Over the last few weeks there's been a lot of advances in getting X4500 support in osX86. At the moment only framebuffer works, which means getting native resolution, no QE or CI yet, but hey, it's already great to have native resolution.
Coldequation has modded a patcher script provided by Trauma, with wich you can patch the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext's to give support for X4500 graphics cards.
All you need atm is your device ID (you can find it in system profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler or about this mac --> more info) under graphics section. The device ID starts with 0x and then 4 numbers, probably 0x2A42 (for X4500MHD)
Once you know your device ID, download the script attached to this post, then follow these steps:
- Start a terminal
- type sudo -s and enter your user password
- drag the script from the location you downloaded it from to the terminal
- at the end of the line, add following options: -rf *your device ID* (it should look something like /Users/username/Downloads/patchX4500.bash -rf 2A42
- Press enter. The command will give you some output for feedback.
- Once you executed the script, repair permissions using disk utility (in Applications/Utilities, click on your primary harddrive, and on the first aid tab click on repair permissions.) This might take a while, but will make sure that your driver can be loaded.
- Reboot and (hopefully) enjoy native resolution
Please post your results in this thread, be it good results or bad results, we'll try to help you . In your post please include hardware info (both laptop type/brand and video card device ID) and software info (osX version and distro)
If you don't get response here, you can (most of the time) find me or other guys willing to help you on the IRC channel #GMA_X4500 at irc.voodooprojects.org
I'll update this thread every time a (more or less) stable breakthrough has been made, and everytime a new patcher script comes out.
- Cursor vanishes
--> workaround: change the cursor size in system preferences -- mouse (till it's really huge, not so handy, but at least it works )
- vertical stripes
--> No workaround yet, looking into it atm