• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Aliased Teen

Aliased Teen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

can any one explain step by step how to install an EVGA GTX 295 Coop in snow leopard?

im quite new to all this and i cant quite get my head around meroys instructions!
im not sure where id get hold of the NVDANV50Hal.kext ....

im running a retail snow install on a GA-EX58-UD5 using Digital dreamers script,
it currently shows up in system profiler as having only 32MB of VRAM, and i know that isnt right!

snow leopard with a GTX295 would be wicked :)

It is indeed wicked. :)

I too used d_d's script, albeit with a Gigabyte GTX 295 (rev 2.0) and a GA-EX58-UD4P. The first time around, I made the (apparently quite silly) mistake of force-installing the EVGA drivers for OS X 10.5 and trying (but failing) to install netkas' graphics enabler.

It turns out that netkas' enabler is already built into his PC-EFI tool. What I did was choose Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader from d_d's script (this requires a DSDT file in your /Extra directory) and replaced the /boot file with PC EFI v 10.3. I then turned on the option in the /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist for GraphicsEnabler = yes. This caused boot-up to hang as it recognised a video card, but could not find drivers for it.

To solve this, I edited the Info.plist in NVDANV50.kext (in /System/Library/Extensions) and added my device id 0x05eb10d0. The system now booted successfully, but showed "Display" and "Unknown" as the graphics adaptors. I finally turned off the graphics enabler and instead opted for the EFI string as meroy explained, which gave me great joy as it provided the correct information in System Profiler.

Just a short while ago I updated to 10.6.1 and my computer would hang at boot up. I confirmed my suspicion (using my Macbook) that the update had modified the NVDANV50.kext file. I then switched to the alternative of using Rph4's NVGTX295.Fix.kext in my /Extra folder. This allows for a nice vanilla Snow Leopard with complete GTX 295 support. :)

(Sorry if this was long-winded, but you might find this account of what I tried and how it went wrong useful!)

ANARCHiNTOSH

ANARCHiNTOSH

Loldermort!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

It is indeed wicked. :D

I too used d_d's script, albeit with a Gigabyte GTX 295 (rev 2.0) and a GA-EX58-UD4P. The first time around, I made the (apparently quite silly) mistake of force-installing the EVGA drivers for OS X 10.5 and trying (but failing) to install netkas' graphics enabler.

It turns out that netkas' enabler is already built into his PC-EFI tool. What I did was choose Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader from d_d's script (this requires a DSDT file in your /Extra directory) and replaced the /boot file with PC EFI v 10.3. I then turned on the option in the /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist for GraphicsEnabler = yes. This caused boot-up to hang as it recognised a video card, but could not find drivers for it.

To solve this, I edited the Info.plist in NVDANV50.kext (in /System/Library/Extensions) and added my device id 0x05eb10d0. The system now booted successfully, but showed "Display" and "Unknown" as the graphics adaptors. I finally turned off the graphics enabler and instead opted for the EFI string as meroy explained, which gave me great joy as it provided the correct information in System Profiler.

Just a short while ago I updated to 10.6.1 and my computer would hang at boot up. I confirmed my suspicion (using my Macbook) that the update had modified the NVDANV50.kext file. I then switched to the alternative of using Rph4's NVGTX295.Fix.kext in my /Extra folder. This allows for a nice vanilla Snow Leopard with complete GTX 295 support. :rolleyes:

(Sorry if this was long-winded, but you might find this account of what I tried and how it went wrong useful!)

Thanks pal, any help is appreciated!
So at the moment my progress is stalled as i wait for
replacement DDR3 to arrive (my ocz goldies were buggin out),
but i think i understand how to get it working now.

From my understanding i would need to:
1.convert meroy's gfx.plist to hex using gfxutil
not quite sure what "Run gfxutil -f display and change the PciRoot key" means

2.insert the newly created efi string into the boot plist

3.insert 0x05eb10de&0xfff8ffff into NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

4.run as root --does this mean opening terminal with administrator privileges?:
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

When my memory arrives ill give it a try.

hackdan

hackdan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

for GTX295 Dual-PCB new version only rev.62.00.6C.00.01/02 and ID:05eb
see my post here:
http://www.darwinx86...280#comment-284

:(

Hi Rph4 I have 2 dual PCB in QUAD SLI PNY GTX 295 cards in 10.6.1 Retail installation over ASUS WS P6T7 SuperComputer motherboard, I follow your steps but :( no luck, the mode VESA was better but I can't enable OpenCL / QE / CI, .I m desperate so please please please let me a anti-idiot guide step by step , I m very frustated with me computer. i was saving for a long time by buy it.... :)

JaysFreaky

JaysFreaky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hi Rph4 I have 2 dual PCB in QUAD SLI PNY GTX 295 cards in 10.6.1 Retail installation over ASUS WS P6T7 SuperComputer motherboard, I follow your steps but :P no luck, the mode VESA was better but I can't enable OpenCL / QE / CI, .I m desperate so please please please let me a anti-idiot guide step by step , I m very frustated with me computer. i was saving for a long time by buy it.... :(

+1

I appreciate all that you guys are doing, but this isn't very noob-friendly at all.

First I see appending the NV50 file with those strings, then another saying don't worry about it because a kext fixes it.
Could someone graciously write a step-by-step? Hell, I'll paypal somebody a few bucks if they wanted. haha

hackdan

hackdan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

+1

I appreciate all that you guys are doing, but this isn't very noob-friendly at all.

First I see appending the NV50 file with those strings, then another saying don't worry about it because a kext fixes it.
Could someone graciously write a step-by-step? Hell, I'll paypal somebody a few bucks if they wanted. haha

http://aquamac.probo...a...&thread=959
Hey check this is very long but i have a advance .... I think.... wherever maybe in short time we have the anti-idiot guide of ours dreams!

meroy

meroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
hackdan, go here for more noob friendly post. I'm not able to monitor these posts. I hope this will help you.

You have a dual-pcb gtx 295. My plist will not work with your card as I have the single pcb edition. My plist doesn't have the @2 entires that may be needed by your card(s).

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=184318

flint_MAC_ru

flint_MAC_ru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:MAC, Tactical Paintball
2 merroy:

good seeing you keeping up with GTX295 help - thanks a lot. ;)  

I've translated your guides to Russian mac-forrums for those how have 295, however 10.6.2 changed the situation - strings are no longer working in boot.plist and only way to boot back after the update is to remove strings, so the result is - basic mode with efianabler.

I want to belive that you fix it somehow (at least for single pcb you have), so could you make a guide for 10.6.2 users?

meroy

meroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

2 merroy:

good seeing you keeping up with GTX295 help - thanks a lot. :D  

I've translated your guides to Russian mac-forrums for those how have 295, however 10.6.2 changed the situation - strings are no longer working in boot.plist and only way to boot back after the update is to remove strings, so the result is - basic mode with efianabler.

I want to belive that you fix it somehow (at least for single pcb you have), so could you make a guide for 10.6.2 users?

The strings continues to work for me under 10.6.2. Go here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=184318.

My current plist is posted there. Did you remember to add the pci id to NVDANV50HAL? Not sure which card you have single or dual PCB design.

There is no need to add the PCI ID if you install NVGTX295.zip from this post:

This zip file contains a kext: NVGTX295.Fix.zip. Add this to your /Extra/Extensions/.

flint_MAC_ru

flint_MAC_ru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

The strings continues to work for me under 10.6.2. Go here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=184318.

My current plist is posted there. Did you remember to add the pci id to NVDANV50HAL? Not sure which card you have single or dual PCB design.

There is no need to add the PCI ID if you install NVGTX295.zip from this post:

This zip file contains a kext: NVGTX295.Fix.zip. Add this to your /Extra/Extensions/.

thanks a lot meroy - it woks!!! i completely forget :) about device id (i have single pcb). I'll let guys from http://www.applelife.ru know as well.
I tried both ways - add id to NVDANV50Hal.kext & NVDANV50Hal.kext and by adding NVGTX295.Fix.zip to Extra. Both OK!!!

ANARCHiNTOSH

ANARCHiNTOSH

Loldermort!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
hey everyone, ive written a complete noob friendly guide explaining meroys method and created a pack containing everything you need to get it working
i also translated Raph4s kext instructions, which is attached to my guide.
mmm noob friendly guide

meroy, whats the lowdown on dual monitor mode? its not working on my installation but ive heard other people have had success. i just get two black screens when i plug in my second monitor. hmm.

meroy

meroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

meroy, whats the lowdown on dual monitor mode? its not working on my installation but ive heard other people have had success. i just get two black screens when i plug in my second monitor. hmm.

Try the following for the NVCAP value: Look for NVCAP in your plist file and replace the value with this one for both PciRoot entries in your plist file. This will enable both displays for your setup.

BQAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAACwAAAAA=

I don't think it's possible to come up with one plist template to accommodate both the dual and single PCB designs.

Congrats on making your GTX 295 card work under SL. The value above will complete your setup and allow you to use 2 displays. Remember to breath when you see both displays enabled under SL.

meroy

meroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

(i have single pcb)

Not sure which value you've entered for NVCAP, but for the single PCB edition, you may want to use the following value in order to enable both display ports under SL successfully:

Congrats on making your GTX 295 single PCB edition work under SL. Attaching 2 displays should work as well.

ANARCHiNTOSH

ANARCHiNTOSH

Loldermort!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Try the following for the NVCAP value: Look for NVCAP in your plist file and replace the value with this one for both PciRoot entries in your plist file. This will enable both displays for your setup.

I don't think it's possible to come up with one plist template to accommodate both the dual and single PCB designs.

Congrats on making your GTX 295 card work under SL. The value above will complete your setup and allow you to use 2 displays. Remember to breath when you see both displays enabled under SL.

Thanks again meroy, both my vga and dvi displays are now working in dual monitor mode, and wow that is a whole lot of pixels. I updated my guide to include this. i feel that my i7 based machine is now better than a new mac pro!

flint_MAC_ru

flint_MAC_ru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
2 meroy

hi again there. I saw you tested somehow CUDA technology (posts 239 and 245) on your 295 single PCB. I have same card , but CUDA driver says fail to install ... Did you trick or modify cuda driver also?

Attached Files

meroy

meroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

2 meroy

hi again there. I saw you tested somehow CUDA technology (posts 239 and 245) on your 295 single PCB. I have same card , but CUDA driver says fail to install ... Did you trick or modify cuda driver also?

The CUDA kext only works under 32-bit mode as of this time.

KWODO

KWODO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
My Installer for GTX 295 Support in SL 10.6.5 and above.
(tested with 10.6.7)

Fully working with CUDA and OpenCL in 64-bit.
It downgrades Driver and OpenGL Framework.

http://www.kexts.com..._and_above.html

Cheers

yoannez

yoannez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hi

I whould appreciate some help with one thing, about my EVGA co-op GTX 295 single pcb.

Everything apears to be working great with dual monitors and full acceleration, but one thing is not ok.
Everytime the graphics got in to Monitor sleep mode I cannot get to a usable desk anymore, every thing is frozen (windows docs, text) but the mouse moves arround and I can login via ssh.

Any one with the same problem?
I've already tried alot of recepies from the forum but none appear to work.

Any help whould be appreciated.

KWODO

KWODO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hi

I whould appreciate some help with one thing, about my EVGA co-op GTX 295 single pcb.

Everything apears to be working great with dual monitors and full acceleration, but one thing is not ok.
Everytime the graphics got in to Monitor sleep mode I cannot get to a usable desk anymore, every thing is frozen (windows docs, text) but the mouse moves arround and I can login via ssh.

Any one with the same problem?
I've already tried alot of recepies from the forum but none appear to work.

Any help whould be appreciated.

i will take a look at this.
have no monitor sleep activated. i'm using computer sleep mode which is working just fine.

EDIT:

I can confirm this freeze behaviour with monitor sleep!
(10.6.7=10.6.6 + downgrade drivers/opengl from 10.6.4 + Monitor at DVI-Port).
10.6.7 had no driver update.

Is it caused by the downgraded drivers from 10.6.4? or is this a "all-time-SL-295-bug" ?
I will try it in a fresh installation... will test on 10.6.0 upwards to determine where it gets f**ked-up.

Cheers.

KWODO

KWODO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Yoannez,
DSDT with sleep fix....for your P6T from tonymacosx86
http://www.flynflip....g/ASUS_P6T.html

yoannez

yoannez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Yoannez,
DSDT with sleep fix....for your P6T from tonymacosx86
http://www.flynflip....g/ASUS_P6T.html

Hi thanks for you hint but it did not work.
I think the problem is not related to the P6T motherboard and uniquely related to the GTX295.
This is because it only happens when the monitors go in to sleep mode, only the monitors and not the system.
When I get back to the system the mouse moves the system is working but all the graphical windows are frozen...

Any help whould be very appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy