Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Figured it out - 9.4.0 kernel, ACPI fix, CPUS=1 fix, boot in -f mode. About to try installing of restore disk :D

Hi

I have iDeneb booted and installed with selections as yours, booted in -f mode, see the Apple logo and the progress spinner for 15 sec. then come to full stop. Is there anything I am missing? Any advice will be appreciated.

P5N7A-VM, E2180, 2 GB RAM and I use an old IDE hard drive.

Thanks!

Sound problems - just found this file in another thread - claims to give 5.1 sound - anyone want to try it (do not have this board yet - soon!!!)AppleHDA_alc888s_3lineout.kext.zip

OMG :D I'm going to try it right now!!!! Crossing my fingers...

Help :D Ok so maybe my eyes are going and I missed something.... I got the unibody 10.5.5 restore installed - installed bootloader, Dsdt on root, reboot to new drive and get Couldnt get HPET panic - I know it is something simple I'm missing - to much reading :D

Did you installed Diabolik or Signal64 DSDT??

Asus --> Diabolik's DSDT

Gigabyte --> Signal64.

Maybe that's the thing you're doing wrong.

thanks for the reply - I used Diabolik's - All I should have to do is the following right?

Install working OSX from iDeneb on HD 1

Once installed make HD 2 Bootable with Chameleon or PC EFIV9

Install OSX from MBP unibody restore on HD 2

Place Diabolik's DSDT in HD 2's root folder

reboot to HD 2

am I missing something??

King 2178 - The boot is really weird - I tried -f and it worked the first time. I then tried to boot again and it wouldn't. Alternated using cpus=1, -v, etc. Sometimes it would freeze but then it would boot.

Did you installed Diabolik or Signal64 DSDT??

Asus --> Diabolik's DSDT

Gigabyte --> Signal64.

Maybe that's the thing you're doing wrong.

Hi

Got iDeneb booted and installed with selections JMicron, 9.4.0, both ACPI and CPUS=1 fix, booted in safe mode (-x). Can't boot in -f as 2006C6 says though.

Mobo P5N7A-VM, E2180, 2 GB Crucial RAM and I use an old IDE hard drive. Gone through set up etc. comes the iDeneb desktop.

Thanks to iDeneb, everyone in this forum, special thanks to 2006C6 and anitarium both hinted me to the right direction.

Now I have it running on safe mode, could I start from here to figure out LAN, sound, etc.? Any hints/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

thanks for the reply - I used Diabolik's - All I should have to do is the following right?

Install working OSX from iDeneb on HD 1

Once installed make HD 2 Bootable with Chameleon or PC EFIV9

Install OSX from MBP unibody restore on HD 2

Place Diabolik's DSDT in HD 2's root folder

reboot to HD 2

am I missing something??

I would do step three before two, but I don't know if it change final result.

What really matters is that you're forgiving to add: dsmos, disabler and applesmbios.

I recommend you to download Universal OSx86 Installer, and apply to the HD 2 the OSx86 essential package.

For the future, your install method could be once you boot in HD 1:

1) Install OS X to HD2 from unibody disk

2) with Universal OSx86 Installer: apply OSx86 essential package, EFIv9, boot delay of X seconds and you're done.

Hi

Got iDeneb booted and installed with selections JMicron, 9.4.0, both ACPI and CPUS=1 fix, booted in safe mode (-x). Can't boot in -f as 2006C6 says though.

Mobo P5N7A-VM, E2180, 2 GB Crucial RAM and I use an old IDE hard drive. Gone through set up etc. comes the iDeneb desktop.

Thanks to iDeneb, everyone in this forum, special thanks to 2006C6 and anitarium both hinted me to the right direction.

Now I have it running on safe mode, could I start from here to figure out LAN, sound, etc.? Any hints/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, now that you're running OS X at least in safe mode, you need to:

1) Get Macbook Unibody restore DVD (search the net for a 'NoPE' release)

2) Install it to another drive from your working iDeneb install.

3) Install EFIv9, a disabler, a decrypter and AppleSMBios in the new drive (all can be done with Universal OSx86 Installer with easy).

I knew it was probably something I was missing :P trying now - thank you!

What really matters is that you're forgiving to add: dsmos, disabler and applesmbios.

I recommend you to download Universal OSx86 Installer, and apply to the HD 2 the OSx86 essential package.

2) with Universal OSx86 Installer: apply OSx86 essential package, EFIv9, boot delay of X seconds and you're done.

3) Install EFIv9, a disabler, a decrypter and AppleSMBios in the new drive (all can be done with Universal OSx86 Installer with easy).

Thanks Lokoh!

1) download NoPE underway.

2) I haven't decided which way... a 2nd SATA drive or USB drive (then reconnect it to the mobo). Do you see any issues on the latter? Its a bit tricky to work on it w/o a LAN on the first install.

3) can you explain a bit more on the disabler and decrypter? I am a 4 week old newbie to these :-)

2006C6: same here about the booting with -f, anyway I thought I got progress so I'm not too worried.

You're welcome, 2006C6. Real merits are for Diabolik, Signal64 & experts on this site. Happy to see you with the system OK smile.gif

Thanks Lokoh!

1) download NoPE underway.

2) I haven't decided which way... a 2nd SATA drive or USB drive (then reconnect it to the mobo). Do you see any issues on the latter? Its a bit tricky to work on it w/o a LAN on the first install.

3) can you explain a bit more on the disabler and decrypter? I am a 4 week old newbie to these :-)

2) In my first install on the Asus mobo I tried boot from usb drive with OS X installed and it couldn't boot. Stop on "still waiting for root device". I really don't know why... with Gigabyte Mobo it didn't happened to me. So if I was you, I'll install it on internal SATA drive to avoid problems (remember set in bios, SATA to AHCI mode).

3) Well, I'm a newbie too, so I can't explain you what do every kexts because I don't know or know very little. Basically, you need two kexts and a DSDT so it can work; these are: a disabler, a decrypter and DSDT supplied by Diabolik.

The most easy install method: Once you have installed NoPE release, download Universal OSx86 Installer and DSDT from Diabolik (uploaded before in the post). Then with Universal OSx86 installer, select "OSx86 Essential" package, EFIv9 and set a boot delay. Hit apply. This will install the decrypter, disabler and even the bootloader.

Then you only need to copy DSDT.aml to root on the drive, and you're done.

OSx86 Essential package will install aswell, OpenHaltRestart.kext, which was useful to me in Gigabyte board but not in Asus, so I recommend you to delete it once you have install everything (the file is copied in /System/Library/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext). That kexts is for people having problems when restarting the system, which at least to me doesn't happen on my system.

i've uploaded my audio kext

remove any ALCinject and related kext

it should recognize immediately after a restart

also, my bios settings is

Front Panel: HD Audio

and SPDIF output if that makes a difference

Thanks so much, anitanium!. IT'S WORKING !!! Now I have at least stereo sound :)

Now it's time to go for the Optical Out working so we can get 5.1 and use it as a perfect HTPC solution :P

sound works w/o an injector like: hdaenabler/legacyhdaenabler/alcinject

must use a modified alc 889a/885 appleHDA.kext and no injector.

-D-

That's the way to get optical sound working, Diabolik? Or we can only get stereo at this moment?

Any suggestion of what tutorial read to accomplish this? Thanks you so much for your time and help ;)

I need to add support for Quad Core as well - what are you using to edit the DSDT.aml?

thanks a lot Diabolik!

now it's showing 4 cores in sys profile and activity monitor

now if only i could solve a problem like video

*UPDATE*

I found out that the Geforce.kext was causing all the problems.

I modified the info.plist to include my devID for the 7800

also set NVDANV40HAL.kext and NVDAResman.kext with the devID

installed NVDarwin (NVinject)

hardware acceleration is now enabled!!

i wanted to get it working with nvkush, but for now this will work for now

now i'll try it without the 7800GT and see if it still works

SOUND ISSUES - we all know (or should know) that OSx86 is not intended to be plug and play and I think Diabolik is trying to help us to solve our problems by making us work at it - no problems with that.

With this in mind and using the clue he gave us - use a modified 889a/885 AppleHDA.kext - I went here :-http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129058&st=140 - (you can find in Tutorials under AppleHDA).

Anyway from there download Stickpin's modified 889a/885 beta kexts and try them (beta 5 seems to work in the Ga-p35 series). Once again, sorry for not being able test them yet - can't wait to get this board and have a go myself.

Good luck all - thanks to Diabolik, Stickpin, Signal64 (and any others who have contributed).

note - Diabolik, if I have gone off in the wrong direction, please redirect me , many thanks.

-----------

In a previous post (now in the Gigabyte 9400 thread) Stellarola said that he could install retail version. maybe once we have ironed out the sound problem it will be possible to go down this road using Boot 132.........

After more googling I found my way to Xlabs on this forum and into "AppleHDA" (thanks to Taruga and others) and then to this link :-http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52254 - look especially at post #11 - maybe this is our missing link.

Meanwhile I'll continue searching this forum for further info - please post your results so we can all benefit.

More news re the sound :- in the Gigabyte 9400 thread is this link .......http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140941

Check out the Ga 9400 thread together with the above link and full sound should be available including digital out. It's the ALC889a kext again referred to in my earlier posts.

Please post your results.

Can you also consider posting your BIOS settings so we can have a definitive reference for setting up this particular motherboard. :D

No luck with anything that I've tried by now. HD Audio on this board is leaving me really exhausted because no matter what I try, always get "no output device" :(

My tested kexts:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129058

Realtek ALC885/889A: BETA V4

Realtek ALC885/889A: BETA V5

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130954

ALC1200.zip

P45audio.zip

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140941

ALC889A_1056_fix.zip ---> That worked for me in Gigabyte Mobo, but NOT is working in Asus for me.

AppleHDA_10.5.6.zip

1.6.2a37_4outs3ins_analog_HDA_headphone.zip

1.6.2a37_3outs3ins_digital_HDA_headphone.zip

1.5.7a24_3outs3ins_digital_HDA_headphone.zip

Lagacy_3outs3ins_digital_HDA_headphone.zip

From other topic that I don't remember:

AppleHDA_alc888s_3lineout.kext.zip

And also tried modify p45audio.zip with my alc1200 vendor and device id (0x088810EC) in info.plist as showed in another thread that martin15s give some posts ago.

----

Please :) , Diabolik or someone that have a working HD audio solution for Asus P5N7A, if you could upload your working audio solution so we can check if it also work on our systems, it would be really REALLY helpful, because right now I don't know if I'm installing something the wrong way or if the problems come from another side. Getting alc1200 on Asus to work it's getting a nightmare, mainly if you consider it was one minut in Gigabyte's Mobo.

----

My system is still crashing with 4GB and memtest (and after using OS X awhile), a thing that don't happen with only 2 GB. I watched console but I don't get anything clear. Well, better not mix things. After I get sound working will go for it.

----

EDIT 1:

anitanium, can you check out what's your vendor and device id for alc1200 in the Asus?? Mine is: Vendor: 10EC, Device: 0888. I suppose it should be the same, isn't it?

EDIT 2:

No way. I've been doing more tests with the same result (no output device in system preferences), so I updated the reply and add the new tests up.

according to osx86 tools, my DevID is 0ac0 VenID 10de

but i don't think that's correct

i'll have to run my windows install to double check my ID values properly

That's the value that give to me BUT it says "nVidia Corporation Unknown device" so I assume that it the value for HDMI Audio, don't you think?

I had to look at Windows for get Realtek Vendor and Device ID.

Well, I'm going to check in Windows if the value 0x0ac010de correspond to nVidia HDMI output.

-----

EDIT:

Windows shows two sound device:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio ==> Vendor: 10DE DeviceID: 0007 Subsys: 10438356

Realtek High Definition Audio ==> Vendor: 10DE DeviceID: 0888 Subsys: 104382FE

OSx86Tools shows only one sound device:

Audio device [0403]: nVidia corporation Unknown device [10de:0ac0] (rev b1)

Leopard About that mac - more Info - sound (integrated), shows one sound device:

Intel High Definition, Device ID --> 0x104382FE

When I did the p45audio.zip plist modification with "0x088810DE" thought it was the good value to use with my Mobo. Now, after see that, I'm "a little" LOST ;)

When you can, check your values anitanium in Windows and OS X (about that mac), so we can compare and be sure we have the same (which I assume after your Azalia kexts worked in my system).

I can help you out with audio a bit. ;) I'm not really satisfied with this solution, but at least the optical output is working. Interesting that nobody got this yet...

They key is in the ALC1200-working topic. You can use AppleHDA patcher v1.20 with your codec dump. Note that the realtek device id for the alc1200 is 0x10ec0888. Unfortunately this is not enough to get it working. This is because the realtek is connected to the Nvidia HDA controller device with id 0x10de0ac0. So we must add this (reversed as 0x0ac010de) to the AppleHDAController Info.plist under IOPCIPrimaryMatch. Voila. Of course you also need HDAenabler or ALCinject or something like that. The Nvidia HDA controller should also match on the audio pci class (<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key><string>0x04020000&0xFFFE0000</string>), but I haven't tried this.

Unfortunately this has only one analog output and the rest besides optical is untested. Also the AppleHDA binary of the patcher is quite old and I didn't have the time yet to get the 10.5.6 binary working with something like legacy plists. Anybody else tried this?

Anyway, a working AppleHDA.kext is attached.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I can help you out with audio a bit. :) I'm not really satisfied with this solution, but at least the optical output is working. Interesting that nobody got this yet...

They key is in the ALC1200-working topic. You can use AppleHDA patcher v1.20 with your codec dump. Note that the realtek device id for the alc1200 is 0x10ec0888. Unfortunately this is not enough to get it working. This is because the realtek is connected to the Nvidia HDA controller device with id 0x10de0ac0. So we must add this (reversed as 0x0ac010de) to the AppleHDAController Info.plist under IOPCIPrimaryMatch. Voila. Of course you also need HDAenabler or ALCinject or something like that. The Nvidia HDA controller should also match on the audio pci class (<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key><string>0x04020000&0xFFFE0000</string>), but I haven't tried this.

Unfortunately this has only one analog output and the rest besides optical is untested. Also the AppleHDA binary of the patcher is quite old and I didn't have the time yet to get the 10.5.6 binary working with something like legacy plists. Anybody else tried this?

Anyway, a working AppleHDA.kext is attached.

You almost make me cry, man. Your kext + HDAEnabler seems to get line out + headphones + optical out working!! THANKS!! :P

I'm really tired now and I'm going to bed right now, but tomorrow I will test it more concientiously and I'll post results. Also, I'll try to understand in detail what you says and maybe between all can optimise the Kext :)

DiaboliK, you told that it was possible to get audio working without an injector like ALCinjector or HDAenabler, only modding AppleHDA. I believe no one actually in that thread know how to do it :lol: . It would be interesting know how you accomplish it or that you share your working solution with us so we can learn for a possible future fix need.