MSI MegaBook GX700 owners experieces

alyosa2001

132 posts in this topic

Hello this thread is for all MSI GX700 users that want to try installing OS X on their PC's not as the main OS allthough it has ALMOST all the functionalities of a MACBOOK PRO. My model is GX700x-255EU

So, here it is how to install iDeneb 1.4 (Leopard 10.5.6), thanks to Tangra:

1. at boot hit F8 then type "-v" without the quotes and ENTER to boot in verbose mode to identify the problem if is not booting

2. open dusk utility and format (ERASE command) your hfs+ partition. NOTE: this partition will became the active one but the chameleon bootloader will see all your other OS partitions

3. customize your install and select the following:

- Audio -->ALC-->ALC888

- Chipset --> ICHx Fixed

- Fix --> Battery Manager

- GenericCPUManagement

-Video -->Nvidia-->Nvinject-->Nvinject 0.2.1 512Mb

- Applications --> OSx86Tools

If you have other OS (eg Windows and MACDRIVE) do not select seatbelt fix, but after the install boot in it and delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the AppleAPIC.kext from /System/Library/Extensions with the ones from the attachments; then reboot in OS X and reinstall with osx86tools the ones from attachment... else select this patch

At boot start-up do not forget to hit F8 ant type CPUS=1 until you install DSDT patcher. Here it is how:

- use the chameleon file in chameleon.zip to replace the boot file placed in the root of your instalation drive, then use the DSDT patcher inside DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip to create dsdt.aml, which you copy again to the root.

Next install Voodoo 9.6 for better cpu optimizations, Voodoo_XNU_9.6.0_V1.1.pkg here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gl1nmwjen0y

Finally for IntelEnhancedSpeedStep install VoodooPower.kext version 1.2.3 from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

The following is OBSOLETE (but still working)

it has dual boot XP and Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1

I remained at this version because it works with Intel SpeedStep enabled.

The notebook has the following characteristics:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (only one core working with CPUS=1 flag)

nVidia 8600 M GT 512MB DDR2 (with NVInstallerV.41.pkg) dual monitor not tested

Realtek High Definition Audio DEV: 0888 Subsys: 14624327 ( with AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip)

Ethernet Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit (works by default)

Bluetooth works by default

Firewire not tested yet

DVD Writter Simtype DVD A DS8A 1P works

Trackpad works with scrolling, tapping and special functions (2-fingers and 3-fingers) enabled out-of-the-box

USB-s are working

Wireless WiFi 4965AGN doesn't work

I tried to update the BIOS using MACNUT's modified version for dual-core support but it resulted in making my notebook unusable

What i would like to know is:

1. another method for using both cores?

2. how to update to 10.5.4 or better leaving the SPEEDSTEP option enabled in BIOS

3. any way of showing the battery metter

please feel free to reply for any questions/requests

Many thanks again to all the poeple that have posted here and all involved in osx86 comunity

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

chameleon.zip

DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip

fixed_acpi_kexts.zip

Hello this thread is for MSI GX700 users. My model is GX700x-255EU, it has dual boot XP and Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1

I remained at this version because it works with Intel SpeedStep enabled.

The notebook has the following characteristics:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (only one core working with CPUS=1 flag)

nVidia 8600 M GT 512MB DDR2 (with NVInstallerV.41.pkg) dual monitor not tested

Realtek High Definition Audio DEV: 0888 Subsys: 14624327 ( with AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip)

Ethernet Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit (works by default)

Bluetooth works by default

Firewire not tested yet

DVD Writter Simtype DVD A DS8A 1P works

Trackpad works with scrolling, tapping and special functions (2-fingers and 3-fingers) enabled out-of-the-box

USB-s are working

Wireless WiFi 4965AGN doesn't work

I tried to update the BIOS using MACNUT's modified version for dual-core support but it resulted in making my notebook unusable

What i would like to know is:

1. another method for using both cores?

2. how to update to 10.5.4 or better leaving the SPEEDSTEP option enabled in BIOS

3. any way of showing the battery metter

please feel free to reply for any questions/requests

Congratulations in your OSX86 installation. Earlier this year I successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on my GX600. If I remember correctly everything worked fine. As for the wireless the easiest way to get it to work both on Windows Vista and OSX is to swap it out with a RealTek 8187L mini-PCI card. That is what I did. You can purchase these on Ebay usually for less than $10 each and it is an easy take out the old card and install the new card procedure. You can download the Windows drivers from the RealTek site and some of the modded OSX86 install CD's have the driver for them for Leopard. Or you can also download it at RealTek's site also. I no longer have the laptop, but it was a great laptop with Vista and Leopard on it. I hope this helps. God Bless :D

I forgot to add that I had upgraded my CPU to an Intel Extreme X7800 running at 2.88GHz and I *think* both cores were working. God Bless :D

I tried iDeneb v1.3 Leopard 10.5.5 and it works very good, now i have batery metter, SLEEP mode WORKS! :D

In order to make it work (if you do a fresh install) you must select ACPI patch, ICH fix and powermanager fix, and CPUS=1 - fix.

Foe video i used nvkush, in my opinion it looks better than nvinstal.

The only thing not working is the 4696 WiFi adapter and the both cores of the processor (do NOT try to modify the BIOS on this system!! :) )

If somebody tried the BOOT-132 alternative please feel free to share your experiences

When i try to use vanilla AppleAcpiPlatform my laptop freezes at boot. If i use the patched one included in ideneb DVD it says:

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initialising version1.4.0 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com>

dsmos: Starting...

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN There was an error while getting PState array from ACPI. Please create your P-State table manually

My battery lasts only 45 mins, while in windows it can last upto 2 hours

post-262697-1227302346_thumb.jpg

Yes, i've just enables both cores!!!! Here it is how:

use the chameleon file in chameleon.zip to replace the boot file placed in the root of your instalation drive.

then use the DSDT patcher inside DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip to create dsdt.aml, which you copy again to the root.

Reboot with CPUS=2 and, voila!!!!

Does you card reader work?

I don't know, haven't tested it yet

Thank you very much Mackerintel, fssl, Kabyl, OriginalMacnut and all the people involved in the OSx86 project!!

chameleon.zip

DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip

Yes, i've just enables both cores!!!! Here it is how:

use the chameleon file in chameleon.zip to replace the boot file placed in the root of your instalation drive.

then use the DSDT patcher inside DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip to create dsdt.aml, which you copy again to the root.

Reboot with CPUS=2 and, voila!!!!

I don't know, haven't tested it yet

Thank you very much Mackerintel, fssl, Kabyl, OriginalMacnut and all the people involved in the OSx86 project!!

Oh, Great! Nice job!

I have the LG R700 Notebook (based on MSI GX700) with the same hardware inside.

I spent days of my short life, when trying to install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5.

Can you help me understand - How to install 10.5.5 with 2 cores enabled.

I can install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 with any of proposed kernel choosen.

But after installation I can't boot into OSX.

Frozen, With error " No HPETs available CPUs..."

I was trying to install in cases when SpeesStep Ena/Disab;

What is the right way to install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 on GX700 with both cores working ?

Regards

You should try to disable IntelEnhancedSpeedStep from BIOS, boot from DVD, install with CPUS=1 patch, Intel ICH9 patch and don't choose a kernel from the list (it will instal the default 9.5.0 vanilla one).

I don't recommend installing NvKush, because i did and now i cannot uninstall it, and the video performance isn't good, on my 8600M GT it doesn't play HD at full frames.

Later you SHOULD try kernel voodoo http://groups.google.com/group/xnu-dev/web/home

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I have GX700-255EU and I've tried to install Kalyway Leopard but fail cause when I finish the installation, it restarts and when system boot come, only white screen appears with big apple on the screen.... and nothing... I've tried to reinstall, to restart etc.... nothing... How did you manage to install it on your laptop? iDeneb or Kalyway?

Can you explain step by step how did you manage to install it on your laptop and what drivers must I install when I (hopefully) install OSX on my laptop (and where can I download it)? Please be patient cause I don't know much about this and I really want OSX on my laptop.

Thanx ;)

hello yugpilot127, i am very pleased to know you are interested, i will try to help you as much as i can, i will tell you what to do as i remember.

firts things first when booting from dvd hit F8 key, a boot loader will appear then type CPUS= -1 -f -v

this works for both Kalyway and iDeneb, i recommend iDeneb

from the install menu options select CPUS=1 patch and ICH9 patch.

After the install, use osx86 tools to install the video frivers. You can download it from here http://######.com/osx86tools/index....2&Itemid=26

For sound use the azaliaaudio package i've attached or the osx86 tools, the output will work but no microfone or headphones

i will try to remember the steps i did and to give you link to the posts i have read

this is the thread i've used to install Kalyway, it is VERY good

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98504

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Update for video drivers use nvinstaller v.52 and choose only 512MB option, DO NOT choose laptop Go option, it made my boot to blank screen (i had to reboot from the install DVD, use Disk utility to repair permissions and delete the /system/library/extensions/nvinjectgo.kext from other OS, I have XP dual boot, then copy the nvinject.kext from http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php, latest NVInject.0.2.1_512MB.zip, then boot in Single user mode (at start-up hit F8 then write -s) and write:

sudo -s

mount -uw /

sudo chown -R 0:0 /system/library/extensions/nvinject.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/nvinject.kext

This made my system boot OS X, then deleted the nvinject.kext (it only worked in software mode) and install nvinstaller)

The new voodoo kernel Release 1.0 Rev A is available at http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/downloads/list

Alexalex123, i did not say to log as root, by root folder i meant the root of OS X partition, where you find files like Kernel_mach, etc.

Copy those files in root then install voodoo kernel, boot with CPUS=2 at startup and let me know how it works

Has anybody ran performance tests, compared to a MacBookPro or tested the speedstep?

o0okay thanks for that alyosa

Iv got the 2 cores working now, but sleep doesn't work 100% when i put the computer to sleep its fine but when it comes out of it the first core goes up to 100% while the 2nd core is around 8 -20 % and then the computer freezes.

And checking right now how long the battery is lasting for and its not looking to good so far. it cant shot the time left just says (calculating) but it shows percent and thats going down pretty quickly.

a few more questions alyosa, have you figured anything out for the sound inputs/outputs, whats your work around for the not supported wifi card?, and is your battery able to last the average battery life as xp ( for me it was usually around 1 and a half hours to about 2 hours but now on osx i seem to be getting 40 minutes

The battery life is minimal, about 40 minutes because the speedstep kernel is not working, check this forum

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=137666

The P-states need to be manually inserted, it tried and it worked, but only at 1197 and 1596 clocks, the battery lasted about an hour and a half.

I don't know how to fix the sound, no headphones or microphone input , i didn't try other kexts

As for the wifi drivers here is the main discussion forum http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84072

Haven't found a way to playback 1080p mkv in fullframes, although it does play some 720p's

PS When it restarts from sleep mode, it acts as if you constantly hit keyboard 7

when only the display goes to sleep it is OK, no processor extraload

Hi,

thank you to alyosa for this great job!!!

I have now managed to get 10.5.5 runing on my GX700 with 2 cores That's great and it's realy fast and stable now

I have no problem when it comes back from sleep.

In a previous install (without 2 cores) I had the headphones working, so the ones who needs them should try some other driver specially the ones on iDeneb "ALC889" or the one patch by Tagura

I have a request about the 2 cores, I type cpus=2 at boot after the F8 flag.

But I would like to know what to do to keep the 2 cpus activated without need to type it at each boot

I have a request about the 2 cores, I type cpus=2 at boot after the F8 flag.

But I would like to know what to do to keep the 2 cpus activated without need to type it at each boot

You have to edit the com.apple.boot.plist located in /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/ and remove the folowing lines:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>CPUS=1</string>

save it on the desktop, replace it and reboot.

Does anybody can clear which bootloader and kernel most usable for GX700 (from Ideneb 1.3 distro)?

Do not select any kernel, just the ACPI patch, ICH fix, Powermanager fix and CPUS=1 - fix

Do I need to make some modification after Ideneb installation ? For my LG R700 (GX700 powered) laptop

only one core working.

Yes, you need to install the DSDT patcher and the voodoo kernel, read the first page

In a previous install (without 2 cores) I had the headphones working, so the ones who needs them should try some other driver specially the ones on iDeneb "ALC889" or the one patch by Tagura

Can you please paste a link, is it Taruga or Tagura?

EDIT: i've tried Taruga's HDA Patch 1.20, sound works in headphones but you manually have to select it in SYSTEM PREFERENCES/SOUND/OUTPUT, anybody knows a way to automaticaly do it?