GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

I still get the horizontal lines, I'm thinking it maybe caused by not having the non FB kext loaded.

I've just noticed something. You say you have horizontal lines like --- not | ?

Slightly different then me then because mine are | (vertical). I'm not sure that the lines are caused by not having the other driver loaded because that wouldn't explain how other people without that file would have no problems. I've thought about this too. Maybe it is the problem. We will have to wait and see!

iPoco

I've just noticed something. You say you have horizontal lines like --- not | ?

Slightly different then me then because mine are | (vertical). I'm not sure that the lines are caused by not having the other driver loaded because that wouldn't explain how other people without that file would have no problems. I've thought about this too. Maybe it is the problem. We will have to wait and see!

iPoco

Sorry, meant vertical, I should not post on forums when half asleep, the lines go |

Sorry, meant vertical, I should not post on forums when half asleep, the lines go |

Are you sure you have the non FB module loaded?

E.G. if you type

kextstat | grep X3100

in terminal you see both X3100FB and X3100 in the list?

Are you sure you have the non FB module loaded?

E.G. if you type

kextstat | grep X3100

in terminal you see both X3100FB and X3100 in the list?

I'm not sure he meant it was loaded:

I still get the vertical lines, I'm thinking it maybe caused by not having the non FB kext loaded.

iPoco

You should correct your instructions as Step 4 contradicts itself:

at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42

You say to type -rf but in the example you have -vrf

I typed without the 'v' and now I boot and get a black screen.

Tried the new one just out of interest and still lines :s I'll be on IRC if you have any ideas.

iPoco

I've noticed that when using the 2A42...FB.kext I get

kernel display not usable

in the system log, it does not appear when not using it.

Maybe this has something to do with the vertical lines?

You should correct your instructions as Step 4 contradicts itself:

at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42

You say to type -rf but in the example you have -vrf

I typed without the 'v' and now I boot and get a black screen.

Actually the v shouldn't be there.. If you get black screen, try booting into safe mode, and see if it works.. If it works there, then remove /System/Library/Extensions/*your device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

I've noticed that when using the 2A42...FB.kext I get

kernel display not usable

in the system log, it does not appear when not using it.

Maybe this has something to do with the vertical lines?

Are you refering to this:

kernel[0]: display: Not usable

It could be related for all I know. Or it could just be because it can't detect what type of display we are using so it thinks it can't use it. If someone who has no lines on there screen can look for that in there system.log it would be appreciated.

iPoco

Tienneke said...

"Actually the v shouldn't be there.. If you get black screen, try booting into safe mode, and see if it works.. If it works there, then remove /System/Library/Extensions/*your device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext"

perhaps an edit to you instructions is in order, as it does include the "v":

"at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42"

BTW, great work; getting there.

I have an Asus P5Q-EM; the device id is

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e22] (rev 03)

And...

then I noticed this:

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake HECI Controller [8086:2e23] (rev 03)

I'm thinking this is probably the HDMI side of the on-board?

I've yet to play with this enough to know if the mac side even sees the HDMI, but that would be Sweet!

jp

Okay, here's my process and results so far:

HW: Asus P5Q-EM with x4500 integrated on-board

Comes up fine in 1024x768; no adjustments available.

System Profiler reports:

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2e22

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Results:

I first ran the script by itself, free of any additional arguements (I had previously put the lspci.txt at root)

Script ran fine; found the ID, created the kext, and gave me the "This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway." I am running an iDeneb-based vanilla kernel install, updated to 10.5.7

Repaired permissions, rebooted, got the nice blue screen, followed by a blank dead screen, and my monitor giving me the "out of range" comment

Said "hmmm...."; deleted the kext and boot back into the stock driver.

DL's the 10.5.7 combo update, used Pacifist to replace the stock apple driver. Rebooted (for grins), ran the script again; same error message (so is the script seeing the "stock" apple driver correctly?)

booted into superuser, moved the stock apple driver out to a folder at root (to make sure somehow it and the modified kexts were separated), and rebooted again with -f.

Same result; dead black screen.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated; I am curious about the error message coming out of the script after re-installing the known 10.5.7 kexts from the combo update...

THis would be really nice to get working, as the accepted graphics workaround for the P5Q family has been a pci card...and those nvidias are about as quiet as a 747 coming in low over your house...

thanks!

UPDATE: THe chipset I'm using is a G45, and so the graphics unit is really an X4500HD...could it be that this is significantly different enough from the X3100 driver set that it isn't getting it done?

HW Brand new Gateway SX2800 running Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset

SW ideneb 10.5.5

Guys

I tried doing this but my PC boots into a blue screen and remains there. I tried safe mode by doing F8 and -x but it still comes back to the blue screen.

Tienneke suggested deleting AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. How do I do that? Can I do it coming to the command prompt after hitting F8? Some details would help

Tienneke suggested deleting AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. How do I do that? Can I do it coming to the command prompt after hitting F8? Some details would help

Boot into single user mode. Where you entered -v instead enter -s. Then you can enter:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Boot with -f the next startup.

iPoco

It did not work. Here's what I did

1) After F8, I booted with -s

2) Then entered all four commands below (the last two commands gave me no output)

3) Typed 'reboot'

4) After F8, I booted with -f

Since it did not work, I ran through this one more time and both 'rm' commands returned file not found since I had already deleted them. This time, after reboot I used the -F string and still getting the blue screen

Are there any additional files I have to delete?

I've had problems with removing files via -s in the past. You can look through what files are in the extensions folder by using

ls -l | more

The only files that this installed were (unless using -r):

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

Without them you should be back to where your system was before you installed the patch. The -f flag used to rebuild the kext cache you can try without it.

iPoco

I saw that AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext was still in the folder so I deleted it and get the same blue screen whether I boot with -f or not

I still see the following files with '3100' in their file name in the Extensions directory. Should I delete them as well?

AppleIntelGMA3100GA.plgin

AppleIntelGMA3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA3100VADriver.bundle

I saw that AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext was still in the folder so I deleted it and get the same blue screen whether I boot with -f or not

I still see the following files with '3100' in their file name in the Extensions directory. Should I delete them as well?

AppleIntelGMA3100GA.plgin

AppleIntelGMA3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA3100VADriver.bundle

The .plugin and .bundle items in the /Extensions folder are loaded by their kext. So in this case AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. I thought of one other file that you may not have removed: 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. If this kext is in the folder it will try to load the .plugin and .bundle which are not yet working. If this doesn't work you can try do a wildcard move BUT ONLY after you have tried removing the other file and boot with -f:

mkdir /X3100Backup
sudo mv -R /System/Library/Extensions/*X3100* /X3100Backup

iPoco

HW Brand new Gateway SX2800 running Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset

SW ideneb 10.5.5

Guys

I tried doing this but my PC boots into a blue screen and remains there. I tried safe mode by doing F8 and -x but it still comes back to the blue screen.

Yes, it is possible.. I'll give you step by step instructions:

• mount -uw
  • cd /System/Library/Extensions
  • mv *your device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext /
  • reboot

You might notice I put mv instead of rm (move instead of delete), just so you could very easily try if you need the kext again. The script doesn't touch the standard AppleIntelGMAX3100, so there's no need moving that away.

What device ID do you have? (if you boot into graphics mode do the following: apple icon (top left corner of your screen) --> about this mac --> more info --> Graphics, look at the right column, there'll be a line stating your device ID..)

So lucky,Its work for me,But another problem come,the cursor disappeared,So ,what to do next?

That's an issue that we have not been able to pinpoint yet. It appears consistently on laptops with 2 graphics cards (lenovo T500, got an integrated GMA X4500 and a dedicated radeon), and on some other pc's too.. We can't yet help you, the best solution is making your cursor bigger (in system preferences). There'll be a point where the cursor reappears (it'll be quite big)

BTW, great work; getting there.

I have an Asus P5Q-EM; the device id is

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e22] (rev 03)

And...

then I noticed this:

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake HECI Controller [8086:2e23] (rev 03)

I'm thinking this is probably the HDMI side of the on-board?

I've yet to play with this enough to know if the mac side even sees the HDMI, but that would be Sweet!

jp

Thank you :) It's really a community effort, a great community.

The two devices are most probably the graphics controller and the graphics memory controller, that has a different device ID (got that from coldequation).. If you want to know more about that, you can read all about it in the linux device docs for X4500 (coldequation gave me the infos, but really was not so interested that I would read through it :P )

Okay, here's my process and results so far:

HW: Asus P5Q-EM with x4500 integrated on-board

Comes up fine in 1024x768; no adjustments available.

System Profiler reports:

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2e22

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Results:

I first ran the script by itself, free of any additional arguements (I had previously put the lspci.txt at root)

Script ran fine; found the ID, created the kext, and gave me the "This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway." I am running an iDeneb-based vanilla kernel install, updated to 10.5.7

Repaired permissions, rebooted, got the nice blue screen, followed by a blank dead screen, and my monitor giving me the "out of range" comment

Said "hmmm...."; deleted the kext and boot back into the stock driver.

DL's the 10.5.7 combo update, used Pacifist to replace the stock apple driver. Rebooted (for grins), ran the script again; same error message (so is the script seeing the "stock" apple driver correctly?)

booted into superuser, moved the stock apple driver out to a folder at root (to make sure somehow it and the modified kexts were separated), and rebooted again with -f.

Same result; dead black screen.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated; I am curious about the error message coming out of the script after re-installing the known 10.5.7 kexts from the combo update...

THis would be really nice to get working, as the accepted graphics workaround for the P5Q family has been a pci card...and those nvidias are about as quiet as a 747 coming in low over your house...

thanks!

UPDATE: THe chipset I'm using is a G45, and so the graphics unit is really an X4500HD...could it be that this is significantly different enough from the X3100 driver set that it isn't getting it done?

Well, great we fount somebody with X4500HD.. Up till now we only tested on X4500MHD, the mobile version. It can be interesting if you would want to do more testing, but the testing is best to happen in the non-genius bar thread ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129744 ). It seems that our method might not work directly for X4500HD, but maybe with a little fiddling? :D (I'm mostly over optimistic :P )

I also have the cursor problem.

Mine is X200 tablet, 4500MHD (1280x800 screen) running iATKOS v7 with stock graphic driver (display only 1024x768). I ran the script and the resolution is ok now. However there is no mouse cursor on the screen.

I also have the cursor problem.

Mine is X200 tablet, 4500MHD (1280x800 screen) running iATKOS v7 with stock graphic driver (display only 1024x768). I ran the script and the resolution is ok now. However there is no mouse cursor on the screen.

Yup well known. Seems to be common to all Lenovos. Hey tienneke/coldequation I found something interesting today. Sometimes when I move my mouse it flickers on and I can see the cursor (still buried by lines) and then its gone the next second. Also something interesting is that on some startups I get garbage for a mouse. A little rectagle around 5cm below the real location and then other startups I'm lucky enough to get two rectangles. One 5cm below the mouse and the other where the cursor actually is. I've even once had a one pixel mouse in white.

On a note of another problem sometimes when I startup my screen really green. Then if I change resolutions it goes away. I'm sure I wrote this somewhere else before but just posting it again :D<_>

I fixed the mouse (sorta) by downloading mighty mouse and magnifying the mouse.

As pointed out by chopped you can get the mouse to show by editing the size inside of System Preferences.

iPoco