WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

Here is the info from system profiler.

Product ID: 0x0077

Vendor ID: 0x1737 (Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Inst.)

Version: 1.01

Serial Number: 1.0

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ralink

Location ID: 0xfd200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 450

Okay, I'll try to fix it in a few hours. Sorry about the wait, I'm in the middle of something.

Great thanks. :wacko: So my id's aren't in the info.plist file and that's why it's saying no device?

Chevy

I'm pretty sure they're in there, but I chose to convert all the ID's so they would be compatible with OSX vs. Windows, but I don't think it was necessary... sorry about that. Hopefully the new kexts will work.

Thanks so much Warstrong!! :) I am now able to surf wirelessly with the wusb54gc. I have to say that it wasn't for me, but for a friend of mine. I installed version 2 of the complete pkg on his machine and it worked the first time out. So now I was curious as to why it wouldn't work on my machine. Using version 3 of the complete pkg worked right out of the box.

Thanks so much,

Chevy.

Thanks so much Warstrong!! :P I am now able to surf wirelessly with the wusb54gc. I have to say that it wasn't for me, but for a friend of mine. I installed version 2 of the complete pkg on his machine and it worked the first time out. So now I was curious as to why it wouldn't work on my machine. Using version 3 of the complete pkg worked right out of the box.

Thanks so much,

Chevy.

Great! It should work perfectly for everyone 10.4 and up, and 10.3 might also be compatible... strange how v2 of the pkg worked for some and not others. Shouldn't have problems now though :(

It works! I got one today, it's either V1 or 2, and I had to install the kexts manually using kexthelper, but after that, it worked fine! One problem, though. It appears that this has messed up the shutdown function of my computer. Is this a known issue. How would I fix this? Thank you for these wonderful drivers! :blink:

EDIT: A little more information on what I just posted. Again, the drivers work perfectly, with good range and the whole 9 yards, but my laptop won't shutdown with the USB adapter plugged in. It shuts down, but then restarts immediately after shutting down. Now, if I unplug the USB adapter before I shut down, it shuts down perfectly, so it's no big deal. :) I'm just interested if this has happened to anyone else, or if there is a fix for it? Oh, and I don't need to replug or boot with -f or anything. Works fine with no hassle. Thank you again, so much.

P.S. Walmart and BestBuy are selling these for around 50 or 60 dollars, where as Target is selling them for 40. Best deal I've found, yet. :)

It works! I got one today, it's either V1 or 2, and I had to install the kexts manually using kexthelper, but after that, it worked fine! One problem, though. It appears that this has messed up the shutdown function of my computer. Is this a known issue. How would I fix this? Thank you for these wonderful drivers! :)

EDIT: A little more information on what I just posted. Again, the drivers work perfectly, with good range and the whole 9 yards, but my laptop won't shutdown with the USB adapter plugged in. It shuts down, but then restarts immediately after shutting down. Now, if I unplug the USB adapter before I shut down, it shuts down perfectly, so it's no big deal. :) I'm just interested if this has happened to anyone else, or if there is a fix for it? Oh, and I don't need to replug or boot with -f or anything. Works fine with no hassle. Thank you again, so much.

P.S. Walmart and BestBuy are selling these for around 50 or 60 dollars, where as Target is selling them for 40. Best deal I've found, yet. :)

Thanks. Try the Voodoo kernel, but make sure you follow the directions.

:) I've only tried the package installation so far, and it isn't working out for me =/ I just today installed 10.5.2 onto my Intel system with the Kalyway method. It's currently "triple" booting with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and itself, but I also have one other partition running another Windows 7. 2 Harddrives, one has 7 + OSX, the other has 7 + Vista.

The adapter I'm using is version 1, since it's Grey. I've read the other posts in this topic, but not sure where to find out other information xD Like Model ID and Vendor ID.

The 10.5.2 OS X is running fine, but I haven't been able to do much without the internet, any help would be appreciated xD

With the package currently installed, the Wireless Utility says "No Device!!"

Edit: Looks like the method I used to stop the Welcome screen loop has problems with networking :P

Anyone know a way to fix that? X.x

:P I've only tried the package installation so far, and it isn't working out for me =/ I just today installed 10.5.2 onto my Intel system with the Kalyway method. It's currently "triple" booting with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and itself, but I also have one other partition running another Windows 7. 2 Harddrives, one has 7 + OSX, the other has 7 + Vista.

The adapter I'm using is version 1, since it's Grey. I've read the other posts in this topic, but not sure where to find out other information xD Like Model ID and Vendor ID.

The 10.5.2 OS X is running fine, but I haven't been able to do much without the internet, any help would be appreciated xD

With the package currently installed, the Wireless Utility says "No Device!!"

Edit: Looks like the method I used to stop the Welcome screen loop has problems with networking :P

Anyone know a way to fix that? X.x

You tried to stop the Welcome Screen loop by limiting the resolution for the first boot, right? I remember doing that without any networking complications... just make sure your boot flags are the way they should be.

I didn't use the resolution method, I used the boot into single user mode and did the

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

passwd root

:) How do I check if my boot flags are properly placed? xD

I didn't use the resolution method, I used the boot into single user mode and did the

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

passwd root

:) How do I check if my boot flags are properly placed? xD

I'm not familiar with that method... The resolution method is simpler. I'm just using my iTouch at a dentist's office right now so I can't find the location of it, but the file is 'com.apple.boot.plist'. The message you're getting might mean that you have USB issues unrelated to the actual network settings. So try switching your kernel to the Voodoo kernel and updating the kext that handles USB (forgot the name).

Hmm I just tried updating to 10.5.7, ended up with Still Waiting for Root Device. So I went back and reinstalled so I'm back at 10.5.2, I attempted the "Graphics Mode"="........." trick, it sent me into the loop, well I only let it go till after the first loop. It went through one, then started the welcomes again, so I shut down my computer. How would I switch my Kernel to the Voodoo kernel and update the kext that handles USB?

I am unfamiliar with Mac and trying to connect my wife's Mac to our network. The system is an OSX 10.4.11 and I'm using a version 1 adapter. I have downloaded and installed this USBwirelessutility through the file in post 1. The program reads "No device!!" in the link status domain. From what I've read on this thread I'll need to change some files with kexthelper. I've downloaded kexthelper, though an error message informs me of an incompatibiliy issue which denies installation.

My problem is in understanding this entire process. My question is what must I do after the installation of usbwirelessutility to insure proper functioning of the wireless adapter? Thanks in advance to anyone who can facilitate some help to an ignorant (but eager to learn) Mac user!

Aaron

I meant that updating the kernel and the USB kext are more likely to fix the problem. It sucks that you got the Still Waiting for Root Device after updating. Maybe put your specs in your sig and then make a thread about that issue. It seems that you didn't do the Graphics Mode trick correctly, since the Welcome application can't run when the resolution is below 800x600, so choose a 4:3 or 16:10/16:9 resolution below that, and it should actually boot at that tiny resolution and skip over the Welcome app. Google for "Voodoo Kernel" and follow their documentation. As for updating the USB driver, I believe it usually works fine, but sometimes there are issues, so search google using

site:insanelymac.com whateveryoursearchis

and you'll eventually find the appropriate USB kext. You'll eventually want to update to 10.5.7+ though, so I suggest you work out the issue with that before putting much work into 10.5.2.

I am unfamiliar with Mac and trying to connect my wife's Mac to our network. The system is an OSX 10.4.11 and I'm using a version 1 adapter. I have downloaded and installed this USBwirelessutility through the file in post 1. The program reads "No device!!" in the link status domain. From what I've read on this thread I'll need to change some files with kexthelper. I've downloaded kexthelper, though an error message informs me of an incompatibiliy issue which denies installation.

My problem is in understanding this entire process. My question is what must I do after the installation of usbwirelessutility to insure proper functioning of the wireless adapter? Thanks in advance to anyone who can facilitate some help to an ignorant (but eager to learn) Mac user!

Aaron

Okay, I'll try to explain it. The USBWirelessUtility is an application made by Ralink that allows a bunch of devices with Ralink chipsets to work in OSX. The problem with their versions (so far) is that the WUSB54GC's Device ID and Product ID are missing from the file that defines what devices the accompanying driver will work with. The drivers work fine with the WUSB54GC once they've been edited, which is essentially what I did. There is a manual method described in the post linked to in the first post of this thread. The manual method should work for everyone with v1, so I recommend reading that.

Since I'm on summer vacation, I'll post my AIM screen name which people struggling can use to contact me: LakeT06

Nice, I updated to 10.5.7 with a couple errors, but I can open it fine, on the first open, I tried reinstalling the USBWirelessUtitility and got a Kernel Error, didn't take it too seriously and just restarted. When I got back on I was connected to a random internet server, pretty slow, so I opened USBWirelessUtility and connected to my usual connection. It connected fine, so I resumed my download for AIM for Mac and Firefox, after awhile, before any of them finished, I got another kernel error.

Both of these errors were given to me in Safe Mode.

I just booted in regular mode before I got here, I lost internet connection, and when I booted, I got 2 errors speaking of extensions of the USBWirelessUtility not being able to run. So I wasn't connected to any internet service =/

My AIM is also Lucster951, if that's any use xD Maybe some people have the same problem as me =p

I'm trying to install this on my laptop, which has a wireless card in it I cannot get drivers for.

I have the black version 3 one, I installed the package, but it gave me an error, I can't remember what it was.. I think It was something to do with Kexts... i'll see if I can reproduce it.

Yep,

DSC01736.jpg

Hey,

i'm installing a wusb54gc for my girl's mac g4 laptop. 10.4

so far it all works. the usbwireless utility works and gets a signal from my router (only in signal strength 1, thou)

i turn off the airport in the laptop and try to use the internet but nothing comes up. it says its not connected.

aftering installing the drivers and getting it to recognize and blink, how do i use it over my airport card which blows in signal strength?

thanks,

Vin

Hey,

i'm installing a wusb54gc for my girl's mac g4 laptop. 10.4

so far it all works. the usbwireless utility works and gets a signal from my router (only in signal strength 1, thou)

i turn off the airport in the laptop and try to use the internet but nothing comes up. it says its not connected.

aftering installing the drivers and getting it to recognize and blink, how do i use it over my airport card which blows in signal strength?

thanks,

Vin

Signal Strength 1 is the only one that matters I think.

I'm not really sure about choosing a certain card over another in System Preferences. Play around with the preferences and hopefully you can disable it like that. I actually remember disabling the Airport on a real mac and it worked right after that. Good luck.

Signal Strength 1 is the only one that matters I think.

I'm not really sure about choosing a certain card over another in System Preferences. Play around with the preferences and hopefully you can disable it like that. I actually remember disabling the Airport on a real mac and it worked right after that. Good luck.

Thanks. i got it working. had to go into Network and choose the new adapter, name it and then refresh the DHCP connection. done and done.

thanks for the help. this thread rocked it.

appreciated.

Vin

OK, I thought I was pretty computer savvy till i started reading this stuff to get my WUSB54GC working!!!

I have a silver one and have no clue what version it is because I cannot find where it would say that on the device, but i did just buy it last night. I have a G4 runninf 10.4.11 Tiger. I know with 10.4 you cannot use the OSx86Tool. I have opened up the Ralink Utility and never have seen anything in there. Tried dragging the extension directly into the extensions folder and authenticate them with no resolution, just an error like the person received a few posts ago about the extension not being recognized screenshot. I think what i guess i need is a really dumb it down version maybe, because with the different version of OSX and usb wireless stick i am just going to explode ;)

So if anyone wants to try and help me out with this, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

OK, I thought I was pretty computer savvy till i started reading this stuff to get my WUSB54GC working!!!

I have a silver one and have no clue what version it is because I cannot find where it would say that on the device, but i did just buy it last night. I have a G4 runninf 10.4.11 Tiger. I know with 10.4 you cannot use the OSx86Tool. I have opened up the Ralink Utility and never have seen anything in there. Tried dragging the extension directly into the extensions folder and authenticate them with no resolution, just an error like the person received a few posts ago about the extension not being recognized screenshot. I think what i guess i need is a really dumb it down version maybe, because with the different version of OSX and usb wireless stick i am just going to explode ;)

So if anyone wants to try and help me out with this, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

"Tried dragging the extension directly into the extensions folder"

That tells me you just used Finder to install the kext. That's not how you install kexts. There are ways to do it in Terminal, but the easiest way is with KextHelper. Just install KextHelper and use it to install the kexts.