[Guide]GA EP35 DS4 Install - Chameleon 2.0 RC2 EFI Patition - 10.5.6 Retail (Update 10.5.8) & Boot132 - DSDT patched GFX, Audio, NIC

FKA

176 posts in this topic

I went to the store and bought a retail osx dvd.

I booted my pc with boot132 cd, swapped to the retail DVD and WHOAH IT WORKED!!! It picked it up and started loading up.

At the end of the installation it give me the message "Installation failed" and something about the installer not being able to prepare the hard disk for boot. What the heck?!

Congratulations!

Don't worry about that message. The install has just detected that it wont be able to boot from the HDD, which it wont until you install Chameleon "a boot loader"!! So carry on following the guide.

Personally I dont get this message with the Vanilla Boot132 iso linked in this guide which is why I use it. I have had it with other Boot132 images and the install works just fine despite the message.

You can always try to install with a Boot132 built for your MB from DFE's Boot132 resources or make your own!

D.

YES I finally did it! RETAIL OSX IS NOW INSTALLED !!! :)))

VERY HAPPY

(I am having a couple of nuisances 1) the reboot/shutdown bug - very annoying and 2) the Ralink wi-fi driver (ASUS W130 N wi-fi PCI card) launches every time on boot and I have to connect to the network manually - it does not seem to keep the settings from the previous time. Could it be the reboot bug to blame?)

Good on ya mate! :)

Hope you manage to get your restart and wifi problems sorted. I'm sure you'll mange, there's enough info on this site and the wiki.

D.

Good on ya mate! :)

Hope you manage to get your restart and wifi problems sorted. I'm sure you'll mange, there's enough info on this site and the wiki.

D.

Restart/shutdown bug fixed thanks to this awesome post here

The wi-fi thingie that is annoying is that the Ralink application every time the osx environment starts (but still connects to the pre-selected SSID automatically). Not sure why it does it :/

Still, I am very happy and renewed thanks to you for your patience!

Hi

Cam you detail a bit more how you made audio work?

I just installed a Iatkos version vanilla and upgraded to 10.5.6 but I havent been lucky with Audio.

I get the speaker icon but no sound

thanks

Hi

Cam you detail a bit more how you made audio work?

I just installed a Iatkos version vanilla and upgraded to 10.5.6 but I havent been lucky with Audio.

I get the speaker icon but no sound

thanks

Hi Washe

In system preferences > sound try selecting different output devices.

Basically all my input and output channels are recognised but some are labeled incorrectly.

The stereo output on my rear audio panel is recognised as 'internal speakers'.

Hope this helps.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated quite a bit on this guide today.

- Now using only Legacy kexts on EFI partition - no more patched kexts in /S/L/E

- Creating Extensions.mkext for EFI partition

- Update to 10.5.7

- Edited some missleading rubbish I'd written about Windows 7

D.

Do you think this will work with a DFI P35 T2RS Motherboard will work? It has the same P35 And Intel ICH9R chipset. I am currently running on 10.5.2 kalyway and i can say its quite buggy. Motherboard Spec: http://us.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmproduct/X...&itemId=531

As good as Kalyway is, I have to agree, I gave up on it some time ago.

I think you should give it a go, your MB specs are very similar.

2 major differences are the Marvel NIC and 885 audio. I know koalala's patcher covers the alc885 audio chipset, I don't know about the marvel nic with DSDT patch but I know there is support.

I need to add it to my guide but if you are running any PATA devices you'll need pcwiz's 64 bit Jmicron driver found here (There's a marvel NIC driver on that page too.)

If you have 4MB+ of RAM you'll exerience kernal panicks without it.

D

Any chance your guide wouldn't work on a Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R?

I've compared both your GA EP35 DS4 and my EP35C DS3R and the only difference really is the 2nd PCIe x16, take a look here!

I'm fairly new to this and what I don't really get is why does the new BIOS need to be pached

It worked fairly well for me on a GA-EP35C-DS3R (2.1). The things that I am still playing with are:

1. Sound (identified correctly in profiler, but not working).

2. I think we need the nic driver from Psystar still for bonjour, etc..

3. E7400 identified as a 3.0 GHz processor (really 2.8 GHz)???

4. Memory identified at wrong speed, 800 vs 1066.

5. Need to test sleep!

Thanks for the great write up fiddles101!!!

Hi Washe

In system preferences > sound try selecting different output devices.

Basically all my input and output channels are recognised but some are labeled incorrectly.

The stereo output on my rear audio panel is recognised as 'internal speakers'.

Hope this helps.

D

First, many thanks for this tutorial – the cleanest install I ever had! :thumbsup_anim:

I got the same Sound-Problem like Washe. Strange thing is: System-Profiler lists my Sound Device perfectly as "Intel High Definition Audio", with AudioID and everything in place. But I cant select an Output Device in the System Preferences. Any Idea for a workaround?

fiddles101,

How did you figure out the Network, Hardware location? I wanted to try the DSDT patcher on another board, GA-EP45-UD3P...

Hi cwall64

type ioreg in terminal or install Xcode tools and use ioregExplorer app.

Audio - have you selected the correct output device in systen preferences/audio?

did you installed the patched AppleHDA kext or the LegacyHDA kext ? either or (not both) should work. See this post here for more info.

- Memory can be set in smbios.plist in Chameleon 2. See Chameleon 2 posts.

- CPU can also be set. I forget where but have done it in the past (not really that bothered about the cosmetic bits). You may be able to edit that info in smbios.plist too. Search the forum you will find an answer.

- NIC - you may be right about bonjour, until my Mrs lets me add her MacBook pro to my network I can't test. She doesn't trust me with it - god knows why!!

- Sleep doesn't work here either. I managed to get montior shutdown with a nVidia card but now on ATI get nothing!

D

First, many thanks for this tutorial – the cleanest install I ever had! :D

I got the same Sound-Problem like Washe. Strange thing is: System-Profiler lists my Sound Device perfectly as "Intel High Definition Audio", with AudioID and everything in place. But I cant select an Output Device in the System Preferences. Any Idea for a workaround?

What audio chipset are you working with?

D

Realtek ALC889A on GA-EP35-DS4 with BIOS F2.

In the meantime I was exchanging the Systems' Preferences-Files "com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist" and "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist" with those of my last Retail-Installation, since they go some entries and those using your method not ... no result. Don't know why, just thought it might help ... :D

Now I'm thinking about a Bios-Flash/new patched DSDT.aml - Curious to get the Sound running, this Install seems perfect.

Realtek ALC889A on GA-EP35-DS4 with BIOS F2.

In the meantime I was exchanging the Systems' Preferences-Files "com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist" and "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist" with those of my last Retail-Installation, since they go some entries and those using your method not ... no result. Don't know why, just thought it might help ... ;)

Now I'm thinking about a Bios-Flash/new patched DSDT.aml - Curious to get the Sound running, this Install seems perfect.

You shouldn't need to change those plists, put them back as they where.

OK 1st - do you have a volume (speaker) icon on the top bar next to the time? If so you just need to change the output device in 'system preferences' > 'sound' it should be 'internal speakers'

If no icon have you installed with kexthelper the patched AppleHDA.kext? or (NOT BOTH) the legacyHDA kexts to your EFI/Extra/Extensions?

If you installed AppleHDA kext prior to 10.5.7 update you will have to reinstall it. It is preferable to use the LegacyHDA kexts though!

Finally I would download from Gigabyte the latest BIOS F5 (not the beta BIOS F6, this has problems.) Flash F5 bios to MB and create new DSDT.aml with patcher and F5 ROM file.

Let me know how it goes.

D.

4MB+ Ram? lol? i have 4GB

a typo smartass :D

Hi cwall64

Audio - have you selected the correct output device in systen preferences/audio?

did you installed the patched AppleHDA kext or the LegacyHDA kext ? either or (not both) should work. See this post here for more info.

- CPU can also be set. I forget where but have done it in the past (not really that bothered about the cosmetic bits). You may be able to edit that info in smbios.plist too. Search the forum you will find an answer.

- NIC - you may be right about bonjour, until my Mrs lets me add her MacBook pro to my network I can't test. She doesn't trust me with it - god knows why!!

- Sleep doesn't work here either. I managed to get montior shutdown with a nVidia card but now on ATI get nothing!

D

D

fiddles101,

Thanks for the ioreg command! I also found the values hard coded in the smbios.plist file for cpu and memory - thanks. My audio chipset is the ALC889A. I included a screenshot of the audio. And yep, sleep doesn't work still...

Picture_1.tiff

fiddles101,

Thanks for the ioreg command! I also found the values hard coded in the smbios.plist file for cpu and memory - thanks. My audio chipset is the ALC889A. I included a screenshot of the audio. And yep, sleep doesn't work still...

Have you installed either Legacy HDA kexts OR patched AppleHDA kext?

If you have then I would move to upgrade your BIOS to f5. Remembering to create a new DSDT.aml with the f5 BIOS ROM file.

D

Hi cwall64

D

D

My fault on the audio (ALC889A), I didn't have HDAEnabler,kext in the EFI partition with the 2 LegacyHDA kexts! NIC, I did some testing and the built in driver for the NIC works fine for transfering files and surfing - but for the audio sharing in iTunes (bonjour - daap protocol) you need to use the Psystar driver RealtekR1000.kext. Sleep is still an issue, but not as much since timed sleep (options, sleep at x time). Thanks for all the hard work!

My fault on the audio (ALC889A), I didn't have HDAEnabler,kext in the EFI partition with the 2 LegacyHDA kexts! NIC, I did some testing and the built in driver for the NIC works fine for transfering files and surfing - but for the audio sharing in iTunes (bonjour - daap protocol) you need to use the Psystar driver RealtekR1000.kext. Sleep is still an issue, but not as much since timed sleep (options, sleep at x time). Thanks for all the hard work!

If you have patched audio with DSDT.aml you don't need HDAEnabler.

Have a read of koalala's thread here if you've patched correctly (koalala's patcher should be patching your BIOS fine with no errors and no need to do any further messing around.), pin config and config data are reported correctly from DSDT.aml file (this is also the function HDAEnabler serves.) Layout ID however isn't, which is why we still need the Lagacy HDAKext.

Having done some messing around I've found you only need the LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext - the correct layout id for ALC889a is in this plist only kext!

Here's my Extensions.mkext.zip from my /EFI/Extra/ folder

I've heard some reports that bonjour works without Psystars R1000 kext and some, like yourself, that it doesn't.

Untill I've tested myself I'm going to reserve judgment. But if it works for you, good on ya!

D.

If you have patched audio with DSDT.aml you don't need HDAEnabler.

Have a read of koalala's thread here if you've patched correctly (koalala's patcher should be patching your BIOS fine with no errors and no need to do any further messing around.), pin config and config data are reported correctly from DSDT.aml file (this is also the function HDAEnabler serves.) Layout ID however isn't, which is why we still need the Lagacy HDAKext.

Having done some messing around I've found you only need the LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext - the correct layout id for ALC889a is in this plist only kext!

I experienced the same problem.

With 10.5.6 everything was working like you are explaining here, but after 10.5.7 i still need the HDAEnabler despite having a correctly patched DSDT.aml (GA-P35-DS3 with Bios F14c).

In 10.5.6 everything worked with only the Legacy kexts for my ALC889a, with 10.5.7 and the same DSDT.aml the HDAenabler.kext is needed. Otherwise you get some error messages during bootup and no sound devices after logging in.

Maybe it has something to do with the altered AppleHDA.kext which is quite different than the previous ones.

/Cathul

Sounds working here, finally! :P

Switched from Firmware F2 to F5 then patched a new DSDT File. Reinstalled OSX. Still no sound, but System-Profiler now detects that the Output-Devices are missing. With Firmware F2 they were listed, even though not functional and not selectable in System-Preferences. I gave Extensions-Version II (the elegant one) a try and created a Extensions.mkext. That fully fixed it on 10.5.6.

Thanks again for this great Guide.

I experienced the same problem.

With 10.5.6 everything was working like you are explaining here, but after 10.5.7 i still need the HDAEnabler despite having a correctly patched DSDT.aml (GA-P35-DS3 with Bios F14c).

In 10.5.6 everything worked with only the Legacy kexts for my ALC889a, with 10.5.7 and the same DSDT.aml the HDAenabler.kext is needed. Otherwise you get some error messages during bootup and no sound devices after logging in.

Maybe it has something to do with the altered AppleHDA.kext which is quite different than the previous ones.

/Cathul

Hi Cathul

That's bizarre I'm running happily with 10.5.7 AppleHDA and only the LegacyHDAPlatformDriver from stickpin's beta v5. Same alc889a chipset!

Here's the 10.5.6 AppleHDA with edited plists for ALC889a. Try this without the HDAEnabler and LegacyHDA kexts.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

D