The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
Your Kextstat looks fine except it's odd that nullCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement are both loaded. The first is supposed to prevent the second from loading.

You have a whole bunch of possibly unneeded Chameleon "modules" loading on startup. Try removing the entire modules folder from /Extra, reboot and see what happens.

It also says
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
nVidia GeForce 9500 GT 1024MB NV96 [10de:0640] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
I don't know if that means that your PCI Root value should be 0 instead of 1. But it was before and that didn't work either?

After removing the modules folder, if nothing changes try removing the PciRoot=1 from org.chameleon.Boot.plist and reboot again.

Shunnabunich

Shunnabunich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
OK, I removed the modules folder (though I made a backup), rebooted, video still working but still no acceleration; removed PciRoot=1 and rebooted again, and got a static, garbled image again. Had to boot in single-user mode to put the PciRoot=1 back in, but she's back up and running. Would you like an updated copy of bdmesg's output, or my o.c.Boot.plist, or anything like that?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
PCI Root seems correct at 1, don't mess with it.
Don't put the modules folder back unless you're absolutely sure that you need one or more of the modules.

I'm almost out of ideas. It should just work.

You can try with this MacPro3,1 smbios.plist in /Extra.
Attached File  MacPro3,1 smbios.plist.zip   820bytes   42 downloads

Note that the serial number in it is not valid. You can use this guide to create your own valid serial:
http://prasys.info/2...-serial-number/ (seems to be down at the moment).
There's also a new utility available that can create one for you but I can't recall the name, champlist or something.

Shunnabunich

Shunnabunich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
That plist seems to be a more extensive version of the one I already had in there (this is an installation of iAtkos L2). The link you provided does appear to be down, but I copied the serial number from my existing smbios.plist before replacing it with yours. After rebooting...still nothing. I agree, it should just work — I don't remember 10.6.7 or earlier being quite this stubborn.

I've attached the latest iterations of bdmesg/kextstat's output and o.c.Boot.plist in case they're helpful. I noticed a "LAN Controller [168c:0013]" in bdmesg.txt which refers to my wi-fi card (D-Link DWL-G520 rev.B3, chipset Atheros AR5213), another device which seems to be stubbornly refusing to be supported. Also, there's an /Extra/Keymaps folder with what could be various international keyboard mapping files with .lyt extensions. I've moved that away to the backup folder, although I'm sure that doesn't affect what's going on here.

Sorry if this is frustrating for you! Even if you're almost at a loss now, you've already helped improve my graphics performance somewhat, and I'm grateful for all the help you can give.

Edit: I just rebooted, and saw the line "Error parsing plist file" immediately following Chameleon's reading of smbios.plist. Bdmesg doesn't seem to show that error, but gives that file's size as 1 byte. Maybe it is related to what's screwing up somehow? System Profiler's "About This Mac" window shows my machine as being a summer 2001 iMac whose serial number is "SOMESRLNMBR".

Attached Files

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
You are seeing the iMac8,1 Chameleon smbios defaults (ref. your first bdmesg) Chameleon is not reading /Extra/smbios.plist for some reason. I have reuploaded the MacPro3,1 smbios.plist above (post # 443) try with this one.
Never ever use textedit.app (or god forbid Windows Notepad) to edit plist files, you will break the formatting, resulting in unreadable plists. Use an xml editor or Apple's own plist editor.

Delete this from your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Volumes/Mac OS X/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Default location for smbios.plist is /Extra on the partition where Chameleon is installed, you don't need to specify its location unless you have placed it somewhere else. And why would you do that.

This is wrong:

<key>npci</key>
<string>0x2000</string>

it's npci=0x2000, and this is a kernel flag, not a Chameleon configuration setting, and therefore it goes in the kernel flags string.
Also you have some other settings in there that are the defaults anyway so no reason to have them..Here's an edited one: Attached File  org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip   850bytes   15 downloads
You might want to remove npci=0x02000 and leave the kernel flags string blank. You can type it at the Chameleon boot prompt like other kernel flags - for example npci=0x2000 -v -x to test whether you need it or not.

Shunnabunich

Shunnabunich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Aha! OK, I removed those two keys and added the kernel flag; I assume it'll still automatically look for smbios.plist in the expected location? Funny thing is, neither of those things were put there by me, so I guess it was from the iAtkos distro. I'll reboot and edit this post.

Edit: No discernible change, though bdmesg shows smbios.plist as being 845 bytes long this time, and About This Mac shows the correct Mac Pro. I'll try removing the PCIRoot=1 option again and see if anything's different this time around.

Edit 2: SUCCESS! Animations are smooth like buttah, Core Image blur effects work, resolution switcher is full of options. Oddly, changes to the display's colour calibration only last a little under a second before it snaps back, but this is awesome nonetheless. I never would've figured this out without your help — thank you very much! (Now I can move on to getting this machine on wi-fi without having to run a Firewire cable to my old Mac mini and keep it switched on all day. :rolleyes:)

Edit 3: Revenge of the Edit: Removed the npci=0x2000 kernel flag, but VoodooHDA caused a kernel panic when I rebooted, and I got static instead of a screen image the second time around, so I added it back rather than typing it every time. Also, my calibration profile seems to be back in business. Not sure why it didn't work previously, but it makes me happy as a clam anyway, so who cares!

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
That's great. So you didn't need PciRoot=1 after all - and it wasn't there when I started helping you - so what exactly did we do that fixed your issue? lol

I don't know why the color calibration settings don't stick. Maybe you can fix this with a good deep-cleaning. Can't hurt anything.

Go to www.northernsoftworks.com and download Lion Cache Cleaner. In the main window click the "caches" button, tick "deep cleaning" and all the cleaning options, type your password and let it do its thing. If it appears to have stopped just leave it in the background and do something else, it'll ask you to reboot once it's finally done.

Let me know if it helps..or if anything interesting happens.

About your ethernet/WiFi - see my reply to you here:
http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1778060

Sorry if this is frustrating for you!

Don't worry, believe me I've seen worse. :superman:

Shunnabunich

Shunnabunich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

That's great. So you didn't need PciRoot=1 after all - and it wasn't there when I started helping you - so what exactly did we do that fixed your issue? lol

Well, we fixed the npci=0x2000 kernel flag and got Chameleon to load smbios.plist properly, as well as ensuring that GraphicsEnabler was the only method being used to enable the card and that Chameleon wasn't loading a whole bunch of extra modules. That's...I think that's it...:P Thanks again for your help.

7stinkycats

7stinkycats

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nice thread I've been trying to get acceleration on my Zotac 9500GT ever since 10.6.7 do I have to use the DVI port rather than the VGA to get QE/CI?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
Normally with nvidia cards and a single display you must use the port that is closest to the motherboard when looking towards the back of the case. It doesn't matter what kind of port it is or if you're using a DVI-VGA adapter on that port.

If you want to set up the other port as "primary" you will have to play around with the NVCAP string. This string is specific to your card, though of course you might get lucky using someone elses NVCAP.
NVCAP value can be injected via Chameleon in /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist, DSDT, device properties string or injector.kext just like everything else. Google/forum search, IIRC there is a thread by Krazubu or fassl about NVCAP over on the ProjectOSX forums with the most recent info.

SoundForSoul

SoundForSoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I tried with Strings, but no results yet, back to DSDT method.
Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev. 2 with FF bios version, with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
I've been trying to install two graphic cards: a Gigabyte 8600 GT(256 mb) and a Gainward 9500 GT (1GB), and I got in the point where the I've put the 9500 GT in the 2nd PCI-X 16x slot, and the 8600 GT in the 4th PCI-X (8x) slot ( that was the easiest for me, as I have a moded G5 case, with the bios setting "PCI init dislpay set to PCI-X 8 ( 2 ), which is the slot that the 8600 Gt is mounted on .
After selecting the partition that I want to boot from, the apple logo appears, with the white background, but without that spinning thingie, and, after few seconds, only the 2 monitors connected to the 8600 Gt are ligthing up.
With the attached DSDT, both of the video card appear in the Graphic/Displays, the 8600 GT isperfectly working (at highest resolution ( 2560 x 1500 )), but the 9500 GT is not working (it is recognized, but has no outputs, even though I have two monitors plugged in its outputs).
I have attached the dsdt.
In the system – library – extensions – should I delete: " NVDANV40HAL.kext, NVDANVs0HAL.kext. , NVDARESMAN.kext and NVSMU.kext when using dsdt ? Are those injectors?
I have edited the org.Chameleon.boot.plist in the \extra folder so that no strings or grahics enabler appears, i did that in the System configuration folder's boot.plist, too .
Should I try to switch the position of the GFX Cards and put the 8600 GT in the second 16 pci-x instead of the 8x one or should I try to further edit the dsdt file, since both gfx cards appear to be in the 1st pci slot, in the Graphics/Display, section?
Do you have any idea how to solve that ?
I am willing to pay for somebody to help me, I have already lost 3 days of trying… If someone could recommend me a 4 output or at least 2 gfx that will work for sure with my setup, I could buy them.
Thank you so much in advance!

Attached Files

ollvin

ollvin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure this is the right place to post...
Here is my problem : I've been working for 1 year and a half with kakewalk on a Gigabyte X58A UD3R config (see signature for details). With Os 10.6.6.
I'm now having trouble with the Nvidia 9500GT card in newer version of 3d apps (Daz Studio...), and even display bugs in Word. Looks like all this is comming from the graphic card. I see on Nvidia's website that there is no official drivers for the card on mac so I don't even know how it's really working on this hackintosh.
What can I do to fix theses graphic problems ? Is there any kext stuff or so that can be updated just for the card ?
I'm a bit lost with hardware trouble solving on hackintosh. If someone can point me the way to go...

Thanks

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
There is no 9500 GT for Mac, that's why you don't find anything. These drivers will work: http://www.nvidia.co...f03-driver.html
The model identifier requirement can be overridden by editing distribution.dist inside the installer package.

If you have edited NVDANV50Hal.kext before, you will have to edit it again.

Elad Nava

Elad Nava

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

There is no 9500 GT for Mac, that's why you don't find anything. These drivers will work: http://www.nvidia.co...f03-driver.html
The model identifier requirement can be overridden by editing distribution.dist inside the installer package.

If you have edited NVDANV50Hal.kext before, you will have to edit it again.

Will this driver you posted work for Mountain Lion?

bgrau

bgrau

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
OK I am reviving this thread.

After toying with Geforce GTX 550 Ti for a few days to get HDMI working, I decided to return it to the seller because it was too much hassle, but I learnt a few things...

Now I got myself a very cheap (£12.50 GF 9500 GT 1GB Ram HDMI version) and it co-operates much better, plus requires less resources on the old Dell Dim 9200 I now use...
I am a bit late on Lion, Mountain Lion because my old rig was a Dim 8300 and the best and last you could put in is Snow Leo...

Now this is the stuff I did and learnt in the process...

1. NVCAP changes when you change input port (i.e. hdmi, dvi, vga, tv...) so keep track of ioregistry while using a port, it will be for that port...

however I stumbled on a little trick...

2. Using DSDT is ok so long as you know what to put where, and I got myself a DSDT for the HDMI... it worked somewhat with the GF GTX 550, but despite amending it accordingly did not work with the 9500, probably I am missing something...

3. By accident I used my old gfx string of my previous GF Card the XFX GF 8600 GT 256 MB RAM, and surprisingly together with the mods on DSDT (yeah I used HDMI with GF 8600 thru a DVI-I to HDMI adapter, and got it working smooth, so it was HDCP capable), it worked with GF GTX 550, and now is working with GF 9500 GT... amazing huh - I get hdmi working...

4. Next I thought this might be because the 8000 series are recognised natively by MAC OS X, so I tried the latest ever, which is the 8800, and yes it worked too, I get full hdmi on Lion, MLion and SnowL, provided I also use graphics enabler, otherwise it won't work...

5. It also works for dvi and vga so it is fun... and I can always modify the gfx string plist to report GF 9500 GT instead of 8800 GT...

So this is a painless work around to get HDMI through on the GF 9500 GT hdmi version...

Note: I do not know if GF 9800 is supported by Mac OS, but its gfx did not work - it seems the 8000 series only could work...

This method seems to work on other HDCP compliant cards like the GF 550 GTX...

Well this is me sharing this little lucky stumble... have a nice day/night :thumbsup_anim:

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts
Nvidia 9800 is an renamed 8800 - same gpu. Diffs (in detail) by green models - which have some less gpu/vram clock and lower voltages to save about 15% of power (and speed ;) ).
For the OS X drivers it dosnt matter if 8800 or 9800 or 9800 green - all same driver usage.
Only 8800GTS or 8800GTX or 9800GTX are complete different gpu types. (all of them have huge power consumption and not really fast) - avoid such models!

bgrau

bgrau

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Nvidia 9800 is an renamed 8800 - same gpu. Diffs (in detail) by green models - which have some less gpu/vram clock and lower voltages to save about 15% of power (and speed ;) ).
For the OS X drivers it dosnt matter if 8800 or 9800 or 9800 green - all same driver usage.
Only 8800GTS or 8800GTX or 9800GTX are complete different gpu types. (all of them have huge power consumption and not really fast) - avoid such models!

LOL! :D
I happen to have a spare 8800 GTS Zotac Amp! edition with GDDR3 512 MB memory, and it works quite good on my old rig... it also can connect with dvi-i to hdmi adapter using the gfx string of 8800 GT showing full 1080p hdmi output...
and it is strange that the 9800 gfx string is not accepted...
or maybe the GPU as you said of the 8800 GTS is similar to the GTX 550 Ti, but I am using the gfx string of a 8800 GT... (even that of 8600 GT worked too) :excl:
- I was not impressed by the GTX 550 Ti though, and got my money back from the retailer (I bought this one brand new for the hassle)...
anyways thanks to point this out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy