[GUIDE]+[STUDIO] ZOTAC GEForce 9300 WIFI DDR2 and DDR3 Snow --> ML TEST 1082 sleep #795

ZOTAC 9300 Mountain Lion

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
ok.. I've nderstood.. and that's why I prefer a normal psu.. so a switching 300W psu give only the current you need.. and having a upper-estimated psu give me the tranquility to know that that psu will never be stressed. then.. if I had 100W of load.. the 300W give 100W.. it's easy.. the only problem is the space.. yes the normal psu take great space than a pico psu. this is the only plus for me.. to use a picopsu.

erk

erk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
My system is freezing after being left idle for a couple of days like over a weekend, well it's a bit hard to tell, the screen is blank from the energy saver and won't wake up when I move the mouse or push a key, forcing me to reboot.

I have the energy save set to only switch off only the display. (drive and sleep are set to never)

I will do some more test setting the energy save to never and see if that makes any difference.

My install is the using the 10.5.6 retail using the BootThink method/kexts described above by Minihack.

Just seeing if anyone else has come across a similar issue.

erk

erk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I haven't had this issue, but I do question the reliability of this board - having been unlucky twice. I notice that in the packaging now they include a note about making sure not to route fan cables near to the GPU heatsink. The wording seems to imply that a cable might interfere with the heatsink and cause it to lose some contact with the GPU - making the GPU overheat. Maybe those plastic push pins should be replaced with something more substantial.
Also read somewhere in another forum that the heatsink for the GPU is designed to have an active airflow over it. If that is the case, then perhaps the 9300 actually runs a little too hot for comfort.....
My last board failure has prompted me to change my CPU cooler from one that stood tall and passed air to the back of the case to one that sits lower and also has some chance of cooling the GPU a little. I also always shut down the computer once I am finished now as, even at idle, I notice that the GPU heatsink is quite warm.
I hope your problems are not related to the board and that you find a solution soon.
Good luck.

I don't think my problem is a thermal fault with the board, as all I need to do is hit reset and it's right again for a couple of days without letting it cool or anything. I am doing a test atm. with the energy saver disabled so I can see if there is a kernel panic or something on the screen that gives more info. I will post if I find out more.

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 229 posts
Is this not the problem that the BIOS doesn't support wake thru USB? If it is, a quick stab at the Power button brings mine back to life.

erk

erk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Is this not the problem that the BIOS doesn't support wake thru USB? If it is, a quick stab at the Power button brings mine back to life.

I don't let the system sleep, however it may be related to the energy saver switching off the display. I have left the system running for two days with just the screen saver and no display switch off and it seems to be doing better. Of course the LCD back light is on all the time, so it's not ideal, just trying to isolate the issue.

hackpro mini

hackpro mini

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just want to add a note (and a warning) for everyone.

On this board, both rev0 and rev1 do not support Dual link DVI (which limits the resolution)and they also do not support wake on USB. If those things are important for you then you should buy the newest ones (rev03). Even when you buy the latest rev you won't have those features unless you upgrade the bios.

Not been able to use dual link was a killer for me as I needed it for getting the full resolution out of my screen. Unfortunately, I only found out after buying this board. what makes matter worse is that I don't seem to be able to find a rev03 around.

Ben Eyre

Ben Eyre

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I just want to add a note (and a warning) for everyone.

On this board, both rev0 and rev1 do not support Dual link DVI (which limits the resolution)and they also do not support wake on USB. If those things are important for you then you should buy the newest ones (rev03). Even when you buy the latest rev you won't have those features unless you upgrade the bios.

Not been able to use dual link was a killer for me as I needed it for getting the full resolution out of my screen. Unfortunately, I only found out after buying this board. what makes matter worse is that I don't seem to be able to find a rev03 around.

actually your wrong, i have REV 01, and latest bios, even though the bios dosnt support wake via usb if you set your power mangement in the bios to S1, and use the kexts suppled by hmiller, then you tell the hackintosh to sleep, and click your usb mouse and she will fire right up again........ has been tested mouse used microsoft optical mouse usb......

so i think your post is slightly incorrect, as for dual dvi link thats not important to me as i need the x16 slot for my dell TK208 card so i can have airport

just my 2pence worth

Ben

Ben Eyre

Ben Eyre

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
also ****AUDIO UPDATE****

delete any Voodoo HDA, as it dosnt work only get static, remove applehda kext file

and install with kext help the AppleAzillaAudio.kext attached.....

also remove ALCInject if its installed

what this will give you is line out, but no mic but least the sound works

Ben

Attached Files

Edly

Edly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

also ****AUDIO UPDATE****

delete any Voodoo HDA, as it dosnt work only get static, remove applehda kext file

and install with kext help the AppleAzillaAudio.kext attached.....

also remove ALCInject if its installed

what this will give you is line out, but no mic but least the sound works

Ben

I install these kext and give you all line in, out and mic. legacy 662 5.1.zip

Attached Files

erk

erk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Anyone tried the 10.5.8 update yet?
It broke my system, reboots with some audio related errors. Just trying to find out what possible got overwritten.

Safe mode still worked.

These are the .kexts in /S/L/E that have todays modified date against them since the 10.5.8 update.

System.kext
IPFirewall.kext
IOPCIFamily.kext
IONDRVSupport.kext
IOGraphicsFamily.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Not sure which is causing a problem, to fix it I removed the extensions.kext and did a repair permissions on the volume, after which the system boots again normally.

One thing I have noticed is that my screen saver eventually still kicks in even though I have set it to never. Any idea why that might happen?

BTW. My crashing issue after a few days problem caused the black dialog box wanting a reboot. Is there anyway to get a proper kernel panic message on the screen that might help debug, instead of just that standard Mac black dialog box message?

Ben Eyre

Ben Eyre

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Anyone tried the 10.5.8 update yet?
It broke my system, reboots with some audio related errors. Just trying to find out what possible got overwritten.

Safe mode still worked.

These are the .kexts in /S/L/E that have todays modified date against them since the 10.5.8 update.

System.kext
IPFirewall.kext
IOPCIFamily.kext
IONDRVSupport.kext
IOGraphicsFamily.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Not sure which is causing a problem, to fix it I removed the extensions.kext and did a repair permissions on the volume, after which the system boots again normally.

One thing I have noticed is that my screen saver eventually still kicks in even though I have set it to never. Any idea why that might happen?

BTW. My crashing issue after a few days problem caused the black dialog box wanting a reboot. Is there anyway to get a proper kernel panic message on the screen that might help debug, instead of just that standard Mac black dialog box message?

boot -v, i would sujest you remove AppleIntelIntergratedFramebuffer.kext, and IntelGMAX3100FB.kext

they have been known to cause problems, and since you dont need them as this dosnt have a gma x3100 its not a problem, also try reinstalling the kexts from the archive i posted above useing kext helper, it has the confirmed working on 9300 as posted my hmiller attached.... that would be my first port of call, i will let you know how mine goes when i update to 10.5.8 later today

Ben

Ben Eyre

Ben Eyre

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

10.5.8 all installed fine for me. Cloned my system beforehand just in case, but all went well and all still works.....
I notice the update includes new AppleHDA and AppleSMBIOS kexts. I was using both of these as vanilla (only kext different from normal kexts that I have in SLE is ATY_init) and so the new ones caused no problems.
The legacyHDA kexts to get onboard audio working only function for AppleHDA up to 10.5.6, so anyone having KPs should check that kext first and (if desired) remove the one from 10.5.8 and put back in the old one from .6 to get it working again.
I am using Chameleon 2RC2 on a USB thumb drive at the moment and the SMBIOS injection from that still works under 10.5.8.
I notice the system profiler now also lists a Hardware UUID under the hardware overview that wasn't there before too.

EDIT: Also noticed that if I don't use Chameleon to inject the plist for SMBIOS then system profiler gives the following true information (instead of the old message "There was an error while gathering this information"):

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MCP7A
Model Identifier: MCP7A
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 6.00 PG
Serial Number (system): 1
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00012E2629C9

It is still not clever enough though to know what memory I have without using the inject.

mine updated fine though now my Azilla Audio Dosnt Work, how ever this could just be a plist edit now :) i will report back

mine updated fine though now my Azilla Audio Dosnt Work, how ever this could just be a plist edit now :) i will report back

whilst my sleep still works, it's currently not restarting properly..... will check shutdown, and if neccary will reinstall the kext pagages that worked on 5.7

whilst my sleep still works, it's currently not restarting properly..... will check shutdown, and if neccary will reinstall the kext pagages that worked on 5.7

ok so shutdown works correctly its just the restart is has a issue with....... any idears?

ok so shutdown works correctly its just the restart is has a issue with....... any idears?

ok a simple reinstall of the kext package from hmiller, and my azallia audio, & restart works a treat. again now

im3113

im3113

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Guys, is it possible to superduper! a running hackintosh-system for the zotac 9300 ITX board to a disk-image and upload that file somewhere e.g. megaupload/rapidshare?

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 229 posts
Yes.

PowerMAC_G4

PowerMAC_G4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes.

Hey there,

i also tried to get this f..... board working. Yes it works but without QE. So Im also very interested in this working image, because I installed more than 20 times. So please tell where I can find it. Thank you for your trouble.

concord

concord

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
has anyone run the board with 4GB of memory?

also what could be the problem when the board reboots about 1 second into loading OS X 10.5, right after chameleon? Yes I am a Retail OS X n00b. I've only played with the Dell Mini9 OS X installs. This seems 10x more difficult because there are so many conflicting install guides and many do not explain why the steps are taken.

concord

concord

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
MiniHack,

Thanks for the clarification. I swear I've read this thread 20x up and down and couldn't find the 4gb comment. I just found it from Ugokind on post #44. I think I need to take a break from this since the frustration is causing mistakes. I don't mind reading, but the conflicting information in this community is confusing. I don't want you to upload an image, I'd rather learn this so I can fix it later or adapt it to something else. I think my next step is to find a good guide on this kext E/E and S/L/E topics since that is my road block right now. My only concern is that I bought 10.5.4 almost a year ago, and I don't want to buy a newer 10.5.6 since so many comments state installs are easier with 10.5.6

Ok, I hope my next question won't be as bad :(

cocoabuddy

cocoabuddy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
UPDATE - REQUIRED FILES CAN BE DOWNLOADED AT files.me.com/kasher/iom3g3

Special Thanks to LeopardSoup for the provided ES2L kit. Also Special Thanks to UgoKind and MiniHack for their work with this particular board, it was very enlightening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I found a super easy way of performing this Hackintosh thanks to the vast amount of information available in this thread. All your gonna need is a retail leopard disk, the driver package for the Gigabyte ES2L from over at leopard soup, and the NVkush kext provided in this thread, I believe Mini Hack provided it in his very useful kexts package. Keep in mind, this won't give you audio, but it will give you everything else.

1. Find a way to connect the hard drive you plan on using to a working mac. whether its putting it in a USB enclosure or with a drive dock, somehow find a way to connect that baby to your working mac. All I did was leave the power jumper plugged into the hard drive (while its mounted next to the zotac) and I took a sata cable from the hard disk and ran it through a sata to esata adapter, and then esata to my mbpro. I figured this would be the fastest method of install, but as long as the hard drive is showing up (doesn't matter which way, USB, Firewire..etc) your good to go.

2. Now that you have the drive visible on your working mac, you can run disk utility, erase the hard drive (Mac OS Extended, Journaled) and by default it will be set to GUID, which is what we need anyways.

3. I always make a 10 gig partition on any mac hard drive that I use for Leopard Installs, I take the image of a retail disk, and using disk utility I restore it to the 10 GB partition so that the install takes only a few minutes.
- So, find a way to make an image of your retail leopard disk, or you can try using disk utility to select the disk as the source, and the 10 GB partition as the Destination.

4. Once the restore is complete its time to restart your working and hold the option button down until fun things happen. At this point your various bootable devices will appear, you should see your brand new Mac OSX Install DVD (10 gb partition) and you should select that.

5. Go through with the leopard install, select customize and deselect all the {censored} you don't need (printer drivers, fonts, language bs, etc.) and let the install finish. If you are using the install from partition method and select only the essential leopard install (5.9 GB) I believe the install finishes in 5 to 7 minutes.

6. Go through the registration {censored} and once you hit the desktop click software update and update everything, all the way to 10.5.8, it will restart a few times after installing the combo updates, just let it do its thing.

7. When its done updating its time to open the Gigabyte ES2L Driver Package that leopard soup provided. It seems their website is down, so I will post the package in a few mins.

8. Keep in mind that we're still working on a real mac here, we have yet to put the hard drive back in. So once the ES2L driver Kit is downloaded, you can disregard everything except the file UInstaller. Open that sucker up. choose the hard drive your currently logged into, select G31M_ES2L - No Network or Audio

check the box that says Apply kext package
check the box that says apply extensions.mkext
check the box that says Install PC_EFI v9 Chameleon...
check the box that says Install Custom Kexts from HD, click browse and find your NVKush.kext. at this point you can click install. make sure that you only have 4 boxes checked, that you selected No Network or Audio, and that your installing it to the correct hard drive.

9. After your done with that instead of restarting the computer, shut down. it might say updating boot caches but just let it do its thing.

10. take your new hackintosh hard drive, hook it up to your zotac and you should be good to go.

Why this works? I don't know. But It does. Here's my hunch.
- I believe 10.5.8 has a lot of the required kexts for this board already buit in.
- One of the harder aspects of hackintoshing at least in my opinion is implementing the kexts you would like to use (in our case for proper graphics, NVKush) and correctly synchronizing the addition of those kexts with the extensions.mkext
This does it for you so you don't have to mess with that good stuff although it's more than necessary I'm sure for a full understanding of how this {censored} works.

** I am using the Bios settings that UgoKind posted in his very informative guide. I dont know what implications any deviation would have in that regard, but if anyone uses any different settings, let us know how it goes.

** directly after updating the software to 10.5.8 and after its done rebooting, I like to carbon copy clone to another partition just in case.

** I don't know if this will work without updating to 10.5.8, all I know is what I've posted, everything else is just guesswork.

** If your having trouble getting this to work, instead of putting in NVKush right at the get go, you can check the box that says apply EFI string for video card and select Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 256 mb (providing you didn't overclock the GPU) that will be sufficient enough to get you into osx on your hackintosh although the resolution will be messed up. at that point I would refer to more knowledgable users, but it would seem as if it would then be a simple matter. I'll post the driver package shortly.

Once again, I don't really know why this works, perhaps someone else can explain it properly, All I can attest to is that it does work in getting you up to the correct resolution, lets you reboot without any issues, lets you install updates without any issues. I did not address audio, or network, or sleep, or hibernation. Those things can definitely be tinkered with kexts and help from this thread, I just wanted to post a simple guide of how I personally installed leopard onto this little zotac board.

E7400, 4GB OCZ Gold, Silverstone case, Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB.

The nature of this post might seem a little overly simplified, I just wanted to make it as easy as possible for people.
Have fun, and if it doesn't work for you, then well that sucks, but it worked for me and its fast as hell.

ntsmkfob2

ntsmkfob2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I get the same errors with the latest BIOS. Tried a few changes, which all made everything worse.

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
very nice mister. I'll see tomorrow the content. maybe if it's possible.. I'll do my mods. thanks

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy