43 replies to this topic

focusedfreedom

focusedfreedom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Can you switch resolutions?

This is the cloest kext I have found so far.. but when I switch resolutions my screen goes blue.. and never comes back. I do not have VGA connected, I am using DVI.

When I reinstall I typically get 1280x768 (I think), and its accelerated.. but I can't switch to my desired 1920x1080 :)

EDIT: did you edit any NVCAPs in the other kexts? or just install this and voila?

I can switch resolutions pretty well. I only installed the kext. But does this work correctly 10.5.6? I've read that it might not. I would love to go the route of EFI strings but not sure how to proceed with that.

Thanks. -- Jeff

miliuco

miliuco

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 396 posts
This NVCAP give to me DVI output:

BAAAAAAAAgAAAAAHAAAAAA==
BAAAAAAABQAAAAAHAAAAAA==
BAAAAAAABgAAAAAHAAAAAA==
BAAAAAAABwAAAAAHAAAAAA==
BAAAAAAAAQANAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
BAAAAAAABAAAAAAHAAAAAA==

This NVCAP give to me VGA output:

BAAAAAAAAQAAAAAHAAAAAA==
BAAAAAAAAwAAAAAHAAAAAA==

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= (EFi Studio built-in)

Super_engine's value gives to me both outputs:

BAAAAAAAAQACAAAAAAAAAA==

Thanks.

(Tried with NVKush & NVinject).

zim2dive

zim2dive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Folks wanting to tweak bits might want to check this thread: http://nvinject.free...topic.php?t=214

I was able to get my PNY 8400gs (low profile) (DVI/svideo/VGA) working pretty well with an NVCAP of 04000000 00000200 00000000 00000000 00000000

I'm not convinced its perfect yet, but I can now change resolutions and survive a reboot (my attempt in my NVCAP was to disable ALL ports except DVI, thinking the the restart problem was the card losing track of which port to use..so I tried to give it no decisions to make)

I get a little bit of wierd stuff (like 1920x1080 0Hz as a resolution choice)

Its a new PC, so no floppy, so I'm trying to figure out how to get a simple bootable DOS USB stick or CD and run nvflash to see what I get from that.

EDIT: in case it matters, I am using iPC 10.5.6

hhi2

hhi2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi super_engine, I have been search the solution for long time, eventually you provided me the solution! You save my life, thank you!

the happy prince

the happy prince

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
hi

i just installed this kext but still no QE/CI on my nVidia 8400 GS 256mb.

I have the same mobo as you. This is the last thing to get me Hackintosh running perfectly... ^_^

thanx for the kext anyways. the search continues...so does the desperation.

h

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.jpg   39.8KB   210 downloads

stoned_crazy

stoned_crazy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Super_engine, you are my new hero. That kext gets my Dell D830 NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M working with QE/CI and external VGA at the same time too!

Thanks!

vegasgs

vegasgs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks... you fix my D630 Q/E problem... :o

spink123

spink123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi all, seriously need some help here.

I've been trying hard to get my 8400M G with 128mb Vram (not 8400M GS) working on my Asus U6S but so far have not been able to do so. I installed Mac OS X using iATKOS v7 disk.

I tried using NVinject, NVdarwin, NVkush, Nvenabler, Corevidia, NVinjectGo etc but was unable to get the screen displayed on my laptop. However, when I connected a VGA cable to the TV the screen came out fine on the TV. I was able to change the resolution etc and movement on the screen was much faster. I have a HDMI output as well but I did not try it out.

Using PlistPro editor, I tried a couple of NVCAP values but they all yield the same results. These are
some of the values that I have tried:

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000
04000000 00000100 06000000 00000000 00000000
04000000 00000100 0e000000 00000000 00000000

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000007 00000000

I have tried to enable QE and CI but it's still the same.

Saw this thread and followed the steps given and same thing again, blank screen on my laptop but ok on the TV screen.

This is a screenshot of the Graphics/Display properties of the steps from this thread, note that the Vram is 512mb instead of 128mb in my card but everything else seems to be working fine. The other screenshot was with NVinjectGo, 128mb was correctly displayed but performance wise is the same as NVinject.

I have also read that if I can provide the VGA BIOS I could get the correct NVCAP values. However, I have tried using Nvflash 441, 512, 550, 572 and 580 but it's either I received the message "Supported EEPROM not found" or I got a 0 byte ROM file.

I just wish the screen to appear on my notebook instead via VGA or HDMI so that I can truly enjoy the Mac OS experience in my notebook.

Would appreciate greatly if someone could enlighten me over here. Thank you very much in advance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

spink123

spink123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anybody able to help me out? thank you for your kind assistance...

xiniu

xiniu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, after long fight I've made my 8400M GS work under OSX. Works: dual screen and Quartz Extreme. Just look here:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0427
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
BenQ X900:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

My working NVdarwin.kext is in attachment.

Attached Files

c0olzero

c0olzero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Will this work with Quadro NVS 140m since they have the same GPU chipset?

Where did you get all those strings from?

LukeBauer

LukeBauer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Well, after long fight I've made my 8400M GS work under OSX. Works: dual screen and Quartz Extreme. Just look here:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS:

My working NVdarwin.kext is in attachment.

I have the same card, device ID and all. Can't get VGA Output to work.

I tried your Kext, but still no luck =/

It's a shame, I have a HP DV2890NR (Artist Edition)
I got it to work with almost everything (except audio jacks and wireless, but a dongle for wireless will solve that)

I haven't tried with HDMI output yet. Maybe tomorrow on the LCD at my work place.

If you can give me any details about what did you do to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Luke -

LennyX

LennyX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Have you guys tried using EFI strings if you're on a Chameleon (or similar) install? Most NVIDIA cards (including 8400GS) are supported this way and tend to give pretty good results.

I'm on Snow Leopard now with a 512MB 8400GS and I couldn't get any of the NVInject-style kexts to work well enough, so I went with EFI strings but I was still having some graphics problems like getting stuck at a blue screen on resolution change, very delayed (I mean it took hours) color inversion when using Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+8, full screen games weren't working and there was just general choppiness when using either DVI or VGA. The problems were there in Leopard as well but I never found a fix.

Today, just for fun I tried setting up 2 monitors as an extended desktop using both VGA + DVI ports at the same time and boom my problems magically went away. My resolution now changes perfectly fine, color gets inverted like it should and animations are a whole lot smoother.

It also works if you just plug a spare cable in to the spare VGA/DVI port that you're not using – it doesn't even have to be attached to a monitor.

EPDM

EPDM

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Have you guys tried using EFI strings if you're on a Chameleon (or similar) install? Most NVIDIA cards (including 8400GS) are supported this way and tend to give pretty good results.

I'm on Snow Leopard now with a 512MB 8400GS and I couldn't get any of the NVInject-style kexts to work well enough, so I went with EFI strings but I was still having some graphics problems like getting stuck at a blue screen on resolution change, very delayed (I mean it took hours) color inversion when using Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+8, full screen games weren't working and there was just general choppiness when using either DVI or VGA. The problems were there in Leopard as well but I never found a fix.

Today, just for fun I tried setting up 2 monitors as an extended desktop using both VGA + DVI ports at the same time and boom my problems magically went away. My resolution now changes perfectly fine, color gets inverted like it should and animations are a whole lot smoother.

It also works if you just plug a spare cable in to the spare VGA/DVI port that you're not using – it doesn't even have to be attached to a monitor.

Thanks for this great tip. And indeed it switches resolutions fine now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

In fact I investigated this a bit further. For single monitor setups you HAVE to connect your monitor to the DVI-port and put a spare cable into the analog port. Otherwise this trick wont work.

Using the analog port and leave a DVI-analog adaptor also doesn't work. You really need to plug your monitor on the DVI-port (either through an DVI-adaptor ot DVI-analog cable) and leave the spare cable attached to the analog port.

For your info this is my system.

Pentium 4 630 (3GHz Hyperthreading)
ECS 915-P mainboard
Asus GF 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 silent (the one with the big silver heatsink)
2GB DDR1 Ram

OSX 10.5.2 (Kallyway DVD using the included NVinject 0.2.0)

Thanks again to LennyX.

TavinhoCosta

TavinhoCosta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey, work for me this tips, but i can't calibrate or change color options in display.
How i fix this?

TavinhoCosta

TavinhoCosta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
super_engine

Can you help me?????

Tips and Ideas for my question? Anybody???

chencho

chencho

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
xiniu, nvdarwin dont work into Snow Leopard :'(

I have 1024 resolution and no Q/E enabled

daclothe

daclothe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
For those of you that have it working with DVI+VGA, can you please post the EFI strings that you are using?

tirpir

tirpir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
8400M GS 64mb
I can not achieve work HDMI over dsdt
add to nvdarwin1.2.5 string:
0401000000000100060000000000010b00000000 (BAEAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAABCwAAAAA=) - HDMI work
Qaurtz supported

When add this string in dsdt - HDMI the port does not work.

Chaz0ne

Chaz0ne

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

One of my friends has a problem. It is not a really big one, but still it is a problem. On his desktop, he installed iDeneb 10.5.5. Most of the hardware works great even the video card -Galaxy 8400gs 512MB/64bit- with Q/E enabled. But here is the problem. In some full screen games (i.e. 4 of 7 games) the screen remains black. Only the sound works. But that happens only in 1024x768 resolution. With the default resolution that shows right after installation, 800x600, those games that doesnt work in 1024x768 - works without a problem. Ok, my question is: bad driver -i've tried other kexts for this card, but the problem persist- or something else? What can i do to fix this minor issue? :hysterical:

Thanks.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy