Solved DVI Output (NVCAP) on 8400 GS

super_engine

44 posts in this topic

Hi to all

After some tries i have solved the problem for the output on the DVI (digital) on the 8400 GS

In the first time i tried only with VGA (analog) but the quality of images was absolutely not good.

So after some research on this forum i have tried to activate both outputs (DVI VGA) and now the DVI output work very fine.

Attached the modified NVINJECT.KEXT for activate both outputs (DVI VGA)

Change, repair the permissions (CHMOD CHOWN), reset extensions.mkext (KEXTCACHE -K) and reboot

Good Luck

NVinject.kext.zip

PLease!

I have the same card (XFX 8400 GS) but i can´t get runnig the DVI output

I use NVKush instead of NVinject

Anyway..

Can you please explainme line by line what exactly did you do?

I have no idea how to do the permissions and clear cache so

Thanks in advanced

Nikelonedon follow this items:

1. Open extensions folder and copy (or replace) NVINJECT.KEXT

1. Open terminal (in utilities menu)

2. Type:

sudo -s and digit your admin password

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd system

cd library

cd extensions

chmod -R 755 nvinject.kext

chown -R root:wheel nvinject.kext

cd ..

rm extensions.mkext

kextcache -k extensions

reboot

3. Wait the system reboot and pray

Good luck

Did you get the card using only the DVI output. I've got an 8400GS 512MB and I've got it working on the VGA alone or with dual monitors on the VGA & DVI. But I can't get the thing to work properly with just a DVI output. It will work on a low res setting, but when I bump it up, I get a blue screen.

I'm using NVinject.0.2.1 and an NVCAP of 04000000 00000300 04000000 00000007 00000000.

Also, this is a small but annoying thing. The grid view is a little choppy when opening and closing. Do you see that as well? It's a small thing but it bugs me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just tried this kect on my PNY GeForce 8400 GS VCG8400SXEB 256MB PCIe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

I did a plain install of iPC10.5.6 and then installed this. I get 1920x1080 screen and accelerated CI/QE but anytime I try to change resolutions, I get hit by blue screen and unlike a normal bad resolution which waits for a user to confirm, or switches back.. I get stuck and have to reboot and remove. Is this normal?

Its closer than I was before, that is for sure (my card seems really cranky)

EDIT: so this is the 1st/only kext where I can get into a borked state, remove it (-s mode) and re-install repeatedly and still get _some_ positive effect (most are not repeatable for me).

so I only get 1280x768 (I think) resolution (with HW accel) and still can't change resolution. Ideas?

thanks,

Mike

I've got this same card (PNY from NewEgg.com) and DVI works fine for me unless the Hackintosh goes to sleep. When it wakes from sleep my DVI connected monitor won't come up. If connected via VGA it does however.

I have also seen the blue screen if I change resolutions to something that I shouldn't. Sometimes I'll get the message about waiting 15 seconds and then it will revert back. But sometimes it doesn't display that and it's what hoses me up. If connected via VGA I don't seem to have this issue with blue screens.

Thanks.

-- Jeff

I've got this same card (PNY from NewEgg.com) and DVI works fine for me unless the Hackintosh goes to sleep. When it wakes from sleep my DVI connected monitor won't come up. If connected via VGA it does however.

I have also seen the blue screen if I change resolutions to something that I shouldn't. Sometimes I'll get the message about waiting 15 seconds and then it will revert back. But sometimes it doesn't display that and it's what hoses me up. If connected via VGA I don't seem to have this issue with blue screens.

Thanks.

-- Jeff

Can you switch resolutions?

This is the cloest kext I have found so far.. but when I switch resolutions my screen goes blue.. and never comes back. I do not have VGA connected, I am using DVI.

When I reinstall I typically get 1280x768 (I think), and its accelerated.. but I can't switch to my desired 1920x1080 :wacko:

EDIT: did you edit any NVCAPs in the other kexts? or just install this and voila?

Can you switch resolutions?

This is the cloest kext I have found so far.. but when I switch resolutions my screen goes blue.. and never comes back. I do not have VGA connected, I am using DVI.

When I reinstall I typically get 1280x768 (I think), and its accelerated.. but I can't switch to my desired 1920x1080 :)

EDIT: did you edit any NVCAPs in the other kexts? or just install this and voila?

I can switch resolutions pretty well. I only installed the kext. But does this work correctly 10.5.6? I've read that it might not. I would love to go the route of EFI strings but not sure how to proceed with that.

Thanks. -- Jeff

This NVCAP give to me DVI output:

BAAAAAAAAgAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAABQAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAABgAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAABwAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAQANAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

BAAAAAAABAAAAAAHAAAAAA==

This NVCAP give to me VGA output:

BAAAAAAAAQAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAwAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= (EFi Studio built-in)

Super_engine's value gives to me both outputs:

BAAAAAAAAQACAAAAAAAAAA==

Thanks.

(Tried with NVKush & NVinject).

Folks wanting to tweak bits might want to check this thread: http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214

I was able to get my PNY 8400gs (low profile) (DVI/svideo/VGA) working pretty well with an NVCAP of 04000000 00000200 00000000 00000000 00000000

I'm not convinced its perfect yet, but I can now change resolutions and survive a reboot (my attempt in my NVCAP was to disable ALL ports except DVI, thinking the the restart problem was the card losing track of which port to use..so I tried to give it no decisions to make)

I get a little bit of wierd stuff (like 1920x1080 0Hz as a resolution choice)

Its a new PC, so no floppy, so I'm trying to figure out how to get a simple bootable DOS USB stick or CD and run nvflash to see what I get from that.

EDIT: in case it matters, I am using iPC 10.5.6

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i just installed this kext but still no QE/CI on my nVidia 8400 GS 256mb.

I have the same mobo as you. This is the last thing to get me Hackintosh running perfectly... ^_^

thanx for the kext anyways. the search continues...so does the desperation.

h

post-392348-1239551963_thumb.jpg