GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

119 posts in this topic

About the EP45-UD3P, I noticed that I can't wake it up from sleep after a whole night. It won't work, but it does for a shorter period of time, even two or three hours.

And when using reset button, it reboots every two seconds until you shut the power supply button down.

How did you get the EP45-UD3P to support sleeping? Mine does not wake up once gone to sleep.

Thought I would check in after a prolonged absence

10.5.7 working perfect on UD3P (except for builtin LAN, see comments below), i'm 100% sold on Mac and will be moving to a mac mini in the near future

All kexts in /Extra/Extensions, 100% Retail Installation

Current configuration:

UD3P

8800GT via EFI String

Netgear FA311 Ethernet

DBT120 USB Bluetooth

Wireless Mighty Mouse

Wireless Mac Aluminum Keyboard

2x500 WD via Raid 0

Chameleon v2

Comments

S3 Sleep working w/resume from Bluetooth keyboard/mouse

Full LAN Support (including Bonjour) - Built in works most of the time but requires RealtekR1000.kext for Bonjour

10.5.7_Kexts_Final.zip

How did you get the EP45-UD3P to support sleeping? Mine does not wake up once gone to sleep.

Maybe you need updating the Bios to F9. Anyway, you can follow weaksauce's guide and it should work—follow the link in my signature.

Does anyone run this board using Software RAID? I followed aquamac's guide and when booting from the RAID drive, it will kernel panic with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, and if I remove that kext, it just hangs. If I boot up from the original OSX install that I copied with super duper (single drive), it works fine, but RAID is a no go. If anyone has success with this, please share your details, as my friend has an X38 Gigabyte board and has no problem running software RAID. Additional note: I have tried Chameleon 1.0 and 2.0, as well as EFI V10 for the RAID.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in giving this a shot.

I'm going to be reloading my machine shortly when I pick up the Win7 RTM next Thursday and it'd be nice to dual boot between OSx and Win7.

I have an OSx retail DVD from my 09 Mini.

How do these do with OC'ing? I have a Q6600 running at 3.2ghz on a EP45-UD3P with 2 Velociraptor's in RAID0, and a Dark Knight 1 gig 4870 card.

How tough is it to setup the dual boot? I found the guide earlier and will follow it. Should I just use Bootcamp to install Win7?

No, install OSX and Windows 7 on 2 different partitions, and preferably HDDs. If Chameleon is on the first one (i.e. sata 1, 0 being the optical drive), it will let you boot Windows 7 if you chose to do so, otherwise OSX will boot by default after 5 seconds.

Well they will have to be separate partitions then. I want them both to be in RAID0...am I going to run into an issue with RAID0?

The Intel RAID controller is a BIOS level on the Windows side meaning you do not need a driver, it reports to the BIOS as 1 device and handles its RAID pieces internally.

Not sure if the Mac RAID and the Intel RAID are going to play nice together.

I guess I can pick up a cheap Raptor 74 gig to run OSx on. You can find them for $75 on clearance at a few places.

All our data is stored on our server so all I want is a fast local drive.

Well that didn't work out too good...

I read the guide, set up the BIOS exactly as stated.

Un-raided my drives and moved them over to the Intel ports.

Start up with the disc, put in my 10.5.6 Leopard disk and boot up.

I get Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer...thats it. I can run the disk util and format the disc and all that but I get no further.

I have the F9 bios, not F8 but the guide said current or newer.

I set my clock rate to normal, no OC'ing but not going any further.

I tried -v and got no messages.

When I do get it working, how will RAID work?

Can I share an array between Win7 and OSx?

If not this will be for nothing, I'll have to use a separate box.

I'm not qualified to solve your RAID issues, sorry. Search for a tutorial (there are many of them) or if you have a few bucks left, buy an SSD or a decent hard drive (VRapter or the Seagate 2-platter 1TB 7200.12).

• 2 weeks later...

Eric-PTEK:

The only raid you will get is either software in OSX or by an add-in card. There are no drivers for OSX to be able to see the raid out of the intel chipsets.

My own issue with this board:

• I have the GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 only 1 newer firmware for this rev, and it fixes the TPM chip with bitlocker (windows encryption)
  • I installed from iPC 10.5.6 Distro (with USB kext, jmicron, IC10, Realtek1000) then updated from iDeneb updater to 10.5.8
  • Then went and got the 2900xt Running (two kext's)
  • Then everything was running just fine and proceeded to load software and transfer goodies over (I'm normally a mac user ;) the original 10.4.8 vmware image got me to get a 12in powerbook :D)
  • Then went to work out the final kinks, kernel panic on sleeping, audio, hang on reboot...
  • I ocasionally have to swap USB ports for mouse but my thumb drive is mounted? bizarre, only happened twice so far

So that is where I am now, I've only been able to fix the reboot issue. I've installed, and used kext's from various packs threads/HCL and I still cant figure out what is wrong... I'd like this to work 100%! I'd rather not reinstall/wipe if I can avoid it, but if I must, I must. I just jumped the gun and copied 50+ GB's of data!

So what should I do great wizards?

Haha! Not a terrible idea. Will our boards run fine? I believe I read somewhere another gigabyte board was more compatible on snow leopard.

Think I'll just live with the glitches till then... Copy everything to another partition it is ;)

Haha! Not a terrible idea. Will our boards run fine? I believe I read somewhere another gigabyte board was more compatible on snow leopard.

Think I'll just live with the glitches till then... Copy everything to another partition it is ;)

ummm which ?

ummm which ?

ひみつ〜〜〜〜

No actually was in the HCL list, but seems to have been edited out. They are really picky about waiting till release.

the UD3P only has a couple of kexts needed for full support. The bulk is done, audio is still needed I belive... I don't care about that much since it's horrible onboard anyways! Get better sound from a USB widget (I have first gen xi-fi USB, was platform independent!).

ひみつ〜〜〜〜

No actually was in the HCL list, but seems to have been edited out. They are really picky about waiting till release.

the UD3P only has a couple of kexts needed for full support. The bulk is done, audio is still needed I belive... I don't care about that much since it's horrible onboard anyways! Get better sound from a USB widget (I have first gen xi-fi USB, was platform independent!).

I agree , although I still like to use the internal card for my HDTV an my external firewire card to power my studio speakers.

Is 10.5.8 working fine for everybody?

• 3 weeks later...
Eric-PTEK:

The only raid you will get is either software in OSX or by an add-in card. There are no drivers for OSX to be able to see the raid out of the intel chipsets.

My own issue with this board:

• I have the GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 only 1 newer firmware for this rev, and it fixes the TPM chip with bitlocker (windows encryption)
  • I installed from iPC 10.5.6 Distro (with USB kext, jmicron, IC10, Realtek1000) then updated from iDeneb updater to 10.5.8
  • Then went and got the 2900xt Running (two kext's)
  • Then everything was running just fine and proceeded to load software and transfer goodies over (I'm normally a mac user :thumbsup_anim: the original 10.4.8 vmware image got me to get a 12in powerbook :D )
  • Then went to work out the final kinks, kernel panic on sleeping, audio, hang on reboot...
  • I ocasionally have to swap USB ports for mouse but my thumb drive is mounted? bizarre, only happened twice so far

So that is where I am now, I've only been able to fix the reboot issue. I've installed, and used kext's from various packs threads/HCL and I still cant figure out what is wrong... I'd like this to work 100%! I'd rather not reinstall/wipe if I can avoid it, but if I must, I must. I just jumped the gun and copied 50+ GB's of data!

So what should I do great wizards?

I have EP45-UD3P also. I have Rev 1.6 as you do. My bios is FB. I used Weaksauce12's UD3P kit on the mediafire site. I couldn't access the site Tomconn references. I think it's the same kit. This kit is referenced on OSX86 Wiki. The install is retail 10.5.6. The kit has the instructions in an RTF file. Weaksauce includes bios F8, probably because the board he used is 1.0. Everything works, sound, sleep, lan, screensaver, time machine, vmware, front row, netflix, etc. Weaksauce cautioned against sound and lan slowness. For some reason, I saw none of that. I just went with the insructions exactly as is. The install was crazy good, like the Dell Mini 9, sort of unbelievable. I decided to use a Mac keyboard and Mighty Mouse, out of functional precision. Way cool. Had to hook the mouse up direct, not in the keyboard, to wake from sleep, I think because UD3P looks for a keyboard with power on button, Mac keyboard doen't have that. Got to go. Hope this helps. I'd rather keep all the goodies than jack with 10.5.7, 10.5.8. I'll wait for Weaksauce's SL UD3P kit. Why screw around?

• 3 months later...
I have the board working 100%. To get audio working I used a patched AppleHDA.kext specificly 'alc885889_add2_AppleHDA'. You can find them here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&pid=857044

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry911892

Either one work (I tried both), I believe they are the same but didn't look into it. You just need to install the kext (remove the old one, copy the new one, repair permissions, etc etc etc) and then use EFI strings. Try just the kext and if that doesn't work add in the strings using EFI Studio.

Sound finally! Thanks so much, I installed with osx86 tools and reboot -v -f, and didn't need EFI strings.