[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

flipinfin

flipinfin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
First good tutorial i can figure everything out except for the end to load mach_kernal i want to know how to boot from origanal vanilla kernal can any1 help or have any suggestions?

Iseeutoo

Iseeutoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Old but great option to get retail without any modifications...

Actualy i have 10.5.7 + dsmos+boot.plist with gfx string and generated dsdt+newhpet. All work fine, AppleCPUIntelPowerManagment and AppleHPET <- LOADED! but i see one error at start respect to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin ... PSS Evaluation Failed.

And indentyfication as unknown ;/ but system works fine, uptime is more shortly than my older installation with disabler smbios dsmos and pcefiv9.

Thx for guide and if anybody can help me with clean that error plz do it ;)

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

yes, you have to edit apple.com.Boot.plist with eth0 EFI string (you use EFI studio) and put it in /Volumes/EFI. Done!

Thanks a lot!! Worked like a charm!

EDIT: Just a little note on this. If you somehow muck up your install and restore from your Time Machine backup, after finishing restoring you have to boot from the Leopard DVD to use disk utility and check for the boot-uuid of the drive that it was just restored, since Time Machine wipes out the drive to do the restore and by doing this it changes its boot-uuid. After you get the new boot-uuid just edit your efi partition's com.Apple.boot.plist with this and you're done. A complete restore from Time Machine.

Thanks BlackCorsair for your help

bzzzum

bzzzum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any Idea how to clone EFI Partition?

thanks in advance :(

maco55

maco55

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
so anything new about this?

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts

Any Idea how to clone EFI Partition?

thanks in advance :)

Depends on what you mean by clone. If you wish to have the exact same EFI partition on another drive that's not hard to do. Open a terminal session and do the following commands:

sudo -s
cp -R /EFI/*  ~/Desktop/EFI

That will copy your EFI partition to your desktop. Then, format the EIF partition on the other drive and mount it. Copy the version on your Desktop to the new drive EFI partition.

Or, did you have something else in mind?

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Depends on what you mean by clone. If you wish to have the exact same EFI partition on another drive that's not hard to do. Open a terminal session and do the following commands:

sudo -s
 cp -R /EFI/*  ~/Desktop/EFI

That will copy your EFI partition to your desktop. Then, format the EIF partition on the other drive and mount it. Copy the version on your Desktop to the new drive EFI partition.

Or, did you have something else in mind?

Thanks a lot BladeRunner!!! I came in today to search or ask about this!! You guys are awesome.

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi guys, it's me again.

This time I have a different kind of question. After I upgraded my box to 10.5.6 my USB got so slow that I thought it was nonresponsive. My setup is the following:

P4 HT 3.06 Ghz (Prescott I think) w/2Gb RAM
BIOSTAR P4M800-M7 Motherboard
nVidia Gforce 6200 256Mb AGP
DATA:Western Digital 200Gb SATA
CD :Lite-on IDE DL-DVD-RW drive

I'm running voodoo kernel with a boot.plist in EFI partition. My question is: Do I need DSDT? because I noticed a lot of error messages during boot that I never saw before. If somebody can help me with this I would appreciate it .

Thanks

OSXtemp

OSXtemp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Well, I am running into a problem during Phase II, Step 4 --- whenever I try to use the fdisk command line, I am always getting a permission denied error. 'fdisk' by itself executes (brings up options), but whenever I add rdisk0 to the line, it's always permission denied. Even using 'sudo' doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas that could help me get past this?

Info -- Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MB, hard drive is single partitioned (GUID), installed retail 10.5.1.

Thanks in advance.

juergenb

juergenb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great Guide,

i got it running on Lenovo T61 :P with vanilla kernel and 10.5.8 upgrade.

I used a boot-132 CD for Dell e520 to boot my notebook. After Reading this Guide i installed the bootloader and unzipped the mkext from Dell e520 to the EFI/Extensions Folder.

Boot realy fast now, WLAN Working with a T61 compatible Atheros Card.

T61 with C2D, X3100, GM965 Chipset and SSD

Thanks

NoSmokingBandit

NoSmokingBandit

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
Has anyone tried installing Snow Leopard using this method? Im curious if i can set up my EFI partition with Leopard then just format the OS partition and install Snow Leo later and have everything still work.

HaX0r Jim Duggan

HaX0r Jim Duggan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Has anyone tried installing Snow Leopard using this method? Im curious if i can set up my EFI partition with Leopard then just format the OS partition and install Snow Leo later and have everything still work.

I'm interested to know this too...

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
HI!
Very nice guide!!! Brilliant! I have a fully working vanilla install :) Just some different kernels + extensions in EFI/Extensions. Updates are done as a peace of cake, with absolutely no worries!

But, as usual something must be wrong :) I can only boot the disk from the Boot123 CD. Then booting, from an EFI partition - no go. [Censored]

No matter what I write to prompt (tried bt(0,0)/kernel_name rd=disk2s2, hd(1,2)/kernel_name rd=disk2s2 and many other options). It just doesn't boot or boots to the vanilla kernel (fallowed by an instant reboot; my system isn't vanilla-ready).

Some deeper exploration showed that the boot loader just ignores the EFI partition or simply doesn't know of such. Every time it boots, it is looking for the kernel and com.boot.plist in its own partition (instead of an EFI partition). Therefore adding a com.boot.plist to EFI partition doesn't change anything - just the same booting from it's own partition.

If I change anything in a com.boot.plist located on the system partition, it responses to that flags (e.g. -v, -f and so on). Any kernel related flags does nothing, which is obvious, cos' patched kernels are located in EFI partition.

So I assumed that I did something wrong, and skipped some important steps. Checked and rechecked everything. Repeated the guide's steps 10 times. An EFI partition is OK. Everything is in place and with correct permissions. It is set as bootable. It is unmounted properly and not mounted outomataicaly. Disk check reports no errors. But still nothing!

Then as a matter of precaution I've formatted and erased the disk several times. No go!! Then erased the disk with zerroing it twice. No files could survived that. No go!!![censored]

After that I've disconnected the second disk with OS X installed, so the vanilla install disk be the only one GUID disk in the system (it could have some influence). Now what?! No go!

I don't' know what else could be wrong (my karma maybe :) )

Some info on that nasty disk:
IDE (via USB enclosure) 37Gb total capacity
GPT (GUID) part. table
An EFI partition (HFS+)
A system partition (HFS+)

An old school method with writing EFi_v8 to a system partition worked perfectly with the "not vanilla" install. But this method is not compatible with the GUIDE I gues.

Any ideas? :)

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

HI!
Very nice guide!!! Brilliant! I have a fully working vanilla install :) Just some different kernels + extensions in EFI/Extensions. Updates are done as a peace of cake, with absolutely no worries!

But, as usual something must be wrong :thumbsup_anim: I can only boot the disk from the Boot123 CD. Then booting, from an EFI partition - no go. [Censored]

No matter what I write to prompt (tried bt(0,0)/kernel_name rd=disk2s2, hd(1,2)/kernel_name rd=disk2s2 and many other options). It just doesn't boot or boots to the vanilla kernel (fallowed by an instant reboot; my system isn't vanilla-ready).

Some deeper exploration showed that the boot loader just ignores the EFI partition or simply doesn't know of such. Every time it boots, it is looking for the kernel and com.boot.plist in its own partition (instead of an EFI partition). Therefore adding a com.boot.plist to EFI partition doesn't change anything - just the same booting from it's own partition.

If I change anything in a com.boot.plist located on the system partition, it responses to that flags (e.g. -v, -f and so on). Any kernel related flags does nothing, which is obvious, cos' patched kernels are located in EFI partition.

So I assumed that I did something wrong, and skipped some important steps. Checked and rechecked everything. Repeated the guide's steps 10 times. An EFI partition is OK. Everything is in place and with correct permissions. It is set as bootable. It is unmounted properly and not mounted outomataicaly. Disk check reports no errors. But still nothing!

Then as a matter of precaution I've formatted and erased the disk several times. No go!! Then erased the disk with zerroing it twice. No files could survived that. No go!!![censored]

After that I've disconnected the second disk with OS X installed, so the vanilla install disk be the only one GUID disk in the system (it could have some influence). Now what?! No go!

I don't' know what else could be wrong (my karma maybe :) )

Some info on that nasty disk:
IDE (via USB enclosure) 37Gb total capacity
GPT (GUID) part. table
An EFI partition (HFS+)
A system partition (HFS+)

An old school method with writing EFi_v8 to a system partition worked perfectly with the "not vanilla" install. But this method is not compatible with the GUIDE I gues.

Any ideas? :)

Well, if you are using vanilla kernel you don't need to type anything at the boot prompt according to the guide. That is only for people who are using a patched kernel (eg. Voodoo)

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Well, if you are using vanilla kernel you don't need to type anything at the boot prompt according to the guide. That is only for people who are using a patched kernel (eg. Voodoo)

The point is I can't use vanilla kernel. My system is not vanilla compatible. That is where the problem appears.
I can't boot vanilla kernel - patched one is needed. But there is no way I can boot a patched kernel (and Extentions too) from an EFI partition. System just ignores EFI partition during the boot up process.

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Why don't you just put the patched kernel at the root of your Mac partition instead EFI partition. It is much easier.

How can you said that your bootloader just ignores the EFI partition? Unless you're not using EFI to boot your Mac OS X.

You can copy com.apple.Boot.plist file to the EFI partition. This way it can find your patched kernel.

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Why don't you just put the patched kernel at the root of your Mac partition instead EFI partition. It is much easier.

It is, but no use of it if the patched kernel won't load custom kexts from /Volumes/EFI/Extensions. I that case, system will not even boot. The idea of this guide was to make "zero modification installs". That mean "no patched things" on the system partition. Adding kernel to the system partition is out of this rule.

How can you said that your bootloader just ignores the EFI partition? Unless you're not using EFI to boot your Mac OS X.

I'm talking about the Darwin boot loader, not the PC boot loader. The darwin boot loader is supposed to load the kernel and extensions from EFI partition. But some how it can't read that partition or it is not readable/accessable. I want to know how I could fix it? How to force it to read an EFI partition?

You can copy com.apple.Boot.plist file to the EFI partition. This way it can find your patched kernel.

I've tried that too. It change nothing. Darwin just ignores it.

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

I'm talking about the Darwin boot loader, not the PC boot loader. The darwin boot loader is supposed to load the kernel and extensions from EFI partition. But some how it can't read that partition or it is not readable/accessable. I want to know how I could fix it? How to force it to read an EFI partition?

I'm talking about boot from EFI partition. It looks like you're not booting from EFI partition. Are you sure you have set EFI partition bootable?

vilpostus

vilpostus

Enjoy the silence

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

I'm talking about boot from EFI partition. It looks like you're not booting from EFI partition. Are you sure you have set EFI partition bootable?

Yap! Totaly. I payed special attention to the step of setting it bootable. GpartedLive CD states it is bootable. Unless it only reports to be bootable and it is not in reality... I don't think it could be possible.
How ells could I check this?

Phase 3: Make the disk bootable

This stage may not be necessary on some boards, but on my Intel board and Bad Axe boards it is. If you skip this step and your system wont boot, try doing it. That said, doing this on boards which DONT need it will do no harm so my logic is do it anyway.

Type the fdisk command and then each line as shown:

1) ./fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (NB: Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

2) f 1

3) w

4) q

I'm talking about this step. I do made this step.

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

The point is I can't use vanilla kernel. My system is not vanilla compatible. That is where the problem appears.
I can't boot vanilla kernel - patched one is needed. But there is no way I can boot a patched kernel (and Extentions too) from an EFI partition. System just ignores EFI partition during the boot up process.

Oh, sorry my mistake. i thought I read you were using vanilla. I'll read the messages and try to help. Sorry again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy