• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

yeraym

yeraym

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I would like to ask for clarification on something though. I followed the instructions up until the point where iAtkos has been installed. I chose the recomended customisations and the install process completes without a problem. It then reboot and after the expected 5+ mins of loading the screen appears totally scrambled.

I read the other posts here and it said you got past the screen scrambling issue using the .pkg file from link you posted, but as I cant get iatkos to boot with graphics I don't know what to do.

Hi everybody and thanks for the guide. I'm in the same situation as Blanks. I followed the intructions but when partitioning I choosed to use mbr instead of GPT, does this makes any difference? is mandatory to use GPT?

If I try to boot with -v option, the last line before the screen gets scrambled is: "timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce"

What I'm doing wrong?

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I am probably retarded, but when I run some of the processes, they are being added to the small partition (you call yours failsafe).

For example, when I run dsdt, it adds the aml file to the / (which is my failsafe) rather than /Volumes/Vanilla.

When I tried to boot into Vanilla, it crashes right away.

Here's what I did. Perhaps I am a little off.

I installed iAtkos.
I loaded my disc into the dvd. I am not using a traditional retail, but one from my MBP-2008.
The OS installs just fine.
I then run the combo updater
I backup the S/L/E folder
I install DD kexts.
I install Yardies over DDs (meaning I get Yardie's updates over DD's)
I run the bootloader.
I copied the voodoo kernel (it is much smaller than the normal kernels)
I run dsdt
I reboot.
I crash.

I can't get into single user, verbose flashes very quickly and I can't see what it says.
I tried -x for failsafe, but it is hanging.

Thoughts?

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I am probably retarded, but when I run some of the processes, they are being added to the small partition (you call yours failsafe).

For example, when I run dsdt, it adds the aml file to the / (which is my failsafe) rather than /Volumes/Vanilla.

When I tried to boot into Vanilla, it crashes right away.

Here's what I did. Perhaps I am a little off.

I installed iAtkos.
I loaded my disc into the dvd. I am not using a traditional retail, but one from my MBP-2008.
The OS installs just fine.
I then run the combo updater
I backup the S/L/E folder
I install DD kexts.
I install Yardies over DDs (meaning I get Yardie's updates over DD's)
I run the bootloader.
I copied the voodoo kernel (it is much smaller than the normal kernels)
I run dsdt
I reboot.
I crash.

I can't get into single user, verbose flashes very quickly and I can't see what it says.
I tried -x for failsafe, but it is hanging.

Thoughts?

Have you copied the com.apple.Boot.plist? In this file you point your System to to the new (voodoo) kernel.
By default Boot.plist points to mach_kernel, but it should be mach_kernel.voodoo. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic right at the start.
That's why you can't even get into "-s mode".

Success for me!

Followed Yardies guide step by step, at some points the Paths are a little bit off but otherwise its quite nice!
Since i'm not using the Ati 3650 i had to use my own modified Boot.plist and had to install the new n7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg.

Only thing not working is onboard-sound, but that doesn't matter since i'm using a USB-Soundcard anyway.

System:
Dell XPS Studio
6GB
Ati 4850 (QE/CI)
2*500GB WD green

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Have you copied the com.apple.Boot.plist? In this file you point your System to to the new (voodoo) kernel.
By default Boot.plist points to mach_kernel, but it should be mach_kernel.voodoo. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic right at the start.
That's why you can't even get into "-s mode".
Success for me!

Followed Yardies guide step by step, at some points the Paths are a little bit off but otherwise its quite nice!
Since i'm not using the Ati 3650 i had to use my own modified Boot.plist and had to install the new n7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg.

Only thing not working is onboard-sound, but that doesn't matter since i'm using a USB-Soundcard anyway.

System:
Dell XPS Studio
6GB
Ati 4850 (QE/CI)
2*500GB WD green

Well, I just renamed the kernel from vooodoo to mach_kernel.

Also, where did you get the drivers? I did a search for them and couldn't find a package called n7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg.

I will try to run through it again this morning.

Thanks.

teddiesmooth

teddiesmooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Which USB Soundcard are you using? I would like to get one because I am at a standstill trying to get the onboard sound working.

Are you satisfied with the 4850 in OSX? I have been considering upgrading the one that came with my computer after I found out that the 48x0 will be officially supported (netkas).

@chipset
The com.apple.Boot.plist that Yardie gave us has the kernel as mach_kernel.voodoo . When you rename the file from voodoo, make sure you name it mach_kernel.voodoo OR change the kernel name in the com.apple.Boot.plist file to voodoo. It'll make it much easier when upgrading your computer to 10.5.7 because when you do that, if Apple made changes to the kernel, the file named mach_kernel will get overwritten with the Apple kernel. If you leave it as voodoo or mach_kernel.voodoo, you can avoid reinstalling the voodoo kernel.

For the video drivers, check out this post on netkas.org. Comment number 15 has links to rapidshare for drivers.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
The USB thingy actually came shipped with my Beyedynamic MMX 2 headset:

http://www.beyerdyna...Hash=4806b2cfd0

Should be nothing special, just a very simple basic USB device with mic and headphone jacks on the one end, and usb connector an the other. :)
Is directly detected by OS X, no driver or reboot needed, works oob.

Hope that helps! :)

I haven't had much time testing the 4850, ran a fast World of Warcraft test and had about 30FPS with every setting cranked up to max @1680*1050 in Dalaran (which is about three times as much as i had with my Late '08 MacBook Pro).
Rest of the night i had to wait until the data from my MacBook Pro was copied. During the weekend i'll be out, so no further testing until monday.

But I'm positively surprised about the volume of the 4850's fan, it's actuall quite silent (as opposing to that horrible case-fan).

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I am getting further along, but still having issues.

I have 10.5.6 up and running.
Ethernet is installed and working at Gigabit speeds.

However, I cannot change to the full cpu. Every time I do, it hangs.

I also don't have my graphics card working (4850). I downloaded the patch up above but the screen goes blank after the reboot.

I believe in order to fix the blank screen, I need to remove the device information from the Boot.plist file. Then I need to figure out why that isn't working.

Does anyone know why my machine would halt with multiple cores and hyperthreading turned on? I am using the VOODOO kernel from Yardie.

Thanks,
Thomas

teddiesmooth

teddiesmooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I believe in order to fix the blank screen, I need to remove the device information from the Boot.plist file. Then I need to figure out why that isn't working.

I would start fresh and remove the device EFI strings from the com.apple.Boot.plist file. That string includes the injector for audio, ethernet, and video. The vid string in the Yardie Boot.plist file is for the 3650 and would not help at all getting the drivers for the 4850 running. I would start with that, and once you get the vid working, you might not have to re-edit the EFI strings unless you object to using injectors like Natit.

Does anyone know why my machine would halt with multiple cores and hyperthreading turned on? I am using the VOODOO kernel from Yardie.

Make sure the DSDT.aml file is located in the root of your iAtkos and vanilla partitions. If I remember correctly the filename is case sensitive.

Last but not least, if you're still having issues getting your drivers to load correctly, boot into your iAtkos partition, erase the Extensions.mkext file (NOT the folder) and do a Disk Utility -> Repair Permissions on the Vanilla partition. Upon rebooting into vanilla, flush your driver cache (just to be on the safe side) by entering -f at the boot prompt.

Good Luck!

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I would start fresh and remove the device EFI strings from the com.apple.Boot.plist file. That string includes the injector for audio, ethernet, and video. The vid string in the Yardie Boot.plist file is for the 3650 and would not help at all getting the drivers for the 4850 running. I would start with that, and once you get the vid working, you might not have to re-edit the EFI strings unless you object to using injectors like Natit.
Make sure the DSDT.aml file is located in the root of your iAtkos and vanilla partitions. If I remember correctly the filename is case sensitive.

Last but not least, if you're still having issues getting your drivers to load correctly, boot into your iAtkos partition, erase the Extensions.mkext file (NOT the folder) and do a Disk Utility -> Repair Permissions on the Vanilla partition. Upon rebooting into vanilla, flush your driver cache (just to be on the safe side) by entering -f at the boot prompt.

Good Luck!

Well, I reinstalled for the umpteenth time. I have all cores represented. I am testing Handbrake right now.

I do not have the video working. I wasn't able to recover the system, as it would just blank out, even when I deleted the contents of the Boot.plist.

So, I am currently trying to figure out my next step. I may take a snapshop using CarbonCopyCloner to another drive. Once I do that, I mess with it and just have to restore, not a bunch of steps.

I did run into one problem this time, though. Upon booting, it said AppleSMBIOS.kext could not be loaded. I am not sure what that is. I am going to attempt a reinstall of that from Yardie's source.

That, and getting this damn video card going. Ugh. Good thing I have a ton of hard drives laying around. I wasn't able to install Vista on the same drive, so I am running OSX from USB. Not the best solution, but it works.

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Well, I am down to just my last little issue. Video card.

I have everything working and I think it is stable.

When I installed the video drivers, the screen stops working when it comes up. If I plug the DVI2VGA adapter into the second port, the video is a horrible 800x600.

I can still get to the system through screen sharing on one of the other macs in the house, but I would like to get the video working.

lun_IX. I know you are gone for the weekend, but what was your process for getting your video card working? Did you install the two files and reboot?

If I pull up System Profiler, it crashes when I select graphics.

Any help is appreciated.

I have everything working and I think it is stable.

When I installed the video drivers, the screen stops working when it comes up. If I plug the DVI2VGA adapter into the second port, the video is a horrible 800x600.

I can still get to the system through screen sharing on one of the other macs in the house, but I would like to get the video working.

lun_IX. I know you are gone for the weekend, but what was your process for getting your video card working? Did you install the two files and reboot?

If I pull up System Profiler, it crashes when I select graphics.

Any help is appreciated.

Never mind. Got it worked out. Needed a different driver. I found one that works but the screen was jittery. So, I fount Netkas' jitter fix and applied that. I am all set. Not the best resolution, but it will work (I am used to 1920 x 1200, it is 1600x1200). I am not going to get switchresx again. Did that once before. I will just wait that one out. :rolleyes:

Thanks, all

teddiesmooth

teddiesmooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Were you able to get sound working too? I would be very impressed if you were able to get that worked out!

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
hehe.. no.

I am not overly concerned about sound, as this is mainly going to be used as a media and encoding server.

I did get the video working. It turned out I needed to change video ports. Switched the cables and I was good to go.

Sound would be nice, but not required for me.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Glad I could be of help. B)

Congrats to your working video!

All I did was install the driver, replace Boot.plist with the one from vanilla-installation, switch DVI2VGA and normal DVI Cable and everything worked just fine.

Last thing i did today was replacing the Dell-installed case fan with a Noctua 92mm one. System's quite nice now but i can't find an application for reading out temperature sensors. Non but the HDD-ones seem to work.

Any idea on that?

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Try iStatPro. It's a widget.

I would try it out, but I am in the midst of reinstalling everything. I had it installed on an external USB drive. I couldn't get Vista to install on a GPT disk, so I bought a new 1.5TB drive for Mac OS. But, I have been having issues. Right now, I am getting panics right after boot. It's been a bunch of trouble. Ugh.

I can still boot to the USB drive, but I am having issues on the internal. I am waiting to see if it will boot up right now. Ugh.

Anyway, let me know if iStatPro works for you.

http://www.apple.com...s/istatpro.html

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble.
I think you must be missing one vital step in your kernel setup.

But one quick question: how were you able to boot from USB? I didn't find any option in BIOS to activate it?

Thanks for the tip, but sadly no software i've tested so far shows any other temperatures, than the hdd temp.
There just seems to be no sensor.

And i just found another problem:
When i put the computer to sleep and wake it, LAN doesn't work any more.
After a reboot everything is just fine.

teddiesmooth

teddiesmooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I did a fresh codec dump and am in the process of mapping the pinouts. Not that I doubt Yardie's efforts but I want to double check that the info that he provided (codec dump, pinouts, etc.) is accurate.

What I found interesting is when I was in Linux (Mandriva) I noticed two codecs:

codec#0 is the ATI audio passthrough (HDMI) (ATI HD3650)
codec#2 is the ALC888 codec

Since I am able to get sound out of the HDMI port in Mandriva and in Vista, I think it would just be a matter of making sure the ATI codec is in the AppleHDA.kext and that the pinouts from the "SPDIF Internal ATAPI" are routed properly. It might just be a matter of adding that to the AppleHDA.kext and putting the proper config information into the HDenabler.kext

@chipset

Have you tried using formatting your internal drive with the GPT boot record instead of MBR?

@lun_IX

I haven't tried booting from USB other than booting off a flash drive once. To do this I plugged the USB drive into the computer, booted up, and while the DELL splash screen is up press F12 and it will give you a list of drives that the BIOS detected after POST.

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble.
I think you must be missing one vital step in your kernel setup.

But one quick question: how were you able to boot from USB? I didn't find any option in BIOS to activate it?
Thanks for the tip, but sadly no software i've tested so far shows any other temperatures, than the hdd temp.
There just seems to be no sensor.
And i just found another problem:
When i put the computer to sleep and wake it, LAN doesn't work any more.
After a reboot everything is just fine.

You just use F12 and you can also set the boot order. It works pretty good, but it is a little bit slow. So, I wanted to put it on a fast dedicated drive. Plus, I won't have extra cables hanging out of the computer.

I had mine go to sleep but I didn't test the LAN. I will check it out for you.

@chipset

Have you tried using formatting your internal drive with the GPT boot record instead of MBR?

At first, I had a problem where the screen would come up blank, like there was no OS and it just hung. I have gotten past that.

I have done about 5 installs only to get the system to boot but any time I try to turn on hyperthreading and cores, it would hang during the boot process after finding reporting on the MACF.

I have even cloned the USB hard drive (Carbon Copy Cloner), which is supposed to make an exact duplicate and it doesn't work right. It will boot, but again, issues with the CPU.

I have followed the instructions diligently, used the DSDT.aml file provided, tried creating my own, etc.

Still trying to work through the issues.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

You just use F12 and you can also set the boot order. It works pretty good, but it is a little bit slow. So, I wanted to put it on a fast dedicated drive. Plus, I won't have extra cables hanging out of the computer.

That's weird, tried exactly that and the BIOS didn't offer me my USB- HDD as boot-option.
Well, no worries since i did it via iATKOS i5 DVD install.
(I just wanted to have a USB-HDD with 3 Partitions with 3 different distributions on them to try each and don't have to exchange DVD's every time. But since it worked out so well using iATKOS and didn't have to try any other distribution.)

chipset, you're able to boot up your vanilla install with disabled cores and HT?
Have you set "busratio=20" in your Boot.plist? You have to user that flag once you enable cores (using voodoo-Kernel that is).
And have you tried booting with the "-f" flag?

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

That's weird, tried exactly that and the BIOS didn't offer me my USB- HDD as boot-option.
Well, no worries since i did it via iATKOS i5 DVD install.
(I just wanted to have a USB-HDD with 3 Partitions with 3 different distributions on them to try each and don't have to exchange DVD's every time. But since it worked out so well using iATKOS and didn't have to try any other distribution.)
chipset, you're able to boot up your vanilla install with disabled cores and HT?
Have you set "busratio=20" in your Boot.plist? You have to user that flag once you enable cores (using voodoo-Kernel that is).
And have you tried booting with the "-f" flag?

I will verify after this install attempt. :) I am cloning a drive again, one that is fully set up and works but is USB.

Plug any USB drive in, and hit F12. It will show up. I had 4 USB drives plugged in at one point with three different installs of OS X on them. I have one called main that works well. I just wish I could get it to work completely on an internal 7500 RPM drive.

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I was able to get it installed on the smaller of my two drives. Instead of CCC, I used SuperDuper! Then you make the drive active with vsdbutil and install EFI.

It is working just as well as the USB, just much faster. I am now trying to reinstall on the 1.5TB drive. I was going to used the 750GB for Windows.

When I tried on the 1.5TB, I got a message related to oot0:GPT, oot0: HFS+, oot:error. So, I must've messed something up and am starting again. There is good news, it's very fast at copying data and only going through two steps.

After this, I can move it to a small portable usb drive and have a backup whenever I need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy