2212 replies to this topic

relume

relume

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

First I would like to thank to all peoples that made it possible that MacOSX (Server) can be installed on VMWare ESXi 4.x! This is really some "ray of hope" after Apple has decided to discontinue the rack mountable Xserve models last November.

I have now running a test installation of MacOSX Server 10.6.7 (installation first with 10.6.3 retail DVD) with ESXi 4.1.0u1 with darwin.iso 310_1064 on a SuperMicro SuperServer with max. 4 System nodes (actually only one single node with one Xeon L5620 CPU).

As newbie to the installation of MacOSX under VMWare ESXi i would like to ask, if the "simulated" virtual guest system, actually shows up as a minimac 2.1 could be altered to be recognized as mac pro 5.1 or xserve 3.1? Also I am wondering, if the recognized mac type or mac model has some influence to the performance of the installed guest OS (MacOSX Server 10.6.7)?

Thank you very much in advance,

reluem

ksolanki

ksolanki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You will require a third party application to do this in windows but on a MAC you will need to run a couple of commands.

On windows : MagicISO I believe should do the trick.

On a Mac : http://osxdaily.com/...-images-to-iso/. Here is a guide you could possible use.

Thanks

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

You will require a third party application to do this in windows but on a MAC you will need to run a couple of commands.

On windows : MagicISO I believe should do the trick.

On a Mac : http://osxdaily.com/...-images-to-iso/. Here is a guide you could possible use.

Thanks

ksolanki, is correct, however I have found ImgBurn to be the best option for creating an iso from the original OS X DVD under Windows. Link to the relevant website in the following post:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1622074

Nihilator

Nihilator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Donk,

Your "uninstall" program does not restore the VMware Fusion "original" darwin.iso file. You have to remember that VMware Fusion comes with a darwin.iso file, before your install program overwrites it.

Please correct this problem and give me back my "original" VMware Fusion darwin.iso file (once I choose to uninstall your "VMware OS X Guest Package"). Just because VMWare Workstation does not have a darwin.iso (by default), does not mean VMWare Fusion's "original" darwin.iso file should not be restored.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Donk,

Your "uninstall" program does not restore the VMware Fusion "original" darwin.iso file. You have to remember that VMware Fusion comes with a darwin.iso file, before your install program overwrites it.

Please correct this problem and give me back my "original" VMware Fusion darwin.iso file (once I choose to uninstall your "VMware OS X Guest Package"). Just because VMWare Workstation does not have a darwin.iso (by default), does not mean VMWare Fusion's "original" darwin.iso file should not be restored.

Thanks for finding the bug and sorry for the problem. The script is supposed to restore but I had a mistake in the uninstall section. Copy and paste the code below to the setup.sh file to fix it.

#!/bin/sh
set -e

echo VMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0
echo ==================================

# Ensure we only use unmodified commands
export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

# Find out what OS we're running under and set relevant path
# Currently supports:
# Darwin - Fusion on Mac OS X
# Linux - works with both hosted products e.g. Server 2.0 and ESX 4.0 Service Console
# VMkernel - work with ESXi 4.0

OS=`uname -s`
if [ "$OS" = 'Darwin' ]; then
	VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages'
elif [ "$OS" = 'Linux' ]; then
	VMPATH='/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages'
	vmware -v
elif [ "$OS" = 'VMkernel' ]; then
	vmware -v
else
	echo Unknown operating system "$OS"!
fi
echo Running on "$OS" and using "$VMPATH"

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
	--install)
		echo Backing up files
		mkdir -p "./backup"
		cp "$VMPATH"/*.pub ./backup
		cp "$VMPATH"/*.sig ./backup
		# Check for darwin.iso as may not be present
		if [ -f "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso ]; then
			cp "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso ./backup
		fi
		cp darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
		cp tools-key.pem "$VMPATH"
 		cp tools-key.pub "$VMPATH"
 		cd "$VMPATH"
		echo Creating new SHA-1 digests
		for A in *.iso
		do
			echo SHA-1 digest for "$A"			
			openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-key.pem < "$A" > "$A".sig 2> /dev/null
		done
		cd -
   ;;

--uninstall)
		echo Restoring backup files
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.sig
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pem		
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pub
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/darwin.iso
		cp ./backup/*.pub "$VMPATH"
		cp ./backup/*.sig "$VMPATH"
		if [ -f .backup/darwin.iso ]; then
			cp ./backup/darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
		fi		
		rm -rf ./backup
   ;;

*)
	echo "Usage: $0 {--install|--uninstall}"
	echo install   - install darwin.iso and signatures
	echo uninstall - restore original signatures
	exit 1
esac
echo Finished!

Nihilator

Nihilator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
MSoK,

Could you update the "vmware-darwin-200" attachment on this post with the updated script?

Thanks Donk!

Thanks for finding the bug and sorry for the problem. The script is supposed to restore but I had a mistake in the uninstall section. Copy and paste the code below to the setup.sh file to fix it.

#!/bin/sh
set -e

# Currently supports:
# Linux - works with both hosted products e.g. Server 2.0 and ESX 4.0 Service Console

OS=`uname -s`
	vmware -v
	vmware -v
else
fi

case "$1" in
	--install)
		echo Backing up files
		mkdir -p "./backup"
		fi
		cp darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
 		cd "$VMPATH"
		for A in *.iso
		do
		done
		cd -
 ;;

--uninstall)
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.sig
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pem		
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pub
		fi		
		rm -rf ./backup
 ;;

*)
	exit 1
esac
echo Finished!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

MSoK,

Could you update the "vmware-darwin-200" attachment on this post with the updated script?

Thanks Donk!

Nihilator,

Not my topic, belongs to Donk, besides we have been using a much later version of the Donk's darwin.iso for some time (it does not have the script update), see link below, I have updated the script and posted a link below.

Donk's latest "darwin.iso":
http://www.filedropp...n310-macosx1064

Donk's latest "darwin.iso" with the setup.sh modified:
http://www.rapidshar...nkDarwin310.zip

Finally, we (including Donk) have switched to using Albert's "Unlocker" for Workstation, Player and Fusion rather than Donk's "darwin.iso". However it is still the preferred method for ESXi 4.1(u1). Have a look at my topic link below, it is aimed at Windows users but has all the relevant information for Fusion.

Cheers,
MSoK.

SnapperNZ

SnapperNZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi

Can I make a suggestion? Not sure if it's been made previously...

I come on here once in a while to read the latest updates - the one above about the old Darwin ISO is ironic. I find there is a lot of historical information deep in the previous pages of this thread and it's hard to get everything collated. It doesn't surprise me someone mentions using the Darwin200...

How about a hard-link somewhere on this thread or on the page around the thread frame (the background of the site page) that links to the latest darwin and up-to-date instructions for the base build of OS X Client on ESX 4.1 - a "how to" page which is updated when necessary...

Granted there is invaluable information throughout the 107 pages of this thread but quite a lot of it is repetitive to a degree (partly due to the lack of a central "how to" page) and is entirely dependent on getting the basics right first.

This is meant constructively and not at-all a criticism or show of disrespect for any of the work you all put in to this...

Snapper

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Hi

Can I make a suggestion? Not sure if it's been made previously...

I come on here once in a while to read the latest updates - the one above about the old Darwin ISO is ironic. I find there is a lot of historical information deep in the previous pages of this thread and it's hard to get everything collated. It doesn't surprise me someone mentions using the Darwin200...

How about a hard-link somewhere on this thread or on the page around the thread frame (the background of the site page) that links to the latest darwin and up-to-date instructions for the base build of OS X Client on ESX 4.1 - a "how to" page which is updated when necessary...

Granted there is invaluable information throughout the 107 pages of this thread but quite a lot of it is repetitive to a degree (partly due to the lack of a central "how to" page) and is entirely dependent on getting the basics right first.

This is meant constructively and not at-all a criticism or show of disrespect for any of the work you all put in to this...

Snapper

Thanks for the suggestion, I have created a How To for VMware Workstation / Player see the link below, I am sure I can create a similar one for ESXi.

relume

relume

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

Many thanks for your response. I found the way, how under MacOSX a "correct" ISO-image can be created from the retail MacOSX installer DVD.

Open the Apple disk utility and select/mark with the retail installer DVD inserted/mounted on the drive area the DVD-Drive itself and not the assigned MacOSX installer DVD volume. It is very important to not select the volume but the DVD-drive itself. Then create from the selected DVD-drive an image in the CD/DVD-Master format (".cdr"). After the image is successfully created, change on the image file the suffix from ".cdr" to ".iso".

Thereafter upload this image file to a VMWare store and connect on the VM configuration the iso-image to the virtual VM CD/DVD-Drive. On starting up the VM selecet at the boot loader prompt by activating the F5-key the MacOSX installer disk. Also enter at the boot loader prompt the command "rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v -f -x rd=disk1s3" and then hit the enter-key. Without this boot-load command the installation will not start correctly and shows the message "still waiting for root device".

best regards, relume

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I have created a How To for VMware Workstation / Player see the link below, I am sure I can create a similar one for ESXi.

I am thinking we should close this topic down as for everything other than ESX(i) it is better to use the unlocker. Can then start a new topic about ESXi and I will try and find some time to update the tools. As for a static URL for the downloads, I will look into it, but when I hosted on my website the number of hits was more than than my plan allowed, and was subsequently suspended. Suggestions for hosting a file with a static URL welcome. i.e. not MediaFire etc.

Nihilator

Nihilator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Donk,

I have finally tested this script (due to having some free time this weekend). It looks as though: You didn't test the script (below).

This script "still" does not restore the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion").

Your script will backup the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion") to the "backup" folder, but it R-E-F-U-S-E-S to restore it when you execute "./setup.sh --uninstall". The ./setup.sh --uninstall" script runs and restores everything but the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion").

Do you need the Fusion application to test your script? I have it, if you need it. Could you please setup Fusion on a real mac (or a hack) and test your code and figure out why the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion") is not restored?

#!/bin/sh
set -e

# Currently supports:

OS=`uname -s`
	vmware -v
	vmware -v
else
fi

case "$1" in
	--install)
		echo Backing up files
		mkdir -p "./backup"
		fi
		cp darwin.iso "$VMPATH"
 		cd "$VMPATH"
		for A in *.iso
		do
		done
		cd -
;;

--uninstall)
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.sig
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pem		
		rm -f "$VMPATH"/*.pub
		fi		
		rm -rf ./backup
;;

*)
	exit 1
esac
echo Finished!

Nihilator

Nihilator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
MSoK,

The updated "setup.sh" script that you included in the following link is not working:

You will receive the following error while executing the updated "setup.sh" script:

macpro31:~ administrator$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# cd /Users/administrator/Desktop/DonkDarwin310
bash-3.2# ./setup.sh --install
bash: ./setup.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

The fix is to re-paste it in any text editor and re-save the file. I don't know how you copied, pasted and saved it, but its throwing the error (above).

Nihilator,

Not my topic, belongs to Donk, besides we have been using a much later version of the Donk's darwin.iso for some time (it does not have the script update), see link below, I have updated the script and posted a link below.

Donk's latest "darwin.iso":
http://www.filedropp...n310-macosx1064

Finally, we (including Donk) have switched to using Albert's "Unlocker" for Workstation, Player and Fusion rather than Donk's "darwin.iso". However it is still the preferred method for ESXi 4.1(u1). Have a look at my topic link below, it is aimed at Windows users but has all the relevant information for Fusion.

Cheers,
MSoK.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Donk,

I have finally tested this script (due to having some free time this weekend). It looks as though: You didn't test the script (below).

This script "still" does not restore the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion").

Your script will backup the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion") to the "backup" folder, but it R-E-F-U-S-E-S to restore it when you execute "./setup.sh --uninstall". The ./setup.sh --uninstall" script runs and restores everything but the original "darwin.iso" (included with "Fusion").

Do you need the Fusion application to test your script? I have it, if you need it. Could you please setup Fusion on a real mac (or a hack) and test your code and figure out why the original darwin.iso (included with "Fusion") is not restored?

Sorry but I don't know what you are doing here and I can't recreate the problem with the script I posted. I have tested it many many times now and it works in every case I use, and on a real Mac and with different versions of Fusion.

1. Are you using sudo or root to run it?
2. Have you upgraded Fusion and then re-run the script? If that is the case you need to know that you must run the uninstall before upgrading Fusion.

Anyway this script is no longer supported except on ESXi as there are better ways to do this now. Honestly the best way forward is probably a clean Fusion install and use the Unlocker rather than this method. It is cleaner and more transparent to the guest.

Nihilator

Nihilator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
1) I'm using root to run it
2) I always re-run the script after upgrading Fusion.

Forget it. You don't sound interested.

Sorry but I don't know what you are doing here and I can't recreate the problem with the script I posted. I have tested it many many times now and it works in every case I use, and on a real Mac and with different versions of Fusion.

1. Are you using sudo or root to run it?
2. Have you upgraded Fusion and then re-run the script? If that is the case you need to know that you must run the uninstall before upgrading Fusion.

Anyway this script is no longer supported except on ESXi as there are better ways to do this now. Honestly the best way forward is probably a clean Fusion install and use the Unlocker rather than this method. It is cleaner and more transparent to the guest.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
Sorry you don't feel like I am helping but I have tried to re-create the problem and I can't. I can't fix something I can't re-create. However as the damage has been done I was trying to suggest that the best way to fix it and give you a better working system to allow client Mac OS X guests on Fusion. If you actually want a copy of the original darwin.iso & sig please let me know and I will put a copy online for you.

Honestly, this method is old now for everything apart from ESXi where the code cannot be patched in the same way as using Albert's Unlocker. In fact I modified the first post some time back to state that. It may prove useful again if there are fixes needed in boot and/or kernel code but as of now everything will boot with EFO BIOS and unlocked VMware. (Includes Lion). It also works for some new VMware products coming as well.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

1) I'm using root to run it
2) I always re-run the script after upgrading Fusion.

Forget it. You don't sound interested.

Nihilator,

A little harsh, Donk's record on this forum speaks for itself, no one has helped with OS X running under VMware more than Donk, the man deserves a little more respect.

Sorry you don't feel like I am helping but I have tried to re-create the problem and I can't. I can't fix something I can't re-create. However as the damage has been done I was trying to suggest that the best way to fix it and give you a better working system to allow client Mac OS X guests on Fusion. If you actually want a copy of the original darwin.iso & sig please let me know and I will put a copy online for you.

Honestly, this method is old now for everything apart from ESXi where the code cannot be patched in the same way as using Albert's Unlocker. In fact I modified the first post some time back to state that. It may prove useful again if there are fixes needed in boot and/or kernel code but as of now everything will boot with EFO BIOS and unlocked VMware. (Includes Lion). It also works for some new VMware products coming as well.

Donk,

"It also works for some new VMware products coming as well". Sounds interesting, give me an update when you can, Cheers MSoK.

SnapperNZ

SnapperNZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hopefully a quick one for the more seasoned people on here. I get to the OS X initial install boot (10.5 client) and I get a "no entry" sign in the middle of the screen after about 1 min of it booting (still on the grey background boot screen with Apple logo)

I've tried on 2 different hosts - both ESXi 4.1.

Snapper

saivert

saivert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
so this is only for computers with Intel processors?
Any way to run this in vmware with AMD cpu?
I'm just getting kernel panics on boot (retail Snow Leopard), and don't know how you set up other bootloaders to work with vmware.
I guess Chameleon patches things up enough to work with AMD.

I do have AMD-V enabled in Bios.

Currently I'm running a pre-packaged VM with OS X Leopard 32 bit (using FreeBSD as "os"). Which runs very slow.

Khole

Khole

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
I've been running a leopard guest server on our ESXi 4.0 server for a while and it worked great, however since updating ESXi to 4.1u1 and patching it with donk's darwin310 I can't get a vanilla 10.5.4 (32bit) guest server to install using the guide from page one which worked like a charm previously with darwin200 on ESXi 4.0.
Is it possible to use that chamellion kernel efi preloader to install a leopard vanilla? When i try it using the standard solutions I get an error (attached). Can anyone help me please.

ESXi server specs:
Old Vostro 400
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB

[codebox]#vmx file
.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "MOSX 10.5 Server.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "soft"
displayName = "MOSX 10.5 Server"
extendedConfigFile = "MOSX 10.5 Server.vmxf"
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
numvcpus = "2"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "MOSX 10.5 Server.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
guestOS = "darwin"
uuid.location = "56 4d 8b cc 40 f8 76 af-c2 b7 6c d0 08 99 e6 e8"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 8b cc 40 f8 76 af-c2 b7 6c d0 08 99 e6 e8"
vc.uuid = "52 d9 da 45 b2 d2 36 31-cc bd 03 eb 37 c3 74 d6"
svga.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:99:e6:e8"
svga.vramSize = "16777216"
vmci0.id = "144303848"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4dcd29e3-45bc963b-be67-001d09800df0/MOSX 10.5 Server/MOSX 10.5 Server-d64cd1e9.vswp"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "000006fb000408000000e3bdbfebfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "000006fb00010800800022010febfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "000006fb000408000000e3bdbfebfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"[/codebox]

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy