• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

I've been working on that too, but the eventual result was WAY to big...
It may take a while, but I'll get there...

I will defiantly wait for that release!!! EFI partition is the best install (IMHO). Thanks for the info Andy!

Monkey_@@

Monkey_@@

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hi Andy,

I suppose that you're more focused in developing the "EFI partition" for your bootloader. But I'd like to know if you plan to add support to the /Extra/Extensions folder in the SAME partition of Mac OS X, that is what I'm using right now...

Anyway, if I install you bootloader that means I'll have to move all the extra kexts to the vanilla kexts folder, is that it?

Thanks for your great developing efford!

M.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

Hi Andy,

I suppose that you're more focused in developing the "EFI partition" for your bootloader. But I'd like to know if you plan to add support to the /Extra/Extensions folder in the SAME partition of Mac OS X, that is what I'm using right now...

Anyway, if I install you bootloader that means I'll have to move all the extra kexts to the vanilla kexts folder, is that it?

Thanks for your great developing efford!

M.

Yes, that is right.

/Extra folder: It wouldn't be that much extra work to add this on to the boot loader.
I've looked into this.
The only point is that the total size may not exceed 62K (boot file).
Otherwise it won't load properly.
That's the only reason I haven't finished it off yet (EFI partition version).
I think of saving on size by reducing the number of text (or removing) used by some printfs.
That way I should be able to squeeze it in since the printed text gets offcourse put static in...

Guest: BuildSmart_*

Guest: BuildSmart_*
  • Guests

That "anyone" in 99.9% cases is a tester and the source is not required in all cases unless he can contribute, as you probably know nobody can work w/o testers... Now if that "anyone" breaks the trust and came up on forums and start flaming or worst "share" the source with psystar or other "smart" companies is not the developer/s fault...

Tired to see so many people bitching and complaining, using multiple nicknames to add more flame and start more conflicts in this forum...
Also tired to see you BuildSmart "fighting for justice" (LOL) popping up in every topic that have something to do with Voodoo Team work, I know is hard for you to be out of this but seriously get a life...

I think you need to up your medication.

I don't have multiple nicknames and I haven't shared any source with anyone I was not permitted to share the code of so I know you're not referencing me.

Voodoo Team work, what the hell are you talking about???

I see a lot of broken promises and little detail provided, I have had binaries provided to me by zef which I needed the source for but that never happened and since it's been more than a year since the chameleon team has released anything I found a different solution to get the source I needed.

Now there is rumor that all kinds of pretty things are going on but no mention of a concrete release date and the previous dates have come and gone by several months, seems everyone is concluding that the new chameleon has serious compatibility issues and the inability to resolve these issues is preventing it's release, I reserve my opinion at this time cause I haven't seen these binaries that everyone is playing with so it would be unfair for me to offer one.

The smart thing for you to do would be not to involve yourself in matters that don't concern you.

I've been working on that too, but the eventual result was WAY to big...
It may take a while, but I'll get there...

If you take a look at my source you will find the code required for working from the EFI partition (it's in the Ultimate BadAxe 2 thread).

jjduro

jjduro

Almocinho grátis é que era

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Yes, that is right.

/Extra folder: It wouldn't be that much extra work to add this on to the boot loader.
I've looked into this.
The only point is that the total size may not exceed 62K (boot file).
Otherwise it won't load properly.
That's the only reason I haven't finished it off yet (EFI partition version).
I think of saving on size by reducing the number of text (or removing) used by some printfs.
That way I should be able to squeeze it in since the printed text gets offcourse put static in...

Maybe, taking out the Boot Apple logo?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
    Hacking...

Maybe, taking out the Boot Apple logo?

Yes, it is a possibility but why full recode now when the new Chameleon is coming up soon which will far exceed my own.
With that version the max size is about 390KB so then we can put in a lot more...

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
    Hacking...
New version... now with SSDT override...
I tried implementing also smbios patch but it never got to booting (just stays at /boot...).
Checked the size: 63200 with smbios patch (could this be the problem?).
I need more info on the problem before I can add this...
As for now... enjoy the new version... :dance_24:

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
/extra supported?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
    Hacking...

/extra supported?

Right... still need to add that... I'll do that this evenening.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
    Hacking...

/extra supported?

At your request I modified the source to support this (took me about 5 minutes...).
It loads the extra drivers from /Extra/Extensions (remember the capital letter on extra...).
Enjoy... :wacko:

cVaD

cVaD

InsanelyMac Geek

• Coders
  • 223 posts
Good job Andy!
But can you include a little readme, about installation steps and possible boot keys.

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
Andy

Thank you!

I will test it and report any bugs.

As for the "readme" (instructions), i think its still the same as the chameleon one.

Edit:
What file did you modify, is it only the "boot" & the rest are still the same as chameleon?
Reason for asking is, if its only the "boot" file, no need to use the rest of the file in the zip.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
    Hacking...

Andy

Thank you!

I will test it and report any bugs.

As for the "readme" (instructions), i think its still the same as the chameleon one.

Edit:
What file did you modify, is it only the "boot" & the rest are still the same as chameleon?
Reason for asking is, if its only the "boot" file, no need to use the rest of the file in the zip.

Yeah just boot as the loading of kexts happen in the third stage of the boot.
You will be pleased as I have allready tested this before publishing (made a little null style kext and put it with the right permissions under /Extra/Extensions and it loaded just fine...).

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
Andy

Extensions.mkext is not supported in /Extra ?

Only support /Extra/Extensions (Folder).

Or, am i missing something here.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,641 posts
    Hacking...

Andy

Extensions.mkext is not supported in /Extra ?

Only support /Extra/Extensions (Folder).

Or, am i missing something here.

It merges this in the main /System/Library/Extensions.mkext.

PinoyMac

PinoyMac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
i admire andy for his enthusiasm good job!

suggestion to make your work user friendly like us noobs make a package installer on all of your works thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy