Sucesses with JaS 10.4.6...

theSpam

123 posts in this topic

I just updated everything with the dvd and things are working great except for the login screen comes up every time. I tried to turn it off in the properties, but it still keeps coming up when I boot.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Could it be that its starting in single user mode?

If so, how do you tell if the gui is in single user mode?

Thanks

try using the sse2 kernel that should fix the issue

try disabling htt in your bios

Haven't tried to get it working again, but I wanted to say thanks for all your hard work!

Also, in order to get it to the stage I got to, I after running the install the first time, I had to boot the install disk again as if I was doing an upgrade. When I checked to see what hacks were actually installed, the 10.4.6 update wasn't (even though it was originally checked). So after checking that and installing it, I was able to get past the kernel panic. Is this normal?

I'll try the SSE2 thing next, but will the performance be less than a working SSE3 install? I used True Image in my Windows partition to create a backup of my working 10.4.5 install, so I don't mind playing with it :pirate2:

Thanks again for your help!

Well, the new disc gets me past that little bug in the start-up screen, BUT it's not recognizing any of my drives. I've tried formatting them, and partitioning the drives, nothing's worked. Does the drive have to be in any specific format for OS X to recognize it? Thanks, and yes, I am a n00b at this, I much prefer the hardware aspect of PCs.

EDIT: Nvm, I used the Disk Checker (or something like that) in the top bar before installation to format the drive.

Well, the new disc gets me past that little bug in the start-up screen, BUT it's not recognizing any of my drives. I've tried formatting them, and partitioning the drives, nothing's worked. Does the drive have to be in any specific format for OS X to recognize it? Thanks, and yes, I am a n00b at this, I much prefer the hardware aspect of PCs.

EDIT: Nvm, I used the Disk Checker (or something like that) in the top bar before installation to format the drive.

Hi halolgnd ....

Yes under the menu bar the Disk Utility is to partition & format your drive. :(

Jas,

You are the man for me today! I just did a fresh install with this dvd on my P4Dual-915GL and all is great. Thank you very much.

BTW, I see there are two additional updates from apple (java and something for ipod). I am pretty sure I don't need them but do you think they might ruin something if I allow them to update?

Ah my computer's just FULL of problems today. I got the thing installed, and after hecklingwith chain0 for 45 minutes I got that to work too. But it seems I'm cursed, my computer's having more problems with OS X. I can get to the boot screen, that's all good, BUT I wait for a bit for the thing to load and the image of a circle with a line through it appears over the apple symbol (if you've seen those don't smoke signs, it's that symbol over the Mac). I've tried re-formatting, reinstalling, and doublechecking my boot files, but nothing seems to work. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jas,

You are the man for me today! I just did a fresh install with this dvd on my P4Dual-915GL and all is great. Thank you very much.

BTW, I see there are two additional updates from apple (java and something for ipod). I am pretty sure I don't need them but do you think they might ruin something if I allow them to update?

i updated the java and havnt noticed any problems scince... well yet!

Guest goodtime

Very pleased with the 10.4.6 JaS jMac DVD. Works great on my GMA 900 Desktop. Works on my Radeon 9200 Laptop (except uses VESA 2.0, but no biggy).

Think I am going to get a MacBook when it comes out and sell my X1000 laptop. OSx86 on laptops can be more difficullt than any desktop config.

Cheers,

GT

I lost CI and QE when doing a fresh install on my Hackintosh with GMA900. I specifically installed the GMA900 package when installling. Anyone know how to get around this one?

Thanks,

/blkblt

Guest goodtime

Is your GMA 900 a desktop or a laptop. I got burned trying to help some laptop users.

I have a hack that you can try on: art5dog.com/techcast that works for desktop users with some random occuring artifacts, but it will get CI and QE working.

Try extracting the GMA900 package and reinstalling the drivers.

I've tried everything on my copy from reformatting up to four times and reinstalling five times. Nothing's working or me, if anyone else is encountering this prob, reply with a solution, if there is one. It's the circle with a line thru it over tha mac symbol at the boot screen. Thanks

Have the same problem with my desktop pc, for me it has something to do with my hard disk, os x doesn't seem able to find it. Try booting with the -v option and you will see where it goes wrong. (if you can't boot with any options try pressing F8 when it boots to get a screen where you can enter boot options)

Try to press F8 during the "cursor animation", it works for me.

There a way to show again that useful "boot menu"... i think yes by some darwin command but i don't know how...

Thx, tried this already - pressing F8 has no effect...

For boot menu: If you are using chain0 for dual booting you have to set Timeout in Boot.plist. By default it doesn't come with any Timeout, so it goes back to first menu.

Can you please explain this for a mac newbie?

I´ve found boot.ini and com.apple.Boot.plist

the boot.ini list an boat loader with a timeout of 30 and a default entry for multi disk partition with WinXP

the operating system entry only lists WinXP with noexecute=optin and fastdetect as options

the Boot.plist only has three entries: Kernel, Kernel Flags and Boot Graphics.

btw: the osx partition is primary and active, when i boot with ultimate boot disk i can start winxp with the "start form second hdd" option....

I would if I could see this option, the only thing my screen shows is the following:

- on startup I get the option [Press any key] darwin x86 startup

[F8] extra options

then I get a

- white screen with a nice apple foor about 5 minutes

following by a lightblue screen for 3 minutes

then the mac osx installer appears with:

- language settings

- introduction

- license

- select destination (where no disks appear, because no notice of SATA drives)

then on top of the screen theres a apple taskbar where I'll find:

- installer

- file

- edit

- window

- utilities - startupdisk

- reset password

- disk utility

- terminal

- system profile

- network...

So there are no options on my screen where I can change anything.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong or is it anything else???

just before osx does the full install bit there is a customize button on the screen slightly to the left like any osx install

it has options of what to install.. like extra languages and fonts etc

it should have options like sse2 sse3 and maybe one relating to sata stuff

I have the same problem as timmermansm described but couldn’t see any clear advice.

Could any good men explain in details where to find this magic customize button? on what stage of installation (according to timmermansm's description) ? to apply nForce SATA and AMD patches.

Thanx in advance :hysterical:

Is your GMA 900 a desktop or a laptop. I got burned trying to help some laptop users.

I have a hack that you can try on: art5dog.com/techcast that works for desktop users with some random occuring artifacts, but it will get CI and QE working.

Try extracting the GMA900 package and reinstalling the drivers.

I'm using desktop GMA900, with Asrock MB.

I tried following those instructions and i got a completely garbled screen.

I'll give that package a try, thanks!

/blkblt

Well, I did a fresh install from dvd on my laptop, but now no pcmcia card seems to be recognised, how annoying, think I'll go back to 10.4.5...

Had the same problem. Just copied over the IOPCIFamily and IO80211Family kexts from 10.4.5 and that fixed it.

Guest goodtime
I'm using desktop GMA900, with Asrock MB.

I tried following those instructions and i got a completely garbled screen.

I'll give that package a try, thanks!

/blkblt

I ran into that once, I think the scrambled screen is a type of encyrption in the video.

Hopefully the GMA900 Package will work for you, it worked for my on two different Partitions. No artifacts. You can look under the GMA900 comments on http://art5dog.com/techcast and you'll find the GMA900 Package. The pass is on the 2nd comment.

GT

:angel:

I have a curious probelm: I installed OSX without problems the first time upgrading Myzar's 10.4.5, the second time making a fresh installation, but when I reboot OSX doesn't boot. Using the Windows bootloader doesn't happen anything and if I boot from the install DVD i can see only the DVD as bootable. I tried to set as active the OSX partition but I get an "HFS+ partition error".

Could someone help me, please :P?

I have an Acer Aspire 5562 with an 80GB SATA HD and worked perfectly (even if without network) with Myzar's 10.4.5.

Thanks.

I ran into that once, I think the scrambled screen is a type of encyrption in the video.

Hopefully the GMA900 Package will work for you, it worked for my on two different Partitions. No artifacts. You can look under the GMA900 comments on http://art5dog.com/techcast and you'll find the GMA900 Package. The pass is on the 2nd comment.

GT

:blink:

I installed your package and the scrambling went away (yay!) but the QE/CI is still disabled. I repaired permissions and kextcached. Any ideas?

Thanks,

/blkblt