[HOW TO] Seamless upgrade from 10.4.x to 10.4.11 + Security Patches

obijohn

59 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Backup went ok without any problems. Updated to 10.4.11, ran the restore script BEFORE restarting the system, now the video display to totally corrupted. Have to work out how to get it back before can report if there is any other problems with the update

Backup went ok without any problems. Updated to 10.4.11, ran the restore script BEFORE restarting the system, now the video display to totally corrupted. Have to work out how to get it back before can report if there is any other problems with the update

UPDATE!! Reinstalled ATI video drivers in single mode. Managed to get OSX booted back up but lost QE & CI functions. Also machine reboots when i click 'About This Mac'. Ran the restore script again, this time no reboots when clicking on 'About this Mac'.

Had to go back to 10.4.8 because I messed around with my machine too much trying to get ATI video drivers to work properly.

Edit.....UPDATE!!!

Had another go at trying to update to 10.4.11 over the weekend and it worked after some gentle persuasion by me lol

Firstly i downloaded 10.4.11 (Intel) from the mac site and it would not allow me to install onto my hard drive so i downloaded 10.4.11 combo (Intel) and this one worked. I had carried out the instructions as set out by the OP only this time when i ran the restore script it said it could not find SC directory in the folder Shared. I ignored this and rebooted the system. Firstly while the waiting icon was rotating the machine automatically rebooted so i waited again for the machine to boot properly and low and behold the graphics was corrupted again. So I manually powered down the machine and rebooted into single user mode and reinstalled my ATI video drivers. This time the graphics display was working fine. I clicked on 'About This Mac' because i had read from other forum posts that the machine can appear to reboot the graphics display and guess what, it did just that, clicked it and the screen appeared to refresh itself. So i went into Terminal to run the restore script again and then rebooted the machine. This time clicking on 'About This Mac' works fine.

Had a few teething problems but many thanks to the OP :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the the info, worked almost perfectly on my Pentium M 1,7 Ghz (SSE2).

it even backed up my ATI 9600 drivers, which worked again after replacing the OpenGL.framework :-)

I directly updated from JaS 10.4.8 to 10.4.11 using the combo update from Apple, and then applied the SecurityPatch 2008-006 with your method, worked :(

Now I'm updating iTunes, Quicktime, Safari and so on :)

Thanks again!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried using this with the SambaFix_for_10.4.6.pkg.dmg and it did not work. Did not get any error messages when making the back up nor restoring.

I'm on JAs 10.4.6 trying to update to 10.4.11 using the software update. The update did install, but when booting up the system, I get stuck on the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning circle.

I had carried out the instructions as set out by the OP [...] and behold the graphics was corrupted again. So I manually powered down the machine and rebooted into single user mode and reinstalled my ATI video drivers. This time the graphics display was working fine. I clicked on 'About This Mac' because i had read from other forum posts that the machine can appear to reboot the graphics display and guess what, it did just that, clicked it and the screen appeared to refresh itself. So i went into Terminal to run the restore script again and then rebooted the machine. This time clicking on 'About This Mac' works fine.

Had a few teething problems but many thanks to the OP :D

Yatta! I was in the exact same situation but OP + post #30 have been lifesavers. :)

After update (10.4.8 - 10.4.11) I reinstalled video drivers, rebooted with -F, re-run the restore script, rebooted with -F once more and all was fine again. Didn't try the Samba thing, but I really don't need it anyway.

Hardware:

- PB Easynote R8719

- Celeron M 1.3 Ghz / 1.25 GB DDR333

- Ati Mobility Radeon 9700 64 MB

- Belkin F5D7050 USB WiFi with RT73 chipset

So far, so good. :D

• 2 weeks later...

i am having a problem upgrading.

I did all the steps exactly I ran the backup script perfectly ran the system update but when I run the restore script it runs a couple processes and freezes on restoring permissions.

I left it the whole night to see if it was just taking long but it did not budge. as soon as i quit the terminalapp the whole computer just bugs out and i get the nonstop beach ball I cant do anything.

since I did the back up is it possible to run the restore script from terminal on the cd? or maybe remotely?

please help.

EDIT: I tried removing the repair permissions section of the script it allowed it to finish but the computer would freeze if I tried to open disc utillity I was able to repair permissions through the disk utilliy on the install disc but it would not boot..

any help will be greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

okay I have kinda a weird problem....everything goes fine til right near the end of the update, at this point I don't get a reboot option everything on the screen just disappears except the top bar and none of the menu's are clickable in that, is it possible that this is because I'm running an AMD?

okay I have kinda a weird problem....everything goes fine til right near the end of the update, at this point I don't get a reboot option everything on the screen just disappears except the top bar and none of the menu's are clickable in that, is it possible that this is because I'm running an AMD?

Yes, it kills your OSX, you need to backup /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework from working System and put it back with all Updates installed.

• 4 weeks later...

Your solution works elegantly on a virtual machine!

10.4.10 VMWare Appliance updated to 10.4.11:

Made backup and restore scripts -> Ran backup -> Ran 10.4.11 update (after the update it said it didn't update properly/completely; asked me to redo update: I didn't) -> Ran restore -> Restarted!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much obijohn! I just did updated to 10.4.11 from Jas 10.4.8 using your scripts and stated process. It went very smooth. The first reboot took a little well and I guess it was rebuilding the system and it rebooted again into the OS. Just downloaded security update 2008-007 but haven't install it yet. Anyone has successfully installed the security update 007 or 008?

my update wend fine too

buti havnt install the the security update as yet but pls tell me if it went smooth for you

i must say that hackintouch runs smoother than my WINXP thats a shame microsoft need to do better, mac even boot faster and the only thing i miss about my XP is some of myprogram like FL-Studio and Nero  if any1 know where i can get any of thest Program pls send me the link

Thanks obijohn :star_smile::thumbsup_anim::2cents:

Hi,

tried your method following your guide step by step after i read all of the positive experiences with your method. so far everything worked great up to the point of restart.

tiger now boots to the grey display with the apple in the middle and the circle spinning under it and no further. the cycle keeps spinning as long as i keep the pc on.

i still have the sys_backup on an usb flash drive as you wrote in your howto. is there any way to downgrade to 10.4.8 without formatting because i spent the last the days and nights in front of the pc and dont feel like going through all of that again ;)

Please help!! Thank you

My Specs:

CPU: P4 2,6GHz

RAM: 1200MB

MoBo: MSI MS-6701

VGA: NVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200

Chip: SIS 648

HDD: 120GB

Works like a charm in Tiger to update to 10.4.11! Tried it on one install of 10.5.4 to update with the scripts to 10.5.6 using Combo updater to 10.5.6 but did NOT work. First thing I noted was that you have to update from the downloaded updater on your install because if you use the update via Updater, it will not let you run the scripts! I tried doing it with the downloaded updater but still failed to get it to work.

Can anyone explain the script commands? What is [! ] ? in the if command? What are the -d and -f commands related to the ! in the if statements? Thanks very much!

hey .... ive done it and it works great !!!!! i'm glad to get help from you .... and now new macos 10.4.11 !

thank you very much for writing the shell scripts an help such a noob like me , thank you !

one question does it work with leopard ???

great work !

sincerly

dornkaat

• 1 month later...

Thank you REALLY much! This helped me so much!

I tried - i think - everythink before, but none of methods worked for me. I tried backup kernel, whole Extensions and Frameworks directory, restore it before restart, but nope.. Until now, your script is brilliant - I dont know, that I forgot backup before, but now its ok.

JaS 10.4.8 > 10.4.11 .. everythink ok. ntb booted and restarted after apple boot screen (whah, i was scared, that it was damn broken again), but after reboot + parameters -v -f it booted normally to the system (i writing you now from it; from fresh 10.4.11 ;-) ).