The OS X of the linux world is out.........

snakeeyes

92 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. I installed Opensuse 11 on my PC,and i love it. I think,it's the best Linux distro( maybe except Slackware) But the only think i don't like it,are the fonts ( specially on Mozilla Firefox,and that's the same on every Linux distro) I installed Freetype 2 ,it's much better than default,but when i browse the Internet ,after 2-3 hours i have the feeling,i need glasses. The brightness/contrast are very strange,i tryed to fix it from "nvidia-settings" as root,of course,but is still a weird brightness and contrast.Could that be a problem by the graphic driver ?? Do you know some "tricks" how to fix the fonts /brightness /contrast / to see them very similar like in XP / VISTA / MAC OS X ? Thanks in advance.

I haven't noticed anything unusual. Until a couple of releases ago I would have agreed with you, the fonts were awful, but now they look OK to me. I moved back to Firefox 2, you can grab the RPMs from here:

ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositor.../openSUSE_11.0/

Which graphics card do you have? And which monitor?

Thanks for the quick reply,Alessandro. I have Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS -ASUS 512 mb,and the monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 2032 BW. I installed the driver from here:http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA the first-green one. What about this ? : NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1.run ?? Which is better? What's the difference,actually?I can se,when i open My Computer,down to the right,that i have 3D ennabled. Do you think,i should try to fix it from the monitor buttons,too??

Thanks for the quick reply,Alessandro. I have Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS -ASUS 512 mb,and the monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 2032 BW. I installed the driver from here:http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA the first-green one. What about this ? : NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1.run ?? Which is better? What's the difference,actually?I can se,when i open My Computer,down to the right,that i have 3D ennabled. Do you think,i should try to fix it from the monitor buttons,too??

You have a good card and a good monitor (similar to mine), thus there should be no problem there.

There isn't much difference between the 2 drivers. The main one is, AFAIK, that if there is a kernel update you don't need to reinstall the driver.

Yes, trying to fix things from the monitor buttons is definitely a good idea.

I tryied with Microsoft fonst,as well. It's better than default fonts.But anyway,i don't know,it's a weird brightness and contrast. For example : when i type (in Mozilla ) www.example.com ,okay?The letters are very very different like Windows /Mac OS / I tryied to set the fonts,from control center/fonts / general-menu/or whatever,set them BLUR,but they are to thick,and that's not pretty good. I would be the happyest person in the world,if i could have in Opensuse,the same fonts / image/ cleartype quality,like in Windows. :D Can you attache some screenshots,from your mozilla websites,please?

Thanks again,Alessandro. I did everything is possible,and i think i'm ok now. I fixed the sub-pixel hinting(anti-alias),same like in the link you gave it to me,and it's looks better.Can you tell me (if it's possible) how can i make it,when i open for example, Mozilla ,Pidgin,Control Center, down in the taskbar they are very very close,i mean,there is no space between them. Is there a possibility to fix that?

Thanks again,Alessandro. I did everything is possible,and i think i'm ok now. I fixed the sub-pixel hinting(anti-alias),same like in the link you gave it to me,and it's looks better.Can you tell me (if it's possible) how can i make it,when i open for example, Mozilla ,Pidgin,Control Center, down in the taskbar they are very very close,i mean,there is no space between them. Is there a possibility to fix that?

I am terribly sorry, to be perfectly honest I don't know.

Yeah well if I ever download it, I will wait until more people have finished downloading and the ratio gets a bit better

Why not download from a direct link of their site?

I know it is possible, my rate was 256-260KB /PS, and with my 2MB PS thats as fast it goes.

But it is far better than 64KB PS :)

===EDIT===

What I hate about OpenSuSE is that you can't run the LiveCD with 256MB RAM, I don't know about if it is running on 256MB RAM when not in LiveCD, but I cant install using a BASH shell...

Why not download from a direct link of their site?

I know it is possible, my rate was 256-260KB /PS, and with my 2MB PS thats as fast it goes.

But it is far better than 64KB PS ;)

===EDIT===

What I hate about OpenSuSE is that you can't run the LiveCD with 256MB RAM, I don't know about if it is running on 256MB RAM when not in LiveCD, but I cant install using a BASH shell...

Live CDs always take more memory to run than the actual OS, since memory is needed for swapping and such (you can't write to a CD). For example: you need 192MB to install Xubuntu from a Live CD, but you can use the alternate character-based command line installer with only 64MB of memory.

I tried it with KDE 4.1 RC1. My God, it was amazing.

My only real gripe is that it doesn't like my ATI Radeon x800 XL card. Luckily I'll be getting an Nvidia card on Wednesday, meaning that I'll be able to also get QE in my OSX86 installation. And I'll finally be happy!

OpenSUSE 11.0 is really nice, though. The KDE4 version is insanely stable, and looks great. I can't wait to see them package Qt4 apps to replace the Qt3 ones, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the DVD's on overnight download schedule so I can try this out. I currently have 2 Ubuntu boxes that I am looking to update - one is a desktop for the kids to use and one is my MythTV machine. The Myth machine currently runs MythBuntu which , quite frankly, is rubbish and bug ridden. If all goes well, by the end of this week both machines should be running OpenSuse 11!

Cheers

Bruce