So these are my reasons why Apple should go x86:
- We are living proof that there is a market for the OS.
- With Vista being such a dissapointment and Linux becoming more and more accesible, a new contender will be nothing but a healthy addition to both the market and the competition, not to mention that this would hurt MS monopoly badly. Also, this would give global economy a nice little boost.
- We are already doing QA as well as R&D, so we've proved that this is more than possible.
- Afraid of piracy? No problem, that's what makes everybody think of MS when talking about OSes. Almost everybody was born and raised using Windows, and that's what keep Windows being the OS of choice, and I can't remember the last time MS was on the verge of bankrupcy due to piracy.
- Apple already has a huge niche on the market: With the iPhone, the iPod, the iTunes store and the Apple Stores around the world, the addition of MacOSX to the product line-up will do nothing but help establish Apple as a brand (Not that it already hasn't).