The Holy ALC663 Problem Solving Thread

Turanli

72 posts in this topic

This thread is no longer being maintained and hasn't been for a while (Apple hardware).

The purpose of this thread is to gather all knowledge about the Realtek ALC663 which hopefully will result in a fully functioning "driver" for this soundcard.

This thread will also contain codecdumps, codecgraphs, kexts, plist and pinconfigs.

I will update this thread everytime we get some new knowledge about the soundcard furthermore I will line up some questions that I have about this card which maybe some of u guys can answer, this will hopefully help us all.

All RS links are Direct Download � No waiting no rs premium needed ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ALC663 Repository:

Codecdump - Mandriva:

HEX - http://rapidshare.com/files/179359362/dump.txt

DECIMAL - http://rapidshare.com/files/179359389/ConvertedDumpfile.txt

Codecgraph:

[Open with Firefox] - http://rapidshare.com/files/179359798/G50V.txt.svg

Pin config[Asus G50V - Vista]:

01171cf0  01171d11 01171e11 01171f41 01271cf0 01271d11 01271e11 01271f41 01371cf0  01371d11 01371e11 01371f41 01471c10 01471d01 01471e13 01471f99 01571cf0  01571d11 01571e11 01571f41 01671cf0 01671d11 01671e11 01671f41 01771cf0  01771d11 01771e11 01771f41 01871c40 01871d98 01871ea1 01871f01 01971c41  01971d09 01971ea3 01971f99 01a71c4f 01a71d30 01a71e81 01a71f01 01b71cf0  01b71d11 01b71e11 01b71f41 01d71cf0 01d71d01 01d71e83 01d71f59 01e71c20  01e71d01 01e71e43 01e71f99 02171c1f 02171d44 02171e21 02171f01

Modded Azaliaaudio � The only working solution atm:

http://rapidshare.com/files/179364180/Azal...xts_for_663.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

Azalia Capable?

Yes � also stated on asus.com and Toasted Logic managed to get sound output on his internal speakers on his Asus M70VM-X1 with my modded AzaliaAudio but this is fare by satisfying because it is required to boot windows and then OSX before it is enabled.

The ALC663 has hardware conflicts?

The ALC663 does not have hardware conflicts with the Wifi/BT Switch.

Azalia itself works but the mixer is only enabled if u boot windows � reboot � boot OSX [stated by andybe], Can someone confirm this?

�?

- Can u trick the Bios to think that you are booting windows so it enables the mixer. Is this what you use the DSDT.aml for?

�?

Is the Pin config on different Laptops using ALC663 similar?

Almost but they are different ;) - Here I have compared My Laptop with ToastedLogics - The differences are marked red:

o2qxbf7x7h67km61zxhs.png

Which working soundcard in osx is similar to the alc663 when we look at the inputs/output jacks and ports? �?

What is a legacy driver and will this work with the ALC663?

�?

How can you see which kexts are loaded when OSX is running [Like process manager on windows]

�?

Dev Team de la ALC663 � With this thread I would like to start a little group where we on msn or something else can talk about the ALC663 and how to solve our problem:

[iMPORTANT]

Everyone who wants to participate on this project should have a description of their system like i have on my signature, so we know which OS version, which Laptop model and which soundcard version you have.

MSN:

Turanli � cemturanli@hotmail.com

dandaman1976 � joe_koolz@hotmail.com

Peace out guys, let's together make this soundcard working!

The purpose of this thread is to gather all knowledge about the Realtek ALC663 which hopefully will result in a fully functioning "driver" for this soundcard.

This thread will also contain codecdumps, codecgraphs, kexts, plist and pinconfigs.

I will update this thread everytime we get some new knowledge about the soundcard furthermore I will line up some questions that I have about this card which maybe some of u guys can answer, this will hopefully help us all.

All RS links are Direct Download – No waiting no rs premium needed :o

The ALC663 Repository:

Codecdump - Mandriva:

HEX - http://rapidshare.com/files/179359362/dump.txt

DECIMAL - http://rapidshare.com/files/179359389/ConvertedDumpfile.txt

Codecgraph:

[Open with Firefox] - http://rapidshare.com/files/179359798/G50V.txt.svg

Pin config[Asus G50V - Vista]:

01171cf0  01171d11 01171e11 01171f41 01271cf0 01271d11 01271e11 01271f41 01371cf0  01371d11 01371e11 01371f41 01471c10 01471d01 01471e13 01471f99 01571cf0  01571d11 01571e11 01571f41 01671cf0 01671d11 01671e11 01671f41 01771cf0  01771d11 01771e11 01771f41 01871c40 01871d98 01871ea1 01871f01 01971c41  01971d09 01971ea3 01971f99 01a71c4f 01a71d30 01a71e81 01a71f01 01b71cf0  01b71d11 01b71e11 01b71f41 01d71cf0 01d71d01 01d71e83 01d71f59 01e71c20  01e71d01 01e71e43 01e71f99 02171c1f 02171d44 02171e21  02171f01

Modded Azaliaaudio – The only working solution atm:

http://rapidshare.com/files/179364180/Azal...xts_for_663.zip

Questions:

Azalia Capable?

Yes – also stated on asus.com and Toasted Logic managed to get sound output on his internal speakers on his Asus M70VM-X1 with my modded AzaliaAudio but this is fare by satisfying because the soundcard conflicts with some other hardware components in OSX which disables the sound.

The ALC663 has hardware conflicts?

AzaliaAudio solutions has hardware conflicts with the Wifi/BT Switch. When Bluetooth is shown as broken on the bar sound doesn't work neither.

Azalia itself works but the mixer is only enabled if u boot windows – reboot – boot OSX [stated by andybe], Can someone confirm this?

…?

- Can u trick the Bios to think that you are booting windows so it enables the mixer. Is this what you use the DSDT.aml for?

…?

Is the Pin config on different Laptops using ALC663 similar?

Almost but they are different :) - Here I have compared My Laptop with ToastedLogics - The differences are marked red:

o2qxbf7x7h67km61zxhs.png

Which working soundcard in osx is similar to the alc663 when we look at the inputs/output jacks and ports? …?

What is a legacy driver and will this work with the ALC663?

…?

How can you see which kexts are loaded when OSX is running [Like process manager on windows]

…?

Dev Team de la ALC663 – With this thread I would like to start a little group where we on msn or something else can talk about the ALC663 and how to solve our problem:

MSN:

Turanli – cemturanli@hotmail.com

Peace out guys, let's together make this soundcard working!

Ok i am willing to help anyway i can, being i have the asus m70vm-x1 as well. joe_koolz@hotmail.com

Ok, I was testing this driver here. This change not what I said at first. (Boot Windows then OSX Warmstart Soundcard enabled).

My clean Azallia only got this:

AppleAzalliaAudio

Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0663</string>

This is the Codec

PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x293e8086</string>

This is the audio bridge ich9

ALCinject.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,293e</string>

</array>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x00008086&amp</string>

only the bridge.

The warmstart has todo with the bios. needs init.

This has nothing todo with an bluetooth device. - I got no bluetooth here.

I got an ASUS Pro72V

Sata - Works USB - Works Sound (Warmstart - Azallia) only output NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT (1GB - Display 1440x900 QE/CI) - works

PS2 Works, needs my german layout patch - not tested this time. (Boot for test over usb only!)

The warmstart has todo with the bios. needs init.

This has nothing todo with an bluetooth device. - I got no bluetooth here.

Ok, good find. I can attest that this is true. The Azalia driver has nothing to do with our finnicky bt/wifi switches. The system (for whatever reason) cannot init our sound card, so as a quick workaround simply boot to the vista login screen and hit restart. When OSX starts your sound will work.

Ok, good find. I can attest that this is true. The Azalia driver has nothing to do with our finnicky bt/wifi switches. The system (for whatever reason) cannot init our sound card, so as a quick workaround simply boot to the vista login screen and hit restart. When OSX starts your sound will work.

yes, confirmed as well, and my install is 2 hard drives in my asus, 1 for stupid vista and the 2nd drive is mac xxx_10.5.6 with shut down issues...

at least it works this far...

How come i cant get any kind of sound out of my god damn computer with the Azaliaaudio i modded my self -.-, really pisses me off!

I know, very odd indeed, just to be clear on the software, from my test it works for me using iatkos 10.5.5 and xxx 10.5.6 again, the only way that i got it was to DELETE the appleHDA.kext, install your mod with kext helper, reboot the machine - then restart it again and boot into vista log in screen, restart vista to boot BACK again to mac, and then sound...

I know, very odd indeed, just to be clear on the software, from my test it works for me using iatkos 10.5.5 and xxx 10.5.6 again, the only way that i got it was to DELETE the appleHDA.kext, install your mod with kext helper, reboot the machine - then restart it again and boot into vista log in screen, restart vista to boot BACK again to mac, and then sound...

do u install the ac97 thingy too?

the hot start - method for win vista to mac to make sound work DOES NOT work with installing windows 7 - DAMN... what the hell?

EDIT: Nevermind - had to remove the applehda kext.

did some update and it put it there...

btw: windows 7 beta better then windows vista.///

the hot start - method for win vista to mac to make sound work DOES NOT work with installing windows 7 - DAMN... what the hell?

EDIT: Nevermind - had to remove the applehda kext.

did some update and it put it there...

btw: windows 7 beta better then windows vista.///

Its pretty weird :s... I am running Win 7 and Mac OS X, and when i reboot windows there is no sound when it boots with the Asus Logo thing(You don't hear any boot sounds as you did before).

Omg i really need the sound working... cant even get it working with the azalia script i modded myself... the thing u guys use to get sound :S...

Its pretty weird :s... I am running Win 7 and Mac OS X, and when i reboot windows there is no sound when it boots with the Asus Logo thing(You don't hear any boot sounds as you did before).

Omg i really need the sound working... cant even get it working with the azalia script i modded myself... the thing u guys use to get sound :S...

Ok tur, I am in the same boat, now, i was tired of my shutdown issues, so i reinstalled my osx, with windows 7 installed as well, NO MATTER WHAT I DO _ NO SOUND, nothing, all atempts that use to work for me, have no effect, no warm start, no reboot, no removing the applehda kext, zippo ziltch - all we have now is the pretty icon, nothing else... AHHHHHHHH!

Ok tur, I am in the same boat, now, i was tired of my shutdown issues, so i reinstalled my osx, with windows 7 installed as well, NO MATTER WHAT I DO _ NO SOUND, nothing, all atempts that use to work for me, have no effect, no warm start, no reboot, no removing the applehda kext, zippo ziltch - all we have now is the pretty icon, nothing else... AHHHHHHHH!

Is there any way you can trick the bios to think that you are booting windows or how is the sound mixer activated? Sound works in linux so it isn't impossible...

Can someone explain me what the DSDT does?

EDIT: Just strange, i was able to get it working again, with windows 7 installed. I installed perian 1.1.3 , rebooted, reinstalled the orginal modded kexts for azzilla, made sure i deleted the extenstion.mkext and also made sure applehda was also not installed, then did the warm start boot into windows 7 login screen, saw it - then rebooted into mac and presto.

this is also on a different build, ipc 10.5.6 vanilla - with ppf 1 and 2 applied to the iso.

so this alc663 kext works, for iatkos, 10.5.5 > 6 and ideneb 10.5.5 & 6, XxX 10.5.6 and finally ipc 10.5.6.

So far interms of stable os ipc is champ - iatkos is fast, but had shutdown issues with it, again this applies to asus m70vm-x1.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...i%26rls%3Den-us

thats a russian site who talks about the 663, someone down the page posts the attached kexts, and i am not sure they are the holy grail of what we need...

I registered with that site just to download them, they are attached... any one wanna try?

hda_kexts.zip

Just got external mic working on the ALC663/ICH9 (Asus laptop with M50Vn motherboard) by fiddling with AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.4 (running 10.5.6).

I've had the small speaker in the menu for some time as well as "Internal Speakers", "Headphones" and "Digital Out" under Output as well as "Internal microphone" and "External microphone" under Input in System settings/Sound but I can't get any sound (and the output volume slider is disabled). Did anyone get that far with the AppleHDA.kext for ALC663 ?? Any pointers?

Just got external mic working on the ALC663/ICH9 (Asus laptop with M50Vn motherboard) by fiddling with AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.4 (running 10.5.6).

I've had the small speaker in the menu for some time as well as "Internal Speakers", "Headphones" and "Digital Out" under Output as well as "Internal microphone" and "External microphone" under Input in System settings/Sound but I can't get any sound (and the output volume slider is disabled). Did anyone get that far with the AppleHDA.kext for ALC663 ?? Any pointers?

hello tom, welcome to our world, so far as i can tell we only have azilla working with above described warm start, could you upload your kext so that we can dev at it?

I have a small update on the Azalia driver. I'm now successfully able to get both speakers and headphones working (although you need to manually toggle them) from a cold-boot of OSX. No more wasting time with booting into vista first. Because this program writes directly to the codec, it is able to initialize the internal speakers without need for the 'warm boot' method. It's still a workaround, but damnit it's the best we've got... for now. To get started, download the Audieee.app from the following page:

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-101853...s-ugly-stop-gap

You will also need to have the CHUD 4.6.1 dev tools from Apple's developer tools website. I don't think I can post that installer here, but if you do a quick google search or two you will find everything you need to acquire it. You'll need to make sure you don't have AppleHDA.kext installed in your /S/L/E folder, and that you have a working AppleAzalia.kext installed. See the linked post for full instructions. Remember, don't try using the installer for azalia on that linked page - since it's intended target chipset is ALC262 (or some other such chip) it will not have the correct dev. id in the .plist. If you need an Azalia driver for your ALC663, try the one on the bottom of this post.

PS - Tom, welcome to our small sub-community! I'm impressed that you were able to get the mic working. The best I've been able to do with AppleHDA was to get devices showing up in sound prefs but never had any output/input working. I've since lost that kext :P Can you post your AppleHDA.kext file for us to tinker with?

PPS - I am in no way connected with the development of this project, nor am I taking credit for it. Just sharing someone else's great work with the rest of you all! Hope this helps.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

I have a small update on the Azalia driver. I'm now successfully able to get both speakers and headphones working (although you need to manually toggle them) from a cold-boot of OSX. No more wasting time with booting into vista first. Because this program writes directly to the codec, it is able to initialize the internal speakers without need for the 'warm boot' method. It's still a workaround, but damnit it's the best we've got... for now. To get started, download the Audieee.app from the following page:

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-101853...s-ugly-stop-gap

You will also need to have the CHUD 4.6.1 dev tools from Apple's developer tools website. I don't think I can post that installer here, but if you do a quick google search or two you will find everything you need to acquire it. You'll need to make sure you don't have AppleHDA.kext installed in your /S/L/E folder, and that you have a working AppleAzalia.kext installed. See the linked post for full instructions. Remember, don't try using the installer for azalia on that linked page - since it's intended target chipset is ALC262 (or some other such chip) it will not have the correct dev. id in the .plist. If you need an Azalia driver for your ALC663, try the one on the bottom of this post.

PS - Tom, welcome to our small sub-community! I'm impressed that you were able to get the mic working. The best I've been able to do with AppleHDA was to get devices showing up in sound prefs but never had any output/input working. I've since lost that kext ^_^ Can you post your AppleHDA.kext file for us to tinker with?

PPS - I am in no way connected with the development of this project, nor am I taking credit for it. Just sharing someone else's great work with the rest of you all! Hope this helps.

publi link for chud http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Appl...nload-1502.html

also in 1pc 10.5.6 the app crashes with endless beachball spinning, wonder whats wrong...

publi link for chud http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Appl...nload-1502.html

also in 1pc 10.5.6 the app crashes with endless beachball spinning, wonder whats wrong...

Same problem in iPC -.-

Is Audioeee needed?

Have i understood this correct... The only difference between this solution and our old "azalia" is the app Audioeee, which in some magically way enables the mixer(no need to boot windows and then os x) or what?