[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Here is an update for the ChameleonBoot stick - ready for Lion and SL 10.6.8 (don't use it for 10.6.7)

Howto is here

To prepare a Lion Install medium follow this guide, but use an USB stick instead of a partition. And don't install Chameleon nor copy any files from your Extra folder on it (therefore we have the Boot stick).

After installation you can boot Lion with this stick too and you have to patch AppleHDA.kext if onboard audio is in use.

Good luck!

Update: Image for 10.7.2 and patched Chameleon are here

ChameleonLionBoot.dmg

e60, I just tried the steps on that site you provided, and they totally worked. Thank you so much... :):D This new card makes my Windows installation reboot spontaneously (even after updating the drivers), so I may just have to use Hackintosh all the time... Again, thanks!

-katapaltes

UPDATE: Just installed 10.7 Lion per Oleg's Chameleon file and links above. I had to remove the GT 430 that e60 *just* helped me get working, or else the install wouldn't proceed. :D After the install, I patched (copied two new files into) AppleHDA.kext using Oleg's links on this same page and now I have sound. Now booting with the USB stick to 1080p with sound. Not sure if QE/CI is working or not as widget launch doesn't produce ripples, but Chess application works...

-kat

• 3 weeks later...

@x4nd0r

Yes. :) I used tonymacx86's Guide and it worked flawless for me. Only thing I had to do before installing Lion, was deleting the ...

PCIRootUID

... string from com.apple.Boot.plist. Otherwise Lion will stuck if you get to the [ pci configuration begin ] message.

Sound is working perfectly with tmongkol's ALC885_889a_LION.zip from this Thread.

Hey I have been running snow leopard 10.6.6 using this guide for awhile now... But I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and this led to snow leopard not being able to boot up. It hangs at appleintelcpupowermanagementclient.kext. I also updated to the latest chimera bootloader. How do I get it to boot again? I am running on a Gigabyte E7AUM with a Intel Quad Core Processor as well as a Nvidia GTS 250.

Hey I have been running snow leopard 10.6.6 using this guide for awhile now... But I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and this led to snow leopard not being able to boot up. It hangs at appleintelcpupowermanagementclient.kext. I also updated to the latest chimera bootloader. How do I get it to boot again? I am running on a Gigabyte E7AUM with a Intel Quad Core Processor as well as a Nvidia GTS 250.

Where's my crystal ball ... ? :)

Contents of your Extra folder, especially the Extensions?

DSDT?

Which items are in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

Where's my crystal ball ... ? :(

Contents of your Extra folder, especially the Extensions?

DSDT?

Which items are in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

I have no clue what is in either of those. How do I check if I cant boot into mac anymore? All I know is that I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and right after a pop up screen appeared and told me I needed to shut down or restart my computer. After that, I keep getting stuck at that same kext...appleintelcpupowermanagementclient

I have no clue what is in either of those. How do I check if I cant boot into mac anymore? All I know is that I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and right after a pop up screen appeared and told me I needed to shut down or restart my computer. After that, I keep getting stuck at that same kext...appleintelcpupowermanagementclient

So what was your reason to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], did you have any problems?

What did you try out after that?

Are you able to boot your Mac OS X Install DVD?

Are you able to boot your installation with the help e.g. of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

Do you have a TM backup before your [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] experiments? Any important data on your HD?

So what was your reason to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], did you have any problems?

What did you try out after that?

Are you able to boot your Mac OS X Install DVD?

Are you able to boot your installation with the help e.g. of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

Do you have a TM backup before your [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] experiments? Any important data on your HD?

The only reason I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is because the new chimera bootloader messed up my video card I had installed (gts 250). And then after it told me I and to shut down it kept hanging so I took out my video card an went with onboard video. I've tried booting with -f -x -s CPUs=1 and none work. I don't have time machine and I had alot of data on that Mac. And I forget how to go about booting with the CDs as i did this a long time ago. Is there any way to revert a change when trying to boot? I'm completely stuck and I think I'm going to have to do this all over again with a new install :/

The only reason I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is because the new chimera bootloader messed up my video card I had installed (gts 250). And then after it told me I and to shut down it kept hanging so I took out my video card an went with onboard video. I've tried booting with -f -x -s CPUs=1 and none work. I don't have time machine and I had alot of data on that Mac. And I forget how to go about booting with the CDs as i did this a long time ago. Is there any way to revert a change when trying to boot? I'm completely stuck and I think I'm going to have to do this all over again with a new install :/

ok, I would try out the following:

At first take out your video card and leave a max. of 2 GB RAM into the banks.

- Try out [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] -> to boot your Mac OS X Install DVD.

(May be it can boot your installation, I don't think so.)

- Fire up terminal.app

rm -R /Volumes/YOURHD/Extra
rm /Volumes/YOURHD/boot
rm /Volumes/YOURHD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

- Prepare a ChameleonBoot Stick like described here

- Shut down and reboot with the ChameleonBoot Stick

- If it works you can plug in additional RAM.

- Your video card should work with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (as boot argument or change the value in com.apple.Boot.plist) or look a few posts above.

Good luck!

@x4nd0r

Yes. :) I used tonymacx86's Guide and it worked flawless for me. Only thing I had to do before installing Lion, was deleting the ...

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>0</string>

... string from com.apple.Boot.plist. Otherwise Lion will stuck if you get to the [ pci configuration begin ] message.

Sound is working perfectly with tmongkol's ALC885_889a_LION.zip from this Thread.

*Edit*

For those of you who don't know what to do with your com.apple.Boot.plist and your smbios.plist, or if you simply don't want to loose time :) you can download these "generic" ones ...

Hi,

I have quick question regarding Lion on this mono: have You LAN/Sound working after resume ?

If so - may You pls forward me Your dsdt.aml ?

I was able install Lion on this mono (NullCPUPowerManagemet + SleepEnabler + sound from thread You mention). All peripherals are working OK after OS boot. I have also working sleep - but after resume LAN reports "cable unplugged"; audio is dead :-(

br

Hi Warped,

unfortunately Lion didn't change anything about the resume situation. Oleg and I tried to figure out how to solve this thing, but we have not been successful so far. It seems to be something Kext / Bios related, just like the Onboard-GPU thing patched by Adidasprince.

By the way, I have to repeat myself. You only need FakeSMC, EvOReboot / OpenHaltRestart, ALC899a / tmongkol's ALC889a 10.7 hack and JMicron Kexts in your \Extra\Extensions folder! :rolleyes: Please stop using Kexts like "NullCPUPowerManagemet" or "SleepEnabler". All these Kexts are not necessary for our Board.

One last note. Please remember that if you want to use tonymacx86's Guide, you either have to remove all RAM greater than 2GB or use a dedicated Graphic Card. Adidasprince's patch is not included into the Chimera Bootloader.

Here is an update for the ChameleonBoot stick - ready for Lion and SL 10.6.8 (don't use it for 10.6.7)

Howto is here

To prepare a Lion Install medium follow this guide, but use an USB stick instead of a partition. And don't install Chameleon nor copy any files from your Extra folder on it (therefore we have the Boot stick).

After installation you can boot Lion with this stick too and you have to patch AppleHDA.kext if onboard audio is in use.

Good luck!

This process PERFECTLY worked for me. Thank you very much.

Is the above a lion "clean" install method? I have just started on a E7AUM-DS2H install attempt and would rather not go through the early methods or even use the SL retail disk if I don't have to. I have a usb Lion stick that I used to upgrade a SL drive fron 10.6.8 to Lion using Tonymac86's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. But I don't think I have seen a clean Lion install step by step yet for this board or a similar board.

Any pointers?

This process PERFECTLY worked for me. Thank you very much.

Is the above a lion "clean" install method? I have just started on a E7AUM-DS2H install attempt and would rather not go through the early methods or even use the SL retail disk if I don't have to. I have a usb Lion stick that I used to upgrade a SL drive fron 10.6.8 to Lion using Tonymac86's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. But I don't think I have seen a clean Lion install step by step yet for this board or a similar board.

Any pointers?

hi dizzy,

what's the problem? It seems you have a workin' Lion Installation on this board.

hi dizzy,

what's the problem? It seems you have a workin' Lion Installation on this board.

I have a working lion on a newer gigabyte sandy bridge board.

I am trying to install SL and then lion on a GA-E7AUM-DS2H stripped down to 2 g with the onboard gpu. I just crashed the working, booting 10.6.0 by trying the 10.6.8 combo update. Tried to then restore the 10.6.0 from time machine. Failed after the restore went past 100% and the time remaining showed several hundred-million hours remaining :D If I wait for it to crash (or move the mouse it seems) I get am error log page or a full reboot.

I will be starting over.

The tonymac [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] -SL install + AsereBLN_1.1.9_GA_E7AUM_DS2H_Installer got me to 10.6.0 and I am guessing I should try [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]- SL - 10.6.8 combo and then

- AsereBLN_1.1.9_GA_E7AUM_DS2H_ Installer.

I am trying to assemble my own step by step text file since I got the working 10.6.0 kinda late at night and am not sure the exact steps I used. :) I know I got the info from this thread but I am having trouble finding it.

If I can figure out how to skip straight to lion in a repeatable fashion, I would just do that. I have a lion install esd dmg bought from the app store (I had to dig it out of the time machine on that computer) which seems to cover all the computers in my house (as far as trying to be legal) Several people told me it was too much trouble to put it on this board but that just means I gotta wrestle with it until I beat it or am convinced by trial and error.

Thanks for all the work you have done on this e7aum board

:)

Any pointers to an updated howto for either 10.6.8 on this board or lion?

Any pointers to an updated howto for either 10.6.8 on this board or lion?

ok, I see.

If you just want to install Lion go to Post 651 download the image, prepare the Boot stick and the Install medium. All required informations are linked there.

You can use all your RAM, because the Boot stick contains a patched Chameleon for this board.

I assume, you are familiar with the post installation steps (sound, cache)

If you want to install Chameleon on your HD, take the attached one. It's patched like the one on Boot stick.

Good luck!

chameleonRC5_rev1093.zip

When making the bootstick, I don't understand how I can dd to an unmounted drive (or I don't understand "unmount" in this context)

When I eject it, or drag it to the trash(the only ways google suggest to unmount a usb drive) in line 4d, it no longer shows up using the mount command and looking in /dev/ rdisk3 (the one I see in info) is not in the directory which the command line uses in 4e

I also am changing the name in the example to match the name of the lion boot dmg from post 651

Please tell me what simple yet elusive mistake I am making or how to unmount the usb drive and still leave it in the /dev directory.

Update. Found it. In finder after removing and reinserting the drive, a right click or control click on the drive gave a menu which had both eject and unmount as choices. Choosing unmount at this menu did not remove it from /dev/ like eject or drag to trash does.

Also note It took me a few frustrating minutes to remember that when I wander around the drive in terminal, I must go back to my home dir (~) before running the command or use the full path from where I am.

Trying again ;)

ok lion installed. no post install config done yet... How do I install the chameleon boot zip file. Is it copied somewhere as is? is it copied to a directory and compiled?

Google tells me a lot of seemingly irrelevant ways to upgrade an existing version but I can't seem to find the install to boot drive method... yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed that the interest in this board continues. I am looking for a dedicated HTPC board and I think I am going to dig this thing out of my closet and fire it up, but as far as I have read, HDMI audio isn't that easy over igp. Since I have set up and torn down this build dozens of times since the days it first came out, I don't think it should be much trouble getting it running. My only question is: what kind of success have people had setting this thing up with discrete graphics like a 420gt which is known to have good audio over hdmi support? I am not sure if I am going to need to mess with a dsdt or not.

I will read through this thread from where I left off about two years ago, but any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

anybody get icloud working in 10.7.2?

I got it installed fine, but I get a "This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account" message.

it looks like the interwebs solution is to install an updated counterpart of chameleon, but given that ours is "special" (patched), I'm loathe to just start randomly trying stuff.

anybody get icloud working in 10.7.2?

I got it installed fine, but I get a "This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account" message.

it looks like the interwebs solution is to install an updated counterpart of chameleon, but given that ours is "special" (patched), I'm loathe to just start randomly trying stuff.

hi shawndoggy,

attached:

chameleon2.1-rev1666 patched for our board (IGP + more than 2GB RAM).

With this version 10.7.2 + iCloud should work.

Formarly com.apple.Boot.plist in /E must be renamed to org.chameleon.Boot.plist now.

The keys for RAM in smbios.plist will not be read correctly - use the key "UseMemDetect", value "Yes" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist instead. This will show you the RAM in System Profiler.

BTW: For dualboot with Win7 boot0md may be useful.

Good luck!

Update: And a new image for a ChameleonBoot stick

chameleon2.1_rev1666.zip

ChameleonLionBoot.dmg

hi shawndoggy,

attached:

chameleon2.1-rev1666 patched for our board (IGP + more than 2GB RAM).

With this version 10.7.2 + iCloud should work.

Formarly com.apple.Boot.plist in /E must be renamed to org.chameleon.Boot.plist now.

The keys for RAM in smbios.plist will not be read correctly - use the key "UseMemDetect", value "Yes" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist instead. This will show you the RAM in System Profiler.

BTW: For dualboot with Win7 boot0md may be useful.

Good luck!

dumb question... but how do i install this on the bootstick? I've just done the restore boot image method you came up with in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody ,

I have recently started to play around with Hackintosh Installations and now i decided to move completely for Lion as a home server OS.

I have te Ga E7-AUM in a HTPC/Server configuration running 4GB of Ram and the onboard 9400 card. Output is exclusively over HDMI to the AV Receiver.

I have installed LION with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method which worked perfectly fine. I have installed the necessary Kexts, but no boot loader.

What is running:

Network

Graphics

Speedstep?

I can reboot after installing Haltenabler.kext

Not working:

Sound

Bootloader

My problem is that i cannot get the Chameleon boot loader you posted here (Version for 10.7.2) to work.

I have installed ithe image to a bootable USB stick. When i boot up with this stick, i get this message from chameleon: can't find /mach_kernel

When i insert both the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] lion installer stick AND the chameleon boot stick i get into the chameleon boot menu and the boot works perfectly fine WITH 4 GB of Ram!

If i use only the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] stick, i cannot boot up with more than 2 GB of Ram as expected...

I would like to get the Chameleon stick running with sound and everything else before installing it to my Hard disk as it screwed up my install last time...

Is there a way to install it directly to Hard drive and get the sound over HDMI working?

Right now there is no Sound output device...