Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

tested with forcedeth.kext and forcedeth-nockd.kext

both works 15 seconds ok, and then the system freezes. only the mouse works.

recognize dhcp but the system just freezes.

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo Nforce4

Processor : AMD Sempron64 2500+

Memory : 1gb

HDD: Sata (via sata fix)

Video : Radeon x300

(didn't know how to get a debug)

Thanks. Great job.

Forcedeth.kext worked out of the box. I just downloaded Open Office (140 Mb) without a problem.

System:

Asus A8N-E with nForce-4 Ultra

AMD X2 4200+

Gigabyte 6600GT

Hugo

Hi there,

just wanted to tell that it works right now. no panic anymore. i did a new install of all kexts i ever modified/added, and the prob is gone.

So if anybody experiences anything like that, do it like i did right now.

Thanks planetbeing, your driver seems to be alright.

chiras

I have an ASUS A8N-E with nForce 4 Ultra AMD chipset, and a (installed using vmware, running native) OS X on a SATAII HD. I'm using the AppleVIAATA hack to boot it.

Somehow I think that the number of "IOATAController device blocking bus" (which is common in the AppleVIAATA kext) per second rockets when I'm *using* forcedeth kext. It's just a feeling because I have no real proof, but as I use Safari to browse the web, I get lots of "blocking bus"; when I copy large files I don't get that many.

Ultimately this makes the system freeze, and sometimes with severe data corruption on OS X partition. Thanks god this only happens once every hour of use, which is pretty good but still annoying.

When forcedeth is unloaded, the system doesn't freeze: sometimes the VIAATA kext fails and the / partition is remounted read-only (not *really* ro, but every write attempt fails).

Thanks for the kext anyway :)

Hi hugob, are you using SATAII?

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra D motherboard

nForce 4 onboard ethernet LAN (device id 0057) Working!!!

*Notes: Disabled onboard Marvell Yukon (device id 4320), removed D-Link wireless card as it was being seen but not working, disabled onboard firewire as being seen. This just made things more logical and helps to remove (my) human error. Run the forcedeth setup as per the instructions at the beginning of this thread. As "Network Utility" still didnt show the link as up i closed it down. started Safari used the "internet connection wizard" . Reported link found. Started Network utility and ethernet was up at 100Mb's (router NIC speed) Safari found apple.com!!!! Took me several hours though.

** I can get a USB network connection to my router USB port but I think that the USB bus must be reseting as it keeps dropping connection. My USB mouse and keyboard also kept dropping but were ok unplugging/plugging. Does anyone know if it is better with this OS to set in BIOS system resources "manual" or "auto/plug and play os . .etc".

PS2 Keyboard and PS2 mouse Working!!!

*Notes: Disabled USB Keyboard and USB Mouse support in BIOS (you need to do both)

Hope that some of this information may be of use tto someone.

A big heads up to planetbeing for all his hard work and on-going support. i am realy enjoying OS X.

Prophet

Hi,

is there the possibility that this driver is only working on specific versions of Mac OS x86? I can't install the driver on version 10.4.1, there's a conflict with some packages. I'm new to this stuff, so please fill me in. The NIC (NForce 4 on Gigabyte K8NF-9) is not recognized, the Built in Ethernet is greyed out.

Thx for your help.

Works Great since installing not a single Problem. :)

How about a Device name Change now, so in Network Propeties it show as nF3/4 Lan or something similar.

PCI Ethernet Slot pci10de,XX looks lame. i know its only cosmetic but hey, would be a nice addition

Hello there, and thanks for this driver.

Unfortunately I cannot load it properly on my A8N-E, using OSX86 under VMWare. The error I get is:

kextload: extension forcedeth.kext appears to be valid

20com_triton_forcedeth is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension forcedeth.kext

load failed for extension forcedeth.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Doesn't look a big issue, but still it doesn't work. Any help appreciated.

Hello there, and thanks for this driver.

Unfortunately I cannot load it properly on my A8N-E, using OSX86 under VMWare. The error I get is:

Doesn't look a big issue, but still it doesn't work. Any help appreciated.

Are you on 10.4.1? If so... upgrade, that's your problem.

Anyways, here's my issue... forcedeth and forcedeth-nockd see the network card, doesn't do anything after com_triton_forcedeth.

Log's attached.

log.txt

MacOS X 10.4.4 with update to 10.4.5

LAN is not working on my ASUS A8N-E

Every time when I'm trying to make "kextload -v ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext", the MacOSX requires reboot and that's all

Hi :) hey I try what you told .. and I get this :

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Initializing.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Probing.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Starting.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0057, subsystem 0x1043:0x8141 opened.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Mapped from 0xD6000000 of length 4096.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Allocated 3072 bytes of contiguous memory for DMA: rx at 0x23d49000, tx at 0x23d49400, wired at 0xf8ce000.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Found nForce4 LAN with MAC: 00:13:D4:B9:FF:FB.

Apr 23 03:53:13 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Found PHY 0x5040:0x0003 at address 9.

Apr 23 03:53:14 victors-computer kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:13:d4:b9:ff:fb

Apr 23 03:53:14 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Apr 23 03:53:14 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Starting transmit/receive engines

Apr 23 03:53:14 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Network link down.

but then I set my ip and stuff I do a ping and it tells me that NO ROUTE TO HOST .. on the system preferences it shows THE CABLE IS NOT PLUG .. or something like that :(

I have an ASUS MOTHERBOARD A8N-E

hope you can help me

thanks

:)