[GUIDE]+[STUDIO] ZOTAC GEForce 9300 WIFI DDR2 and DDR3 Snow --> ML TEST 1082 sleep #795

Hugo_bee

850 posts in this topic

I just used retail - you only need the combo update to go from 10.5.0 to 10.5.7

Patrick

Are you sure your retail disk was 1.5.0? I am not getting anywhere with mine, it's the 5 user family pack DVD, I cant get it to boot using many of the above methods.

No problem booting the iATKOS v7 disk, but it only gets about 20% into the install and then says it can't validate the contents of 10.5.7 Intel and stops. I have checked the MD5 and burn 5 or 6 different copies on several different burners at slowest speed and they all do the same thing. So far I have had zero luck with any OSx86 install on this nice little board. I have double checked the BIOS settings and even tried MiniHack's .sparseimage thumbdrive boot image. I am out of ideas short of buying a later retail DVD.

ahii .. crack md5, using 10.5.0.. why so much woods through the weels.. .

and why not using a tape recorder like a commodore C64.. with all the dvd turned in the tape?

Are you sure your retail disk was 1.5.0? I am not getting anywhere with mine, it's the 5 user family pack DVD, I cant get it to boot using many of the above methods.

I was booting from the 10.5.6 Boxed Set retail DVD. However my statement stands - combo update will take you from 10.5.0 to 10.5.7...

I've read through this thread but I don't think it's been mentioned, does the eSATA port work? With only 2 sata on board it would be nice to be able to use the eSATA for a media/storage drive.

I used the eSata on mine - worked fine.

Patrick

I was booting from the 10.5.6 Boxed Set retail DVD. However my statement stands - combo update will take you from 10.5.0 to 10.5.7...

I used the eSata on mine - worked fine.

Patrick

I had to go to the local Apple dealer thins morning and buy a 10.5.6 retail installer. I just couldn't get anywhere with the 10.5.0 always failed on the boot. With the 10.5.6 I am now making progress, the install is running atm.

System is now running, I used the BootThink sparseimage method MiniHack created on a thumb drive instead of Chameleon seemed to work fine, I had to boot with -x flag a couple of times after install until I sorted out the .kext database rebuild. 10.5.7 update was fine. Now to look into WiFi.

I have an SSD disk, a slimline DVDRW, 2GB Ram, E7400 CPU, three fans, a PCIE Sat card powering a dual LNB, plus USB wifi keyboard. All up, it only draws 40W at idle, which goes up to a shade under 70W at full tilt. I am using a 120W AC adaptor into a 150W PicoPSU. If you have a normal disk drive that's going to add about 12-15W to the load. If your USB hub is powered, it shouldn't draw much current from the mobo and you could use it to take the heavier demands off the mobo.

ok. i'm agree with you for the wifi.. yes I read about ssd wifi cards.. is nice! but in my megastore near home I found yesterday the digicom wifi usb, is only 24€ and I'll take a place in front of the case.. attaching it into the internal usb socket. Is not good to see but it is perfect.

For the performances.. I think the antenna is 3 to 5 db as whatever minipci laptop card.. only the pci card are better thanks to big external omni directional antenna.. which is granted for 5db! ssd card is so small and I suppose (I'm not sure) that with it you can do small link between rooms in your home.

--

I wonder if any of you have had issues with lower power PSUs? I am using a 150W PSU and have got a lot of stuff on the USB bus - bluetooth, ssd, couple of USB sticks an output to a USB hub and also I recently plugged in some old Mac Cube speakers.

I have a feeling I may have overloaded the little power supply as the USB ports have become unresponsive.

yes.. before having it I had a via epia mini itx card.. Think: I had a 90w switching psu.. a dvd 3,5", an 80gb hdd 3,5", 2 ethernet. So with this one .. yes.. we have a real big CPU not an embedded fanless very cold cpu, but I did a measurement and estimate (as you see I've a lot of stuff as you) I spend from 120 to 140w.

The thing with this board is it has 12 USB ports, so I imagine the USB controller itself is capable of driving 6amps and if I have damaged anything it will be my PSU. Shame. I note though that the PicoPSU manual rates the 5v line of the PSU as 6Amp maximum continuous, but also suggests that if you do not cool the CPU you should derate the outputs by 35%......meaning a drop to 4Amps. That means if you use much USB power and a drive or two there is virtually no headroom.

I have ordered a small form factor 200w psu which has a much higher theoretical 5 volt output (12 Amp max) which I hope should mean 8 Amp continuous.

I hope that in fact this IS the problem and that a new PSU will address the issues. Better that than finding out the MOBO has defective USB ports.

sorry? did you drunk too much? ? (it's a good story .. maybe with a great wine heh)

you wan to do real calcs? cut the cable.. pick up a tester and look for the real Ampers.

Wow, it seems that every couple of months all install procedures change drastically.

I just got this board, trying to get OSX on it. I've done regular distros as well as boot 132 on two previous boards, but this one is stumping me. I'm trying MiniHack's BootThink method to install from a 10.5.6 DVD, but there are a couple of things i'm unclear about.

Where do I get the DSDT.aml file? Also, what does it do?

EDIT: Grabbed the DSDT from the sparseimage. Still curious as to what it does though.

ok.. I've nderstood.. and that's why I prefer a normal psu.. so a switching 300W psu give only the current you need.. and having a upper-estimated psu give me the tranquility to know that that psu will never be stressed. then.. if I had 100W of load.. the 300W give 100W.. it's easy.. the only problem is the space.. yes the normal psu take great space than a pico psu. this is the only plus for me.. to use a picopsu.

My system is freezing after being left idle for a couple of days like over a weekend, well it's a bit hard to tell, the screen is blank from the energy saver and won't wake up when I move the mouse or push a key, forcing me to reboot.

I have the energy save set to only switch off only the display. (drive and sleep are set to never)

I will do some more test setting the energy save to never and see if that makes any difference.

My install is the using the 10.5.6 retail using the BootThink method/kexts described above by Minihack.

Just seeing if anyone else has come across a similar issue.

I haven't had this issue, but I do question the reliability of this board - having been unlucky twice. I notice that in the packaging now they include a note about making sure not to route fan cables near to the GPU heatsink. The wording seems to imply that a cable might interfere with the heatsink and cause it to lose some contact with the GPU - making the GPU overheat. Maybe those plastic push pins should be replaced with something more substantial.

Also read somewhere in another forum that the heatsink for the GPU is designed to have an active airflow over it. If that is the case, then perhaps the 9300 actually runs a little too hot for comfort.....

My last board failure has prompted me to change my CPU cooler from one that stood tall and passed air to the back of the case to one that sits lower and also has some chance of cooling the GPU a little. I also always shut down the computer once I am finished now as, even at idle, I notice that the GPU heatsink is quite warm.

I hope your problems are not related to the board and that you find a solution soon.

Good luck.

I don't think my problem is a thermal fault with the board, as all I need to do is hit reset and it's right again for a couple of days without letting it cool or anything. I am doing a test atm. with the energy saver disabled so I can see if there is a kernel panic or something on the screen that gives more info. I will post if I find out more.

Is this not the problem that the BIOS doesn't support wake thru USB? If it is, a quick stab at the Power button brings mine back to life.

I don't let the system sleep, however it may be related to the energy saver switching off the display. I have left the system running for two days with just the screen saver and no display switch off and it seems to be doing better. Of course the LCD back light is on all the time, so it's not ideal, just trying to isolate the issue.

I just want to add a note (and a warning) for everyone.

On this board, both rev0 and rev1 do not support Dual link DVI (which limits the resolution)and they also do not support wake on USB. If those things are important for you then you should buy the newest ones (rev03). Even when you buy the latest rev you won't have those features unless you upgrade the bios.

Not been able to use dual link was a killer for me as I needed it for getting the full resolution out of my screen. Unfortunately, I only found out after buying this board. what makes matter worse is that I don't seem to be able to find a rev03 around.

I just want to add a note (and a warning) for everyone.

On this board, both rev0 and rev1 do not support Dual link DVI (which limits the resolution)and they also do not support wake on USB. If those things are important for you then you should buy the newest ones (rev03). Even when you buy the latest rev you won't have those features unless you upgrade the bios.

Not been able to use dual link was a killer for me as I needed it for getting the full resolution out of my screen. Unfortunately, I only found out after buying this board. what makes matter worse is that I don't seem to be able to find a rev03 around.

actually your wrong, i have REV 01, and latest bios, even though the bios dosnt support wake via usb if you set your power mangement in the bios to S1, and use the kexts suppled by hmiller, then you tell the hackintosh to sleep, and click your usb mouse and she will fire right up again........ has been tested mouse used microsoft optical mouse usb......

so i think your post is slightly incorrect, as for dual dvi link thats not important to me as i need the x16 slot for my dell TK208 card so i can have airport

just my 2pence worth

Ben

also ****AUDIO UPDATE****

delete any Voodoo HDA, as it dosnt work only get static, remove applehda kext file

and install with kext help the AppleAzillaAudio.kext attached.....

also remove ALCInject if its installed

what this will give you is line out, but no mic but least the sound works

Ben

I install these kext and give you all line in, out and mic. legacy 662 5.1.zip

legacy_662_5.1.zip

legacy_662_5.1.zip

Anyone tried the 10.5.8 update yet?

It broke my system, reboots with some audio related errors. Just trying to find out what possible got overwritten.

Safe mode still worked.

These are the .kexts in /S/L/E that have todays modified date against them since the 10.5.8 update.

System.kext

IPFirewall.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Not sure which is causing a problem, to fix it I removed the extensions.kext and did a repair permissions on the volume, after which the system boots again normally.

One thing I have noticed is that my screen saver eventually still kicks in even though I have set it to never. Any idea why that might happen?

BTW. My crashing issue after a few days problem caused the black dialog box wanting a reboot. Is there anyway to get a proper kernel panic message on the screen that might help debug, instead of just that standard Mac black dialog box message?

Anyone tried the 10.5.8 update yet?

It broke my system, reboots with some audio related errors. Just trying to find out what possible got overwritten.

Safe mode still worked.

These are the .kexts in /S/L/E that have todays modified date against them since the 10.5.8 update.

System.kext

IPFirewall.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Not sure which is causing a problem, to fix it I removed the extensions.kext and did a repair permissions on the volume, after which the system boots again normally.

One thing I have noticed is that my screen saver eventually still kicks in even though I have set it to never. Any idea why that might happen?

BTW. My crashing issue after a few days problem caused the black dialog box wanting a reboot. Is there anyway to get a proper kernel panic message on the screen that might help debug, instead of just that standard Mac black dialog box message?

boot -v, i would sujest you remove AppleIntelIntergratedFramebuffer.kext, and IntelGMAX3100FB.kext

they have been known to cause problems, and since you dont need them as this dosnt have a gma x3100 its not a problem, also try reinstalling the kexts from the archive i posted above useing kext helper, it has the confirmed working on 9300 as posted my hmiller attached.... that would be my first port of call, i will let you know how mine goes when i update to 10.5.8 later today

Ben

10.5.8 all installed fine for me. Cloned my system beforehand just in case, but all went well and all still works.....

I notice the update includes new AppleHDA and AppleSMBIOS kexts. I was using both of these as vanilla (only kext different from normal kexts that I have in SLE is ATY_init) and so the new ones caused no problems.

The legacyHDA kexts to get onboard audio working only function for AppleHDA up to 10.5.6, so anyone having KPs should check that kext first and (if desired) remove the one from 10.5.8 and put back in the old one from .6 to get it working again.

I am using Chameleon 2RC2 on a USB thumb drive at the moment and the SMBIOS injection from that still works under 10.5.8.

I notice the system profiler now also lists a Hardware UUID under the hardware overview that wasn't there before too.

EDIT: Also noticed that if I don't use Chameleon to inject the plist for SMBIOS then system profiler gives the following true information (instead of the old message "There was an error while gathering this information"):

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MCP7A

Model Identifier: MCP7A

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 6.00 PG

Serial Number (system): 1

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00012E2629C9

It is still not clever enough though to know what memory I have without using the inject.

mine updated fine though now my Azilla Audio Dosnt Work, how ever this could just be a plist edit now :) i will report back

mine updated fine though now my Azilla Audio Dosnt Work, how ever this could just be a plist edit now :) i will report back

whilst my sleep still works, it's currently not restarting properly..... will check shutdown, and if neccary will reinstall the kext pagages that worked on 5.7

whilst my sleep still works, it's currently not restarting properly..... will check shutdown, and if neccary will reinstall the kext pagages that worked on 5.7

ok so shutdown works correctly its just the restart is has a issue with....... any idears?

ok so shutdown works correctly its just the restart is has a issue with....... any idears?

ok a simple reinstall of the kext package from hmiller, and my azallia audio, & restart works a treat. again now

• 3 weeks later...
Yes.

Hey there,

i also tried to get this f..... board working. Yes it works but without QE. So I´m also very interested in this working image, because I installed more than 20 times. So please tell where I can find it. Thank you for your trouble.