• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

s2n117

s2n117

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hello Aquamac and every body thank you for the great work.
is this

http://www.geeks.com...1...&cpc=VCDbsc

like the original 8800gt it looks like it so brought one to try.

EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3 PCI Express (PCIe) Dual DVI Video Card w/TV-Out Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
s2n117,

Yes that looks like the original type of 8800 GT.

Georgio,

As I don't have a 8800 GTS it is unlikely to happen from me.

Booim,

The artifacts are no doubt caused by a slight mismatch between your card and my rom that is from point of view. I suspect it is a memory register mismatch. I will take a look.

Booim, I took a look at your rom, you could try this:

http://rapidshare.co...oim3700.rom.zip

bladesreloaded

bladesreloaded

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hey guys!

nice to see some many people flashing cards here!!

I have a very nice fully updated os x setup ...and now i think i want to flash my card to get max performance in maya or other cs4 apps..if that works!!

i read the posts and have not found one person with absolutely no problems.. i own a XFX Geforce 8800GT 512 DDR alpha dog edition and its got the zalman cooler on top of it..

can anyone please tell me how i go about flashing this card to a FX3700...because that would be so awesome!!

anyone confirm it works on the card i have?

Thanks again!!

Keep hacking, keep flashing!

cMm

cMm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hello Aquamac
My question is : Is it possible to hack the gtx 200 series to Quadro ?
Thanks.

PS. Is there actually a card that can be conver or flash to nvidia quadro 5800 ?

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
bladesreloaded,

Instructions on flashing cards is here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.s15515867...512cardrom.html

cMn,

I have had a brief look at this but at the moment I would say no. To successfully flash a card, the first 3 numbers of the device id must be identical as in the GeForce 8800 GT (0611) and Quadro FX 3700 (061a) only the last digit is different. The GTX 280 and GTX 285 with device id's of 05e1 and 05e3 cannot be converted to the Quadro FX 5800 (05fd). There must be some hardware difference on the board - possibly a series of resistors that define the id. This is pure speculation as I have never seen a real 200 series Quadro.

s2n117

s2n117

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
512-P3-N802-A1
e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
Part Number 512-P3-N802-A1
Core Clock Speed 650MHz
Processing Cores 112
Memory Clock Speed 1900MHz
Memory Bandwidth 60.8GB/sec
Shader Clock Speed 1620MHz
Bus PCI-E 2.0
Interface DVI-I, DVI-I, HDTV-7
Product Warranty Limited Lifetime warranty upon registration
Posted Image

jdazzle34

jdazzle34

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
aqua-mac, thanks for all the help and documentation on this.

i've flashed my MSI 9800GT OC to a 3700, and after installing the GFX string in Leopard, everything seems to be working swimmingly. I didn't run any benches, but everything seemed to be working properly. So i rebooted my system and let it boot in to windows (XP 64-bit) so i could grab the quadro drivers. got all those installed, and as soon as i got the drivers and tried to up the resolution on my display, I lost signal over DVI. I tried a lot of different things, but when i swapped out for a VGA cable (plugged in to the same DVI port through an adapter) i got picture back. So i can only get picture in windows over VGA with the card flashed as a quadro.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this problem or if anyone had any ideas. I'm amazed that it seems to work flawlessly on my hackintosh partition, but it's all screwy in windows. I'm starting to think it might just be bad XP x64 drivers, but i don't really feel like installing a new OS to test that theory. Any ides would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

AndreaGalileo

AndreaGalileo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi. My Asus 8800GT performs terribly in Snow Leopard. I'm using EFI strings. What is the best way the get the best performance out of my card? Thanks a lot!

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
When you say, it performs terribly, do you have Quartz Extreme and Core Image enabled? Can you change resolutions?

ddogg777

ddogg777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hi Aqua-mac, I am jealous of your Macpro4,1. That looks amazing!
I stumbled across your post because I was searching to see if my Zotac 1gb 8800gt is the reason why my hackpro won't sleep. I am currently using SL with Cham 2RC3 but I can never get it to sleep, even with boot.plist strings. Supposedly everyone and there dog is able to get Gigabyte boards to sleep (some with Sleepenabler.kext) but not me. Did you ever experience anything like this before you flashed the card?

ozdavo

ozdavo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

aqua-mac, thanks for all the help and documentation on this.

i've flashed my MSI 9800GT OC to a 3700, and after installing the GFX string in Leopard, everything seems to be working swimmingly. I didn't run any benches, but everything seemed to be working properly. So i rebooted my system and let it boot in to windows (XP 64-bit) so i could grab the quadro drivers. got all those installed, and as soon as i got the drivers and tried to up the resolution on my display, I lost signal over DVI. I tried a lot of different things, but when i swapped out for a VGA cable (plugged in to the same DVI port through an adapter) i got picture back. So i can only get picture in windows over VGA with the card flashed as a quadro.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this problem or if anyone had any ideas. I'm amazed that it seems to work flawlessly on my hackintosh partition, but it's all screwy in windows. I'm starting to think it might just be bad XP x64 drivers, but i don't really feel like installing a new OS to test that theory. Any ides would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

jdazzle34, what rom file did you use for the 9800gt? Did you use one of aqua-mac's or another?
Can I get a copy?
Thanks

Jogii

Jogii

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Dear Members!,

I am facing very strange problem with my 8800GT.

Sometime when I scroll big content page in any browser like (Safari, Firefox, Opera) the screen blinks 1 to 2 time and then system hangs. The problem only occurred with 8800GT display card.

I have another system with 7600LE and that work fine.

--------------
Jogi
http://www.techbabu.com

s2n117

s2n117

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi everry body I tried that evga card from geeks.com and it seams to of went good had to press y
three times the machine booted nicely and i loaded some quatro fx drivers from nvidia and that went smooth and the machine rebooted. the log on was full res but i had no icons no program manager
and no adminivstrative previliges. how do you get drivers for xp pro 32, vista 64, mac osx86 10.5.6
and up leo4allv3 10.5.2 i have been looking and fond nothing. please help.

s2n117

s2n117

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yeaa the card works with the real nvidia drivers in xp thank you Aqua-mac, I want to grow up to be like you.
I think I still need kext for Osx86 I never see Quadro Fx 3700 in none of the releases. I would like to use iatkos 5 how
should i do this PS. i am not to good with the terminal.

Mike2732

Mike2732

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hey aqua-mac, I have a nVidia Quadro FX 570m, the total VRAM is not detected and QE/CI is not supported in mac. The 570m uses the exact same GPU (G84) as the nVidia GeForce 8600m which is in MacBook Pro's, would it be possible to flash a Quadro FX 570m to a GeForce 8600m?

Let me know if you need my graphics card rom or something else to answer my question.

Thanks!
Mike

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
hello aqua, i flashed succesfully my 8800GT to 3700
this is what i get:

hipset Model: Quadro FX 3700
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x061a
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - NVIDIA.ROM
Displays:
Philips 190X:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

I couldn't get it to work with EFI Strings (nor yours or mine), so now it works with chameleon's boot:GraphicsEnabler=Yes option
Didnt try dsdt adding, cause i get QE/CI with boot method so it's ok

Thing is that i see no difference, tried a lot of benchmarks and the results are the same as with 8800GT before
hmmm are u sure that quadro's drivers have better support than 8800GT's?

of course i'll test more and i'll decide if i go back or keep it Quadro
thanks for your work :)

EDIT: After some hours i left the monitor on power management: Display off , when i returned the screen was only "noise" like old TV!
Posted Image
:)
i had to reboot, but i flashed back to 8800GT (a 64EFI rom)

Steven185

Steven185

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there aqua. I would like to know what's the exact method you're using to change one card's bios from 9800GT to the FX3700 equivalent. Obviously changing the ID number(s) alone does not work (I've tried it). Do you also mess with timings, what about fan speeds (mine is stuck at 100% when I tried to use one of your bios).

No matter what I tried I can't change *my* 9800GT's bios to FX3700 equivalents, only your bios work but since they are of different models they have many bugs in my system (recognize half the VRAM, full fan speed, only windows recognizes the card, etc, etc).

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Steven 185,

If you have a look at the roms in my download, you can see the code that I changed and I got this code from an actual Quadro FX 3700 (compare with Hexedit). It would be much more difficult to change a 9800 GT as the chip is slightly different to the Quadro's. I daresay I could do it if I had a card, but there is a certain amount of trial and error involved. The advantage of the Quadro drivers is only in a few programs such as Maya etc.

Mike2732,

What is the device id of your card? The card can only be softstrapped if the last digits are different. The first 3 digits must be the same. Also if your card has a similar device id then it should be able to be got working without flashing.

profiene

profiene

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
aqua-mac,

Great stuff! I've got an FX3700 from an unused PC workstation that I'd like to run in my MacPro3,1 and I'm not quite sure what needs to be done for OSX to recognize it. I recently upgraded to SL, and I've got Win7 x64 running in BootCamp. When I swapped my existing 88000GT for the FX3700 card, the machine will boot just fine into Win7, but when I hold down Option to try to boot into OSX, the monitor just stays black. I tried parsing through your instructions and the many posts here, but couldn't quite figure out what needs to be done to get OSX to see the card. I would be extremely grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks, -Profiene

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Hi profiene,

To put a card like that in a real mac, you will have to put it in slot 2 and leave your mac card in slot 1. Your PC card lacks the EFI firmware to boot your mac on it's own. If you connect your monitor to it, you won't get a picture untill you get to the desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy