[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

Fingers crossed for your DSDT.aml working :unsure:

Of course it works :P

And I see what you mean, mouse no longer wakes machine, have to use power button. I can live with that too :)

I tried removing the UUID.kext, and it seems you still get number 35 errors at boot, but they don't continue beyond that. Pretty much as discussed here on voodooprojects.

I put the UUID.kext back, seems slightly cosmetic though.

Fingers crossed for your DSDT.aml working :)

And I see what you mean, mouse no longer wakes machine, have to use power button. I can live with that too :)

I tried removing the UUID.kext, and it seems you still get number 35 errors at boot, but they don't continue beyond that. Pretty much as discussed here on voodooprojects.

That's great. Welcome aboard too :thumbsup_anim: well done..

Some of you might have already spotted this, but for anyone who has upgraded to 10.5.8 following this guide and replaced IOPCIFamily.kext I have since found out you need to also replace IONetworkingFamily.kext too as for my system, in terminal, when I entered grep UUID /var/log/system.log I was getting the message 'loaded version 1.6.1 of module com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily differs from requested version 1.6.1 (UUIDs differ)'

Note: 10.5.8 sleep only works if you use a DSDT file and remove the block from Disabler.kext for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so it runs freely.

Ahhhhh. I was wondering why mine failed to wake from sleep today - I'd put the disabler back because the Q6600 cpu was reported as running so much hotter (up from ~50C to 67C). Hadn't realized it was DSDT + Removing disabler to fix sleep. The DSDT by itself certainly doesn't cut it.

Thanks again :(

Ahhhhh. I was wondering why mine failed to wake from sleep today - I'd put the disabler back because the Q6600 cpu was reported as running so much hotter (up from ~50C to 67C). Hadn't realized it was DSDT + Removing disabler to fix sleep. The DSDT by itself certainly doesn't cut it.

Thanks again :)

Yeah, I did mention it the other day ;)

But your temps are up 17 degrees! that's a bug jump... FormerlyKnownAs mentioned VoodooPower in the DSDT thread which should help bring the temps down a bit, but I haven't looked at it yet.

EDIT: I have had a quick play with VoodooPowerMini.kext and it wouldn't load from /E/E. So I don't know if this is recommended, but I tried adding

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

to it's info.plist before <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

Rebuilding Extensions.mkext and now it loads from /E/E.

The result for my system is an average of 2 degrees drop in running temperature. It's nothing major but something at least.

EDIT: I have had a quick play with VoodooPowerMini.kext and it wouldn't load from /E/E. So I don't know if this is recommended, but I tried adding

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

to it's info.plist before <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

Rebuilding Extensions.mkext and now it loads from /E/E.

Ha! I just installed it and came to report lower temps and I find you've beaten me to it ^_^

Also discovered it wouldn't work from chameleon's extra, so I dropped it in s/l/e and it's working fine. According to superhai /E/E is not supported, but should work.

My idle temps dropped about 8C on core 1 (which is always the hottest). So now core 1 idles at about 60C, instead of 68C. It's still 10 higher than 50C, which is what it was with disabler still installed, but it's a big improvement.

Thanks for the tip to get it working in /E/E, I'm done for this evening, but I might give that a shot tomorrow.

about 60C, instead of 68C. It's still 10 higher than 50C, which is what it was with disabler still installed, but it's a big improvement.

I agree, it's an improvement. We'll keep reading and learning and see what develops. ^_^

EDIT: I am just comparing Win 7 CPU-Z with OS X CPU-X speedstep to see what differences I can see. :blink:

Here's a screengrab from CPU-Z and CPU-X.

I have also added a screengrab from CPU-X without VoodooPowerMini running (the 111.13K image)

Windows 7 and OS X with VoodooPowerMini have both applied SpeedStep to dynamically change the clock speed of the processor. Whereas OS X without VoodooPowerMini, has not applied SpeedStep leaving the processor clock speed as default.

post-331032-1249772056_thumb.png

post-331032-1249772064_thumb.png

post-331032-1249805748_thumb.png

hi blackosx.

i'm about to try your guide for the ep45 board. i have old ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256Mb DVI PCI-E Graphics Card. Do you think i need to replace it?

Do you for see any problems with my memory?

My specs are:

E5200 2.5GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB Cache

OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Reaper Memory

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L( i will be buying from ebuyer)

(sata dvd drive)

(sata hardrive)

I'm also thinking about setting up windows 7 on a separate drive.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I'm about to try your guide for the ep45 board. i have old ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256Mb DVI PCI-E Graphics Card. Do you think i need to replace it?

I'm also thinking about setting up windows 7 on a separate drive.

According to the OSX86 Wiki someone has posted that your video card is incompatible. But the rest of the hardware looks fine. Z4g0r here had problems with 8GB of PC2-8500, but 4GB should work just fine (i think ZenGiga has 4GB of similar memory).

For Windows 7, I have put together a dual boot guide for having it on the same drive it that's any use. But if you want it on a separate drive then that's easy enough.

According to the OSX86 Wiki someone has posted that your video card is incompatible. But the rest of the hardware looks fine. Z4g0r here had problems with 8GB of PC2-8500, but 4GB should work just fine (i think ZenGiga has 4GB of similar memory).

For Windows 7, I have put together a dual boot guide for having it on the same drive it that's any use. But if you want it on a separate drive then that's easy enough.

Thanks For that. What video card do you recommend thats cheap and work out of the box.

Thanks For that. What video card do you recommend thats cheap and work out of the box.

Well that's a whole new debate which, if you don't mind, I am not going to bring to this thread :)

I recommend you have a look at the wiki under PCI Express Graphics Cards to see what's supported. You'll find most recent ones are although for the very newest ones you might have to wait for the newest drivers / workarounds. Netkas' website always details latest breakthroughs in video drivers etc...

Well that's a whole new debate which, if you don't mind, I am not going to bring to this thread :(

I recommend you have a look at the wiki under PCI Express Graphics Cards to see what's supported. You'll find most recent ones are although for the very newest ones you might have to wait for the newest drivers / workarounds. Netkas' website always details latest breakthroughs in video drivers etc...

okay thanks for that i have decided to buy this card http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160756

its a Zotac geforce 9400 gt. it is however from a different manufacturer compared to the one listed in the wiki. `Does the manufacturer matter?

Where can i buy your card from 8800? i'm still undecided on the card. i have a 350watt power supply and i don't really want to change it.

Does the manufacturer matter?

Probably not, but you never know - it's generally wise to remove as much uncertainty as possible when it comes to hardware for a hackintosh though.

Where can i buy your card from 8800? i'm still undecided on the card.

Well that's pretty old, ebay may be your only chance. It was sped up and renamed the 9800, and then die shrunk and overclocked to make the GTS250 which is what I have.

i have a 350watt power supply and i don't really want to change it.

Ouch, I think you're really pushing it if you want decent graphics. You'll probably have to settle for a relatively feeble card if you don't change the power supply.

okay thanks for that i have decided to buy this card http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160756

its a Zotac geforce 9400 gt. it is however from a different manufacturer compared to the one listed in the wiki. `Does the manufacturer matter?

Where can i buy your card from 8800? i'm still undecided on the card. i have a 350watt power supply and i don't really want to change it.

It shouldn't matter which manufacturer the card is from.

I have attached 2 x charts that I used to use to help me choose video cards. They're quite old now but they listed all the specs of each card. I bought my 8800GT second hand last december for £80 from ebay as I couldn't find one in the shops.

As for your power supply, I use a 400Watt PS so yours should be okay, but I don't feel qualified enough to give you an accurate assessment and therefore a 100% guarantee that it's going to work. So if anybody else here can help then please chip in.

EDIT: Hi ZenGiga - You beat me to it this time LOL :)

Thanks for helping out..

post-331032-1249855325_thumb.png

post-331032-1249855354_thumb.png

Ah, the Zotac 9400gt.

Yes it would appear the manufacturers matter in this 9400gt card example, in the past.

Some needed more simple voodoo than others. The Zotac 9400gt was stubborn.

I have it in my daughters computer, first made to work eventually, with iAtkos v7 install

using both String Enabler and NV Enabler in video card options in the v7 install.

I will be installing this retail via Blackosx guide onto her computer this evening, will let you know tomorrow.

I would be pretty confident that you would get it working

and doesn't consume much power

Ah, the Zotac 9400gt.

Yes it would appear the manufacturers matter in this 9400gt card example, in the past.

Some needed more simple voodoo than others. The Zotac 9400gt was stubborn.

I have it in my daughters computer, first made to work eventually, with iAtkos v7 install

using both String Enabler and NV Enabler in video card options in the v7 install.

I will be installing this retail via Blackosx guide onto her computer this evening, will let you know tomorrow.

I would be pretty confident that you would get it working

and doesn't consume much power

Okay thanks for that. I will wait for your reply

Probably not, but you never know - it's generally wise to remove as much uncertainty as possible when it comes to hardware for a hackintosh though.

Well that's pretty old, ebay may be your only chance. It was sped up and renamed the 9800, and then die shrunk and overclocked to make the GTS250 which is what I have.

Ouch, I think you're really pushing it if you want decent graphics. You'll probably have to settle for a relatively feeble card if you don't change the power supply.

okay thanks for the info.

It shouldn't matter which manufacturer the card is from.

I have attached 2 x charts that I used to use to help me choose video cards. They're quite old now but they listed all the specs of each card. I bought my 8800GT second hand last december for £80 from ebay as I couldn't find one in the shops.

As for your power supply, I use a 400Watt PS so yours should be okay, but I don't feel qualified enough to give you an accurate assessment and therefore a 100% guarantee that it's going to work. So if anybody else here can help then please chip in.

EDIT: Hi ZenGiga - You beat me to it this time LOL :)

Thanks for helping out..

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how i get on once i actually put everything together

I bought my 8800GT second hand last december for £80 from ebay as I couldn't find one in the shops.

My GTS250 is essentially a die shrunk, over-clocked, cooler, faster, possibly even lower power, 8800, doesn't require a disabler to fix smearing in QT either. It was £82 a few weeks ago.

Choosing an 8800 because it was in a mac doesn't really seem to make sense unless you flash it with a mac rom too, and then presumably you loose the ability to dual boot into win or linux?

It's very slightly more complicated to generate the efi string for the GTS250, but really no big deal. Basically I wouldn't limit yourself to such an old card, there is no great advantage. The newer ones are less power demanding, run cooler

and work just as well.

Budget is a different consideration of course :)

Well, my impression is that when the system runs low on power it gets unstable. Things will crash, you'll get kernel panics etc. And because this is a hack you'll have no idea whether its software or hardware that's causing the problem. Giving yourself some head room with the power supply is wise. And there is a difference between 350 and 400 watts in case you hadn't noticed :P

It'll probably be ok, most of the time at least, particularly if you can get a less power hungry graphics card, only have one hard disk and don't use any other add in cards or a ton of bus powered usb peripherals.

P.S. My first reply was longer, but I got a KP after starting virtualbox, the first real KP I've had on this hack ;)

My GTS250 is essentially a die shrunk, over-clocked, cooler, faster, possibly even lower power, 8800, doesn't require a disabler to fix smearing in QT either. It was £82 a few weeks ago.

Choosing an 8800 because it was in a mac doesn't really seem to make sense unless you flash it with a mac rom too, and then presumably you loose the ability to dual boot into win or linux?

If I was to buy a new video card today then I would maybe choose your card too as the 8800GT is a pain in the arse when it comes to the QT mouse lag. However it does perform brilliantly in OS X and in Windows. I only bought the 8800GT because I was recommended it when I first built my system (See how following a recommendation maybe not be the best way?)

Well, my impression is that when the system runs low on power it gets unstable. Things will crash, you'll get kernel panics etc. And because this is a hack you'll have no idea whether its software or hardware that's causing the problem. Giving yourself some head room with the power supply is wise. And there is a difference between 350 and 400 watts in case you hadn't noticed :)

Again very true. You always want to make sure you have enough power and the right connections for video cards, and if you add more hard drives etc.. you are going to need a more stable power supply. I got it wrong when I said I use a 400W PS (sorry about that, it had been a while since I had built the machine). I actually have a 500W PS which came with the case.

P.S. My first reply was longer, but I got a KP after starting virtualbox, the first real KP I've had on this hack ;)

Lol... It's good to see they are more rare now and that we hardly see them... I wonder what caused it?

:P

I only bought the 8800GT because I was recommended it when I first built my system (See how following a recommendation maybe not be the best way?)

Yeah saw those recommendations too. It probably was a good buy at the time :(

In fact were it not so hard to come now by I might have followed those recommendations as well...

I actually have a 500W PS which came with the case.

Ha! Now that *is* a big difference. I have a 500W too.

I wonder what caused it?

Well, there's a whole pile of these errors just before it died:

Aug 10 09:44:54 mac /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox[328]: OpenScripting.framework - 'gdut' event blocked in process with mixed credentials (issetugid=1 uid=501 euid=501 gid=20 egid=20)

So I reinstalled the latest virtualbox update, ran fix permissions with disk utility and restarted. Seems to be ok now. *shrugs*. I hope that doesn't happen again :(

Talking about the 8800GT needing a disabler for the QT mouse lag.. I have been in contact with Kabyl and he has helped me to make a Disabler.kext for just the AppleUpstreamUserClient and not the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Meaning I can have 10.5.8 sleep and the QT fix.

I am currently testing it etc.. and will post when it's done.

Okay thanks for that. I will wait for your reply

Good news Zangeiff, I had a short window of opportunity to experiment, I popped in my hard drive with this retail install into the computer with the Zotac 9400 512 gt card and got it to work.

About to give up in the time I had and just tried one more thing.

To save time I only did a video string, no ethernet string.

You can follow the guide as Blackosx describes,

When you get to 5A in Blackosx's guide com.appl.boot.list

you will choose to generate the video xml string using OSx86tools, copy the xml hex string generated and do the rest as per Blackosx guide. OSx86 Tools Utility allows you the option to generate a custom string, Afaiaa EFI studio doesn't allow you to do a custom string. It is easy enough to do a custom string in OSx86 Tools.

When all was done as per guide.

The card was still not recognised after trying to boot into the install.

Restarted.

Used the boot option -s

then after all that safe mode was finished doing its thing,

Booted -v

then it started up fine and the card was fully recognised.

Restarted normally and still fine. Just had time to check that choosing Sleep option shuts the computer down.

An old itch but fixable with more attention.

Hope that helps, its a modest quiet card and won't tax your 350w.psu.

Talking about the 8800GT needing a disabler for the QT mouse lag.. I have been in contact with Kabyl and he has helped me to make a Disabler.kext for just the AppleUpstreamUserClient and not the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Meaning I can have 10.5.8 sleep and the QT fix.

I am currently testing it etc.. and will post when it's done.

Well here it is for anyone who has followed this guide and has a video card which suffers the QT mouse lag.

Disabler.kext

EDIT: I have redirected this to a different post in the correct thread for this.