• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

Klutsh

Klutsh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

8086 is actually the Vendor (Intel) so it should stay as this.

What I mean is that 8086 is all that is left, no device ID is patched in at all.
I'm using iAtkos 10.5.7, I have replaced all the GMA* kext's with ones from the 10.5.7 combo update.
Another thing I have noted is that with stock kext's I am stuck with 1024x768 but the X3100 kext get's loaded.

The no cursor issue may be related to the white lines problem.
Could it be that the kexts are setting the external display as primary and the internal as a mirror display?
Is their a way of turning off the external display, I don't have the option in BIOS, mine is setup as a dual display in bios.
If I use the display switch button on the laptop the internal display switches off, and just wont cycle back to it, I don't have a external monitor to test.

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,495 posts

What I mean is that 8086 is all that is left, no device ID is patched in at all.
I'm using iAtkos 10.5.7, I have replaced all the GMA* kext's with ones from the 10.5.7 combo update.
Another thing I have noted is that with stock kext's I am stuck with 1024x768 but the X3100 kext get's loaded.

The no cursor issue may be related to the white lines problem.
Could it be that the kexts are setting the external display as primary and the internal as a mirror display?
Is their a way of turning off the external display, I don't have the option in BIOS, mine is setup as a dual display in bios.
If I use the display switch button on the laptop the internal display switches off, and just wont cycle back to it, I don't have a external monitor to test.

The script does not patch the extisting files. It copies them and then patches the copied kexts. Once you have run the script you will notice in your extensions folder that there are two new kexts (or if you used -r only one):

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext (This one is removed with -r)

So it is normal that there are no changes to the original AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext files.

The no cursor issue seems to be unrelated to the white lines problem as some people such as chopped experience the no cursor issue but have no white lines on the display.

iPoco

Klutsh

Klutsh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

The script does not patch the extisting files. It copies them and then patches the copied kexts. Once you have run the script you will notice in your extensions folder that there are two new kexts (or if you used -r only one):

-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext (This one is removed with -r)

So it is normal that there are no changes to the original AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext files.

The no cursor issue seems to be unrelated to the white lines problem as some people such as chopped experience the no cursor issue but have no white lines on the display.

iPoco

Yes I know.
The patch does not change the device id in the 2a42*.kext's it literally removes it.

I'll re-install OS X tomorrow and I'll post up the kexts as they are AFTER i run the patch script.

Tienneke

Tienneke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Yes I know.
The patch does not change the device id in the 2a42*.kext's it literally removes it.

I'll re-install OS X tomorrow and I'll post up the kexts as they are AFTER i run the patch script.

You're talking about the Info.plist file in the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext I believe, it works with a match, and as such indeed is only left with 8086..

It actually matches with every device of class 0x03 and made by 8086 (the mask is 0x03000000&0xff000000, which results in 0x30, same method for the PCIMatch).

So that's normal (if it's that you talk about)..

Or do you mean it doesn't actually hexedit your files?

Try using the patcher script in the top of the thread, I updated it. This one should work perfectly :D

Klutsh

Klutsh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
The new patch works fine, and I did mean the info.plist.
I still get the vertical lines, I'm thinking it maybe caused by not having the non FB kext loaded.
I've tried all the fix's that people used with laptops and the GMA950 holding on blue screens, but none worked

[edit]
oops

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,495 posts

I still get the horizontal lines, I'm thinking it maybe caused by not having the non FB kext loaded.

I've just noticed something. You say you have horizontal lines like --- not | ?

Slightly different then me then because mine are | (vertical). I'm not sure that the lines are caused by not having the other driver loaded because that wouldn't explain how other people without that file would have no problems. I've thought about this too. Maybe it is the problem. We will have to wait and see!

iPoco

Klutsh

Klutsh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I've just noticed something. You say you have horizontal lines like --- not | ?

Slightly different then me then because mine are | (vertical). I'm not sure that the lines are caused by not having the other driver loaded because that wouldn't explain how other people without that file would have no problems. I've thought about this too. Maybe it is the problem. We will have to wait and see!

iPoco

Sorry, meant vertical, I should not post on forums when half asleep, the lines go |

Tienneke

Tienneke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Sorry, meant vertical, I should not post on forums when half asleep, the lines go |

Are you sure you have the non FB module loaded?
E.G. if you type
kextstat | grep X3100
in terminal you see both X3100FB and X3100 in the list?

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,495 posts

Are you sure you have the non FB module loaded?
E.G. if you type

kextstat | grep X3100
in terminal you see both X3100FB and X3100 in the list?

I'm not sure he meant it was loaded:

I still get the vertical lines, I'm thinking it maybe caused by not having the non FB kext loaded.

iPoco

Tienneke

Tienneke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

I'm not sure he meant it was loaded:
iPoco

Sorry, My bad, moesn't read messages when falling asleep :) :$

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,495 posts
Tried the new one just out of interest and still lines :s I'll be on IRC if you have any ideas.

iPoco

meomer

meomer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
You should correct your instructions as Step 4 contradicts itself:

at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42

You say to type -rf but in the example you have -vrf

I typed without the 'v' and now I boot and get a black screen.

luckwangjing

luckwangjing

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So lucky,Its work for me,But another problem come,the cursor disappeared,So ,what to do next?

Klutsh

Klutsh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Tried the new one just out of interest and still lines :s I'll be on IRC if you have any ideas.

iPoco

I've noticed that when using the 2A42...FB.kext I get
kernel display not usable
in the system log, it does not appear when not using it.
Maybe this has something to do with the vertical lines?

Tienneke

Tienneke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

You should correct your instructions as Step 4 contradicts itself:

at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42

You say to type -rf but in the example you have -vrf

I typed without the 'v' and now I boot and get a black screen.

Actually the v shouldn't be there.. If you get black screen, try booting into safe mode, and see if it works.. If it works there, then remove /System/Library/Extensions/*your device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,495 posts

I've noticed that when using the 2A42...FB.kext I get

kernel display not usable
in the system log, it does not appear when not using it.
Maybe this has something to do with the vertical lines?

Are you refering to this:
kernel[0]: display: Not usable

It could be related for all I know. Or it could just be because it can't detect what type of display we are using so it thinks it can't use it. If someone who has no lines on there screen can look for that in there system.log it would be appreciated.

iPoco

postman

postman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Tienneke said...

"Actually the v shouldn't be there.. If you get black screen, try booting into safe mode, and see if it works.. If it works there, then remove /System/Library/Extensions/*your device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext"

perhaps an edit to you instructions is in order, as it does include the "v":

"at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -vrf 2A42"

BTW, great work; getting there.

I have an Asus P5Q-EM; the device id is

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e22] (rev 03)

And...

then I noticed this:

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake HECI Controller [8086:2e23] (rev 03)

I'm thinking this is probably the HDMI side of the on-board?

I've yet to play with this enough to know if the mac side even sees the HDMI, but that would be Sweet!

jp

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Administrators
  • 1,495 posts
Edited the instructions without the -v. I spoke to Trauma about the display message and he doesn't seem to know.

iPoco

postman

postman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Okay, here's my process and results so far:

HW: Asus P5Q-EM with x4500 integrated on-board

Comes up fine in 1024x768; no adjustments available.

System Profiler reports:

Display:

Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2e22
Revision ID: 0x0003
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Results:

I first ran the script by itself, free of any additional arguements (I had previously put the lspci.txt at root)

Script ran fine; found the ID, created the kext, and gave me the "This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway." I am running an iDeneb-based vanilla kernel install, updated to 10.5.7

Repaired permissions, rebooted, got the nice blue screen, followed by a blank dead screen, and my monitor giving me the "out of range" comment

Said "hmmm...."; deleted the kext and boot back into the stock driver.

DL's the 10.5.7 combo update, used Pacifist to replace the stock apple driver. Rebooted (for grins), ran the script again; same error message (so is the script seeing the "stock" apple driver correctly?)

booted into superuser, moved the stock apple driver out to a folder at root (to make sure somehow it and the modified kexts were separated), and rebooted again with -f.

Same result; dead black screen.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated; I am curious about the error message coming out of the script after re-installing the known 10.5.7 kexts from the combo update...

THis would be really nice to get working, as the accepted graphics workaround for the P5Q family has been a pci card...and those nvidias are about as quiet as a 747 coming in low over your house...

thanks!

UPDATE: THe chipset I'm using is a G45, and so the graphics unit is really an X4500HD...could it be that this is significantly different enough from the X3100 driver set that it isn't getting it done?

sam008

sam008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
HW Brand new Gateway SX2800 running Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset
SW ideneb 10.5.5

Guys

I tried doing this but my PC boots into a blue screen and remains there. I tried safe mode by doing F8 and -x but it still comes back to the blue screen.

Tienneke suggested deleting AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. How do I do that? Can I do it coming to the command prompt after hitting F8? Some details would help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy