• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

ithinkurdumb

ithinkurdumb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I successfully enabled AHCI for my Mac Pro (2008) using the AHCI Enabler, thanks for the hard work! The performance is slightly higher (the WEI is 6.9 in IDE and 7.2 in AHCI). It also sleeps and wakes up well.

I do encounter a strange problem. I tried to install Intel RST, but the installer says my system "does not meet the minimum requirement". I got this message before when I tried to install Intel RST on the Mac Pro running in IDE mode.

Has anyone seen somothing similar before?

ahmed kamal

ahmed kamal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
hi everybody ,

i have macbook pro 2011 i7/8g ram/256 ssd vertex 4 , my ssd rating under windows 7 was 6.9 after applying the mbr patch it become 7.9 , very good .
but the problem is bootcamp control panel didnt work , and sleep also didnt work , if there is any solution or other patched mbr or other method to enable ahci in windows 7 and make sleep working ?

thanks .

orph

orph

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

...I tried to install Intel RST, but the installer says my system "does not meet the minimum requirement". I got this message before when I tried to install Intel RST on the Mac Pro running in IDE mode.

Has anyone seen somothing similar before?

There should be two versions of the RST driver - a RAID, and a non-RAID one... have you got the right one?

Can someone please post links and MacBook Pro RST drivers that worked for you?

Also a dumb question - if you force install the AHCI driver in windows, reboot, patch the MBR, and it DOESN'T work, you restore the MBR - Windows doesn't boot because it's now using the AHCI driver. What steps are people taking to reverse the AHCI driver install?

I'm using Windows 8 RP so there is no Last Known Good Configuration :worried_anim:

P.S. Thank you to everyone who's worked hard on this thread!

orph

orph

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Answered my own question - Windows 8 use SHIFT + F8 to go into safe mode if need be and roll back the AHCI driver in Device Manager. I thought this would be useful to post as I haven't read it anywhere in case anyone gets stuck.
---

The patchedcode.bin for MBP8,3 (or 2011 onwards notebooks) just tested and working fine (!!) on Windows 8 Release Preview x64 in case anyone wants confirmation before they go ahead.

I did a binary compare of my original Windows 8 MBR and the patchedcode.bin and the only differences in the first 440 bytes were the injected code.

Process I used:
1. Checked the registry that
HKLM/System/Current Control Set/Services/storahci -> Start = 0 (it already was on mine... this is the new regkey that replaces "msahci" from Windows 7 and below); and
HKLM/System/Current Control Set/Services/iaStorV -> Start = 0 (already was)
2. Force the SATA controller driver update to the Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI Controller in Device Manager
3. Reboot into the OS X setup disk, open the Terminal utility
4. unmount all volumes on my SSD (using e.g. "umount /dev/disk0s01" ... etc.)
5. overwrite the MBR with "dd if=patchedcode.bin of=/dev/disk0 bs=440 count=1"

Reboot and verified in Device Manager the Sata AHCI Controller is installed and working! Now benchmarks 475MB/s (vs. 285MB/s) on an Intel 520 240GB SSD.

Thank you Euclid1 for working this out for the i5/i7 MacBook Pros, you're a gem! and thank you everyone else for your background work.

ahmed kamal

ahmed kamal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Dear ORPH ,

your info was very good actually but i have a question please .

Did bootcamp control panel work ?
And what about sleep ?
Am talking about windows 7 x64 .

thanks very much .

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
Sleep works intermittently and seems to be dependent on what Mac you have, with Win7 x64 and my 2008 Mac Pro sleep does work when I have used it, I typically don't allow it to sleep though.
Bootcamp control panel does not work.

willeme

willeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, anyone with success on a MacMini5,1 - and which version of the patched code.bin should I use ?

willeme

willeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, confirming it works fine on a macmin5,1 (using 'manual' mbr patch method) with a Samsung 830 series disk, thanks for all the good work !

Atmosfear

Atmosfear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
If you use Paragon NTFS, disable it through system prefs, then unmount and remount your ntfs partitions through disk utility or AHCI enabler won't find your volume. After you enabled AHCI you can turn Paragon NTFS back on.

flar

flar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone investigated using rEFInd (fork of rEFIt that is still being maintained) to drive the process? It has a mode where you can add various parameters to grub entries and it can access PCI data before it boots windows. The rEFInd configuration web page shows an example that someone used to set their video to the right mode before launching windows (search for "PCI" on this page). The main stumbling block that I see is if the MBR boot code might reset the PCI state after the rEFInd script runs and before Windows is launched. Are the mods to the MBR to "add" PCI commands that weren't there, or does the standard MBR contain code to set the SATA ports into IDE mode and they are being modified to change it into AHCI instead?

dude8

dude8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
does this guide to enable AHCI work on the newest MBP 2012 (non retina), also? Did anyone test this?

johnmatrix

johnmatrix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having trouble getting this to work on my 13" 2011 Macbook Pro (8,1) with an SSD. I have Mountain Lion installed, and Windows 8 x64 RTM installed.

The registry keys in Windows 8 are set properly, by default they were all "0".

I then tried using AHCI Enabler application in Mountain Lion, but it can't find my Windows volume so that won't work.

I've also tried the sh script, it successfully patched the MBR. It results in Windows 8 crashing on bootup and restarting.

I attempted manually patching the MBR using the Mountain Lion boot disc and the patchedcode.bin, it results in Windows 8 crashing on bootup and restarting too.

Am I missing something here? any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read something about forcing an AHCI driver update in Windows beforehand, I'm not sure exactly what to do here as I can't find the steps, could this be the culprit?

Thanks.

EDIT: Got it working, and it was because I hadn't forced the driver update before patching the MBR.

Go into device manager, select the SATA device and change the driver to 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller', then boot into the OSX startup disc and patch the MBR. In the first post in this thread, this step is only for Windows XP... it seems Windows 8 requires it too.

ahmed kamal

ahmed kamal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
dear johnmatrix , what about sleep ? working ? and bootcamp control panel working too ?

thanks .

note : i installed windows 8 x64 rtm in efi mode but bottcamp control panel not working but sleep is ok .

seekigloo

seekigloo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I seem to have encountered a major problem (with my machine as much as anything) after using the script. I have a MacPro 1,1 and bought a sata BD writer. I connected it to the spare sata connectors and it came up fine in OS X but invisible in Win7. I used the script and it found the drive after a reboot.

However I have a serious problem. When I tired to boot back to OS X using the bootcamp control panel it reboots straight to windows. If I try to open the control panel proper it tells me I may not have access rights to do so. I tried using the 'OPTION' key during boot-up to select boot disk but as I use a 'non-officially supported' graphics card I don't see anything at all to let me select the correct partition. My last resort was to try and boot of the last OS X DVD ROM I have but that just got spat back out at me. I can see the OS X boot disk in windows.

My next stage is to reset PRAM and see if that makes a difference but if that doesn't work I'm seriously stumped. Help/advice would be most welcome.

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

I seem to have encountered a major problem (with my machine as much as anything) after using the script. I have a MacPro 1,1 and bought a sata BD writer. I connected it to the spare sata connectors and it came up fine in OS X but invisible in Win7. I used the script and it found the drive after a reboot.

However I have a serious problem. When I tired to boot back to OS X using the bootcamp control panel it reboots straight to windows. If I try to open the control panel proper it tells me I may not have access rights to do so. I tried using the 'OPTION' key during boot-up to select boot disk but as I use a 'non-officially supported' graphics card I don't see anything at all to let me select the correct partition. My last resort was to try and boot of the last OS X DVD ROM I have but that just got spat back out at me. I can see the OS X boot disk in windows.

My next stage is to reset PRAM and see if that makes a difference but if that doesn't work I'm seriously stumped. Help/advice would be most welcome.

It has been mentioned several times in this thread that it disables the boot camp control panel.
I would either do some blind guessing via the option key and write down how many arrows left/right it takes to boot whichever OS you want or do what I do and keep the original Mac graphics card in slot 1 and put the windows card in slot 2 then during boot you have video out via the Mac card. You might also try using a dvi to VGA adapter with your current card as I thought I recalled reading that some of them had output. Also as noted in this thread several times the 2 unused SATA ports work fine in osx but are disabled in windows. This is 50% of the reason this modification exists.

seekigloo

seekigloo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I managed to get back to OS X using the PRAM reset and the OS X install disc. Lucky me. Don't know if I feel brave enough to get back into windows now lol. There are a couple of problems that I still need to address, probably one is to see if there is a 3rd party windows app for selecting the OS X boot disk. I had tried the various fixes for the control panel that people were saying worked but nothing happened for me at all, that's why I was getting a little worried.

I'd love to have the 2nd graphics card in the MP, however I don't have enough of the 6 pin molex connectors for both as my current card eats them all up.

Maybe I should just get a new MP as all the optical drives are SATA and the only real reason I needed the AHCI issue resolved was so that the BD drive was active in windows...

Thanks for the script and everything though, I'm certainly not ungrateful for that.

seekigloo

seekigloo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm, I wonder if my problem is the following:-

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
2 409640 123775847 Mac OS X HFS+
3 123775848 125045383 Mac OS X Boot

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 125045423 ee EFI Protective

MBR contents:
Boot Code: None

Partition at LBA 40:
Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
File System: FAT32
Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 123775848:
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Mac OS X Boot

I'm guessing it isn't right.

lalithkr

lalithkr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Successfully Enabled AHCI on MacPro Eight-core 2009 Nephalem (MacPro 4,1) running bootcamp and Windows 7 64bit.

Processors: 2.26Ghz Quadcore Xeon (Eightcore)
Chipset: Intel ICH1010R SATA AHCI controller

Successfully updated Standard AHCI 1.0 Driver to Intel ICH1010R SATA AHCI controller driver.

Enabled AHCI in Windows 7 64bit using the regedit method. / microsoft fix method
Used AHCI Enabler.dmg by Johnsocks (thanks) in OSX. (Make sure to disconnect all other NTFS drives other than the BOOTCAMP one.)

Then downloaded Intel ICH10 family AHCI drivers / Intel Matrix Storage Manger for the chipset.
This updates the Standard AHCI 1.0 driver to the Intel driver.

Good to go.

Hopefully this helps/confirms/saves time to anybody trying to do this for this configuration.

Thanks again to everyone involved. Helped solve some pro audio related issues when dealing with large track counts.

glocker_1

glocker_1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Mid2010 MacPro (5,1) running Lion, Bootcamp4, and Win7-64. I followed all the regedit steps and was able to use AHCI Enabler to patch my MBR. I was able to get one of my two ICH10 controllers to update to the ICH10R AHCI drivers. However, the other Intel controller is still just ICH10 with the PATA drivers. So my two DVD drives and my first two hard drives (HD slots 0 and 1) are now sata/ahci. However the last two hard drives (HD slots 3 and 4) are still "IDE" drives.

Any ideas on how to get the second controller to update also?

thanks,

dave
Attached File  10R devices.jpg   39.3KB   16 downloads

Attached File  disks.JPG   14.86KB   13 downloads

Attached File  controllers.JPG   17.59KB   13 downloads

mrhaugland

mrhaugland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I got my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD a this week, and installed Win8 via Bootcamp 5. Thereby I enabled ACHI using this guide. Only I didn`t find the listed subkey, so I changed the ones under instead:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\
Locate the Error Control entry which should have a value of 3. Right-click on the entry name, select Modify, change the value from 3 to 0 and click OK.

Everything worked alright, and Samsung Magician shows that ACHI is enabled.

However, as a lot of the posters here, my computers freezes after being in sleepmode. Its just stuck on the picture you have to press enter to get rid off in order to enter password (except the clock and date isn`t showing). A couple of times the computer BSOD`s. The only thing working is moving the mouse arrow around.

I have tried both Standard ACHI drivers and Intels drivers, same result with both of them.

I am sorry if someone has postet the answer to this before, I have briefed trough the forum post, unable to find anything.

I am on a MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010, running Intel C2D 2,4Ghz.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy