[Guide] Triple or quad monitors with two graphic cards

peach-os

203 posts in this topic

ok i just killed natit and this is what i get

this one will work with the 8800gts right?

http://cgi.ebay.de/MSI-NVIDIA-GeForce-NX-7...bayphotohosting

try to communicate with a little more precision :)

does it mean you installed the ATI single,removed natit and this is the result?

do you mean that this card could work better instead of the ATI?

a good trick is to check it inside EFIstudio. If you find this gfx card there you´re sure you have one working plist file for this card at least

No modern ATI card works with graphic strings. I know that you will see various postings & tools like EFI Studio that appear to support e.g. ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT but be none of them work. In fact there is no way using EFI strings or injectors to get two modern ATI cards (2xxx, 3xxx or 4xxx) working together at all. You should stick to Nvidia cards which as the posts above show are very easy to get working with either EFI strings or an injector.

still using strings. that´s not guaranteed that this will give you the solution.

here the same board with retail, two video cards running 100% without any problems on 10.5.5.

we only share experiences :(

Yes, I know that, peach-os, you're right.

By the way, I installed the Retail DVD... now trying to do the "EFI Partition" work as a bootloader.

Next step will be editing com.apple.boot.plist file with GFX strings... let's see what happens.

Thanks.

No modern ATI card works with graphic strings. I know that you will see various postings & tools like EFI Studio that appear to support e.g. ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT but be none of them work. In fact there is no way using EFI strings or injectors to get two modern ATI cards (2xxx, 3xxx or 4xxx) working together at all. You should stick to Nvidia cards which as the posts above show are very easy to get working with either EFI strings or an injector.

I´m pretty sure you´re right. I never tried ATI cards on my systems.

what confirms that fact, is that the most cases it didn´t work yet, people tried to do it with ATI cards.

peach-os

I finished the installation process:

- Running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail

- Booting from the hidden EFI partition

- USB, Firewire, restart, shutdown, everything working fine

And the most intersting (for this thread):

- My TWO 8600GTS WORKING AND RECOGNIZED WITHOUT GFX/EFI STRINGS OR ANY KEXT EDITING!!!

It's working using ONLY the NVkush.kext included in the "generic.iso" from BOOT-132.

But (there's always a but) I have no Quartz Extreme :)

Do you know somehow to enable QE?

Thanks

peach-os

I finished the installation process:

- Running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail

- Booting from the hidden EFI partition

- USB, Firewire, restart, shutdown, everything working fine

And the most intersting (for this thread):

- My TWO 8600GTS WORKING AND RECOGNIZED WITHOUT GFX/EFI STRINGS OR ANY KEXT EDITING!!!

It's working using ONLY the NVkush.kext included in the "generic.iso" from BOOT-132.

But (there's always a but) I have no Quartz Extreme :o

Do you know somehow to enable QE?

Thanks

try nvinject 0.1.5 also

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=996640

strings will bring you the solution ;)

What would be best, to use two different cards or two of the same? I have one GA 7300 gs 256 mb and two same brand "noname" chinese 7300gs 512 mb cards. I´m giving one of my quadcore hacks away for christmas so I´m trying to figure out which videocard to keep. Obviously one would think it´s best with two of the same but I just thought I should ask to make sure I´m going for the best combination of videocards. These cheap chinese 7300gs 512 mb videocards I posted a link to in one of my earlier replys work really good.

What would be best, to use two different cards or two of the same? I have one GA 7300 gs 256 mb and two same brand "noname" chinese 7300gs 512 mb cards. I´m giving one of my quadcore hacks away for christmas so I´m trying to figure out which videocard to keep. Obviously one would think it´s best with two of the same but I just thought I should ask to make sure I´m going for the best combination of videocards. These cheap chinese 7300gs 512 mb videocards I posted a link to in one of my earlier replys work really good.

I would suggest the two with 512mb - but it depends on which combination is working. with my two 7300GT´s I had a funny experience. they didn´t work with the same plist file. took two different files that I found for the 7300GT - et voilà. also the GS plist might work for the GT - and vice versa.

try the plists always first on the single cards in the same slots you will use later on.

that might be a hint if the both identic cards don´t work immediately - but you have to do trial and error

The 7300gs 512mb videocard came today, about a week deliverytime from Honkong to Scandinavia man that´s good. Put it in the second slot (pcie*8) my GA EP45-Ds3 mobo fired up the computer and voila two cards working with just my Nvinject.kext. no Plist tweaking no nothing at all, it´s just fantastic. I can really recommend these cards and they´re cheap to.

I have only checked with one monitor connected to each card but I will test some more. What I´ve noticed so far is that it seems to be depending on which card you have your dvi connected which will become your primary and secondary monitor.

I´ll be back with some more info on how it goes and if it´s all succes maby a shortcut for guys with my gear could be to use my Nvinject.kext

Both cards work ok, four monitors working. Seems the dvi port on the second card becomes first port so I´m going to check out if I can edit the kext to get first card as primary with dvi as its first and vga as second port. Hopefully the second card will adapt to the same, it might not be important though cause all you need to do is to switch monitor cabels and possibly rearange your monitors.

By the way does anybody know how to change vram in a kext? They show as only 64 mb but the cards are 512 mb, maby it´s just what it says and the cards still work as 512 mb?

Yes it came to my mind about editing the Plist that´s what I did when I first edited this kext to work with dual displays and QE. It´s strange though cause when I did that it says VRAM is 771 mb and on both cards I have only a Pcie bandwith *8 but they seem to work good anyway. I´ll take a look at it once christmas is over and come back here again. These cards are cheap, works good and pretty much work out of the box with this Nvinject.kext if you have the GAEP45-DS3 and run retail Leo 10.5.5 and Chameleon.

hey,

its me again, i have an 8500gt 256 now with my 8800gts, got the hex out of 2 working plists...

no luck, i get a kernel panic, my plist is attached

so far I can´t detect any mistake in your plist. did you try switching the PEG in bios?

I´m pretty sure you´re right. I never tried ATI cards on my systems.

what confirms that fact, is that the most cases it didn´t work yet, people tried to do it with ATI cards.

is this true???

i have an hd2400xt running with efi strings on 10.5.5 with full qe and ci on a p35ds4...

i also have another one which works perfectly in the other slot..(both work seperately with a merged dual string in place)

they are both 256mb pcie 94c1s,, BUT.....

when i run them both together,,,,i get one working perfectly,,,and the other recognised but with 'no displays attached'

is this a dead end? or can it be done....

i find it hard to believe that they both work flawlessly,, but not together.

is this true???

i have an hd2400xt running with efi strings on 10.5.5 with full qe and ci on a p35ds4...

i also have another one which works perfectly in the other slot..(both work seperately with a merged dual string in place)

they are both 256mb pcie 94c1s,, BUT.....

when i run them both together,,,,i get one working perfectly,,,and the other recognised but with 'no displays attached'

is this a dead end? or can it be done....

i find it hard to believe that they both work flawlessly,, but not together.

it must not be a dead end. try to find different plists. send me your last one - maybe .....who knows? ;)

These cards work good check out the video, first in the list 7300gs 512 mb

th_Film3.jpg

http://stores.ebay.com/Small-HK-Store

cool clip starobrno! the card is fanless, what is perfect for a DAW. only thing I missed in the video was the creator of it........sitting laid back with a czech beer :angel:

@steenamaroo

here are some examples for different ati 2400 plist files ati_2400_plists.zip

Thanks Peach-os, I´m pretty much like Superman I can´t let you guys know my real indentity :thumbsup_anim: .

Strange though with the vram cause when I edit the total ramsize to 512mb in the plist of this NVvinject (I found in a package from MysticousC a year ago or so and editeted to get dual display and QE) it says 771mb instead of 512mb in the systemprofiler. Maby it does´nt matter could be it works as it should anyway.? It seems the cards work ok. I don´t know these things so any tips would be great.

Thanks Peach-os, I´m pretty much like Superman I can´t let you guys know my real indentity :thumbsup_anim: .

Strange though with the vram cause when I edit the total ramsize to 512mb in the plist of this NVvinject (I found in a package from MysticousC a year ago or so and editeted to get dual display and QE) it says 771mb instead of 512mb in the systemprofiler. Maby it does´nt matter could be it works as it should anyway.? It seems the cards work ok. I don´t know these things so any tips would be great.

ok clark :thumbsup_anim:

I guess that this could be also a problem of SMBios. if it works correctly: enjoy - it´s only cosmetics

thanks very much for that peach,,,,i'll try those out tomorrow and see how it goes,,,,

although, i notice in the first one, references to Iago?

my only success was by changing all instances to Megalodon....

anyways, i'll try them out as is, and see what the score is,

thanks again!!!