[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Oh, sorry my mistake. i thought I read you were using vanilla. I'll read the messages and try to help. Sorry again.

:P
Any way, the problem is solved. It was due to wrong GRUB menu settings. I was previously using EFI v8. So GRUB's OS X entry was set like this:
title OS X
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/boot_v8
So, as I understand now, I was trying to boot a Chameleon based boot loader with boot_v8 boot loader. No wander I couldn't boot from an EFI partition like that. :) Stupid me ;)
After a long Googling session, I've found how to setup the GRUB's menu to boot the Chameleon boot loader.
It must look like this:
title OS X New
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
makeactive
chainloader (hd2)+1
Some info, just in case... I have the Chameleon based OS X installation on a separate external USB HDD. The other OS X installation is located on an internal SATA HDD. The main two OSes are located on a RAID0 disks. The primary boot device is the RAID0 massive. So the disks in GRUB's language are enumerated like this:
RAID0 - hd0
SATA Nr2 - hd1
External HDD - hd2
In hd2,0, 0 is the first partition on the diks (the second one would be -1, the third - 2 and so on).
It is very easy to setup GRUB's menu, if you only know how :)
Thanks to kizwan for pointing me the right direction! You've saved me a lot of nerve cels :)

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Great tutorial, easy to follow. . .thank-you! :D

It took 6 tries for me to finally get a working 132 boot up disc for my nForce 750a AMD motherboard, but on the very last disc, it worked and I was able to boot up retail leopard dvd and do a successful 10.5.8 update from apple. . .

The only drag thing is I have to type in:

bt(0,1)/mach_kernel

every time I want to boot. . .so my question is, is there some sort of script that I can put in my EFI boot folder or make a change to the com.apple.Boot.plist or something???

anyway, thanx again, it is certainly is nice to be able to do updates from apple and not worry about breaking things. . .

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

...is there some sort of script that I can put in my EFI boot folder or make a change to the com.apple.Boot.plist or something???

You could put your
bt(0,1)/mach_kernel
line to com.apple.Boot.plist (the file located in EFI partition, not the one in the system disk)
So it could look like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
	   <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
	   <plist version="1.0">
	   <dict>
		   <key>Graphics Mode</key>
		   <string>1920×1200x32</string>
		   <key>Kernel</key>
		   <string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel</string>
		   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
		   <string>macmodel=MacPro4,1 boot-uuid=256646A7-BFC6-3367-87A6-85A94F18D868</string>
		   <key>Timeout</key>
		   <string></string>
		   <key>device-properties</key>
		   <string></string>
	   </dict>
	   </plist>
Take a close look to this lines:
<key>Kernel</key>
			 <string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel</string>
			 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
			 <string>macmodel=MacPro4,1 boot-uuid=256646A7-BFC6-3367-87A6-85A94F18D868</string>
You will need to replace my disk uuid with yours. One can find the uuid via Disk Utility. Open it select partition and click blue button with i. The window shell appear with the uuid.
"macmodel" is only needed to be displayed in the System Profiler. So if yours is displayed correctly, no need to put it there.
You may also put other flags E.G. -v or -f etc.
If a need present, you could put some EFI strings in <key>device-properties</key>. I personally added some strings about PCI devices. For them to be displayed in the System Profiler. It only shows them, but doesn't make them work. Only for aesthetic considerations.
A VGA string may be used. But it doesn't work in my case.
I suggest putting the com.apple.Boot.plist to /Volumes/EFI/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.
It will be needed to create that directories, as it is not mentioned in the guide. To do this type:
mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
That's perfect, just what I was looking for. . .I will try it ASAP

one question tho, will the new com.apple.Boot.plist to /Volumes/EFI/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration override the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration ?

Also, I installed Chameleon 2 on the HFS boot partition, is that going to mess things up or should I erase it and start over. . ?

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

one question tho, will the new com.apple.Boot.plist to /Volumes/EFI/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration override the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration ?

Yes, it will. Totally.

Also, I installed Chameleon 2 on the HFS boot partition, is that going to mess things up or should I erase it and start over. . ?

Yes, it will mess up everything. Monky uses a Chameleon based boot loader file. So the two boot loader files of the same kind on a separate partitions could affect each other. Though it depends on how you are booting your system. If booting from an external boot loader e.g. GRUB, the two Chameleon versions will not interfere (however one must specify to boot from an EFI partition, not the partition where the Chameleon 2 is installed). If you using the Chameleon 2, then it maybe troublesome to boot. So it is better to erase and partition everything from scratch in this case.

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Yes, it will. Totally.

Yes, it will mess up everything. Monky uses a Chameleon based boot loader file. So the two boot loader files of the same kind on a separate partitions could affect each other. Though it depends on how you are booting your system. If booting from an external boot loader e.g. GRUB, the two Chameleon versions will not interfere (however one must specify to boot from an EFI partition, not the partition where the Chameleon 2 is installed). If you using the Chameleon 2, then it maybe troublesome to boot. So it is better to erase and partition everything from scratch in this case.

I see. So to remove Chameleon 2, which I installed twice, once with default options- which means it's probably on the MBR- and the 2nd time on the 200MB HFS partition, which I can erase easily enough. . .

I wonder if an old fdisk /mbr would do the trick?

I can still boot fine using the default Chameleon 2 boot loader GUI, but I have to hit the space bar and type in bt(0,1)/mach_kernel every time I want to boot up. . .

I also noticed that when I open the Chameleon 2 pkg with pacifist that all the default location installs to is a /.Chameleon folder which I can't seem to find in root even with an ls -a

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

:P
Any way, the problem is solved. It was due to wrong GRUB menu settings.

Great to hear that you are finally up and running and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers

TamauJabuk

TamauJabuk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hi guys!

I'm a complete newbie (i have macosx only one day on my Toshiba X200-21k laptop) and im still working on some problems (keyboard not attached).

I've found this thread - and i have some (probably very stupid) newbie questions:

a) if i use this method to install - than all the extensions, custom drivers for my hardware configuration will reside on 200MB partition - and every time when i'll boot the MACOS all the drivers and extensions will be loaded?

:( If i manage to install with this guide, than upgrades from APPLE will not "corupt" or broke my drivers and extensions?

c) Question about keyboard - when i first installed - all i got was wellcoming video with no keyboard or mouse.
So im wondering if i reinstall macosx - will i'll be able to do this:

Once you've done that, boot into your new install via boot-132, and do the following:
Phase 1: Reformatting the EFI System Partition.

1) Open Terminal

2) sudo -s (and type in your password)

PS: I have PS2 keyboard and if i use this patch then keyboard works http://www.insanelym...amp;mode=linear

Thanks for all the answers

By

boombari

boombari

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hi guys,

this method works with snow ?

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts

Hi guys,

It will with some modifications. Read the various guides etc in

osx86 SnowLeopard Install

also, go to the #snowleopard IRC channel. Look in the topic for links to files you may need.

mattrb4

mattrb4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hi guys,

Yes

The best implementation of EFI Boot Partition on Snow is given by DD.

He created a script that can be tweaked for any motherboard.

VERY EASY!!

No needing to type stuff for your EFI Partition anymore like munky's original guide!

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=185097

Note for non-core(i7) using this script

The two keys below represent variables in smbios.plist (extra folder) that left unchecked, could make your non-core(i7) computer KP. Make sure if you dont have core-i7, that you make SMmemtype at 19. Also make sure your mac model is not MacPro4,1 which is for i7 but MacPro3,1 which is for non i7. Also DD's script can change your smbios.plist too! Also change kexts in 10.6 folder according to what kexts your computer needs.

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>mac,model goes here</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>put 24 for DDR3 RAM, 19 for DDR2 RAM or 18 for DDR RAM</string>

night_rider

night_rider

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
re: Deprecation Notice

I see Munky has retired this topic but I'm fuzzy as to why. Appreciate any insight.

I've installed Chameleon RC3. I attempted to mount the EFI partition but kept getting 'Invalid Argument' error messages. I now believe this is because the EFI partition was never formatted. The error sent me towards installing Chameleon RC3 with the intent of having it read from the /Extra folder on my SL installation. When I boot however the exensions in there do not show as loaded in System Profiler.

This issue has me looking at putting them all on the EFI partition rather than my SL partition but that seems to be munky's method which he has deprecated. I guess before I do this I was just trying to understand why this method was retired. I still see it in MANY of the SL guides.

Appreciate input. Thanks.

caai_thinkpad

caai_thinkpad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
This is a really great tutorial. It works like a charm on my ThinkPad T43 with pre-core CPU. I've got only two minor problems.

1) I can't seem to find and properly set up the correct kext for USB. I am already booting a 9.4.0 kernel from the EFI partition. But i fail to get USB mounting to work.

2) In a similar fashion I am a little helpless about the power management. can't seem to find out how to set it up either.

Does anyone have any hints for me? What would I need? I have backed up all the old kexts that were working with Leopard 10.5.5 before.

My CPU is a Pentium-M 1.86GHz and the chipset is Intel 915GM.
link

edit: ok scrap that. I got it now. Had been placing kexts in the wrong directory.

cheers

BarboneNet

BarboneNet

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
hi guys, with snow i can't unmount the EFI partition...did know a solution??

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

hi guys, with snow i can't unmount the EFI partition...did know a solution??

did u try:
umount /Volumes/EFI (If this fails, do umount -f /Volumes/EFI)

BarboneNet

BarboneNet

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

did u try:
umount /Volumes/EFI (If this fails, do umount -f /Volumes/EFI)

thanks, for a correct install of Efi Bootloader with sonw, i use Gparted Live

With snow, the EFI partition after diskutil eraseVolume, become real and this is mount on Desktop!

And after Reboot, Efi partition is again on dektop!

srs5694

srs5694

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

thanks, for a correct install of Efi Bootloader with sonw, i use Gparted Live

With snow, the EFI partition after diskutil eraseVolume, become real and this is mount on Desktop!

And after Reboot, Efi partition is again on dektop!

First, it's possible to create an /etc/fstab file with an entry to tell MacOS to not mount a particular partition. I don't happen to have a sample on my system to quote, so this example is made up and might not work quite right, but....

LABEL=EFI	/Volumes/EFI  hfs  noauto,users

This example, if I've got it right, will keep the volume called EFI from being mounted at boot time, but you'll still be able to mount it manually (via the mount command), if necessary. Change "EFI" to the volume name, or substitute the UUID, as in "UUID=363752D3-8A2D-003C-4482-897941E81101", for "LABEL=EFI". I'm not entirely sure if that's the partition's UUID or the filesystem's UUID, though. You'll need to find the UUID and substitute it, either way.

Before you do this, you may want to investigate the type code you've got on this partition. It should be UUID C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B, which shows up in various ways in different GPT utilities. For instance, GNU Parted says such partitions have the "boot flag" set, and my own GPT fdisk gives these partitions the hex code EF00. If the partition has a normal data partition type code for Windows or Mac OS data, that's the root of the problem, and it's better to fix this problem at its root rather than use an /etc/fstab workaround. Use GNU Parted to set the "boot flag" or use GPT fdisk to set the type code to EF00. Note that GNU Parted has the unfortunate habit of wiping out the MBR code on GPT disks and of converting hybrid MBR disks into conventional (non-hybrid) GPT disks, so you may need to jump through some more hoops if you use Parted.

SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Yes

The best implementation of EFI Boot Partition on Snow is given by DD.

He created a script that can be tweaked for any motherboard.

VERY EASY!!

No needing to type stuff for your EFI Partition anymore like munky's original guide!

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=185097

Dunno, I tried his script (just for installing it on the EFI partition, nothing else) for my GA-P35-DS3L and it ruined the whole install. It KP's whenever I try booting from the HDD, and using a Chameleon 2 RC3 disc makes the screen flash and not work. Not that it's a bad script, it's just one that won't work for everyone.

Anyways, I was following this tutorial, and I couldn't get it to work really either. Once I got to the testing part, it would say "boot0: error". Most people said I had to mark the partition as active, and I followed the tutorial again, and no luck. I then tried another tutorial on activating partitions, and although it was basically the same thing, it then made the computer display nothing whenever I tried booting from it.

mattrb4

mattrb4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Dunno, I tried his script (just for installing it on the EFI partition, nothing else) for my GA-P35-DS3L and it ruined the whole install. It KP's whenever I try booting from the HDD, and using a Chameleon 2 RC3 disc makes the screen flash and not work. Not that it's a bad script, it's just one that won't work for everyone.

Anyways, I was following this tutorial, and I couldn't get it to work really either. Once I got to the testing part, it would say "boot0: error". Most people said I had to mark the partition as active, and I followed the tutorial again, and no luck. I then tried another tutorial on activating partitions, and although it was basically the same thing, it then made the computer display nothing whenever I tried booting from it.

ok I wanna help with DD's script not working for you. I think your problem involves the smbios.plist in the extra's folder.
The two keys below represent variables that left unchecked, could make your non-core(i7) computer KP. Make sure if you dont have core-i7, that you make SMmemtype at 19. Also make sure your mac model is not MacPro4,1 which is for i7 but MacPro3,1 which is for non i7.

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>mac,model goes here</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>put 24 for DDR3 RAM, 19 for DDR2 RAM or 18 for DDR RAM</string>

vassi1i1983

vassi1i1983

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

Forgive me for backtracking but I've only just stumbled into the whole retail install craze, and I'm hoping to get it working properly on Leopard 10.5.4 before I mess with Snow. I'm on the final steps and want to make sure I do this correctly.

I modified the boot-132 iso to include the voodoo 9.4.0 kernel/system.kext and have successfully installed Leopard and updated to 10.5.4. In addition to this thread I have been using this thread, as well as this tutorial, and have downloaded the suggested Chameleon for Hard Disk and EFI Studio. I also have the voodoo kernel release 1.0 from xnu-dev and the accompanying documentation.

My understanding is that I should be able to copy my Extras/ folder from my boot disk to the Chameleon installer and then install it. I should then be able to update my kernel using the xnu-dev installer package.

Is this correct? I feel like a noob asking, but it's taken me a long time to get to this point, and I don't want to have to reinstall AGAIN...

Specs:
Pentium D 805 2.66gHz
Abit Fatal1ty F190-HD
8gb Corsair XMS2-6400
evga GeForce 7600gs
WD 120gb EIDE
LG DVD

Thanks for checking my thinking!

chris

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy