105 replies to this topic

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
As promised, here's the visual update.

Pic n.1 is the new rework of the audio analogue I/O, this way there's a LOT more space for the rear ports to breathe.

Pic n.2 is the new firewire and USB2 hub hidden in the power supply area.

Pic n.3 shows how less cluttered the area behind the motherboard now is, and those wires will also soon disappear!

Enjoy, some more pics very soon!

Attached Files

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
Nicely done for the usb/firewire internal hub!!
Waow! The internal cables mess is being cleaned too. :moil:

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Wow thats amazing work torque! Great job! I wish i could make my mod as clean as yours! :D

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Coding, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Video Games
same here, yours is way too clean, cant even tell if it is connected

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Here's my latest victim:

I ripped the guts of a SAS HD box, and adapted it inside my case. It will later on be connected to some raid card, most likely to be a Highpoint connected to 4x SSD in RAID0

Moreover, the cable clutter is now gone :o the motherboard sits in and slips out really easily now.

I also added an extra PCI-E GFX power cable, courtesy of my good buddy Roberto, for future upgrades.

Anyway, here is the SATA board, soon more pics:

Attached Files

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Here's my latest victim:

I ripped the guts of a SAS HD box, and adapted it inside my case. It will later on be connected to some raid card, most likely to be a Highpoint connected to 4x SSD in RAID0

Moreover, the cable clutter is now gone :) the motherboard sits in and slips out really easily now.

I also added an extra PCI-E GFX power cable, courtesy of my good buddy Roberto, for future upgrades.

Anyway, here is the SATA board, soon more pics:

Waouh, you lost me here TorqueX86, this too hightech . I cannot follow anymore... ;)
Congratz for the cable clutter disapearance.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Waouh, you lost me here TorqueX86, this too hightech . I cannot follow anymore... ^_^
Congratz for the cable clutter disapearance.

I'll explain with some more pictures ASAP :-)

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hey torque! where did you get the FW800 Receptacle from? Thanks
~bmxer55

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Hey torque! where did you get the FW800 Receptacle from? Thanks
~bmxer55

From eBay as explained @post 1 : Here is the receptacle. It was REALLY difficult to find it, therefore I bought on eBay a cheap second hand Sonnet card and happily vandalised it :D

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Phew, the USB+FW hub blew up :)
Replacing it with 2 separate hubs, I think it will be finished by the end of the week... Stick around :hysterical:

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
UPDATE

Decided to ditch the Micro ATX format and go full!

More pics soon, read my signature to see the monster that is dwelling int he guts of my Fluff Pro now :)

HacOSXuser

HacOSXuser

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
pics pics pics pics pics pics pics!

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
New Pics!

As I said, I am totally reworking my baby to (finally!!!!) host a full ATX board. Gone is the grief looking for an expandable and feature rich motherboard.. I have all I need now! *grin*

Here are the pics of the reworked, more compact and cable-clutter free Power Supply and the a pic of the brand new slurpalicious X48 motherboard sitting in his comfortable and spacious aluminium throne :(

Enjoy

Attached Files

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

As I said, I am totally reworking my baby to (finally!!!!) host a full ATX board. Gone is the grief looking for an expandable and feature rich motherboard.. I have all I need now! *grin*

Nice Torque!! I like it! Decided to go full ATX like me? I knew you would haha jk! :) I like how yours is SOO much cleaner than mine though!! I can't wait to see pictures when it's completely finished! Keep updates of your progress! I've been working on mine to try and clear up the cable clutter. Its taking me a while but its finally looks a little bit under control in there :)

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Nice Torque!! I like it! Decided to go full ATX like me? I knew you would haha jk! :) I like how yours is SOO much cleaner than mine though!! I can't wait to see pictures when it's completely finished! Keep updates of your progress! I've been working on mine to try and clear up the cable clutter. Its taking me a while but its finally looks a little bit under control in there :)

Try using flat cables, they are much easier to manage. You can get plenty by vandalising old IDE ribbon cables... Easy!

onemanstrash

onemanstrash

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
hello torquex86 and everyone else. I'm working on my second g5 case mod and i would like to get rid of needless cable clutter as well. Torquex86 could you post a detailed pic of how you connect old ribbon cable to power supply and or sata drives?

edit: i now see that you are only using the ribbon cable from ide for the front port it looks like.

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Try using flat cables, they are much easier to manage. You can get plenty by vandalising old IDE ribbon cables... Easy!

Thats a genius idea! I never noticed that's what you used in your mods. I thought it was just some special cables that you bought. Thank you for your help Torque! I will post pics when i rewire :(

hello torquex86 and everyone else. I'm working on my second g5 case mod and i would like to get rid of needless cable clutter as well. Torquex86 could you post a detailed pic of how you connect old ribbon cable to power supply and or sata drives?

Just cut up the ide ribbon cable, strip the wires, and then solder to what you need :) I'm not sure about the power supply though. For the sata drive just use a normal sata drive cable.

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
UPDATE:
I rewired so it wasn't so disgustingly cluttered, kudos to Torque for the tip. Also is a close up pic of the back panel ports for those interested.

Attached File  0922082035_00.jpg   166.46KB   204 downloads Attached File  0922081851_00.jpg   161.05KB   277 downloads

Whoops forgot to post final pic of wiring with everything put back together :(

Edit: Here are the final pics.
Attached File  0928081418_00.jpg   156.31KB   205 downloads Attached File  0928081438_01.jpg   344.08KB   201 downloads

MacBookJoe

MacBookJoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Thats looking pretty ace... I'm waiting on one of those EFI-X products... UK Distro would be a bonus... a little DFI support wouldnt go amiss either :-p

J.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
OK! Ready to close the monster!

Here's a pic showing the new insides, MUCH cleaner and zero cable clutter now!

USB Hub now has been placed close to the power supply, and the firewire hub is well visible under where the RAID plate will be.

Enjoy! Tomorrow the final pictures!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy