[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

billstewartx

billstewartx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
MEE TOO!! Anybody have a dual boot idea on this one?
currently it won't go to the windows partition that is installed already...

ps
chameleon screwed it up last time
so i'm paranoid of that one...

Hi,

I am trying to dual boot leopard using this installation method and vista. I read on this page link that I need to install Chameleon. However on the first post of this thread it says that we can't install chameleon or pc_efi otherwise it might mess things up. So should I install chameleon or not to dual boot with vista? I am not sure what Chameleon is and what it does, could someone please explain to me? I went to their website and still couldn't figure it out, is it another kind of bootloader like the dfe one we are using here? Can they co-exist?

Thanks!

p.s. I am using only 1 hard disk with GPT

Eddie Turfboer

Eddie Turfboer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Okay. I was finally able to get everything working properly on my main pc. However, I used this method on an AMD Semperon 1.8GHz and the board has the marvell yukon 88e801 network adapter. The skge.kext I found works, if installed to the system partition. I can't get it to work from the EFI partition. Also not able to get AppleAC97Audio.kext to load from EFI partition either ( AD1980 ). Any suggestions?

Be sure to use the kext in mkext format for audio to work. Some kext (for instance for my lan) need to be booted with -f or in /System/Library/Extensions for it to work. Not sure why, but it is the way it is...

MEE TOO!! Anybody have a dual boot idea on this one?
currently it won't go to the windows partition that is installed already...

ps
chameleon screwed it up last time
so i'm paranoid of that one...

Chameleon is nothing to be afraid of. It is a simple bootloader with options that you would use in combination with mac os x. You are able to use smbios.plist, kext, different kernel and a modified bios if you need one. The thing to understand is that you do not need anything from this post if you use chameleon. Imagine a new empty drive. Format it with three partitions (1st MacLoader 1GB, 2nd MacOSX >8GB, 3rd Windows >10GB). Now install Retail Leopard with your boot-132 cd top the MacOSX partition. Reboot with boot-132 cd into os x. Install Chameleon to the MacLoader partition and set boot flag to MacLoader. Add kext and the rest to MacLoader and reboot without boot-132 cd. If it all works well you can install Windows (though you may have to set or reset the boot flag to the MacLoader partition afterwards).
Haven't tried it on a existing installation yet, but I assume you can adjust the above as necessary.

discmeister

discmeister

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
I've used this method for about four months now. It gives a stable install, but it does NOT make your Hackintosh safe for Apple Software Update. That's nonsense. Installed 10.5.7 last night and my machine is toast. Back to square one...

andeify

andeify

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

I've used this method for about four months now. It gives a stable install, but it does NOT make your Hackintosh safe for Apple Software Update. That's nonsense. Installed 10.5.7 last night and my machine is toast. Back to square one...

The problem isnt this method, the problem is everytime apple updates the OS we need a different or updated drivers/kexts configuration. This method is the best thats available.

Ive just updated to 10.5.7 and it wouldn't boot right away. Ive had to remove a couple of kexts, and im now looking for more kexts to get it back to where I was at before I updated.

The good thing about this method is safe mode or boot132 cd will allways get u back up and running!

Methanoid

Methanoid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Imagine a new empty drive. Format it with three partitions (1st MacLoader 1GB, 2nd MacOSX >8GB, 3rd Windows >10GB). Now install Retail Leopard with your boot-132 cd top the MacOSX partition. Reboot with boot-132 cd into os x. Install Chameleon to the MacLoader partition and set boot flag to MacLoader. Add kext and the rest to MacLoader and reboot without boot-132 cd. If it all works well you can install Windows (though you may have to set or reset the boot flag to the MacLoader partition afterwards).
Haven't tried it on a existing installation yet, but I assume you can adjust the above as necessary.

At the risk of appearing noobish, but doesnt Windows need to be on the first partition (or at least is unhappy at being on 2nd or later partitions). And what formats the Macloader partition?

nikics

nikics

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I'm following this tutorial on the first side but i allways get stuck in Phase 4 step 3 when you should copy the extensions.
I put cd Desktop/extension but the reply is always "no such file or Directory" I checked several times that Desktop/extension is correct and i also tried other folder, too where I put the cd comand but I still get the same error.

can me please help anybody?
(i just used the comands in the tutorial)

Thanks

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Hi,
I'm following this tutorial on the first side but i allways get stuck in Phase 4 step 3 when you should copy the extensions.
I put cd Desktop/extension but the reply is always "no such file or Directory" I checked several times that Desktop/extension is correct and i also tried other folder, too where I put the cd comand but I still get the same error.

Folder name is case sensitive in terminal. "no such file or Directory" error will appear if the directory is actually doesn't exist or it is misspelled.

kizwan

discmeister

discmeister

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
As an update to my recent post, I did a -v boot and noticed that it was grumbling about audio stuff. So I deleted AppleHDA.kext from /system/library/extensions, then put the AppleHDA from my backed-up 10.5.6 s/l/e folder in there. This is the method that is recommended elsewhere on the forums, but it didn't do it for me.

However, no one appears to have specified that you need to do a repair permissions in diskutil before rebooting. THEN it works fine.

Hope this helps someone else who may be struggling.

Discy

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
Ciao a tutti!

I updated to 10.5.7 in my Raid0 EFI partition without problems.
Only my sysprofiler report a wrong data and give me a error

I tried dozen of applesmbios configurations with no luck!

How to fix it?

Thanks!

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Has anybody been able to use time machine with this method? I can't seem to be able to.

Thanks

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Has anybody been able to use time machine with this method? I can't seem to be able to.

Thanks

yes, you have to edit apple.com.Boot.plist with eth0 EFI string (you use EFI studio) and put it in /Volumes/EFI. Done!

To All with 10.5.7: wich kind of AppleSMBIOS have you used for? Mine is not working properly now - the same of 10.5.6!!!

fagosu

fagosu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

yes, you have to edit apple.com.Boot.plist with eth0 EFI string (you use EFI studio) and put it in /Volumes/EFI. Done!

To All with 10.5.7: wich kind of AppleSMBIOS have you used for? Mine is not working properly now - the same of 10.5.6!!!

Thanks a lot, I will try it this weekend and let you know. As for your question, mine is not working correctly either, but I have a P4 so I don't mind.

Thanks again
~fagosu

dummy15

dummy15

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi all,

I am having EFI partition from which I boot and everything works fine, except one problem:
- I have voodoo kernel 9.5.0
- I have matching seatbelt.kext in EFI/Extensions folder (version 107.10)
- I have leopard 10.5.7 seatbelt.kext in /S/L/E (version 107.12)

What is strange: the loaded KEXT is from /S/L/E and not from EFI partition.

Any help and suggestion highly appreciated

Hey guys, I'm using this method and its working almost perfectly. I only have a little problem with wifi. I'm using a patched IO80211Family.kext (Broadcom chipset) and while booting without -f I get an error saying that the kext's immediate and other dependencies could not be resolved, it isn't loaded and I obviously get no wifi. Loading it manually post-boot runs with no errors, but does not enable wifi, and using -f works as expected (as I've said before) but I'd much rather avoid it.

Any ideas?

I had similar problem. The solution was to put IONetworkinFamily.kext into EFI/Extensions folder and re-run ./update.sh

Hope this helps

quantum22

quantum22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
plzz i need a help from sm 1 to burn my iatkos iso file onto dvd.
i downloaded iatkos v1.0i (size 2.09 gb) and even checked its md5
checksum jus to make sure that its not a fake one.i used these burning
software lyk nero. magiciso and img burn.but aftr burning the iso
file i can see only 542 kb content in my dvd. i might have wasted til nw
3 dvd's and nw its really driving me insane.plz can any tell me in detail
how to burn iso/hfs + file system as im desperate to install .thanks
in advance

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Ok! Done! You have to delete original applesmbios from S/L/E and SPiPlatformreporter from S/L/systemprofiler!
You use your smbios you like in /EFI/Extensions!
That's all!

timeshifter

timeshifter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Using this method I was able to modify a Retail install on my laptop and begin loading kexts to the EFI partition. Originally I had installed it using this guide: [TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0] - InsanelyMac Forum.

That method looks very similar to this one but you don't make the EFI partition visible. I'm not sure exactly but I think it tries to use a partition called MacLoader. But I could never figure out how to load kexts with that method. That install method does provide me with the newer Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader.

I modified my install by exposing the EFI partition to make it more like this method. It appears that MacLoader is not in wide use and I couldn't find out much about it to really understand the differences.

Anyone have any idea of what's different between the two methods?

Earl McMann

Earl McMann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi there. I've run into a problem on my second time around using this guide. When I turn on the computer, I am taken to this screen:

Posted Image

Sorry for the blurry image, my camera is pretty old.

My drive is partitioned in two. The Macintosh partition is where the Vanilla kernel is located. So, I press enter and wait for it to boot up. Then instead of this screen:

Posted Image

Which I get when booting up with the CD, I get a screen similar to it without the Apple logo. After 30-45 seconds, I get this message:

Posted Image

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm thinking I might have not copied over an important .kext that might be causing it. Anyways, thanks.

Earl

I made that post two months ago, and I am just now re-attempting to fix this problem. Someone suggested typing -v -f instead of just pressing enter, as to better address the problem, and this is the output I got.

Part 1:

Posted Image

Part 2:

Posted Image

I know this is an old question, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Earl

zhell

zhell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Make sure you have HPET enabled in your BIOS.
Then, search for the error message you got ("No HPETs available"), it's a common error. Maybe you need a disabler to disable the KEXTs AppleHPET.kext from loading (it's in /S/L/E, but your hack should run withtout it).
Good luck!

Earl McMann

Earl McMann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks so much for your quick response. I'll try this right away! -_-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I started from the very beginning, following every step of the guide, except for this time I copied an AppleHPET Disabler.kext into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions.

I got the .kext here: http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1020004

Following the instructions from that post, I booted with -f, and still, I got the kernel panic screen. I changed the integer value, as the guy recommended, to 1000, and I'm going to try again.

I looked around in my BIOS, and I couldn't find anything allowing for the enabling or disabling of HPET. I'll triple check, but I didn't see it. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, if that's any help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked my again BIOS, and there's nothing pertaining to HPET there.

I noticed that the screen received after -v -f also listed part of the error message had to do with my CPU being configured incorrectly and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, so I copied a AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disabler into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions as well, but I still get the kernel panic. Both of the Disabler .kexts that I downloaded had were named Disabler.kext, so I renamed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement one Disabler2.kext.

I found that disabler here (from the poster "3D mn") : http://www.insanelym...hp/t132581.html

I also realized that I hadn't updated the boot cache after installing these last two disablers, so I re-copied them and this time made sure to do:

cd /Volumes/EFI
./update.sh

But this didn't fix the problem either.

Earl

Before I get to far ahead of myself, might downloading this .kext pack made for my motherboard help?

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1156645

Downloading a pack similar to this seemed to help this guy: http://www.insanelym...hp/t156614.html

Earl

I think this guide might solve my problem: http://www.insanelym...hp/t146052.html

But the .zip file attachment that contains all of the necessary .kexts will not open.

Furthermore, whenever I try to copy a .kext into /Volumes/EFI/Extensions, the disk will not mount properly:

bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mkdir: /Volumes/EFI: File exists
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument
bash-3.2#

And I cannot update the boot cache after copying the .kexts:

bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# ./update.sh
bash: ./update.sh: No such file or directory

I didn't have this problem until now. :/

Earl

I removed the Disabler.kexts that I added to my /Volumes/EFI/Extensions, the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and the AppleHPET.kext:

bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1
** /dev/rdisk0s1
** Checking Non-journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
** Checking multi-linked files.
** Checking Catalog hierarchy.
** Checking Extended Attributes file.
** Checking volume bitmap.
** Checking volume information.
** The volume EFI appears to be OK.
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# sudo -s
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/Disabler.kext
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/Disabler2.kext
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
bash-3.2# rm -rf /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# ./update.sh
Updating EFI boot cache
done.
bash-3.2#

So by removing those .kexts, this should work, but it doesn't. I must be doing some command wrong, or the .kexts must be in some other part of my EFI. Otherwise, it would not show an error message pertaining to the .kexts in question (because they aren't there). So, they must be somewhere in there, I just do not know where.

So the question is: Can someone tell me how to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext and the AppleHPET.kext from my EFI partition?

Earl

nsfx84

nsfx84

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hi, had too many problems with ideneb and i gave up asking for help. I have a genuine leopard 10.5.6 DVD from apple and i want to format my ideneb away and install it onto my current setup:

Intel E8400
Gigabyte 9800GT 512MB
Asus P5Q

Can someone please confirm with me how to install? I heard that i can install using the Boot-132 method which allows me to install apple updates hassle free. Where do i get the boot-132 from??

My boot 132 was from this thread http://www.insanelym...howtopic=144020
is it the one i must be using? It is currently installed onto a thumbdrive. is that the correct Boot132 for me? Do i just use this and follow the instructions in the

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy