Solved DVI Output (NVCAP) on 8400 GS

super_engine

44 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, seriously need some help here.

I've been trying hard to get my 8400M G with 128mb Vram (not 8400M GS) working on my Asus U6S but so far have not been able to do so. I installed Mac OS X using iATKOS v7 disk.

I tried using NVinject, NVdarwin, NVkush, Nvenabler, Corevidia, NVinjectGo etc but was unable to get the screen displayed on my laptop. However, when I connected a VGA cable to the TV the screen came out fine on the TV. I was able to change the resolution etc and movement on the screen was much faster. I have a HDMI output as well but I did not try it out.

Using PlistPro editor, I tried a couple of NVCAP values but they all yield the same results. These are some of the values that I have tried:

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000

04000000 00000100 06000000 00000000 00000000

04000000 00000100 0e000000 00000000 00000000

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000007 00000000

I have tried to enable QE and CI but it's still the same.

Saw this thread and followed the steps given and same thing again, blank screen on my laptop but ok on the TV screen.

This is a screenshot of the Graphics/Display properties of the steps from this thread, note that the Vram is 512mb instead of 128mb in my card but everything else seems to be working fine. The other screenshot was with NVinjectGo, 128mb was correctly displayed but performance wise is the same as NVinject.

I have also read that if I can provide the VGA BIOS I could get the correct NVCAP values. However, I have tried using Nvflash 441, 512, 550, 572 and 580 but it's either I received the message "Supported EEPROM not found" or I got a 0 byte ROM file.

I just wish the screen to appear on my notebook instead via VGA or HDMI so that I can truly enjoy the Mac OS experience in my notebook.

Would appreciate greatly if someone could enlighten me over here. Thank you very much in advance.

NVinject.jpg

NVinjectGo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, after long fight I've made my 8400M GS work under OSX. Works: dual screen and Quartz Extreme. Just look here:

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0427

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

BenQ X900:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

My working NVdarwin.kext is in attachment.

NVdarwin.kext.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well, after long fight I've made my 8400M GS work under OSX. Works: dual screen and Quartz Extreme. Just look here:

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS:

My working NVdarwin.kext is in attachment.

I have the same card, device ID and all. Can't get VGA Output to work.

I tried your Kext, but still no luck =/

It's a shame, I have a HP DV2890NR (Artist Edition)

I got it to work with almost everything (except audio jacks and wireless, but a dongle for wireless will solve that)

I haven't tried with HDMI output yet. Maybe tomorrow on the LCD at my work place.

If you can give me any details about what did you do to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Luke -

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys tried using EFI strings if you're on a Chameleon (or similar) install? Most NVIDIA cards (including 8400GS) are supported this way and tend to give pretty good results.

I'm on Snow Leopard now with a 512MB 8400GS and I couldn't get any of the NVInject-style kexts to work well enough, so I went with EFI strings but I was still having some graphics problems like getting stuck at a blue screen on resolution change, very delayed (I mean it took hours) color inversion when using Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+8, full screen games weren't working and there was just general choppiness when using either DVI or VGA. The problems were there in Leopard as well but I never found a fix.

Today, just for fun I tried setting up 2 monitors as an extended desktop using both VGA + DVI ports at the same time and boom my problems magically went away. My resolution now changes perfectly fine, color gets inverted like it should and animations are a whole lot smoother.

It also works if you just plug a spare cable in to the spare VGA/DVI port that you're not using – it doesn't even have to be attached to a monitor.

Have you guys tried using EFI strings if you're on a Chameleon (or similar) install? Most NVIDIA cards (including 8400GS) are supported this way and tend to give pretty good results.

I'm on Snow Leopard now with a 512MB 8400GS and I couldn't get any of the NVInject-style kexts to work well enough, so I went with EFI strings but I was still having some graphics problems like getting stuck at a blue screen on resolution change, very delayed (I mean it took hours) color inversion when using Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+8, full screen games weren't working and there was just general choppiness when using either DVI or VGA. The problems were there in Leopard as well but I never found a fix.

Today, just for fun I tried setting up 2 monitors as an extended desktop using both VGA + DVI ports at the same time and boom my problems magically went away. My resolution now changes perfectly fine, color gets inverted like it should and animations are a whole lot smoother.

It also works if you just plug a spare cable in to the spare VGA/DVI port that you're not using – it doesn't even have to be attached to a monitor.

Thanks for this great tip. And indeed it switches resolutions fine now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

In fact I investigated this a bit further. For single monitor setups you HAVE to connect your monitor to the DVI-port and put a spare cable into the analog port. Otherwise this trick wont work.

Using the analog port and leave a DVI-analog adaptor also doesn't work. You really need to plug your monitor on the DVI-port (either through an DVI-adaptor ot DVI-analog cable) and leave the spare cable attached to the analog port.

For your info this is my system.

Pentium 4 630 (3GHz Hyperthreading)

ECS 915-P mainboard

Asus GF 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 silent (the one with the big silver heatsink)

2GB DDR1 Ram

OSX 10.5.2 (Kallyway DVD using the included NVinject 0.2.0)

Thanks again to LennyX.

• 3 weeks later...

8400M GS 64mb

I can not achieve work HDMI over dsdt

add to nvdarwin1.2.5 string:

0401000000000100060000000000010b00000000 (BAEAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAABCwAAAAA=) - HDMI work

Qaurtz supported

When add this string in dsdt - HDMI the port does not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

One of my friends has a problem. It is not a really big one, but still it is a problem. On his desktop, he installed iDeneb 10.5.5. Most of the hardware works great even the video card -Galaxy 8400gs 512MB/64bit- with Q/E enabled. But here is the problem. In some full screen games (i.e. 4 of 7 games) the screen remains black. Only the sound works. But that happens only in 1024x768 resolution. With the default resolution that shows right after installation, 800x600, those games that doesnt work in 1024x768 - works without a problem. Ok, my question is: bad driver -i've tried other kexts for this card, but the problem persist- or something else? What can i do to fix this minor issue? :hysterical:

Thanks.

post-544004-1261403381_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
Nikelonedon follow this items:

1. Open extensions folder and copy (or replace) NVINJECT.KEXT

1. Open terminal (in utilities menu)

2. Type:

sudo -s and digit your admin password

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd system

cd library

cd extensions

chmod -R 755 nvinject.kext

chown -R root:wheel nvinject.kext

cd ..

rm extensions.mkext

kextcache -k extensions

reboot

3. Wait the system reboot and pray

Good luck

IT WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! THANK YOU!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have long tried to run my nvidia 8400 gs on the DVI port, and it does not work. When I boot on the DVI port, I have a black screen. When I boot the VGA port is working well.

I set up the EFI STRING com.apple.boot.plist in the file.

What should I do to boot on the DVI port?

Thank you for your help.

• 10 months later...
Hi to all

After some tries i have solved the problem for the output on the DVI (digital) on the 8400 GS

In the first time i tried only with VGA (analog) but the quality of images was absolutely not good.

So after some research on this forum i have tried to activate both outputs (DVI VGA) and now the DVI output work very fine.

Attached the modified NVINJECT.KEXT for activate both outputs (DVI VGA)

Change, repair the permissions (CHMOD CHOWN), reset extensions.mkext (KEXTCACHE -K) and reboot

Good Luck

Works perfect!

Used with Asus 8400GS 256mb - iDeneb 10.5.5

Thanks