The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

There is no 9500 GT for Mac, that's why you don't find anything. These drivers will work: http://www.nvidia.co...f03-driver.html

The model identifier requirement can be overridden by editing distribution.dist inside the installer package.

If you have edited NVDANV50Hal.kext before, you will have to edit it again.

Will this driver you posted work for Mountain Lion?

• 3 months later...

OK I am reviving this thread.

After toying with Geforce GTX 550 Ti for a few days to get HDMI working, I decided to return it to the seller because it was too much hassle, but I learnt a few things...

Now I got myself a very cheap (£12.50 GF 9500 GT 1GB Ram HDMI version) and it co-operates much better, plus requires less resources on the old Dell Dim 9200 I now use...

I am a bit late on Lion, Mountain Lion because my old rig was a Dim 8300 and the best and last you could put in is Snow Leo...

Now this is the stuff I did and learnt in the process...

1. NVCAP changes when you change input port (i.e. hdmi, dvi, vga, tv...) so keep track of ioregistry while using a port, it will be for that port...

however I stumbled on a little trick...

2. Using DSDT is ok so long as you know what to put where, and I got myself a DSDT for the HDMI... it worked somewhat with the GF GTX 550, but despite amending it accordingly did not work with the 9500, probably I am missing something...

3. By accident I used my old gfx string of my previous GF Card the XFX GF 8600 GT 256 MB RAM, and surprisingly together with the mods on DSDT (yeah I used HDMI with GF 8600 thru a DVI-I to HDMI adapter, and got it working smooth, so it was HDCP capable), it worked with GF GTX 550, and now is working with GF 9500 GT... amazing huh - I get hdmi working...

4. Next I thought this might be because the 8000 series are recognised natively by MAC OS X, so I tried the latest ever, which is the 8800, and yes it worked too, I get full hdmi on Lion, MLion and SnowL, provided I also use graphics enabler, otherwise it won't work...

5. It also works for dvi and vga so it is fun... and I can always modify the gfx string plist to report GF 9500 GT instead of 8800 GT...

So this is a painless work around to get HDMI through on the GF 9500 GT hdmi version...

Note: I do not know if GF 9800 is supported by Mac OS, but its gfx did not work - it seems the 8000 series only could work...

This method seems to work on other HDCP compliant cards like the GF 550 GTX...

Well this is me sharing this little lucky stumble... have a nice day/night :thumbsup_anim:

Nvidia 9800 is an renamed 8800 - same gpu. Diffs (in detail) by green models - which have some less gpu/vram clock and lower voltages to save about 15% of power (and speed ;) ).

For the OS X drivers it dosnt matter if 8800 or 9800 or 9800 green - all same driver usage.

Only 8800GTS or 8800GTX or 9800GTX are complete different gpu types. (all of them have huge power consumption and not really fast) - avoid such models!

• Like 1

Nvidia 9800 is an renamed 8800 - same gpu. Diffs (in detail) by green models - which have some less gpu/vram clock and lower voltages to save about 15% of power (and speed ;) ).

For the OS X drivers it dosnt matter if 8800 or 9800 or 9800 green - all same driver usage.

Only 8800GTS or 8800GTX or 9800GTX are complete different gpu types. (all of them have huge power consumption and not really fast) - avoid such models!

LOL! :D

I happen to have a spare 8800 GTS Zotac Amp! edition with GDDR3 512 MB memory, and it works quite good on my old rig... it also can connect with dvi-i to hdmi adapter using the gfx string of 8800 GT showing full 1080p hdmi output...

and it is strange that the 9800 gfx string is not accepted...

or maybe the GPU as you said of the 8800 GTS is similar to the GTX 550 Ti, but I am using the gfx string of a 8800 GT... (even that of 8600 GT worked too) :excl:

- I was not impressed by the GTX 550 Ti though, and got my money back from the retailer (I bought this one brand new for the hassle)...

anyways thanks to point this out...