17" Technical Issues?

Swad

12 posts in this topic

I know it might be a little early to ask... but some of you always surprise me. ;)

Has anyone already gotten a 17" MBP yet? I'm curious because it sounds like they are using a totally different motherboard on this one, which means that it might be cured of some of the technical issues - like whining - that the other MacBooks have.

Any ideas?

Here in south australia, my iMac 20 I got one month ago is now on it's third (second replacement) motherboard due to intermitant not turning on issues. But it's resolved now and behaving itself.

I know three people here who have purchased 15" MacBooks, all recently, and all do quite clearly not have the severe heat or whining problems.

But i haven't seen 17"'ers yet.

Haven't had any so far. Sometimes internet seems a little weird, but I think its just my internet connection. Haven't heard a whine, and not too hot.

Are you going to install Bootcamp ? I've heard reports that people have problem with it. As I'm going to use windows a lot, it's very important for me.

My palms don't get too sweaty. The main heat is between the top of the keyboard and the lcd. However, if you're doing some processor intensive tasks (I was trying compressor), it burns up. I mean, if you touch the bottom, its like its on fire.

I did have to re-install OS X after using BootCamp. I think a standby that messed up corrupted the OS X partition. Though It may be MacDrive (which I have since uninstalled). For a while at least, keep backups.

The only "whine" I've noticed, don't even know if its a whine, is when there is a CD/DVD in the drive. If you're listening to something else, you won't notice it. Its very, very soft, nothing detrimental to the experience.

It sounds like the 17" have the same heat issues as the MBP with poor thermal paste application.

Man, I wish they'd fix these things soon! I really want to buy one!

I got mine yesterday.

A beautiful machine, truly. I've had no problem installing windows whatsoever, everything went smoothly.

No whine, the laptop is dead quiet. As for the heat, so far, it's bearable. Actually I expected something much worse. I could let it rest on my lap during the whole windows installation process, It got warm, really warm, but not "hot". I haven't tried yet some intensive task to really test the heat, later on this afternoon.

The battery holds very well : 2H15 of a DVD movie, plus 30 mns of web browsing before it died. I expect to gain half a hour more of battery later on.

I have one disapointment : I've read all over the web that the LCD screen is awesome, well, it isn't. It's pretty good, yes, but not the best I've ever seen, sony's screens are better for example.

Some more thoughts later ;)