 14z the other day to play around with and I used TMX86 utility to install Mountain Lion on it. Got ethernet OOTB and updated to 10.8.5. Video works fine with Graphics Enabler set to Yes. I'm wondering if any of the fixes listed here will work with ML? I read the entire thread. I have some of the files listed, but almost none of the mediafire links worked. Oh well...