GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

119 posts in this topic

I don't think Ethernet is working properly on a lot of hacks. Bonjour is very flaky, and filesharing and itunes sharing between hacks is up and down. I've read the R1000 driver improves things, but it didnt fix things for me. Internet seems to work fine and smb shares are fine

I don't think Ethernet is working properly on a lot of hacks. Bonjour is very flaky, and filesharing and itunes sharing between hacks is up and down. I've read the R1000 driver improves things, but it didnt fix things for me. Internet seems to work fine and smb shares are fine

Bonjour works great for me with the lext from psystar.com, i only have 10/100 switches in the house so I cannot test gigabit speeds...

I guess you can put them all in S/L/E, but if you do every time Apple changes something it will overwrite your customized kext. So with PC_EFI 9 and Chameleon 12 they will look for a Extensions.mkext in /Extra. Auzigog has a great blog on building out a system based on the GA-EP45-UD3P board (http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/). That talks to each one of the steps.

You can use PCWiz's tools, like the Mkext Tool (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=48) or the Universal Installer (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=48).

OK, I followed auzigog's instructions and used the Universal Installer to install the kexts (the ones you posted earlier), and my system runs great... sleep works, sound works etc. However the Uninstaller put all the kexts in S/L/E. How do you go about getting the extension.mkext in the /Extra folder and the kexts in /Extra/Extensions? I read the Uninstaller user guide and it still doesn't make sense to me (I know, I'm hopeless...). Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bonjour works great for me with the lext from psystar.com, i only have 10/100 switches in the house so I cannot test gigabit speeds...

I have a Gigabit router the speed of the transfers between the machines is great using it, the same as the built in Apple driver was really it just does not like working with Bonjour like the R1000 does.

I have a Gigabit router the speed of the transfers between the machines is great using it, the same as the built in Apple driver was really it just does not like working with Bonjour like the R1000 does.

What kind of speed are you seeing over gigabit between machines?

What kind of speed are you seeing over gigabit between machines?

Usually around 70mb/s on cat 5e cable if I connect to the one machine that is on an old cat 5 then I get 30-40mb/s which is a hell of lot better than the usual ~8mb/s for 100mb I was getting using my old router.

I guess you can put them all in S/L/E, but if you do every time Apple changes something it will overwrite your customized kext. So with PC_EFI 9 and Chameleon 12 they will look for a Extensions.mkext in /Extra. Auzigog has a great blog on building out a system based on the GA-EP45-UD3P board (http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/). That talks to each one of the steps.

You can use PCWiz's tools, like the Mkext Tool (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=48) or the Universal Installer (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=48).

Never mind my last post, I think I got it figured out... thanks again for the help!

Usually around 70mb/s on cat 5e cable if I connect to the one machine that is on an old cat 5 then I get 30-40mb/s which is a hell of lot better than the usual ~8mb/s for 100mb I was getting using my old router.

Hmmm...

From my Hack I get about 35 to 45 megs a sec to my fileserver.

But, if I use Vista I get 70 to 100 megs a sec (which I briefly installed on it recently just to test this).

My server is running Windows Home Server.

I would love to have the performance I was seeing under Vista with OS X to smb shares on my WHS box.

Hmmm...

From my Hack I get about 35 to 45 megs a sec to my fileserver.

But, if I use Vista I get 70 to 100 megs a sec (which I briefly installed on it recently just to test this).

My server is running Windows Home Server.

I would love to have the performance I was seeing under Vista with OS X to smb shares on my WHS box.

That does seem like a hell of a difference in performance between them. I can't tell you much about smb performance as the machine on the old cat 5 is the one running windows and it is at the other end of the house with no really good way to get a newer cable to it. The 70mb/s I get is using afp to connect between two hacks sometimes I will get a burst to about 80mb/s but most times it is just a rock solid 70mb/s. BTW what kind of CPU use do you see when transferring? I seem to get about a 30-40% load on all CPUs on mine.

That does seem like a hell of a difference in performance between them. I can't tell you much about smb performance as the machine on the old cat 5 is the one running windows and it is at the other end of the house with no really good way to get a newer cable to it. The 70mb/s I get is using afp to connect between two hacks sometimes I will get a burst to about 80mb/s but most times it is just a rock solid 70mb/s. BTW what kind of CPU use do you see when transferring? I seem to get about a 30-40% load on all CPUs on mine.

I see about 25 or 30 % cpu usage as well.

I guess it makes sense you are seeing higher numbers than I am if you are using AFP.

I see about 25 or 30 % cpu usage as well.

I guess it makes sense you are seeing higher numbers than I am if you are using AFP.

Good to know thought it was just my machine using that much CPU and you got me curious so I had to run a few tests. On my spare machine I have my old Debian install copying to it via ssh using scp I get 40mb/s turning on smb sharing on my Mac then copying to the Debian install from the Mac gets me 35mb/s when using Konqueror and then I installed the netatalk (Apple protocols for Debian/BSD... machines) package copying from my Mac to it using afp gets me a solid 85mb/s much better than connecting to it running OS X doing the same go figure eh...

Ok; after a few more tests it seems that something in the 10.5.6 combo breaks networking for me. I did a fresh install of 10.5.5 and bonjour works great (it does require the r1000 driver from psystar). I copied both the 10.5.5 IONetworking and R1000 driver over to me 10.5.6 and still no go with bonjour. any thoughts out there?

Ok; after a few more tests it seems that something in the 10.5.6 combo breaks networking for me. I did a fresh install of 10.5.5 and bonjour works great (it does require the r1000 driver from psystar). I copied both the 10.5.5 IONetworking and R1000 driver over to me 10.5.6 and still no go with bonjour. any thoughts out there?

Why IONetworking?

Here are the 13 I use (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112708&st=1480 Post #1490) credit goes to weaksauce12:

UD3P Package is Done!

Special thanks to bibendum for helping me with the Jmicron kexts. We narrowed it down to two: JmicronATA and LegacyJmicronATA. They are co-dependant on each other to enable the Jmicron SATA to work in AHCI mode on the UD3P. Also, you must use a special version of the Jmicron ATA kext, v1.0.0, which I have included in the Mkext bundle. Here's the download:

Basic install procedure - Leopard, 10.5.6, then the package. If you're install from the HDD, be sure to drag the "Copy to HDD" over to the new HDD because you'll need to install those two kexts with Kext Helper after booting up for the first time (they don't load properly if installed to SLE via HDD). Here's a basic overview of the 13 drivers:

General:

AppleDecrypt (bypass encryption)

AppleSMBIOSEFI (shows System Profiler info; must be in SLE)

IntelCPUCPMDisabler (disablers Intel CPU Power Management; Disabler doesn't work on this board)

RealtekR1000 (Ethernet driver; must be in SLE)

VoodooPower (Handles Shutdown & Restart, also adds Speedstepping to the CPU for power savings)

Audio:

HDAEnabler

LegacyHDAController

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

ICH10R SATA:

LegacyAppleAHCIPort

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage

Jmicron SATA:

JmicronATA

LegacyJmicronATA

Pretty easy...even wakes via USB keyboard or mouse! Even a mouse wiggle wakes it up The Ethernet still takes 10-20 seconds to wake from sleep, so if you want "instant" Internet after sleep then just install one of those $8 Encore Gigabit PCI cards. You'll see a LOT of HDA Audio errors due to the 889a driver; this can add like 30 seconds to the shutdown sometimes because it tries to kill the audio 50 times (do a -v and you'll see what I mean). You can overcome this with a simple $8 USB sound card (I use a Syba). Not a big deal on either count (networking or audio). The 889a audio sounds way better than the 888 on the DS3L. Special note here: For sound prefs, the "internal speaker" setting is the green jack on the rear panel and the "line out" setting is the black jack on the rear panel. Headphone is front headphone jack if you have an HD Audio plug for your case. So you get stereo 2.1 plus digital if you want it (haven't hooked up digital but it shows up in prefs).

my main question on this board has anybody had any issues mounting external hard drives to the firewire port thats on this board?

most important has anybody had any issues connecting a digi 003 or any recording interfaces to the firewire port on this mobo???

thanks

i just want to know in case i need to buy an extra firewire pci card.

anyone fix the USB storage disconnect on sleep yet?

kmare,

What type of USB device? I just tried with a WD external laptop drive and it works fine - it disconnects and then reconnects after sleep. I have been reading another thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117029&st=240) were there is a lot of discussion around USB devices and wake from sleep, but I am not experiencing them. I do have it happen with an Elgato EyeTV on reboot (not sleep), but my real Mac Pro does the same thing!

cwall, it looks like your link might be the fix. do you get the following message on boot: AppleUSBOHCI[%p]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep"?

essentially the kernel does a hard disconnect of the usb at sleep, which generates the 'you have unsafely unmounted a storage device, try eject' or whatever it says

My wake from S3 works with both usb keyboard and mouse. Next is to figure out wake w/Bluetooth mouse

jt

cwall, it looks like your link might be the fix. do you get the following message on boot: AppleUSBOHCI[%p]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep"?

essentially the kernel does a hard disconnect of the usb at sleep, which generates the 'you have unsafely unmounted a storage device, try eject' or whatever it says

My wake from S3 works with both usb keyboard and mouse. Next is to figure out wake w/Bluetooth mouse

jt

kmare,

Yes you are correct I get two messages like that. And later I get several AppleUSBUHCI... transaction hasn't moved... (so, I was wrong - but the disconnect reconnect isn't that bothersome!)

• 2 weeks later...
my main question on this board has anybody had any issues mounting external hard drives to the firewire port thats on this board?

i just want to know in case i need to buy an extra firewire pci card.

I too, would love to know this.

I might just buy this board, but I'm holding off since I want to make sure I can use the firewire for my firewire-based audio interface together with it.

Too many times you read people say "everything works", and it turns out to be "almost everything" :P

I might just buy this board, but I'm holding off since I want to make sure I can use the firewire for my firewire-based audio interface together with it.

Too many times you read people say "everything works", and it turns out to be "almost everything" :P

As I remember it every time I see the external audio interface mentioned in connection with firewire is always people complaining about how picky they are depending on the chipset used for the firewire, this being the case check to be sure that the chipset on this board which is most likely the model number included in my sig is compatible with yours.

Too many times you read people say "everything works", and it turns out to be "almost everything" :)

I can't get firewire to work. The system seems to detect it. In profiler I can see the vendor ID hex value for the firewire bus, etc, however, I can't get it to recognize any firewire devices.

I built this system for use in a home recording studio. Somehow I will need to get the firewire problem solved. Its a must. On the other hand, I'm not all that torn up over it because the onboard firewire is only 400Mbps. I'm more than willing to drop some more $ on an add-n card with 800Mbps interface.

My build:

GA-EP45-UD3P

Q6600

8GB OCZ 1066

NVidia 8600 GT 512

SATA hard drives

SATA optical drives

Water cooling CPU and GPU blocks (very quiet system)

Belkin 802.11g USB

10.5.6 retail OSX install

All interfaces except for firewire work. Dual DVI is flawless with any mixture of monitors. Case front USB and audio work. Wakes from sleep with keyboard or mouse wiggle (fast too).

Though the MB supports NIC teaming I assume OSX does not so I have not even attempted it. I did have some trouble with the jmicron SATA connectors. They seemed flakey at best so I decided to just not use them at all. Fortunately the remaining 6 connectors were just enough.

All in all, I love this MB and Titan water cooling case. It has been a very smooth build. I only wish I could figure out why firewire won't work.