Perfectly Working - 10.6 on ACER ASPIRE ONE A150

Neodymium

64 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I finally got around to posting something meaningful to the forums. I successfully installed Snow Leopard onto my Acer Aspire One A150. Specs and instructions are below:

My specs:

Acer Aspire One A150 Pearl

Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 160GB HDD

Dual Booting (Chameleon RC1) - Leopard (100GB)/Snow (52GB) - GPT - Got Rid of Windows Finally!

Here is how I got around to installing Snow Leopard 10A432 on my Aspire One. I take no credit for the information. I was wandering on Google to find a perfect guide and a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Russian website that had posted most part of these instructions. After battling with Google Translate and Babelfish, I finally was ready to post the instructions. I took a print of the instructions and downloaded the attachments before I started. If I ever find the website again, I will post back here. So without further ado, here we go.

- Installing from a working OS X 10.5.8 on aao-150 (bios 3310) - Partitioning GUID, bootloader pc-efi v10.2 in the EFI partition

1. Mount the original image and run the installation: Find the image from usual sources.

in the terminal type:

open /Volumes/Mac\OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Complete Installation

2. We now have to prepare EFI partition and set the bootloader

unpack the attached archive to your desktop (you can choose other locations, the instructions below assume you unpacked to the desktop)

While in terminal, type the following:

sudo-s

Password

diskutil list

diskXs1 - hidden EFI partition HDD where we will set 10.6

format the EFI partition (Warning: Do not make mistakes with the disks and partitions - I am not responsible for your selections)

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

Now we will put bootloader into the EFI partition

a. cd ~/Desktop/aa1/pc_efi

b. (Please note the period before this command) ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX (rdiskX here is your first drive that the EFI partition resides on)

c. dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

d. mkdir /Volumes/EFI

e. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

f. cp boot_v10.2 /Volumes/EFI/boot

g. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd

h. touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

3. Set extensions (DSDT.aml made for aao150 bios 3310, if you have more hardware than the store version, you will need to make your own DSDT)

a. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra

b. cp ~/Desktop/aa1/plist/*.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

c. cp ~/Desktop/aa1/dsdt/DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra

d. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

e. cp -R ~/Desktop/aa1/kexts/*.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

4. IMPORTANT STEP! BY RULE DO THESE ON THE VOLUME YOU INSTALLED SNOW TO (X MARKS THE SPOT) :P

a. chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

b. chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

c. chmod -R 755 /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions

d. chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions

5. Create caches

a. kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

b. kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions

c. chmod 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext

d. chown root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext

e. chmod 755 /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

f. chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

6. Unmount and remove EFI partition from view

a. umount -f /Volumes/EFI

b. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

7. Reboot! :D

The first boot is pretty long - be patient - keep your hands away from the power button! If you're bored, you can startup with key -v (Verbose), to see what we have going on there <LOL>

You should now hear the startup music and the rest is...well you know already :D

MAINTENANCE ONLY! ONLY DO THIS IF SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING THE WAY IT SHOULD. With Snow I noticed the issue is mostly with permssions and the mkext is finicky.

Fixing rights and rebilding caches

In the terminal type (This is done from within Snow, if you cannot access Snow, you can also do this from Leo, just start adding /Volumes/Leo to the locations below)

a. chown root:wheel /

b.mount the EFI partition

- mkdir /Volumes/EFI

- mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

- kextcache -a i386 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

- kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

- umount-f /Volumes/EFI

- rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

- reboot

*** UPDATED: Used the attached kext to get SD going, still cannot access MMC though - Make sure you follow the maintenance procedure above after installing the kext - My preferred tool is KextHelper ***

I didn't have time to work with the SD reader, I will post an update when I get a chance.

Everything else should work, restart, shutdown, speedstep, calibrating the display, touchpad, automatic switching sound on headphones

As I said, Snow is very finicky to the presence of caches and the proper permissions to files, so that if any kexts give you errors, do not forget to reboot to fix the rights and rebuild caches using the maintenance procedure.

A screenshot of my desktop is attached as well.

OTHER NOTES:

- First startup took me almost 15-20 minutes.

- Wireless is working after I edited the Info.plist for 1395 Broadcom Wireless in the IO80211Family.kext and entered my vendor id (pci14e4,4315)

- Havent tested a lot of other things, but I know one thing for sure, on my A150, Snow flies better than Leopard!!!!!!!!!

- Please PM me if you have any questions.

:angel:**** MIC STILL DOESNT WORK, NOR DOES SLEEP, WORKING ON OTHER KEXTS AVAILABLE OUT THERE, WILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHINGS MYSELF THAN INSTALLING A KEXT **** EXTERNAL DISPLAY IS GARBLED, TEARS AS SOON AS YOU PLUGIN THE CABLE **** ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? ****

Thanks for looking and Good Luck.

UPDATE: 10.6.1 UPDATE APPLIED THROUGH SOFTWARE UPDATE! :D

post-109513-1252475909_thumb.png

aa1.zip

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip

post-109513-1253594005_thumb.png

Hi,

Great job putting those instructions together it (almost ;-) worked on the first try!

Here are my observations on where stuff seems to be going wrong on my system

(In comparison to 10.5.8 which was working reasonably too)

Would be interesting to hear if others have the same issues or if somebody

already found a solution for them.

Power/Speed/Battery

The issues here all seem to be interconnected and related to Speedstep stuff...

1) When running on battery the CPU clock goes to half. (Confirmed with XBench...)

Seems power-managment thinks this is a good idea.... It goes back to full speed

when you plug in the external power supply.

2) Battery runtime seems to be significantly shorter

I used to get 4-5 hours out of a large battery now the display goes down to 3:30 within

minutes (Even at half speed)

3)Service Battery Warning

More a cosmetic annoyance...

4) System seems to go to sleep but never wakes up

Improvement over 10.5.8 as it doesn't crash with a core-dump ;-)

5) System does not go to sleep when lid is closed

But it also doesn't crash. I call that an improvement!!

6) No clue if we are running on two cores or one..

Everywhere it says it's only one core but the system Activity shows two bar-graphs.

From the benchmark it looks that two cores are chewing away... XBench: Battery:21, AC:44

Setting the boot-option CPUS=2 makes no difference...

Card Reader

1) As mentioned before SDHC cards don't work

(Time to start digging into the source code for the JMicron driver. I'll give it a try...

2) Even loading the IOSDHC kext slows down my system/prevents it from booting

(Might be because I had a SDHC card in the slot..)

Microphone

1) Still no sound from the internal microphone

(I guess it's back to the BT headset for skype...)

On the positive side

1) Trackpad working really well

(Now we only need gestures...)

Otherwise it just seems to work. Pretty amazing consider how much Apple changed under the hood.

I'm not sure if the whole SpeedStep/Sleep/Battery area needs a recompiled kernel or if it can be fixed

with loadable drivers (Unfortunately there are a lot of drivers to choose from...)

I will take a look at the kext that where loaded on 10.5.8 to see if those get us anywhere.

Michael

Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately, the step below throws up an error

5. Create caches

a. kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions/Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

It complains about nothing to archive.

:-/

Not sure if that is throwing you off but there's a space missing in the description:

kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions/Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

should be:

kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

Michael

Not sure if that is throwing you off but there's a space missing in the description:

kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions/Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

should be:

kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/x/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/x/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

Michael

Thanks Michael, you are correct, there should be a space before the last '/Volumes...'...too much excitement at getting it running I guess =)

Great guide! Would this also work for an Acer Aspire One 110? Think the only difference is that the 110 has a SSD and not a hard drive?

As long as you have the working kexts from a 10.5.8 installation and building the mkext with the i386 string should work...I havent seen another guide for the 110 however, if I come across it I will post...I used the Golden Master, you can try other versions (10A4xx)..AFAIK, it's either the same performance or better with SSD (no moving parts)...just make sure you partition as GUID...

Jash, the linked guide assumes a generic pc based hardware setup and not a Netbook, I am sure with some fiddling around you can make it work, however, I have tried atleast 10 different methods posted across insanelymac as well as other sites and nothing worked for me except this way...

Just out of curiousity, is any of this doable without a pre-installed version of OSX running? I only have Ubuntu or Windows 7 running and would like to try OSX but the nearest computer I know of running OSX is a 2 hour bus ride away.

Most guides assume you have atleast some access to a pre-installed environment to run the kextcache etc...

There might be guides out there, you have to look for them...AFAIK, I havent seen a guide that will let you install Snow without anything...

I will keep my eyes open though...

Hi,

Great job putting those instructions together it (almost ;-) worked on the first try!

Here are my observations on where stuff seems to be going wrong on my system

(In comparison to 10.5.8 which was working reasonably too)

Would be interesting to hear if others have the same issues or if somebody

already found a solution for them.

Power/Speed/Battery

The issues here all seem to be interconnected and related to Speedstep stuff...

1) When running on battery the CPU clock goes to half. (Confirmed with XBench...)

Seems power-managment thinks this is a good idea.... It goes back to full speed

when you plug in the external power supply.

2) Battery runtime seems to be significantly shorter

I used to get 4-5 hours out of a large battery now the display goes down to 3:30 within

minutes (Even at half speed)

3)Service Battery Warning

More a cosmetic annoyance...

4) System seems to go to sleep but never wakes up

Improvement over 10.5.8 as it doesn't crash with a core-dump ;-)

5) System does not go to sleep when lid is closed

But it also doesn't crash. I call that an improvement!!

6) No clue if we are running on two cores or one..

Everywhere it says it's only one core but the system Activity shows two bar-graphs.

From the benchmark it looks that two cores are chewing away... XBench: Battery:21, AC:44

Setting the boot-option CPUS=2 makes no difference...

Card Reader

1) As mentioned before SDHC cards don't work

(Time to start digging into the source code for the JMicron driver. I'll give it a try...

2) Even loading the IOSDHC kext slows down my system/prevents it from booting

(Might be because I had a SDHC card in the slot..)

Microphone

1) Still no sound from the internal microphone

(I guess it's back to the BT headset for skype...)

On the positive side

1) Trackpad working really well

(Now we only need gestures...)

Otherwise it just seems to work. Pretty amazing consider how much Apple changed under the hood.

I'm not sure if the whole SpeedStep/Sleep/Battery area needs a recompiled kernel or if it can be fixed

with loadable drivers (Unfortunately there are a lot of drivers to choose from...)

I will take a look at the kext that where loaded on 10.5.8 to see if those get us anywhere.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I just got to the forum again after a few days, I will work on the above and see if there is something out there that can help us...most of the forums seem to stop right after installation and first working install...

Neodymium - What exactly did you do to get full resolution/QE on the GMA950 (Aspire One)?

I used the 72ae script, along with your EFI string and DSDT (matched mine aside for the OVGA portion you worked on) so I used yours to get going quick.

I have tried sooooo many things now... I mean even slipping the 27a2 device ID into the DSDT (the OS saw the device ID but wouldn't load the drivers still).

Once I get this last piece working I will likely stray from the included kexts and such but I figure if I follow exactly what you did to get the video working I will be in good shape from there.

On a side note... I am up and running with 10.6 on my notebook (Toshiba using Boot Think 2.3) however this is my wife's netbook and I am hoping to get everything right. I am running airport cards in both devices flawlessly form eBay for $15 shipped...

Thanks!

Neodymium - What exactly did you do to get full resolution/QE on the GMA950 (Aspire One)?

I used the 72ae script, along with your EFI string and DSDT (matched mine aside for the OVGA portion you worked on) so I used yours to get going quick.

I have tried sooooo many things now... I mean even slipping the 27a2 device ID into the DSDT (the OS saw the device ID but wouldn't load the drivers still).

Once I get this last piece working I will likely stray from the included kexts and such but I figure if I follow exactly what you did to get the video working I will be in good shape from there.

On a side note... I am up and running with 10.6 on my notebook (Toshiba using Boot Think 2.3) however this is my wife's netbook and I am hoping to get everything right. I am running airport cards in both devices flawlessly form eBay for $15 shipped...

Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4334f6f...04e75f6e8ebb871

Get the SnowGMA.zip from here and go through the maintenance procedure again...(see below)

In the terminal type (This is done from within Snow, if you cannot access Snow, you can also do this from Leo)

a. chown root:wheel /

b.mount the EFI partition

- mkdir /Volumes/EFI

- mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

- kextcache -a i386 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

- kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

- umount-f /Volumes/EFI

- rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

- reboot

Might I ask how exactly you patched these files as mine did not work when I used the script and tried others?

I've have been around since the 10.4 days on the BX2 and have always done my setups by hand rarely requiring me to ask a question until we get to the video part and this one kicked me in the butt.

I will try these out shortly (right now).

Well... I did get it going and found out why I was unable to before...

I needed to remote the original kexts out of /S/L/E... I am not sure if this is a "Boot Think" loader issue or this is how it must be done as I am not used to having duplicate kexts in the first place.

Oh well... I will dig further, thanks for the files.

Hi, thanks for this guide, I've already got Leo on my AAO, so I think I'll see if I can get Snow working as I have a spare partition to play with.

Once thing, I'm using BIOS v3114, does this mean I need to use a different DSDT file? Do you make the DSDT file while running Leo? Is it hard to do and can you tell me what changes you made to the original DSDT file?

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for this guide, I've already got Leo on my AAO, so I think I'll see if I can get Snow working as I have a spare partition to play with.

Once thing, I'm using BIOS v3114, does this mean I need to use a different DSDT file? Do you make the DSDT file while running Leo? Is it hard to do and can you tell me what changes you made to the original DSDT file?

Thanks.

You can use the DSDT Patcher to create your own dsdt file. I unchecked all options in the patcher and then created the file and applied to Snow...

I am using bios 3310 (US and Canada)...You're saying AOA-150 or AOA-110...150 is N/A and 110 is EU?

Here is the log from my DSDT file build, I didnt apply it right away using the patcher. I built the file, then copied it over to /EFI/Extra

"Intel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

ASL Input: ./dsdt_fixed.txt - 7141 lines, 253674 bytes, 2990 keywords

AML Output: ././dsdt.aml - 26626 bytes, 811 named objects, 2179 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 37 Optimizations

DSDT Patcher 1.0.1e -- report Bugs to superfassl@gmail.com

enclose "DSDT Patcher/Debug/USER.tar"

Press any key to continue...

Getting the DSDT through ioreg...

Decompiling the DSDT...

Done, now start the Patching!

Patching RTC...

RTC Device found : Device (RTC)

Found IRQ in RTC Device, removing it

IRQNoFlags ()

RTC patched

Patching HPET...

HPET Device found : Device (HPET)

IRQ's written to HPET

HPET patched

Fixing various Issues...

Done

We are done patching, press any key to try to compile the fixed DSDT

Compiling done, if it worked, you have now a patched DSDT in dsdt.aml

If the compiling went wrong, you could force to build it with ./DSDT\ Patcher -f (try this DSDT at your own risk)"

我用你提供的驱动包里面的东西,成功开启了acer aspire one with  ID10.5.8的QE.呵呵,thank you!

我懒得升级了,将就用10.5.8.文章写得很详细!

我很高兴你出来工作了。斯诺是快速的氧化铝。你应该尝试å

‡级。

祝你好运,乐于帮助。

Sorry about the translation :rolleyes:

我用你提供的驱动包里面的东西,成功开启了acer aspire one with  ID10.5.8的QE.呵呵,thank you!

我懒得升级了,将就用10.5.8.文章写得很详细!

我很高兴你出来工作了。斯诺是快速的氧化铝。你应该尝试å

‡级。

祝你好运,乐于帮助。

Sorry about the translation... :)

You can use the DSDT Patcher to create your own dsdt file. I unchecked all options in the patcher and then created the file and applied to Snow...

I am using bios 3310 (US and Canada)...You're saying AOA-150 or AOA-110...150 is N/A and 110 is EU?

Here is the log from my DSDT file build, I didnt apply it right away using the patcher. I built the file, then copied it over to /EFI/Extra

I use a AOA-150, but it's the UK version which seems to have a different BIOS version:

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/noteb...as_one_150.html

I imagine there is not a big difference tho, maybe a few changes to the keyboard layout?

Anyway, I'll have a go at making my own DSDT.aml file, was this the patcher you used:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48

I'm try it as soon as SL has finished installing, I had to reformat my machine as it was MBR as opposed to GUID.

EDIT: Url got censored, I don't know why, it's on the pcwiz site, it's called "DSDT Patcher GUI". :)

EDIT2: Spotted a mistake, "diskutil eraseVolume "HFS +" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1" gives an error, "HFS +" should be "HFS+" :)

EDIT3: It seems the DSDT patching is failing for some reason, it says Build Failed! here's my log:

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct  4 2008]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20080926 [Oct  4 2008]

./dsdt_fixed.txt  1213:					 CreateDWordField (BUF1, Local2, CAPB)
Error	4111 -		  Creating a named object in a While loop ^ 

ASL Input:  ./dsdt_fixed.txt - 6262 lines, 222693 bytes, 2659 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 32 Optimizations

Decompiling the DSDT...

Patching RTC...

RTC Device found :				 Device (RTC)
					IRQNoFlags ()
RTC patched

Patching HPET...

HPET Device found :				 Device (HPET)
IRQ's written to HPET
HPET patched
Fixing various Issues...

Done

If the compiling went wrong, you could force to build it with ./DSDT\ Patcher -f (try this DSDT at your own risk)

Would I be better off putting DSDT related issues in a separate thread?

I think I can fix this, I'm just going to have to get my hands dirty with a texteditor! ;)

I use a AOA-150, but it's the UK version which seems to have a different BIOS version:

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/noteb...as_one_150.html

I imagine there is not a big difference tho, maybe a few changes to the keyboard layout?

Anyway, I'll have a go at making my own DSDT.aml file, was this the patcher you used:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48

I'm try it as soon as SL has finished installing, I had to reformat my machine as it was MBR as opposed to GUID.

EDIT: Url got censored, I don't know why, it's on the pcwiz site, it's called "DSDT Patcher GUI". :)

EDIT2: Spotted a mistake, "diskutil eraseVolume "HFS +" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1" gives an error, "HFS +" should be "HFS+" :)

EDIT3: It seems the DSDT patching is failing for some reason, it says Build Failed! here's my log:

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct  4 2008]

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20080926 [Oct  4 2008]

./dsdt_fixed.txt  1213:					 CreateDWordField (BUF1, Local2, CAPB)
Error	4111 -		  Creating a named object in a While loop ^ 

ASL Input:  ./dsdt_fixed.txt - 6262 lines, 222693 bytes, 2659 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 32 Optimizations

Decompiling the DSDT...

Patching RTC...

RTC Device found :				 Device (RTC)
					IRQNoFlags ()
RTC patched

Patching HPET...

HPET Device found :				 Device (HPET)
IRQ's written to HPET
HPET patched
Fixing various Issues...

Done

If the compiling went wrong, you could force to build it with ./DSDT\ Patcher -f (try this DSDT at your own risk)

Would I be better off putting DSDT related issues in a separate thread?

I think I can fix this, I'm just going to have to get my hands dirty with a texteditor! :)

Your DSDT is specific to AOA-110, which is the UK model and uses 3114 Bios...

There are other threads on insanelymac for patching DSDT correctly, you should be able to see where you are going wrong...I havent digged that deep into DSDT..and when building DSDT, I found it useful to boot the notebook clean, no USB or SD cards...only power...

And thanks, I will fix the typos :D There's nothing wrong with getting your hands dirty!!!

There might also be links to a working dsdt on the net for the A110...you should look...makes your life easier and your hands not that dirty ;)

Your DSDT is specific to AOA-110, which is the UK model and uses 3114 Bios...

There are other threads on insanelymac for patching DSDT correctly, you should be able to see where you are going wrong...I havent digged that deep into DSDT..and when building DSDT, I found it useful to boot the notebook clean, no USB or SD cards...only power...

And thanks, I will fix the typos :) There's nothing wrong with getting your hands dirty!!!

There might also be links to a working dsdt on the net for the A110...you should look...makes your life easier and your hands not that dirty :)

Thanks, I'll do a search got the AOA-110, no point in re-inventing the wheel. ;) Speaking of wheels, a few more typos when chmoding, a few lines say "root: wheel" when it should be "root:wheel"

Also, I was booting from a USB drive when using DSDT Patcher GUI, so I'll try making my EFI partition bootable and then bot from the EFI partition, with any luck this should work. :)

Ok, it turns out that no one else has done a fixed DSDT of the DSDT bios, so I'm trying to patch it myself.

I'm trying to do the RTC fix for snow leo, and here is the current RTC:

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x01,			   // Alignment
						0x08,			   // Length
						)
				})
				Name (BUF1, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x01,			   // Alignment
						0x08,			   // Length
						)
			   })
				Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (HPTS, One))
					{
						Return (BUF0)
					}
					Else
					{
						Return (BUF1)
					}
				}
			}

Now, in the guides I've seen so far, it says the //Length line needs to be changed from 0x04 to 0x02, yet on my DSDT it's 0x08?

Would it be possible to post you DSDT file before it was compiled (not DSDT.aml) so I can see if the length values are changed at all?

Ok, it turns out that no one else has done a fixed DSDT of the DSDT bios, so I'm trying to patch it myself.

I'm trying to do the RTC fix for snow leo, and here is the current RTC:

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x01,			   // Alignment
						0x08,			   // Length
						)
				})
				Name (BUF1, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x01,			   // Alignment
						0x08,			   // Length
						)
			   })
				Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (HPTS, One))
					{
						Return (BUF0)
					}
					Else
					{
						Return (BUF1)
					}
				}
			}

Now, in the guides I've seen so far, it says the //Length line needs to be changed from 0x04 to 0x02, yet on my DSDT it's 0x08?

Would it be possible to post you DSDT file before it was compiled (not DSDT.aml) so I can see if the length values are changed at all?

Will do when I get home tonight.

Thanks, I've managed to get mine to boot with my self-modded DSDT, but I'd like to compare it to yours as I'm getting kernel panics shortly after booting! :(

Here is the link to the file...debug.zip...includes dsdt_fixed, dsdt.dsl, hpet_fixed and rtc_fixed

I also posted my aml file at the same location, browse the folder if you want to...

Here is the link to the file...debug.zip...includes dsdt_fixed, dsdt.dsl, hpet_fixed and rtc_fixed

I also posted my aml file at the same location, browse the folder if you want to...

Thanks, by the looks it I've made too many changes to my DSDT which may have been causing my Kernel panics. I applied a GMA950 fix when in fact it turns out this only works on desktop motherboards and not laptops/netbooks...

I'm going to build my DSDT from scratch, and see if this fixes things.

Just a quick question about graphics, did you copy patched AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext files to the snow leopard volume before running the kextcache commands in the first post?

Finally, when running the kextcache commands, I got this error:

kextcache: ?4\033??\a: couldn't get volume UUID

Is this anything to worry about?

I think I'm 99% there, in fact I've made a shellscript file to automatically format and install everything on the EFI partition, saves a lot of time when reinstalling snow. :censored2:

I'm already on SL, i installed it in my USB HD. I'll try the gma950 fix... About the mic... Did you get it working? I tried this install first in my USB HD because i don't want ro mess with my fully functional Leopard install

Edit:

Updated my SL install to 10.6.1 it broke my install :/ will try to fix permitions and caches