Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

GREAT JOB....

I DID IT...

runs GOOD... finally RETAILLLLL !!! :-)

one problem that i have and i hope u can help me....

i have this:

Acer Aspire 5920G-302G25MN - Core 2 Duo T7300 2 GHz - 15.4" TFT

with

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - 512 MB

can u make me a kext/driver/modification...whatever...to make my graphic-card work?

cause the nvidia-driver i have from kalyway/iatkos dont seem to work with retail.

any help?

:(

btw:

what about update to 10.5.5? shall we JUST update, or is anything "special" required

like when working with kalyway/iatkos?

GREAT JOB....

I DID IT...

runs GOOD... finally RETAILLLLL !!! :-)

one problem that i have and i hope u can help me....

i have this:

Acer Aspire 5920G-302G25MN - Core 2 Duo T7300 2 GHz - 15.4" TFT

with

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - 512 MB

can u make me a kext/driver/modification...whatever...to make my graphic-card work?

cause the nvidia-driver i have from kalyway/iatkos dont seem to work with retail.

any help?

:rolleyes:

btw:

what about update to 10.5.5? shall we JUST update, or is anything "special" required

like when working with kalyway/iatkos?

Why don't you follow my guide, I explain EVERYTHING you are asking.

If you reach to the end of my guide you'll get EVERYTHING you need.

Anyway you probably ruined everything by installing the driver which comes with iatkos/kalyway.

Just stick to my guide.

Why don't you follow my guide, I explain EVERYTHING you are asking.

If you reach to the end of my guide you'll get EVERYTHING you need.

Anyway you probably ruined everything by installing the driver which comes with iatkos/kalyway.

Just stick to my guide.

i DID follow your guide....

but we both seem to have different graphic-card...

and i didn't ruin it, cause i removed the nvidia-kalyway/iatkos-driver after i saw they don't work.

i just installed NVinject_0.2.1_512MB.pkg ... nothing else....and now i removed it again.

shall i use your graphic-card-driver? which u said is gforce 8600 GS ???

i wanted to know if u have a hint for me to get it work.

going to try 9f23installer.pkg from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20 now...

hope it works.

Again, the drive in my package is not specific to my 8600 gs, it should work on yours also.

About the drivers you are talking about it's probably they will overwrite some frameworks...so that's the reason you may have ruined the installation.

Also, if you had followed the guide you would had know the graphic card WON'T WORK until you update to 10.5.5, so please, JUST FOLLOW THE GUIDE EXACTLY!!!! lol

Do not improvise.

Ok so I worked out what my problem was :)

The orignal MAC OS X upgrade CD doesnt work.

I downloaded the new 10.5.4 DVD and got a little futher along the cd boots as needed how ever it doesnt have the GUID partition scheme option in the disk utility that you mentioned :(

So again I am really close to giving up. Any suggestions. I can take the hard drive out and make it a usb drive if that helps? Other wise I have to find a 10.5.0 download?

Just click options, when you are partitioning. And select GUID partition scheme (the one at the top of the list).

If you use 10.5.4 is probable you need to boot with -x until you install de video driver injector.

Hi Vood

Got a bit further. OSX is installed now, but

I cant get past the step below.

- In case you can't pass the grey loading screen try the -f switch in Darwin bootloader (press F8 when the computer is booting)

Is there away to get the wifi working without the 5.5 update? To be honest I would be happy for the wifi to work the video I can get working later.

I tried adding the kexts files but they didnt seem to work?

Also I am using 10.5.4 and bios v1.3813 i didnt use the one from your set-up

Cheers

Hi Vood

Got a bit further. OSX is installed now, but

I cant get past the step below.

- In case you can't pass the grey loading screen try the -f switch in Darwin bootloader (press F8 when the computer is booting)

Is there away to get the wifi working without the 5.5 update? To be honest I would be happy for the wifi to work the video I can get working later.

I tried adding the kexts files but they didnt seem to work?

Also I am using 10.5.4 and bios v1.3813 i didnt use the one from your set-up

Cheers

I really, REALLY can't understand why you keep not following the steps in the guide. THE BIOS IS ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!

Please, don't ask questions if you are improvising. Just stick to the guide.

lol ok mate look dont worry, you sound like you getting touchy about it. I did follow your guide to the tee. and it doesnt work. I tried to explain that to you that I get to here.

after the 10.5.5 update it doesnt boot.

Anyway I needed some posts to make you understand you had to follow the guide.

On the other hand...I would be a lot more helpful telling something like: "I got this message in the screen in verbose mode" rather than "I can't pass this step".

I've installed several 5920g series laptops using these steps, so I know it's working. You probaly made something wrong without noticing it, skipped something or just you introduced too many differencies (10.5.4, and GT card). All I can do is giving my word this guide is working since... I'm writing right now in Leopard 10.5.5 on the same laptop.

Wifi will work as soon as you have the proper pci fixed kexts working and a supported (check the pciid) broadcom minipcie card already working in Windows (if you turn off the card in Windows or have never been turned on in Windows, the card gets recognized in osx but no signal is received)

HELLO VooD,

i stuck to your guide, 100%

the 1st time i installed: doing everything like you said...but forgot to flash bios.

thats why i was only able to install it on external usb-drive, and then i copied from

usb to hd with the help of carbon-copy (ccc).

yesterday:

i formatted my hd, installed windows, flashed bios...tried to follow your guide 100%...

but suddenly since i flashed,

the retail-dvd isn't recognized anymore while booting from your boot-cd.

but booting from internal hd and external usb-drive worked...

i booted from usb, and used carbone-copy-cloner (ccc) again, to put it on my hd.

viola it works...

everything is working again...but...

i cannot install the Chamaleon_V_1.0.11 ... always getting the message: "cannot install ...initilaization failed blah blah"

cannot install Chamaleon_V_1.0.11 either on my hd-version or on my usb-version.

so i am not able to make my hd bootable.

do u have any way out.

AHCI mode and F12 boot selector is turned on

what about the rest??? can u give me your exact bios-option (for the other options)

i can boot while using your cd (cdboot.iso in "\CD Boot-132")

can u give me a hint to put that cdboot.iso on a usb-disk..and make hat usb-disk bootable?

or do u have another idea???

i really DID stuck to your guide.

hope u can help me.

thx

CD-Boot 132 can be put on a usb pendrive (there are a couple of guides in insanelymac about it), but there's a very important limitation. With cdboot-132 on a pendrive you can boot an already installed system, but you can't boot from dvd, so you really have to still use the cd to install.

On the other hand you say you were not able to install to the internal driver before flashing...ok, flashing the bios has nothing to do with not being able to install to the internal hd, in fact I always was able to install to the internal hd, with both bios, the 1rst one and this latest one. The bios update is only needed in order to make the system boot without "cpus=1" flag (and so both cores work).

The fact your retail dvd is no longer recognized is very strange..is no longer recognized at all, or are stuck at the grey screen?

The issue with chamaleon sounds to me as a bad partitioned hard drive. Are you sure you did completly erase the hard disk?(including the hidden partition acer installs). Make sure you deleted everything and made just one partition in GUID mode. (I don't know if Disk Utility is able to show hiddens partitions, so just try gparted live cd)

About the rest of the options in the BIOS I think the only ones really important are ACHI , and the boot selector, but I also use to keep disable that one about the recovery menu.

Vood..YOU ARE THE MAN :rolleyes:

i have everything working now, like u promised...

my reatail-dvd was a little scratched, thats why it couldnt be recognized...

NOW everything is working

thx a lot

one thing:

my graphic card differs from yours (kext)

my gc is geforce 86000mGT 512

can u help me...modifying the kext, make a new kext, or something like that?

look

post-226604-1227874116_thumb.png

Vood..YOU ARE THE MAN :(

i have everything working now, like u promised...

my reatail-dvd was a little scratched, thats why it couldnt be recognized...

NOW everything is working

thx a lot

one thing:

my graphic card differs from yours (kext)

my gc is geforce 86000mGT 512

can u help me...modifying the kext, make a new kext, or something like that?

look

Why do you need a new kext? It seems everything is working properly. That kext I inclued is not really a driver but just an injector needed for the real drivers to activate, so you are already using the propers ones.

About the ram in the VGA, you'll need to edit the plist file inside the kext and set the correct info correctly. I don't know which string you have to change, nor if is possible to add more than 256mb in nvinjectgo.kext. Take a look at the various nvinject.kext with different memory size which nvinstaller includes and look for the part in the plist which specifies the size. Maybe you can apply that to my nvinjectgo.kext.

Why do you need a new kext? It seems everything is working properly. That kext I inclued is not really a driver but just an injector needed for the real drivers to activate, so you are already using the propers ones.

About the ram in the VGA, you'll need to edit the plist file inside the kext and set the correct info correctly. I don't know which string you have to change, nor if is possible to add more than 256mb in nvinjectgo.kext. Take a look at the various nvinject.kext with different memory size which nvinstaller includes and look for the part in the plist which specifies the size. Maybe you can apply that to my nvinjectgo.kext.

thx i will give it a try,

btw, do u recommend me to unistall/delete the NVinjectGo.kext before installing the new?

Hi. I'm having trouble getting the ethernet working on my 5920g. VendorID is correct compared to lspci (14e4,1693), and I have followed the guide that followed the driver, been trying everyhing I could throw at it :-)

I get the following error on boot: "AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start - mapping device memory failed"

Any suggestions on why I get this error?

(Using iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5)

All up and running now. I was draging the Kext folders and not the kext files into the kext helper (red face) newbie error ;)

The other thing you might want to add VooD is to add the keyboard kext when you add basic and video kext. I found after I rebooted I couldnt type on the keyboard so I had to reload everything again.

Also the wifi card works with 4311 but seems to stay switched off with 4324. Any ideas why that might be ? Thanks and sorry again for getting you frustrated. You should know tho I am very new to macs never owned one or even used one before so. :)

This install works and has my thumbs up.

oh, i totally forgot...

since the Intel 4965AGN WLAN is not working yet, i am working with several USB-sticks

(for instance D-Link DWL-G122, Huawei-usb-stick) ... they are all working great.

But whenever i use a usb-harddisk/storage and unplug this, my usb-internet-stick gets ejected too and my internet-connection gets disconnected.

can u help?

i have this problem since the beginning (all time) of working with kalyway/iatkos/etc and now retail

Hi. I'm having trouble getting the ethernet working on my 5920g. VendorID is correct compared to lspci (14e4,1693), and I have followed the guide that followed the driver, been trying everyhing I could throw at it :-)

I get the following error on boot: "AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start - mapping device memory failed"

Any suggestions on why I get this error?

(Using iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5)

All I make to get the Ethernet working is throwing the kext into /System/Library/Extensions with Kext helper, and then following the third step:

3) (thanks Pocopico)

There is a folder called Start_Promisc within the archive, copy it in /Library/StartupItems then open the file

start_promisc you can find into the folder with TextEdit, changing the two variables at the top INTF and KEXTPATH

to match your setup. save it.

from a terminal window type:

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/StartupItems/Start_Promisc

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/StartupItems/Start_Promisc

Anyway, just follow the complete guide. After many many absurd problems I discoverd most of the "distros" has several flaws and incorrect configurations. They try to be the most compatible they can, but at the same time doing that uses to break some parts of the system. So, try what I told you, and if it is still not working, just follow my guide to install a vanilla system.

All up and running now. I was draging the Kext folders and not the kext files into the kext helper (red face) newbie error :D

The other thing you might want to add VooD is to add the keyboard kext when you add basic and video kext. I found after I rebooted I couldnt type on the keyboard so I had to reload everything again.

Also the wifi card works with 4311 but seems to stay switched off with 4324. Any ideas why that might be ? Thanks and sorry again for getting you frustrated. You should know tho I am very new to macs never owned one or even used one before so. :D

This install works and has my thumbs up.

You are supposed to use a usb keyboard and mouse in order to complete the first steps, so is not really an important change. About the card, have you opened the info.plist file from the wifi driver and searched for your pciid? (maybe is not included). On the other hand, in my case, in order to have wifi working I have to turn on the wifi card at least once in windows, or else the card gets detected but radio is never turned on. Then as long as I don't turn it off again in Windows the card continues working properly.

VooD...

YOU ARE THE MAN. :D

Worked 24h with the system...not even 1 crash...very stable..

and i did a lot.. internet, Adobe PS3 etc...everything working great.

one thing...u got the mike working?

Never tested (I think I already answered this before). Is not something vital to me, so I never took the effort to look into the issue. Anyway, I hope you didn't miss the fact there are TWO different audio drivers for this laptop...and the one you are showing in the screenshot only gives you stereo output. Just follow the tutorial to install and use the audioswitcher script I did. The other driver gives you audio inputs (but no speakers output, just line outputs).

whenever i use a usb-harddisk/storage and unplug this, my usb-internet-stick gets ejected too and my internet-connection gets disconnected.

I have no idea about that. But you might want to try this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129932 maybe helps with your problem. I think you have to delete AppleUSBEHCI.kext inside /S/L/E/iousbfamily.kext/plugins/ and throw the new pcgenusbehci.kext with the correct permissions. Ask in that post for more help.

hello VooD,

since 2 days i am trying to get my geforce VRAM (Total): from 256 MB to 512 MB,

i looked at a lot kexts...

but i have no luck

1) i get your 256MB + full support

OOOOR

2) 512MB BUT without Q/E

could u help me ?

thx a lot buddy

post-226604-1228234314_thumb.png

hello VooD,

since 2 days i am trying to get my geforce VRAM (Total): from 256 MB to 512 MB,

i looked at a lot kexts...

but i have no luck

1) i get your 256MB + full support

OOOOR

2) 512MB BUT without Q/E

could u help me ?

thx a lot buddy

Compare the info.plist from both nvinjectgo.kext and look for something in the one which detects 512mb about ram size.

You could also ask at nvinject.free.fr that's the home site for nvinjectgo