8800 GT to Quadro FX 3700

aqua-mac

127 posts in this topic

@JohnnyRoy:

The softmod bios I used was built by Aquamac, he's the genius behind this successful softmod...

Yea, I had read his post about modding his 8800GT BIOS and was very impressed. I tried to contact him via the forum before I posted but his mailbox was full. I will try and contact him via his web site. I would be happy to share anything that I do back with the community. Thanks,

~jr

It's been almost a month now using this softmod in production and it really really works, no crash whatsoever and Maya runs soooo smoothly than ever before....

Using lots of image plane in Maya on every camera view doesn't slows down anymore...

I wish I can say that about OSX :blink: (.

Because this softmod has a huge performance benefits only in Windows, I'm back using Windows version of Maya 2009 x64. I thought the OSX version of Maya was better compare to Windows, until this softmod.

Anyway, more good things came with this softmod. It also give an almost realtime preview in high-res over 3k image filtered with Tinder T_rays (one of the most computational intensive filter I've got on Nuke). On the original 8800GT, it took a few seconds to show the preview even when using low-res image (around 1k).

I think I will try to find a second 8800GT just for safe keeping. Unless Aquamac or anyone else got updated softmod bios on the GT2xx or better yet, the upcoming Fermi combine with the AO enabled quadro driver...

I need an 8800GT installer package for OS X 10.5.6. I know theres one out there somewhere because, if any of you have heard of Fox on youtube he had the 8800GT and he told me that he used an installer package to get it to work.

So if any of you know where to find it please let me know.

@laxattack:

Congrats dude.... Which rom did you use and what is the brand of your card?

@pachrick:

Based on my experience, there's no need for an installer to make 8800GT works in 10.5.6. Just use one of these methods in com.apple.Boot.plist

1. GraphicsEnabler (you need Chameleon + PC EFI 10.5 or later)

2. device-properties (you need gfxutil and a 8800GT in.plist).

For more detail info, just visit Aquamac's forum for a great tutorial on how to make your 8800GT works in hacintosh. This site also has all the resources needed to make it works.

ok need a little help here, So i downloaded your roms. Next i changed the clockspeeds etc to the appropriate speeds. I also changed the id, sub etc. Is there anything more i need to do? I went ahead with the flash and everything looked good. recognized as quadro and all. But as soon as i do anything in maya or games etc, everything crashes.

Im probably thinking to simple here. Can anyone give me directions from here please??

... But as soon as i do anything in maya or games etc, everything crashes.

nacallik,

it may happen the same thing like what happen to my card.Your card uses one timingset when Geforce and another when Quadro.

The timings that are used when quadro are too tight and have to be modified whith the ones your card uses when Geforce.

Do one test, with the quadro rom, open nibitor and in the main tab go to Tools/Read Bios/Select device, select your card, hit ok and again go to Tools/Read Bios/Read into Nibitor.Then go to Bootup Clocks(main page, down),open and hit Autoselect, you'll get "your timingset id no..."and check Core/Shader/Memory to be 400/800/400.Remember the timingset which your card uses when quadro, then reflash the original rom, install the forceware drivers and open Nibitor again.Do the same thing in Bootup Clocks and see if the card uses another timingset.If it uses another one(for example quadro uses timingset 2 and geforce timingset 1), here is the key - you'll have to modify the timingset which quadro uses, accordingly to the timingset which geforce uses.

Open 2 instances of Nibitor, left, one with geforce.rom, right with quadro.rom.secet in both Timings/the timigset every card uses and modify the detailed timings of quadro's rom with these of geforce rom and when finish, hit ok.(do not forget to select the timingset which your card uses when geforce and when quadro)

timingsr.jpg

when you'll finish to modify, and before saving the rom with ajustments, close geforce's Nibitor instance and in the quadro instance go to Adv. Info, hit rescan bios, you'll see that the green dot (Integrity) will become yellow.You'll need to adjust the new calculated checksum of the bios.

Go to Tools/Hex View and in the hex editor that will open on the right, scroll down on the last line and look at the last two digits, they corespond with the actual checksum, but you'll have to modify them with the new calculated checksum.Look here:

checksum.jpg

Then go to File/Save Bios.Reflash the new rom with timing modifications, reinstall quadro/geforce drivers and download OCCT which is a stability testing program.Extract it and run first GPU:OCCT with "error check" ticked for 15 min and look for errors and videocard temp.If it fails and you get errors, stop it and run GPU:MEMTEST pass:10 and again, look for errors.If your card runs at stock clocks and you still get errors, then you'll have maybe to downclock memory(for unknown reasons, this what's happen to my 8800GT@Quadro FX 3700).

Aquamac was so kind and made a custom rom after my original one and still have this problem.Maybe I'll have to write to Mavke at http://www.mvktech.net to beg him some help to make Nibitor use the same timingset when OS recognize the ex Geforce as Quadro.

WOW, huge post, I hope this will help your problem. :)

ahh f**k this. In a couple of days im going to go back to 32bits i think.. this digital signed drivers issue with 64 is too annoying. And i only have 3gb ram anyways, so then ill go through with the instructions u gave me. so climbnonstop, i know you did a lot of work to help me, i really appreciate that thx. anyways so i guess ill post in a couple of days

If i save my current bios using nvflash, then open with nbitor and check the timings. Will that work?

Yes, it will work, if it doesn,t work in Win7 do it on dos, type nvflash -b xxx.rom

after that, open a sequence of virtual Win XP in Win 7 and do the comparsion/changing of the timings in Nibitor there :).You'll avoid annoing errors this way.

Stay on x64, with 3 GB ram plus 512 Mb videocard, you're close to the limit of 4 GB.And apps will work better.What apps do you use?

Do you have the last Nibitor version (5.03)?

For getting rid of annoing problems with unsigned video drivers, install Driver Ready Plus http://data.citadelindustries.net/setupreadydriverplus.exe

Look at Booim's post in page 4. :)

Yes, it will work, if it doesn,t work in Win7 do it on dos, type nvflash -b xxx.rom

after that, open a sequence of virtual Win XP in Win 7 and do the comparsion/changing of the timings in Nibitor there :) .You'll avoid annoing errors this way.

Stay on x64, with 3 GB ram plus 512 Mb videocard, you're close to the limit of 4 GB.And apps will work better.What apps do you use?

Do you have the last Nibitor version (5.03)?

For getting rid of annoing problems with unsigned video drivers, install Driver Ready Plus http://data.citadelindustries.net/setupreadydriverplus.exe

Look at Booim's post in page 4. :)

yes i have nibitor 5.3, i thought virtual xp (vmware) couldnt find the actual device, ill give it a shot.

yes i have nibitor 5.3, i thought virtual xp (vmware) couldnt find the actual device, ill give it a shot.

Not Wmvare ,Windows Virtual PC, XP Mode, buildt in Win7.See here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Even so, it has no graphic acceleration, but with the two.roms, you'll be able to change timings of the quadro rom after the geforce one.If you don't wanna mess with the instalation of Virtual PC (actually), send me the two roms and i'll modify them for you, no problem.You have to know at least the quadro rom under Win7 what timingset uses.It's simple, if quadro uses timingset 1(you could verify this), the chances are 99% that geforce will use timingset 2.Send the roms to me, or tell me what rom did you use.The Aquamac q3700 512 rom ?

Regards :(

Not Wmvare ,Windows Virtual PC, XP Mode, buildt in Win7.See here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Even so, it has no graphic acceleration, but with the two.roms, you'll be able to change timings of the quadro rom after the geforce one.If you don't wanna mess with the instalation of Virtual PC (actually), send me the two roms and i'll modify them for you, no problem.You have to know at least the quadro rom under Win7 what timingset uses.It's simple, if quadro uses timingset 1(you could verify this), the chances are 99% that geforce will use timingset 2.Send the roms to me, or tell me what rom did you use.The Aquamac q3700 512 rom ?

Regards :)

Yes im using aquamac nvidiaq3700 512 rom. Ok these are both the roms, my org and aquas,

http://rapidshare.com/files/337734467/Quadro.rar

thanks!

Yes im using aquamac nvidiaq3700 512 rom. Ok these are both the roms, my org and aquas,

http://rapidshare.com/files/337734467/Quadro.rar

thanks!

WOW, what a coincidence, we have the same videocard, now I know what problems do you have!!!

The exact card is GV-NX88T512HP REV.1.0.That one that came with "Neverwinter Nights2"?

gigabyte8800gtgvnx88t51.jpg

This one?

If so, i'll send my bios directly ;)

WOW, what a coincidence, we have the same videocard, now I know what problems do you have!!!

The exact card is GV-NX88T512HP REV.1.0.That one that came with "Neverwinter Nights2"?

gigabyte8800gtgvnx88t51.jpg

This one?

If so, i'll send my bios directly ;)

HAHAHA! yes exactly that one! :D what a coincidence indeed XD ok send your bios please :)

I need an 8800GT installer package for OS X 10.5.6. I know theres one out there somewhere because, if any of you have heard of Fox on youtube he had the 8800GT and he told me that he used an installer package to get it to work.

So if any of you know where to find it please let me know.

Its one of the Nvidia inject kexts

Its one of the Nvidia inject kexts

I don't know about u guys. But I had a bad experience using nvidia injectors in Hacintosh. I use Maya daily and those injector are not very friendly to Maya when I activated the texture to display in any viewport, especially if the scene has a few big textures or a lot of medium size texture. It crashed Maya...

So I've been using the device-id method for over a year without any issue and recently I've been using the GraphicsEnabler due to the Quadro softmod which fail to have QE/CI when I use the device-id method.

Guys,

I successfully flashed my 8800gt into a q3700 using aquamac's rom. Everything works in Linux, Mac, Win. However, some applications that need harware overlay don't work.

Is hardware overlay a Quadro only kind of thing, regardless of flashing the bios??

Is hardware overlay a Quadro only kind of thing, regardless of flashing the bios??

Have you tried changing the profile? Based on my experience, the "safe mode" profile that should work with most applications that crash on this softmod is by changing to Autodesk Motion Builder profile.

Some of the application I used that utilized hardware overlay is Maya and Mudbox, which neither gave me any kind problem with this softmod. And yes, I think Hardware Overlay is one of quadro pro features which can be utilized by this softmod as I mentioned earlier.

Hey there everyone. i've spent the last week or two doing SO much reading into running a snow leopard on my system and have it almost ready to consider 'finished' - I've got it installed with vmware, i've got sound, networks, shared folders, programs installed and just about everything, APART from my Nvidia 8800gts 640meg graphics card.

So far, and I've tried a whole heap of different things, it only appears like this;

http://f.imagehost.org/0086/Untitled-2.jpg

which I know isn't correct. After reading up over thousands of redundant and irrelevant posts, I've managed to deduce that it IS possible to get my 8800gts to show up as installed, along with opengl + all the benefits (which I need as the only reason I'm installing this is to learn final cut pro + avid) and to do that I need NVEnabler.Kext & NVEnabler64.kext.

So, that trail has led me here and boy, what a long and confusing thread it is!

I've downloaded both the ktexts, reinstalled everything so that I have a completely fresh snow leopard installation. What I'm hoping is that someone is kind enough to supply a guide on how to install this 'BFG 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 DVI PCI-E' Graphics Card so that it works correctly within the system.

To find out more about the card : http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88640gtsoc2e.aspx

thank you so much. Please help me end this nightmare and start enjoying my 'mac'