Torque's Ultimate Mod, NOW FULL ATX!

TorqueX86

106 posts in this topic

hello torquex86 and everyone else. I'm working on my second g5 case mod and i would like to get rid of needless cable clutter as well. Torquex86 could you post a detailed pic of how you connect old ribbon cable to power supply and or sata drives?

edit: i now see that you are only using the ribbon cable from ide for the front port it looks like.

Try using flat cables, they are much easier to manage. You can get plenty by vandalising old IDE ribbon cables... Easy!

Thats a genius idea! I never noticed that's what you used in your mods. I thought it was just some special cables that you bought. Thank you for your help Torque! I will post pics when i rewire :(

hello torquex86 and everyone else. I'm working on my second g5 case mod and i would like to get rid of needless cable clutter as well. Torquex86 could you post a detailed pic of how you connect old ribbon cable to power supply and or sata drives?

Just cut up the ide ribbon cable, strip the wires, and then solder to what you need :) I'm not sure about the power supply though. For the sata drive just use a normal sata drive cable.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I rewired so it wasn't so disgustingly cluttered, kudos to Torque for the tip. Also is a close up pic of the back panel ports for those interested.

post-46630-1222627272_thumb.jpg post-46630-1222627423_thumb.jpg

Whoops forgot to post final pic of wiring with everything put back together :(

Edit: Here are the final pics.

post-46630-1222635326_thumb.jpg post-46630-1222635434_thumb.jpg

OK! Ready to close the monster!

Here's a pic showing the new insides, MUCH cleaner and zero cable clutter now!

USB Hub now has been placed close to the power supply, and the firewire hub is well visible under where the RAID plate will be.

Enjoy! Tomorrow the final pictures!

post-64487-1222952892_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone!

Here is the power supply block (an Enermax Liberty 650W) with the reworked internal ports. All have been kept: the 2 LAN, digital in and out, firewire, firewire800, usb, sound.

powersupply.jpg

And here is an initial mak up to see the spaces and define the future modifications to do:

firstmakeup.jpg

Then it was time to clean up the inside fo the case, cut the wires so that they would be comfortable to attach to the motherboard, and rationalise the entire internal disposition.

There are 2 hubs, an USB and a Firewire one, that will keep the cable clutter away by managing all the internal wires smartly.

empty.jpg

Finally it's starting to take shape! Here is how the reworked ports look like fron the inside:

internalshot.jpg

And here's some pure geek love:

internaldetail.jpg

Here are the ports, all fully functional:

ports.jpg

Also the internal case antenna is functional of course, connected to a broadcom Mini PCI internally, and seen as Airport.

cards.jpg

Here's my baby! Quite the sweat to build it, but paid off at the end!

oklol.jpg

:)

got enough silicon on the back there? nice to see it hidden under some more {censored}....

Something is wrong? If it hurts to see it, change channel, uh. And it is not silicone, it is heat glue, I'll try next time to keep the connectors firm just with my super powers! Quite anxious to see your 8 core mod, I'm sure it will be amazing.

btw... wheres the pics of the the space in front of the mobo?

Hey, what is this gestapo attitude? I just posted the pics of my case mod, what is the problem with that?

/me perplexed.

About the cooling of you PSU, previously I can see the original fan on top of the PSU and in the front of the case a double fans which blows to the back the warm air flew from the PSU. On the last pix, the PSU is cover by a metal plate. My question is how do you cool the PSU now ?

The rail for holding the female connectors is a good idea, you don't attack the case, and have the access to make it clean..

I'll borrow your method If I have time :censored2:

Just assembled my G5 Osx86, but it's a mess inside and the ports are on the PCI back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Torque. Awesome workmanship. I'm about to start my G5 mod this week and plan to leave the back of the case intact. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the community.

A few questions:

1. What connectors did you remove from mobo?
  2. What tray did you use?
  3. What changes did you make to the PSU? I'm considering getting the same one. Do you have any close ups of the changes?
  4. I have the original G5 mobo. Can I remove the FW800 and other ports and reuse them?

Thanks again.

Hi Torque. Awesome workmanship. I'm about to start my G5 mod this week and plan to leave the back of the case intact. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the community.

A few questions:

1. What connectors did you remove from mobo?
  2. What tray did you use?
  3. What changes did you make to the PSU? I'm considering getting the same one. Do you have any close ups of the changes?
  4. I have the original G5 mobo. Can I remove the FW800 and other ports and reuse them?

Thanks again.

Hello and thanks ^^

- I didn't actualy need to remove anything, but I did remove the audio ons for the sake of it and to ease the audio in and out connection. It wasn't strictly necessary though.

- I made it myself

- I didn't really change anything, just be sure to keep the ferrite ring close to the main unit if you want to avoid electrical noise

- Sawing off the original ports of a genuine motherboard would be a GREAT thing... Try it out and become my new hero ;)

You could cut off the whole mother board border where the ports are, that way they will be perfectly solid, aligned and original...

Great idea Pirloui! I'm off to get a Dremmel.

Torque: I found the Liberty power supply but it is a 620W model (DXX ELT620AWT). Is that the same as yours?

You could cut off the whole mother board border where the ports are, that way they will be perfectly solid, aligned and original...

I am looking for a while for a non working original G5 Mobo to reuse the back connections. :(

I've scanned the ports area of the mobo, both top and bottom. I've highlighted areas of interest. How to I go identifying the correct pin outs?

Project finally starts tomorrow when I get the mobo. Can't wait.

Ace! Can't wait to see the results!

I might rework my machine like that too!

Hello, I did it. I used my not working G5 mainboard

You have to remove all the condensators, SMD and resistances near connectors, too.

I suggest you to try with another old mainboard: it's not very easy to solder the little pinouts.

How to I go identifying the correct pin outs?

To identify the correct pinouts you can use a tester, an electronic device like this

testerpx5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Hello, I did it. I used my not working G5 mainboard

You have to remove all the condensators, SMD and resistances near connectors, too.

I suggest you to try with another old mainboard: it's not very easy to solder the little pinouts.

To identify the correct pinouts you can use a tester, an electronic device like this

testerpx5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Why is that ? Just to make more room free around the connectors or to avoid any interferences ?

:rolleyes:

Looks good amd_sony, after seeing your post I went straight to eBay, but no motherboard luck. Would really be nice to avoid the complications of finding and fitting other receptacles / female ports.

I cheated with my G5 case mod. I exposed the back of the case to access the mobo ports [pics forthcoming]. Let me know if you'd like me to send you the G5 mobo.