nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

This guide is:

1. Split into sections and sub-sections for ease of following and adding to....

2. A "live guide" that will evolve with both Snow Leopard and time (with some inevitable typo corrections, additions, deletions etc.).......

So, please read the current online "live" guide before attempting to follow it, even if you had previously followed a printed-out static version successfully.....

Good reasons for needing/having a working Leopard OS X installation already on the PC that you want to install Snow Leopard onto:

1. Since the DSDT.aml gets patched by the BIOS before loading it for OS X to use, you need to extract the DSDT.aml from a RUNNING OS on your PC.

For example, when you extract the dsdt.dsl file from a BIOS set to S1(POS) sleep you see:

Name (\_S1, Package (0x04)

followed byName (\SS3, Package (0x04)

whereas when you extract the dsdt.dsl file from a BIOS set to S3(STR) sleep you see:

Name (\SS1, Package (0x04)followed byName (\_S3, Package (0x04)

So, extract your PC's BIOS DSDT.aml file using Leopard and patch it as required for later use by Snow Leopard.......

2. Easy installation of the Chameleon (or other) bootloader using an installer package (or, manually if you prefer) on your PC's target SL OS X volume and set up the /Extra/Extensions directory on the target SL OS X volume as well........

3. Generating an EFI string for your graphics card(s)

Quote from aqua-mac

QUOTE PLEASE NOTE - SNOW LEOPARD When making your output file - that must be done booted from Leopard only. Snow Leopard gives the wrong info in the output file and you WILL NOT get QE/CI working! GFX strings will work fine on snow leopard once they are made, but the part where you translate the input file into the output file only works if made with Leopard. If you make that in snow it will give an incorrect one and you will not get Quartz Extreme or Core Image which makes OSX pretty useless. So you will need a Leo install on a laptop or someone with a Leo install at present. To reset permissions after you re-install the file, just run Disk Utility - Repair Permissions.

4. You will have a fully working OS X system that will enable you [a] to identify any special kexts needed for video, network and/or audio and/or BIOS settings for USB or Firewire etc., and to easily fix any problems with your subsequent Snow Leopard installation that may be preventing it from booting and/or causing kernel panics etc., run installer packages to install stuff on SL when it is not booted, e.g. the OS X Combo Update Installer etc........

HOW TO USE THIS GUIDE

NOTA BENE 1.

Everyone without a fully AHCI-compliant nForce MCP MOBO, first read the INTRODUCTION and BREAKING NEWS sections and then read and follow PART A and PART B.

To determine if your nForce chipset MOBO MCP is fully-AHCI compliant, see here.

Regarding MeDevil's original AppleNForceATA.kext and AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext, as well as its later variants by slashack, AnV, aryajuanda, note the following quote from MeDevil (I have put AHCI-compliant device IDs in bold):

I've re-fixed the driver. Some users where still not detecting sata and/or pata drives, so this version should solve some problems. Below, a list of device+vendor id for supported pata/sata chipsets by this kext:

PATA: 0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10deSATA: 0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

If it is AND/OR you find after following NOTA BENE 1., that the AppleNForceATA.kext DOES NOT WORK for you, e.g. you still get a "waiting for root device" error with AppleNForceATA.kext installed, then go to NOTA BENE 2. below......

You then need to decide whether to use

EITHER the USB flash drive installation method to install from an image file of your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD to a GPT/HFS+ partition/volume or a MBR/HFS+ partition/volume,

OR

my nForceSLBoot132DVD installation method to install from your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD disc to a GPT/HFS+ partition/volume.

NOTE: HFS+ means Mac OS Extended (Journaled) while GPT stands for GUID Partition Table and MBR stands for Master Boot Record in this guide.....

Read PART C if you want to produce a USB flash drive installer employing an image file of your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD......and THEN

Read PART D if you want to install from a USB flash drive to a GPT HDD volume.....

OR

Read PART E if you want to install from a USB flash drive to a MBR HDD volume.....

BUT

Read PART F if you want to install from a Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD disc to a GPT HDD volume using my nForceSLBoot132DVD......

THEN

Read PART I if you want to be able to boot into Snow Leopard from your Leopard Chameleon bootloader screen......

FINALLY

After successful installation, read PART G to PART K regularly/periodically to keep up to date with the development of non-Apple Snow Leopard 32bit/64bit kexts and their operation (e.g. audio, sleep etc.) and/or DSDT modding on nForce chipset/Intel CPU MOBOs.......

NOTA BENE 2:

Everyone with a fully AHCI-compliant nForce MCP73 630i chipset MOBO can follow Krisha21's nForce 630i MCP73 chipset MOBO-specific Snow Leopard Install guide here.........it may also work for other fully AHCI-compliant nForce MCP MOBOs......such as those mentioned here.....

NOTA BENE 3:

All Asus P5N-E SLI 650i chipset MOBO owners may be interested in this.........successful SATA DVDRW read/write functioning...........

See this post by Curtis8523, who has a P5N-E SLI MOBO with 2.5 GB RAM (1 x 1 GB stick, 3 x 512 MB Stick), Nvidia Gforce 210 512 MB Video Card, 750 GB SATA HDD, Samsung 22x SATA SH-S223C/BEBE DVDRW, 2 x 40 GB ATA HDD RAID to show an 80 GB HDD, Netgear WN311T PCI Wireless card showing as airport extreme. He is using the P5N-E SLI BIOS 1406 with stock settings except AI overclock to 20%.He is booting in 32bit mode and using the AppleNForceATA.kext from the iATKOS S3 v2 Install DVD distro......

I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B SATA DVDRW on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (650i with 6GB RAM with OCd CPU (3GHz) and RAM (800MHz) but have not been able to read/write reliably using the SATA DVDRW with any AppleNForceATA kext........

This still remains the case for me when using the AppleNforceATA kext from the iATKOS DVD and with/without maxmem=2048........my SATA DVDRW does not even mount a commercial DVD movie.......... :wallbash:

I think the reason may be the chipset differences:

ASUS P5N-E SLI

Chipset: NVIDIA 650i SPP (C55) + 650i MCP (nF430)Onboard SATA/RAID: 4 SATA 3Gbps Ports - 650i MCP (RAID 0,1, 0+1, 5, JBOD)1 e-SATA 3Gbps Port - JMicron JMB361Onboard IDE: 2 ATA133/100/66 Port (4 drives) - 650i MCP

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus

Chipset: NVIDIA 650i SPP (C55) + 570 SLI MCP (MCP55P)Onboard SATA/RAID: 6 SATA 3Gbps Ports - 570 SLI MCP (RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, JBOD)Onboard IDE: 1 ATA133/100/66 Port (2 drives) - 570 SLI MCP

INTRODUCTION

Remember that despite nForce chipset MOBOs now being able to run the Snow Leopard kernel, you still are dealing with the nForce chipset and OS X.......

So:

[1] Check your BIOS settings against the recommended settings for OS X........depending on your MOBO nForce chipset, check in either my OS X Leopard on Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs thread or in my OS X Leopard on Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs thread......

Ensure that your IDE/SATA settings are set correctly e.g. enabling the SATA Controller or AHCI Mode depending on your BIOS options, and setting HPET Function/Support to [Enabled]....

[2] Despite a number of vanilla install guides for Snow Leopard saying that a SATA DVDRW is recommended/best/required for installing Snow Leopard.......this is not generally the case with nForce chipset MOBOs (unless the nForce MCP is fully AHCI compliant e.g. MCP73......see here)......

If the nForce MCP is not fully AHCI compliant, then a PATA (IDE) DVDRW is preferred/recommended to avoid issues with the now infamous "still waiting for root device" error.....

This is because we have to use the AppleNForceATA.kext.......unless the nForce MCP is fully AHCI compliant e.g. MCP73......see here)......

Furthermore, while slashhack's v0.1 AppleNForceATA.kext (32bit) supports 64bit memory addressing enabling the use of > 3GB RAM, some SATA DVDRWs may have problems with this kext......e.g. not being recognized; a SAM Multimedia: Read or Write failed.....error; not being able to burn CDs/DVDs....

So, if this is the case you will need to use MeDevil's AppleNForceATA_Test.kext BUT this kext can only be used with maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist or with > 3GB RAM as it does not support 64bit memory addressing.....you may still have issues with not being able to burn CDs/DVDs.......

Until very recently, the AppleNForceATA.kext's currently available appeared from most reports to be only fully functional as 32bit compiled......the 32bit/64bit compiled variants that are now appearing for Snow Leopard, e.g. by AnV, aryajuanda, etc. do not appear to enable successful booting into 64bit kernel mode on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, EXCEPT imk's newly 64bit compiled AnV AppleNforceATA.kext (AFAIK a variant of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext)...........see BREAKING NEWS section below......... :thumbsup_anim:

[3] If you are using a IDE HDD and/or IDE DVDRW, then the IDE cable connections are very important.......80-wire IDE cable with end Master connector and middle Slave connectorIDE HDD/DVDRW :IDE HDD jumper set as Slave with IDE DVDRW jumper set as MasterSATA HDD/IDE DVDRW :IDE DVDRW jumper set as MasterIDE HDD/SATA DVDRW :IDE HDD jumper set as Master

[4] The following issue identified by d00m42 may apply to nForce chipset MOBOs too

“Found a BIG issue for those running a drive or partition with windows 7 installed and formated with NTFS!Remove or disconnect your Windows 7 drive, or you will be getting OSX crashes, *ntfs corruption*, possible KP's”

So be sure that you disconnect all your Windows hard drives before installing OS X Snow Leopard and then reconnect after the installation is complete.

BREAKING NEWS LISTED FIRST (IN REVERSE ORDER FOR EASY ADDITION)

11. FURTHER PROGRESS on a fully functional 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext

imk has taken the AnV 64bit AppleNforceATA.kext and make it load properly into the 64bit vanilla kernel........ :)However, it is unlikely to work with SATA DVD drives because the AnV 64bit AppleNforceATA.kext does not.......see PART K. Developers/Contributors Corner, Item 6.

10. Sensor Monitoring via FakeSMC (CPU/MOBO temperatures and fan speeds)I have now tried and successfully got Sensor Monitoring via Slice et al.'s modifed netkas FakeSMC in conjunction with iStat Menus (or in my humble opinion less usefully with iStat Pro)...........see PART K. Developers/Contributors Corner, Item 5.

9. UPDATE on nForceLAN kext use

I have found that in order for the nForceLAN kext to function properly and connect you to your network/router/ modem and hence to the internet, the nForceLAN kext MUST be physically located in /System/Library/Extensions/, OR in Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, OR in both /System/Library/Extensions/ and Extensions.mkext.

This is true, regardless of whether you use either the nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.4) or the nForceLAN.kext that is installed by eno's nForceLAN_0.64.5.mpkg installer in /S/L/E/, because they are the same kext.......

To ensure that the nForceLAN kext in /S/L/E/ is also included in the Extensions.mkext file in n /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, go to the Terminal and type:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

If, once you have sorted out the nForceLAN kext location(s), you are still having problems, nvenet.kext may be the problem..........in which case:

1. Put the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext that I included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.4 in /E/E/2. Create a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ for it

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s IONetwokingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

3. Rename the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/CODE

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig
ls -l
exit

8. I have uploaded my latest Snow_Support_Files_V2.4 to SendSpace.

Likewise, my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso and nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso, as well as EFIStudio v1.1 and OSx86Tools will n

Note: As of Snow_Support_Files_V2.4, I am not including any kernels.......this is because [a] we are already up t0 OS X 10.6.8 and there are non-Vanilla kernels out for all vanilla kernel versions as well.......

7. AppleNForceATA 1.0.4 optimized for SL 32/64bit, AppleNForceATA fixed up for SL by AnV........see here.....according to AnV

Same as AppleATIATA I made...It has no deprecation nor warnings and has correct dependencies for loading out in 32 and 64 bit mode.If the other drivers didn't work for you in 64 bit mode, try this one...Does it fix the Sata DVD problem that Medevil's kext has?It should yes... it uses routines from AppleIntelPIIXATA (latest version, new style ATA driver coding).I however have no nForce chipset mobo around so no way to test it...I would say test it, it should work fine (I made this one for a friend).

If you test it, please post your success or otherwise in this thread, when booting in 32bit mode and when booting in 64bit mode and if you have a SATA DVDRW, whether or not it allows you to read/write to discs.......

6. Aqua-mac has kindly provided a Snow Leopard HUD style ("transparent") "About this Mac" window fix.....see PART K.

5. Audio has now been fixed for the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO Asus SupremeFX audio card (except for Front Panel Headphones).....see post #2 in this thread......

4. Booting into Snow Leopard from your Leopard volume's Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader screen.....using netkas' PC-EFI v10.3 boot file......see Part I......

3. Two versions of my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso files are available:

• One using slashack's v0.1 AppleNForceATA.kext for PATA DVDRW (v1)
  • One using MeDevil's AppleNForceATA_Test.kext for SATA DVDRW (v1)

For links to both versions and user instructions, please see Part F. below…...

N.B. Burn either .iso to DVD at the slowest possible speed ≤ x4

Please report any problems/issues with either .iso in this thread.......

2. An original kext/modified kext/driver "Developers/Contributors Corner" has been set up in Part K (the originator/developer is acknowledged together with the contributor when the developer is known...if any reader can add such information please post the information so that the developers can be properly credited.......

1. Extensions.mkext for /Extra/Extensions/: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions/ cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext, not loading/working properly, with the result that key kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ are not being loaded into the kernel.......hence

[1] Delete the Extensions.mkext cache file from /Extra on your USB flash drive OS X Installer AND from /Extra on your target OS X volume.....

[2] Copy "fresh" extensions across from LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links) into the /Extra/Extensions directories

AppleNForceATA.AnV or AppleNForceATA.slash

fakesmc.V2 or fakesmc.V1

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (although even different UUIDs in SMBIOS.plist and PlatformUUID Info.plist does not appear to cause any problems because according to Superhai the UUID in SMBIOS is not used for anything.....)

Note: With Chameleon 2.0 RC4 PlatformUUID.kext is not needed

If an Extensions.mkext file is not present in /Extra the kexts in /Extra/Extensions will be loaded directly......the Extensions.mkext cache file being more of a convenience than a necessity at bootup in terms of a somewhat reduced bootup time; being a cached version of all the kexts in the Extensions folder, resulting in faster loading of the extensions at boot.

OS X continues to use the Extensions.mkext file until its modified date is different from that of the Extensions folder itself; at which point, it reverts to loading them from the Extensions folder and then re-creates the Extensions.mkext file......

In Leopard (BUT NOT Snow Leopard at present AFAIK) booting with -f forces the kexts to be loaded from the Extensions folder at bootup and then recreates the Extensions.mkext file....However, you can use the Terminal to recreate the Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions/

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

SendSpace:

Snow_Support_Files_V2.4

I will re-upload the following ONLY if request via a post to me in this topic:

nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso

nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso

EFIStudio v1.1

OSx86Tools

OS X SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS

PART A. How much of a "64bit" OS is Snow Leopard?

See this interesting and useful article.Key points:

• Snow Leopard is completely backwards-compatible with 32bit applications
  • Snow Leopard runs 64bit applications regardless of whether it boots into a 64bit or a 32bit kernel
  • Not all Macs boot by default into the 64bit kernel......see here for details
  • Only a CPU with SSSE3 can run 64bit kernel and 64bit applications

A Core 2 Duo or better multicore CPU (will become the Core i3 family)......or a Core iX (X= 3, 5, 7, 9....) multicore CPU.....is nominally required for GCD

BUT note that other Intel dual core CPUs such as Pentium Dual Core series e.g. E5200 are reported to also work with Snow Leopard…….

nVidia GeForce 8600 GT or better......nVidia Quadro FX.......ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870.....etc. for OpenCL

NVIDIA GPUs supported in Snow Leopard

Note this very useful list compiled by thorazine74 elsewhere online:

Getting an nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard

The 3 easiest methods for getting an nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard are as follows (easiest first).

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....

3. NVEnabler injector kext, Injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well......

The NVEnabler.kext (32bit/64bit) is not just another injector kext because it does on-the-fly ROM patching to give a more stable output configuration.......but you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info.plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext (to see which of these kexts you need to modify to suit your graphics card(s), look at the list of Snow Leopard supported nVidia cards in post 1.......the older NVDANV30Hal, NVDANV20Hal and NVDANV10Hal kexts are not present in Snow Leopard.....).

Finally, if you are familiar with DSDT modding, you can choose to modify your DSDT.aml file with information on your NVCap values obtained via IORegistry Editor, which is the newest method but also the cleanest, most "vanilla" method because it is DSDT-based, rather than involving com.apple.Boot.plist changes, or using a non-vanilla kext.......

NOTE: The methods above are mutually exclusive......use only one.

The situation is a bit more complicated with the nVidia GeForce GTX and GTS series graphics cards ...... it may be necessary to insert the graphics card(s) Device ID directly into the appropriate vanilla kexts, as well as using a compatible enabler.....

Getting an ATI graphics card working in Snow Leopard

Two methods for getting an ATI graphics card working in Snow Leopard are:

1. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....BUT there are far fewer built-in options than for nVidia graphics cards.......

2. EVOenabler.kext (32/64bit) injector kext

NOTE: The methods above are mutually exclusive......use only one.

The situation with ATI graphics cards is invariably more complicated than for nVidia graphics cards, e.g. the ATI Radeon HD48xx series.......Google the regularly updated information from netkas.org.......it may be necessary to insert the graphics card(s) Device ID directly into the appropriate vanilla kexts, as well as using an enabler.....

Indications that Core Image (CI) and Quartz Extreme (QE) are both enabled in Snow Leopard

If CI and QE are not fully enabled for your graphics card(s), then you will probably experience so-called mouse pointer "tearing", display-screen artifacts such as horizontal dashes, poor display refresh-rates, fixed screen-resolution etc.

In Leopard, going to System Profiler and selecting Graphics/Displays would directly indicate this because Core Image would be shown as "Hardware Accelerated" and Quartz Extreme as "Supported"

BUT this is no longer the case in Snow Leopard.

However, there are 3 key ways to confirm that the Core Image functioning is hardware accelerated and that Quartz Extreme functioning is supported:

1. The top-menu bar is transluscent i.e. the underlying Desktop image is visible through the menu bar

2. When you run the Front Row app, it opens and functions fully....

3. If, when you click on the Dashboard icon in Dock or run the Dashboard app and add a widget, either via the LHS "+" button and clicking on a widget icon in the bottom widgets bar, or by 'dragging and dropping' a widget, you should see a "real-time" water-ripple effect as the new widget is "dropped" into the Dashboard.......

Generating an EFI Graphics String for Snow Leopard

If you can boot into 64bit mode you can try using in place of the EFI graphics string, either NVinject (64bit) or NatitSilent.kext (64bit) or, if not, try EVOenabler.kext (32/64bit)........but check in the Info.plist for

"VRAM,totalsize"

add if not present, and use appropriate data value against VRAM,totalsize for your graphics card VRAM

Data Value -------- VRAM (MB) ---------- String Value (Hexadecimal)

<00000002>-------------32------------------<0x02000000>
<00000004>-------------64------------------<0x04000000>
<00000008>------------128------------------<0x08000000>
<00000010>------------256------------------<0x10000000>
<00000014>------------320------------------<0x14000000>
<00000020>------------512------------------<0x20000000>
<00000028>------------640------------------<0x28000000>
<00000030>------------768------------------<0x30000000>
<00000038>------------896------------------<0x38000000>
<00000040>-----------1024 (1.0GB)--------<0x40000000>
<00000050>-----------1280 (1.28 GB)------<0x50000000>
<00000060>-----------1500 (1.5 GB)-------<0x60000000>
<00000080>-----------2000 (2.0 GB)-------<0x80000000>

using, for example, Property List Editor (available in XCode > Developer > Applications > Utilities) .......

Alternatively, if you want to continue using an "EFI graphics string", then you can:

1. Create a folder on your Leopard Desktop called GFXStringMod

I say this because according to aqua-mac:

PLEASE NOTE - SNOW LEOPARD When making your output file - that must be done booted from Leopard only. Snow Leopard gives the wrong info in the output file and you WILL NOT get QE/CI working! GFX strings will work fine on snow leopard once they are made, but the part where you translate the input file into the output file only works if made with Leopard. If you make that in snow it will give an incorrect one and you will not get Quartz Extreme or Core Image which makes OSX pretty useless. So you will need a Leo install on a laptop or someone with a Leo install at present. To reset permissions after you re-install the file, just run Disk Utility - Repair Permissions.

2. Save your hexadecimal EFI graphics string as a GFXString.hex file to GFXStringMod (using either EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools)....

Yes....I know you can save the string as a .hex, or as a .xml (i.e. .plist) file using either EFIStudio v1.1 or OSX86Tools.....but I am using gfxutil v0.71b for a consistent approach.......AND By the way EFIStudio v1.1 itself uses gfxutil v0.71b...... topic/263931-nforce-os-x-lion-107-app-store-download-install-guide-on-a-series-6-or-7-nforce-chipset-intel-cpu-mobo/style_emoticons/default/wink_anim.gif

3. Use gfxutil v0.71b to convert GFXString.hex to GFXString.plist as follows:

Copy downloaded gfxutil to GFXStringMod

In Terminal type (leave Terminal window open, as you will use it again)

cd /Users/"Username"/Desktop/GFXStringMod
./gfxutil -s -n -i hex -o xml ./GFXString.hex ./GFXString.plist

4. Use 'Property List Editor' (available in XCode > Developer > Applications > Utilities) to modify your settings by changing the number to the appropriate value for your VRAM:

VRAM,totalsize Data 00000080

5. Use gfxutil to convert from GFXString.plist to GFXString.hex as follows:

In Terminal type

./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./GFXString.plist ./GFXString.hex

6. Copy the string in the new VRAM,totalsize-modified GFXString.hex file to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist under/against <key>device-properties</key>

System Requirements according to Apple

• 1GB of memory
  • 5GB of available disk space
  • DVD drive for installation......(or bootable USB flash drive and USB device booting BIOS)

PART B. Generating and modifying the DSDT.aml file specifically for your MOBO:

A modified DSDT.aml is required to fix the CMOS reset bug as discovered by Stellarola; namely to edit the RTC section in the file so as to decrease the length of the IO segment from 4 to 2.

The steps you have to go through will generate a dsdt.aml file that is specific to your PC, which then needs to be de-compiled to the corresponding dsdt.dsl file, that you can then edit using the Terminal nano editor......

You can use its search function or keyboard arrow keys to find your dsdt.dsl file's device (RTC) section and change the two or one IO segment length value(s) you see to 0x02.....then save the modified dsdt.dsl file, which is then re-compiled to give you your modified dsdt.aml file, that you then copy/rename as DSDT.aml file to later use in your / directories on the USB stick and HDD......

For this you need Leopard running on the PC onto which you plan to install Snow Leopard.....

To create the DSDT.aml file and modify to fix the CMOS reset issue, proceed as follows:

Stage 1. Generating dsdt.aml, dsdt.dsl files:

1. Copy fassl's DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip file to the Desktop and double click it to extract it.

2. Open a Terminal window (go to Applications and select Utilities) and then type the following commands

cd ~/Desktop/DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e
./DSDT\ Patcher

Please do not forget the \ after DSDT and the space before Patcher

3. At this point a question about which platform you wish to emulate will appear. Choose 0 (zero) to emulate Darwin.The program will then generate a number of files in folders within the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory on the Desktop, and also may issue a few warnings that can be ignored safely at this stage.

Stage 2. To edit the dsdt.dsl file:

4. Type in the same Terminal window:

nano Debug/dsdt.dsl

5. This will open an editor window to enable you to decrease the length of the IO segment parameter in the Device (RTC) section in the dsdt.dsl file from 4 to 2.Note that your dsdt.dsl file Device (RTC) section may not look the same as the example below (from my 650i Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO)......some MOBOs do not have a ATT1, ResourceTemplate, only a ATT0, ResourceTemplate and/or the IO segment length may be 0x08 rather than 0x04

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length -> change 0x04 to 0x02
)
})
Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length -> change 0x04 to 0x02
)

Change 0x04 to 0x02
When you have finished the editing, press Control-O (i.e. press the Control key plus the letter "O" at the same time) and then RETURN to save the file. Then press Control-X to exit the nano text editor.

6. Back in the Terminal window, type:

./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

Please do not forget the \ after DSDT and the space before PatcherWhich will create a file in the current directory called dsdt.aml but in doing so, you may see a few errors about pre-existing files; you can safely ignore these.

Stage 3. To produce the DSDT.aml file

7. Copy this dsdt.aml file (and rename it as DSDT.aml) to the Desktop

cp dsdt.aml /Users/"your username"/Desktop/DSDT.aml

Please note that DSDT must be in uppercase for the file to be loaded/work.NOTE: The same procedure can be used to edit/modify the CMOS reset fix modded DSDT.aml file further as required........

PART C. Making a bootable GPT partition USB flash drive OS X 10.6 Installer

1. You will need:

(1) Access to a working Mac or Hack x86 OS X Leopard system

(2) A 8GB USB flash drive (memory stick)

(3) Your new Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD from which to make its .dmg image file, OR a pre-existing Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD .dmg/.iso image file.......

To make the OS X Install DVD image [.dmg] (or indeed any CD or DVD image) in Disk Utility by highlighting the disk in the sidebar, and selecting File, and then New Disk Image from diskXsY (Mac OS X Install DVD)....leaving Image Format as Compressed and Encryption as None.......

(4) A DSDT.aml file generated for your MOBO/system (e.g. e.g. fassl's DSDT Patcher)

5) The Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer, or RC2 Installer, or an RC3 or RC4 Unofficial Installer (see below)

2. Procedure to follow:

In Leopard OS X, you should

(1) Plug in the USB flash drive and then using Disk Utility, partition/format it as a single GPT/HFS+ volume named OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)To partition/format it as a single GPT/HFS+ volume, go to Disk Utility and in the sidebar highlight your USB flash drive device icon, and then in the main window, click on the Partition tab and select to partition as 1 volume, with a name with no spaces and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then click on Options button and select GUID Partition Table (GPT), and then click Apply.......

(2) Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for the OSX_10.6_USB_Installer volume by going to Info tab in top menu bar after highlighting the OSX_10.6_USB_Installer volume in the side bar........you need to highlight the USB GPT/HFS+ volume icon NOT the USB device icon in the Disk Utility side bar........

The UUID number is against the Universal Unique Identifier : CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52Your USB UUID will be in this format but obviously different!

(3) Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer"The Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader with the netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file (and using -x32 kernel flag) is still a tried and tested method (that I personally have used) to use and/or fall back on should the following alternatives be problematic on your MOBO/system; e.g. failed installation, kernel panics, "bombing" of the system etc.....ESPECIALLY for the USB Flash drive OS 10.6. Installer which you definitely want to boot and work reliably......

Search using Google for Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer and netkas PC_EFI v10.1 - v10.6 boot file - cannot post active links here......

OR

Alternative 1: Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 Installer

OR

Alternative 2: Use Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL Installer for RC3 to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3

NOTE: Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL Installer for RC4 can only install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 on the volume that is running OS X.....however, if the RC4 Installer says you cannot install to the chosen volume, then you can first run Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL RC3 installer, followed by Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL RC4 installer to install Chameleon 2.0 RC4.....

OR

Alternative 3: Run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 completely

OR

Alternative 4: Just use the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file as explained below.... and after installing whichever Chameleon bootloader you have chosen, i.e. RC1 or RC2 or RC3, in the / or /Extra directory of the OSX_10.6_USB_Installer volume, you will see, either with the "hidden and system files" unhidden (see below how to do this) or listed in Terminal using

cd /Volumes/OSX_10.6_USB_Installer
ls

the following:

boot file
Extra folder
Library folder
usr folder
plus some ."name" files.....

(4) Now depending on what Chameleon 2.0 bootloader you have installed, you will have to choose the appropriate boot file to use and install it if not already installed......the boot file is normally a hidden file but you can unhide it, or use Terminal commands to overwrite it with a replacement boot file when you change from the "username" directory to the directory containing the replacement boot file....

UNHIDING HIDDEN FILES:

The Terminal commands to show/hide hidden and system files are:

To show hidden and system files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To hide hidden and system files

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

or you can download and run TinkerTool......

Either delete the now visible Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot file and then drag and drop the PC_EFI v10.1 (RECOMMENDED ONLY if Chameleon 2.0 RC1 has been installed) into the / directory.....and use the -x32 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

OR

If you have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC2, or prefer to install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 overlaid with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file, then go to the Chameleon website.....and look under Latest Releases for Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz [736.38KB]).......or Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz [744.10KB]

Download and unarchive Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz to Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin and copy the RC3 boot file from the i386 folder over either the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot file or the Netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file in the / directory......and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

Or, download and unarchive Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz to Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin and copy the RC4 boot file from the i386 folder over either the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot file or the Netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file in the / directory......and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

EXAMPLE OF OVERWRITING THE HIDDEN BOOT FILE

To copy the RC3 boot file across into the / directory of the OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (see below), open Terminal, type the following commands ($ being the default shell prompt - DO NOT TYPE!)

cd followed by a space, and then drag and drop the i386 folder into the Terminal window

cp -f boot /Volumes/OSX_10.6_USB_Installer/

OR

If you have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4, then you can choose to use the installed RC3 or RC4 boot file, or you can overwrite it with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 - v10.6 boot file....and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....in my humble opinion the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 bootloader is not to be recommended -

So, USE ONLY Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....

OR

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader with the RC3 or RC4 boot file, respectivelyORChameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + RC3 or RC4 boot file......ORChameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 - v10.6 boot file.....as RC2 seems to only work with only a few PCs....

Interesting comment from Kabyl at netkas.org: People were having issues with the pkg installer in RC2, and it wasn't fixed yet, so until then there is no pkg installer for RC3.

You can use the old installers and replace /boot if you don't want to install manually, and if you already are using Chameleon, you don't need the installer at all, just replace /boot with the new one.

BUT remember that to boot the mach_kernel into 32bit mode using the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file requires you to use the arch=i386 kernel flag rather than -x32 as used with the netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....If you have any problems booting from your HDD partition, then put either arch=i386 if using RC3 or RC4 bootfile, or -x32 if using PC_EFI v10.1 or V10.2 under Kernel Flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist as well....

So, later in/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist find:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

(5) MODIFIED ADVICE: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext not loading/working properly.....henceIf in the /Extra/Extensions, you installed all the kexts included in Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 or RC3 or RC4 /Extra/Extensions,OR if you only loaded one or two kexts in order for the /Extra/Extensions/ directory to be set up by the Chameleon Installer,then delete them and from the downloaded LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links)that I have conveniently compiled in one folder for myself (NOTE: ALL CREDIT goes the developers of the included applications/kexts/bootloaders and boot files etc.; David Elliott, netkas, Superhai, Psystar, eno, slashack, AnV, Dr. Hurt.....),copy across the following kexts:

ESSENTIAL

fakesmc.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - emulates SMC to provide the information required for the Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to decrypt the Apple encrypted files"Choose either V2 or V1.......whichever "works" for you.......see Changelog for V2.1 onwards...."

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - A problem with running OS X running on non-Apple hardware (both physically and in VM) is that the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext invariably causes a kernel panic or at bootup generates endless messages regarding the HPET and links to the CPU. AFAIK the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext plays a couple of tricks with the IOKit service registration process to take over the role of the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, essentially disabling it. Also it deals with heat issues.....

OpenHaltRestart.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - fixes reboot and shutdown on PC-based machines without binary patching or recompiling the kernel

LESS ESSENTIAL

PlatformUUID.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - Fixes some Time Machine related errors by providing a UUID from bootup (fixes UUID 35 errors)

Note: With Chameleon 2.0 RC4 this kext is not needed

ESSENTIAL FOR nForce Chipset MOBOs

AppleNForceATA.kext (32bit only kext proven to work at present - slashack's v0.1 kext or AnV's kext) - but see BREAKING NEWS

OPTIONAL FOR nForce Chipset MOBOs

Modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (from Snow Leopard but with nvenet.kext in Plugins renamed) - found in LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links)

IF YOU ARE USING THE ONBOARD LAN (Enabled in BIOS), then install the nForceLAN.kext (64bit - eno's kext) in /System/Library/Extensions/

Other kexts (32bit or 32/64bit or 64bit) if/when available may be used and/or essential if they work on nForce chipset + Intel multicore CPU MOBOs with OS X 10.6......e.g. for enabling sleep, audio, graphics etc......

(6) Drag and drop your previously modded and saved DSDT.aml file into the / directory

(7) Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the SMBIOS.plist template included in the LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links), to suit your system hardware/RAM etc.......

A further modification is to insert your OSX_10.6_USB_Installer volume UUID number under/against SMUUID......and save the modified SMBIOS.plist (renamed from SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist if you are using this file, i.e. only if you wish to rename it.....) and put it in /Extra

(8) Then go to PlatformUUID.kext, and Show Package Contents and select Contents, and then select Info.plist.....use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the Info.plist and go to IOKitPersonalitiesand select PlatformUUID and insert your OSX_10.6_USB_Installer volume UUID number under/against PlatformUUID and save the modified Info.plist file

(9) MODIFIED ADVICE: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext not loading/working properly.....hence

If you get a kernel panic during booting as follows:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) and then some random numbers and letters or with references to HPET not being assigned to the CPU etc.
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

this indicates that for some reason NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not taking over from the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, as it should be, by being loaded into the kernel before the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext residing in /System/Library/Extensions and cached in the Extensions.mkext file in the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/directory......

This is because the Kext Utility.app did not build the the Extensions.mkext cache file pathway to NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions properly properly (although it is probably setting the kext permissions correctly which is important).....so that NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not being loaded into the kernel from Extenstions.mkext.....

Advice:

1. Delete the Extensions.mkext cache file from /Extra on your USB flash drive OS X Installer AND from /Extra on your target OS X volume.....

2. Copy "fresh" extensions across from LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links) into the /Extra/Extensions directories

fakesmc.V2 or fakesmc.V1

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (although even different UUIDs in SMBIOS.plist and PlatformUUID Info.plist does not appear to cause any problems because according to Superhai the UUID in SMBIOS is not used for anything.....)

If an Extensions.mkext file is not present in /Extra the kexts in /Extra/Extensions will be loaded directly......the Extensions.mkext cache file being more of a convenience than a necessity at bootup in terms of a somewhat reduced bootup time; being a cached version of all the kexts in the Extensions folder, resulting in faster loading of the extensions at boot.

OS X continues to use the Extensions.mkext file until its modified date is different from that of the Extensions folder itself; at which point, it reverts to loading them from the Extensions folder and then re-creates the Extensions.mkext file......

In Leopard (BUT NOT Snow Leopard at present AFAIK) booting with -f forces the kexts to be loaded from the Extensions folder at bootup and then recreates the Extensions.mkext file....

However, you can use the Terminal to recreate the Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/

(10) Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist template included in the LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links) to boot the kernel into 32bit mode using either the arch=i386 kernel flag with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file OR the -x32 kernel flag with the PC_EFI v10.1 boot file (ONLY RECOMMENDED if Chameleon 2.0 RC1 has been installed) and save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist and put it in /Extra....

(11) Now use Disk Utility and select Restore function to load the Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD (or its .dmg/.iso image file) onto the OSX_10.6_USB_Installer volume.....

Leave the Erase destination checkbox UNCHECKED.......

PART D. Installing OS X to your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+

(1) Use Disk Utility to partition/format your target HDD volume for OS X 10.6 as GPT/HFS+ volume named OSX_10.6_GPT_A (or your chosen name without spaces)

(2) Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume by going to Info tab in top menu bar after highlighting the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume in the side bar, and making a careful note of the Universal Unique Identifier number:It will be in this format (but obviously different!): CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

VERY IMPORTANT TO CHECK : OS X target HDD ownership

Right-click on the target OS X HDD volume icon on your Desktop and select Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

Then to ensure that the target OS X HDD volume's root directory is owned by the root user, go to Terminal and type: (note that using 0:0 is equivalent to using root:wheel)

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

This is to make certain that the permissions are not scrambled after the installation of OS X.....and hence that you are able to boot from the OS X 10.6 hard drive........

(3) Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card assuming that it is OpenCL compatible.....save to clipboard (or in a text file) for later use in Section D Part 11B on modifying the com.apple.Boot.plist file......

(4) Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer"Presently in my humble opinion Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader with the netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file (and using -x32 kernel flag) is still the tried and tested method (that I personally have used) to use and/or fall back on should the following alternatives be problematic on your MOBO/system; e.g. failed installation, kernel panics, "bombing" of the system etc.....ESPECIALLY for the USB Flash drive OS 10.6. Installer which you definitely want to boot and work reliably......

Search using Google for Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer and netkas PC_EFI v10.1 - v10.6 boot file - cannot post links here......

OR

OR

Alternative 2: Use Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL Installer for RC3 to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3

NOTE: Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL Installer for RC4 can only install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 on the volume that is running OS X.....however, if the RC4 Installer says you cannot install to the chosen volume, then you can first run Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL RC3 installer, followed by Dr. Hurt's UNOFFICIAL RC4 installer to install Chameleon 2.0 RC4.....

OR

Alternative 3: Run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 completelyOR Alternative 4: Just use the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file as explained below.... and after installing whichever Chameleon bootloader you have chosen, i.e. RC1 or RC2 or RC3, in the / directory of the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume, you will see, either with the "hidden and system files" unhidden (see below how to do this) or listed in Terminal using

cd /Volumes/OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume
ls

the following:boot fileExtra folderLibrary folderusr folderplus some ."name" files.....

(5) Now depending on what Chameleon 2.0 bootloader you have installed, you will have to choose the appropriate boot file to use and install it if not already installed......the boot file is normally a hidden file but you can unhide it, or use Terminal commands to overwrite it with a replacement boot file when you change from the "username" directory to the directory containing the replacement boot file....

UNHIDING HIDDEN FILES:

killall Finder

killall Finder

or you can download and run TinkerTool......

Either delete the now visible Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot file and then drag and drop the PC_EFI v10.1 (RECOMMENDED ONLY if Chameleon 2.0 RC1 has been installed) into the / directory.....and use the -x32 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

OR

If you have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC2, or prefer to install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 overlaid with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file, then go to the Chameleon website.....and look under Latest Releases for Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz [736.38KB]).......or Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz [744.10KB]

Download and unarchive Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz to Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin and copy the RC3 boot file from the i386 folder over either the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot file or the Netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file in the / directory......and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

Or, download and unarchive Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz to Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin and copy the RC4 boot file from the i386 folder over either the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot file or the Netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file in the / directory......and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

To copy the RC3 boot file across into the / directory of the OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (see below), open Terminal, type the following commands ($ being the default shell prompt - DO NOT TYPE!)

cd followed by a space, and then drag and drop the i386 folder into the Terminal window

cp -f boot /Volumes/OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume

OR

If you have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4, then you can choose to use the installed RC3 or RC4 boot file, or you can overwrite it with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 - v10.6 boot file....and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....in my humble opinion the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 bootloader is not to be recommended -so, USE ONLY Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....

OR

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader with the RC3 or RC4 boot file, respectivelyORChameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + RC3 or RC4 boot file......

OR

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 - v10.6 boot file.....as RC2 seems to only work with only a few PCs....Interesting comment from Kabyl at netkas.org

People were having issues with the pkg installer in RC2, and it wasn't fixed yet, so until then there is no pkg installer for RC3. You can use the old installers and replace /boot if you don't want to install manually, and if you already are using Chameleon, you don't need the installer at all, just replace /boot with the new one.

BUT remember that to boot the mach_kernel into 32bit mode using the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file requires you to use the arch=i386 kernel flag rather than -x32 as used with the netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....

If you have any problems booting from your HDD partition, then put either arch=i386 if using RC3 or RC4 bootfile, or -x32 if using PC_EFI v10.1 or V10.2 under Kernel Flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist as well....

So, later in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist find:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

(6) MODIFIED ADVICE: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext not loading/working properly.....hence

If in the /Extra/Extensions directory, you installed all the kexts included in Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 or RC3 or RC4 /Extra/Extensions,

OR if you only loaded one or two kexts in order for the /Extra/Extensions directory to be set up by the Chameleon Installer, then delete them and from the downloaded LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links), that I have conveniently compiled in one folder for myself (NOTE: ALL CREDIT goes the developers of the included applications/kexts/bootloaders and boot files etc.; David Elliott, netkas, Superhai, Psystar, eno, slashack, AnV, Dr. Hurt.....), copy across the following kexts:

ESSENTIAL

fakesmc.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - emulates SMC to provide the information required for the Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to decrypt the Apple encrypted files"Choose either V2 or V1.......whichever "works" for you.......see Changelog for V2.1 onwards...."

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - A problem with running OS X running on non-Apple hardware (both physically and in VM) is that the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext invariably causes a kernel panic or at bootup generates endless messages regarding the HPET and links to the CPU. AFAIK the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext plays a couple of tricks with the IOKit service registration process to take over the role of the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, essentially disabling it. Also it deals with heat issues.....

OpenHaltRestart.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - fixes reboot and shutdown on PC-based machines without binary patching or recompiling the kernel

LESS ESSENTIAL

PlatformUUID.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - Fixes some Time Machine related errors by providing a UUID from bootup (fixes UUID 35 errors)

AppleNForceATA.kext (32bit only kext proven to work at present - slashack's v0.1 kext or AnV's kext) - but see BREAKING NEWS

Modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (from Snow Leopard but with nvenet.kext in Plugins renamed) - found in Snow_Support_Files_v2.4

IF YOU ARE USING THE ONBOARD LAN (Enabled in BIOS), then install the nForceLAN.kext (64bit - eno's kext) in /System/Library/Extensions/

Other kexts (32bit or 32/64bit or 64bit) if/when available may be used and/or essential if they work on nForce chipset + Intel multicore CPU MOBOs with OS X 10.6......e.g. for enabling sleep, audio, graphics etc......

(7) Drag and drop your previously modded and saved DSDT.aml file into the / directory

(8) Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the SMBIOS.plist template included in the LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links), to suit your system hardware/RAM etc.......

A further modification is to insert your OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume UUID number under/against SMUUID......and save the modified SMBIOS.plist (renamed from SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist if you are using this file, i.e. only if you wish to rename it.....) and put it in /Extra

(9) Then go to PlatformUUID.kext, and select Show Package Contents and then Contents, and then Info.plist.....use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the Info.plist and go to IOKitPersonalities and select PlatformUUID and insert your OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume UUID number under/against PlatformUUID and save the modified Info.plist file

(10) MODIFIED ADVICE: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext not loading/working properly.....henceIf you get a kernel panic during booting as follows:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies): com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) and then some random numbers and letters or with references to HPET not being assigned to the CPU etc.

this indicates that for some reason NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not taking over from the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, as it should be, by being loaded into the kernel before the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext residing in /System/Library/Extensions and cached in the Extensions.mkext file in the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/directory......
This is because the Kext Utility.app did not build the the Extensions.mkext cache file pathway to NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions properly properly (although it is probably setting the kext permissions correctly which is important).....so that NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not being loaded into the kernel from Extenstions.mkext.....

Advice:

1. Delete the Extensions.mkext cache file from /Extra on your USB flash drive OS X Installer AND from /Extra on your target OS X volume.....

2. Copy "fresh" extensions across from LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links) into the /Extra/Extensions directories

fakesmc.V2 or fakesmc.V1

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

In Leopard (BUT NOT Snow Leopard at present) booting with -f forces the kexts to be loaded from the Extensions folder at bootup and then recreates the Extensions.mkext file....

However, you can use the Terminal to recreate the Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/

(11) Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist 32bit template included in the LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links)
to:

A. Boot the kernel into 32bit mode by entering either the arch=i386 kernel flag with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 boot file installed OR the -x32 kernel flag with the PC_EFI v10.1 boot file installed under/against Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist

B. Provide graphics functionality for your PCI-E graphics card place the graphics string for your graphics card under/against device-properties in com.apple.Boot.plist

(12) Now save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist and put it in /Extra....The folders/files present (including normally hidden ."name" files) prior to installing OS X 10.6 are:PreOSX_Folders.png ( 27.76K )

(13) Now close all open windows on the Desktop and any open applications...

(14) Reboot your PC and press the F8 key (or whichever key you need to) IMMEDIATELY after the message "Press DEL to enter SETUP, Press TAB to display BIOS POST message" or similar appears on-screen, in order to bring up the message "Loading Boot Menu......"

(15) When the PC BIOS "Boot Menu" window appears on-screen, select the USB flash drive from the list of bootable drives presented in the "Boot Menu", and press Enter......ORChoose from the list of bootable volumes presented by the Chameleon bootloader.....I have given these two options because I have Chameleon bootloaders installed on different HDDs and OS X volumes......BUT the Leopard OS X systems are using mach_kernel.voodoo in com.apple.Boot.plist, whereas the Snow Leopard OS X systems are using the vanilla mach_kernel in com.apple.Boot.plist........That is different /Extra directories need to be used by Chameleon depending on the volume being booted from........hopefully Chameleon 2.0 RC3 can address this situation successfully......

(16) The Green Chameleon should appear together the text "Darwin loading"......and hopefully the Apple boot image......When the OS X Installer window opens REMEMBER to open the Installer Log window too........and choose Show Errors and Progress......or Show All Logs......it is GOOD PRACTICE to do so when running any Installer package.....

(17) Thereafter follow the OS X Installer on-screen instructions and choose your required installation components in the Customize menu....and be careful about using Migration Assistant to migrate across from Leopard to Snow Leopard because I have found that non-Apple or 3rd Party kexts or renamed kexts (folders) such as kext.orig, kext.bad etc. are copied across into /S/L/E.....if this happens you will need to weed them out !I thus recommend that after booting into 10.6, you type in Terminal

kextstat

to see the kexts currently loaded into the kernel......to see if there are any unwanted kexts.....(18) When the installation has finished successfuly, restart......and boot successfully into OS X 10.6.....run Disk Utility to repair permissions......then auto Software Update to 10.6.1.......

Note: If during installation of OS X 10.6, the Installer fails to complete successfully

If during installation, the Installer fails to complete successfully due to a package extraction problem (as happend during my first attempt at installation), when an Installer Log listing similar to:

Sep 4 19:02:04 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: Initializing new flat-package receipt.Sep 4 19:02:04 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: Extracting...Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: BomFileError 13: Permission denied - /Volumes/OS_X_10.6//System/Library/Extensions/hp_Photosmart_io_enabler.kextSep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: 179 of 179 files written in 2.61 seconds.Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: 28852 kilobytes installed at 10.8 MB/s.Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: Error extracting archive.Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore payloadExtractor[1834]: pkgExtractor exited with error 1 while processing package '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/HP_Photosmart.pkg'Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore Installer[1440]: Install failed: The Installer could not install some files in ¾ï¿½ï¿½' ‚º/Volumes/OS_X_10.6 '¢ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½â €šContact the software manufacturer for assistance.Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore Installer[1440]: IFDInstallController 68C7BA0 state = 7Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore Installer[1440]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.Sep 4 19:02:07 ubuntu-quadcore Installer[1440]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer could not install some files in ¾ï¿½ï¿½' ‚º/Volumes/OS_X_10.6 '¢ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½â €š Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.then re-run the Installer BUT DO NOT choose any Printer options in the Installer Customize menu.......these can be installed after your OS X 10.6 installation by re-running the Installer from within your running OS X 10.6 system.......If even this does not work, then I have personally found the following to also work:

1. Install to an external USB single partition GPT/HFS+ HDD and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 either try using Dr. Hurt's Installer, or run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 completely, or just use its /boot file as explained earlier......it is still best that you sort out your DSDT.aml file and extensions in /Extra, as well as com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist because this script is geared towards full vanilla (Intel) MOBOs rather than towards nForce MOBOs.....

2. Do not keep any generated Extension.mkext files in /Extra on your USB flash driver installer or on your target OS X 10.6.x HDD /Extra directories......

3. The HDD kexts in /Extra are:

fakesmc.V2 or fakesmc.V1

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

4. When installing OS X 10.6 choose only the base system in the Customize menu5. Once you have booted into OS X 10.6 on your HDD, use Disk Utility to repair permissions.....then auto Software update to 10.6.1......and only then run the Retail OS X DVD in your DVDRW to run the Optional Installs.mpkg to install Additional fonts, Language Translations, Printers, X11, Rosetta and/or Quicktime 7......

E. Installing OS X to your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as MBR/HFS+

Procedure 1. (No pre-existing Snow Leopard OS installation)

In order for you to install or upgrade OS X 10.6 on MBR partitioned hard drive volumes you need a modified OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall Unix executable file....to obtain these, I can do no better than point you to the links from Prasys' Blog....

There are two versions of OSInstall.mpkg......

Version 1. Prasys believes this version was made by Kabyl, modbin and ToH crew....

Version 2. This version removes checks on CPU , RAM requirements and other things as well, i.e. essentially skips all checks......

The procedure is as follows:

1. Unhide the hidden and systems files on your USB flash drive OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces) using Terminal commands or Tinker Tool (see Part C.)

2. Go to Terminal and type

cd /Volumes/"OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)"/System/Installation/Packages/

sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg OSInstall.mpkg.GPT

cd /Volumes/"OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)"/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A

sudo mv OSInstall OSInstall.GPT

exit

I have renamed the original files as shown, as a reminder if ever you wish to revert back to the original GPT installer versions......simply rename the original files by removing the .GPT extensions again via Terminal :

cd /Volumes/"OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)"/System/Installation/Packages/

sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg.GPT OSInstall.mpkg

cd /Volumes/"OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)"/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

sudo mv OSInstall.GPT OSInstall

exit

3. Then either drag and drop (or use cp command via Terminal) the chosen version of OSInstall.mpkg into /Volumes/"OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)"/System/Installation/Packages/

4. Then drag and drop (or use cp command via Terminal) OSInstall into /Volumes/"OSX_10.6_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces)"/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

5. Close all windows.......and then boot from the USB flash drive as normal......

Procedure 2. (Pre-existing Snow Leopard OS installation)

1. Simply use Disk utility or Carbon Copy Cloner 3.3 to clone a OX 10.6. system installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to your internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X volume........

2. Install the Chameleon RC3 bootoader + PC_EFI V10.3 files to your SL MBR/HFS+ partition after cloning SL to it3. Boot into the SL MBR/HFS+ partition with -v -f.....

F. Installing OS X to your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+ using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso burned to DVD-R or DVD+RW using Disk Utility

1. Points to Note:

{a} My nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso is still a Beta version and my nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso is still an Aplha version until I get many reports of their being reliably successful on different nForce chipset MOBOs........so please post your experience (successful or otherwise [with helpful details for debug purposes........]) in this thread......

{b} The nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso when burned to a DVD-R or DVD+RW will produce a Boot132 DVD named Legacy Boot CD.......this is because I have decided to use Trauma!'s BootCDMaker v1.1f, which is a simple BUT fantastic utility application to create a Chameleon BootCD as the basis for my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso....

See here for a description of BootCDMaker in English......

N.B. Burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed ≤ x4

A key reason for choosing BootCDMaker is its great looking custom boot volume theme which includes on-screen boot prompt instructions and the fact that it saved me some time when sorting out what was needed for a successful, i.e. modified nForceSLBoot132DVD, which is different from the .ISO's produced as standard by BootCDMaker......

So, remember to write "nForceSLBoot132DVD" on the DVD disk.......

{c} Since not all nForce MOBOs have the same DSDT.aml file loaded from /Extra, the nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso DOES NOT include a DSDT.aml file and hence DOES NOT include the DSDT CMOS reset fix........

{d} I have included kexts that are compiled for x86_x64 architecture (i.e. Snow Leopard only) to hopefully allow the use of a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse (BUT I could not test if they work because I have a USB keyboard and USB mouse)......so please let me know if you are able to use a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse when typing after booting from the nForceSLBoot132DVD.......

2. Procedure to follow: ( Same as Part D from step (1) to step (13) )

(1) Use Disk Utility to partition/format your target HDD volume for OS X 10.6 as GPT/HFS+ volume named OSX_10.6_GPT_A (or your chosen name without spaces)

(2) Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume by going to Info tab in top menu bar after highlighting the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume in the side bar, and making a careful note of the Universal Unique Identifier number:It will be in this format (but obviously different!): CF2E12F1-2459-3DAF-B3D5-CA05B4B65A52

VERY IMPORTANT TO CHECK : OS X target HDD ownership

Right-click on the target OS X HDD volume icon on your Desktop and select Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

Then to ensure that the target OS X HDD volume's root directory is owned by the root user, go to Terminal and type: (note that using 0:0 is equivalent to using root:wheel)

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

This is to make certain that the permissions are not scrambled after the installation of OS X.....and hence that you are able to boot from the OS X 10.6 hard drive........

(3) Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card assuming that it is OpenCL compatible.....save to clipboard (or in a text file) for later use in Section F Part 11B on modifying the com.apple.Boot.plist file......

(4) Run the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer"Presently in my humble opinion Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader with the netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file (and using -x32 kernel flag) is still the tried and tested method (that I personally have used) to use and/or fall back on should the following alternatives be problematic on your MOBO/system; e.g. failed installation, kernel panics, "bombing" of the system etc.....ESPECIALLY for the USB Flash drive OS 10.6. Installer which you definitely want to boot and work reliably......

Search using Google for Chameleon 2.0 RC1 Installer and netkas PC_EFI v10.1 - v10.6 boot file - cannot post links here......

OR

OR

OR

Alternative 3: Run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 completelyOR Alternative 4: Just use the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 boot file as explained below.... and after installing whichever Chameleon bootloader you have chosen, i.e. RC1 or RC2 or RC3 or RC4, in the / directory of the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume, you will see, either with the "hidden and system files" unhidden (see below how to do this) or listed in Terminal using

cd /Volumes/OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume
ls

the following:boot fileExtra folderLibrary folderusr folderplus some ."name" files.....

(5) Now depending on what Chameleon 2.0 bootloader you have installed, you will have to choose the appropriate boot file to use and install it if not already installed......the boot file is normally a hidden file but you can unhide it, or use Terminal commands to overwrite it with a replacement boot file when you change from the "username" directory to the directory containing the replacement boot file....

UNHIDING HIDDEN FILES:

killall Finder

killall Finder

or, you can download and run TinkerTool......

Either delete the now visible Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot file and then drag and drop the PC_EFI v10.1 (RECOMMENDED ONLY if Chameleon 2.0 RC1 has been installed) into the / directory.....and use the -x32 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....ORIf you have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC2, or prefer to install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 overlaid with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file, then go to the Chameleon website.....and look under Latest Releases for Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz [736.38KB]).......orChameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz [744.10KB]Download and unarchive Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz to Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin and copy the RC3 boot file from the i386 folder over either the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot file or the Netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file in the / directory......and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....Or, download and unarchive Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz to Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin and copy the RC4 boot file from the i386 folder over either the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot file or the Netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file in the / directory......and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

To copy the RC3 boot file across into the / directory of the OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume (see below), open Terminal, type the following commands ($ being the default shell prompt - DO NOT TYPE!) cd followed by a space, and then drag and drop the i386 folder into the Terminal window

cp -f boot /Volumes/OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume/

OR

If you have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4, then you can choose to use the installed RC3 or RC4 boot file, or you can overwrite it with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 - v10.6 boot file....and use the arch=i386 kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist.....in my humble opinion the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 bootloader is not to be recommended -so, USE ONLY Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....

OR

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader with the RC3 or RC4 boot file, respectivelyORChameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + RC3 or RC4 boot file......

OR

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 - v10.6 boot file.....as RC2 seems to only work with only a few PCs....Interesting comment from Kabyl at netkas.org

People were having issues with the pkg installer in RC2, and it wasn't fixed yet, so until then there is no pkg installer for RC3.

You can use the old installers and replace /boot if you don't want to install manually, and if you already are using Chameleon, you don't need the installer at all, just replace /boot with the new one.

BUT remember that to boot the mach_kernel into 32bit mode using the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 boot file requires you to use the arch=i386 kernel flag rather than -x32 as used with the netkas PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....If you have any problems booting from your HDD partition, then put either arch=i386 if using RC3 or RC4 bootfile, or -x32 if using PC_EFI v10.1 or V10.2 under Kernel Flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist as well....

So, later in/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plistfind:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

(6) MODIFIED ADVICE: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext not loading/working properly.....henceIf in the /Extra/Extensions, you installed all the kexts included in Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 or RC3 or RC4 /Extra/Extensions,OR if you only loaded one or two kexts in order for the /Extra/Extensions directory to be set up by the Chameleon Installer,then delete them and from the downloaded LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links), that I have conveniently compiled in one folder for myself (NOTE: ALL CREDIT goes the developers of the included applications/kexts/bootloaders and boot files etc.; David Elliott, netkas, Superhai, Psystar, eno, slashack, AnV, Dr. Hurt.....), copy across the following kexts:

ESSENTIAL

fakesmc.kext (32bit and 64bit compatible) - emulates SMC to provide the information required for the Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to decrypt the Apple encrypted files

"Choose either V2 or V1.......whichever "works" for you.......see Changelog for V2.1 onwards...."

LESS ESSENTIAL

AppleNForceATA.kext (32bit only kext proven to work at present - slashack's v0.1 kext or AnV's kext) -

but see BREAKING NEWS

Modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (from Snow Leopard but with nvenet.kext in Plugins renamed) -

found in LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links)

(7) Drag and drop your previously modded and saved DSDT.aml file into the / directory

(8) Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the SMBIOS.plist template included in the LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links), to suit your system hardware/RAM etc.......

A further modification is to insert your OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume UUID number under/against SMUUID......and save the modified SMBIOS.plist and put it in /Extra

(9) Then go to PlatformUUID.kext, and select Show Package Contents and then Contents and then Info.plist.....use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the Info.plist and go to IOKitPersonalities and select PlatformUUID and insert your OSX_10.6_GPT_A volume UUID number under/against PlatformUUID and save the modified Info.plist file

(10) MODIFIED ADVICE: Many forum readers are having problems with the /Extra/Extensions cache file, i.e. Extensions.mkext not loading/working properly.....hence

If you get a kernel panic during booting as follows:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) and then some random numbers and letters or with references to HPET not being assigned to the CPU etc.

Advice:

2. Copy "fresh" extensions across from LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links) into the /Extra Directories

fakesmc.V2 or fakesmc.V1

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

In Leopard (BUT NOT Snow Leopard at present) booting with -f forces the kexts to be loaded from the Extensions folder at bootup and then recreates the Extensions.mkext file....

(11) Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist 32bit template included in the Snow Support Files to:A. Boot the kernel into 32bit mode by entering either the arch=i386 kernel flag with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 boot file installed OR the -x32 kernel flag with the PC_EFI v10.1 boot file installed under/against Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plistB. Provide graphics functionality for your PCI-E graphics card place the graphics string for your graphics card under/against device-properties in com.apple.Boot.plist

(12) Now save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist and put it in /Extra....

(13) Now close all open windows on the Desktop and any open applications...

(14) Download my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso (Beta version) for PATA DVDRW

OR

my nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso (Alpha version)......

and use Disk Utility to burn either .iso file to a DVD-R or DVD+RW disk (because these are what I had and they worked......) and when the DVDRW tray containing the burned DVD opens, close the DVDRW tray again.....

N.B. Burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed ≤ x4

(15) Reboot your PC and press the F8 key (or whichever key you need to) IMMEDIATELY after the message "Press DEL to enter SETUP, Press TAB to display BIOS POST message" or similar appears on-screen, in order to bring up the message "Loading Boot Menu......" and when the PC BIOS "Boot Menu" window appears on-screen, select your DVDRW drive containing the Legacy Boot CD, i.e. nForceSLBoot132DVD from the list of bootable drives presented in the "Boot Menu", and press Enter......

(16) When the custom boot volume theme appears follow the onscreen instructions........namely when the Legacy Boot CD icon appears framed to the left of the display.........remove the nForceSLBoot132DVD from the DVDRW tray.......insert your Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD in the DVDRW tray and close...........wait for the initial DVDRW activity to occur (flashing DVDRW light) for a while to allow the DVD to be recognised......then press F5..........the Mac OS X Install DVD icon should then appear "framed" to the right of the display...

(17) Now type -v (space) -f at the boot: prompt that will appear (as usual with the Chameleon bootloader) in the bottom lefthand corner of the display.......I have asked to you use -v so that you can see what is happening (even though it messes up the friendly green Chameleon desktop)

AND YOU MUST PRESS -f too.......

boot: -v -f

(18) After all the kexts have been loaded in the kernel, the OS X boot process should occur as normal and boot the Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD into the Installer screen..........where you can select your install destination and make you Customize menu choices.......

(19) REMEMBER that when you reboot your PC after install OS X, the BIOS in the CMOS memory will be reset to the default BIOS settings.......so press Del to enter your BIOS Setup and reload your custom BIOS settings into CMOS (hopefully from a saved BIOS profile......)

(20) When the PC reboots again into the Chameleon bootloader, choose the HDD volume onto which you have just installed Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 to boot from and your DSDT.aml file (with the CMOS reset fix) in /Extra will be loaded.......enjoy Snow Leopard.........

PART G. Points to note about running Snow Leopard (SL)

If choosing to do the following, first please note the advice about NOT generating an Extensions.mkext cache file for the kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the USB flash drive OS X Installer nor for the kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the OS X 10.6 installation(s) on your HDD(s)......

The number of kexts in /Extra/Extensions is small enough to have no significant impact on boot times but the benefits of loading the kexts directly from /Extra/Extensions are evident; e.g avoiding problems with kextcaching to generate the Extensions.mkext cache files properly, resulting in essential kexts not being loaded, such as NullCPUPowerManagement.kext......

However, if you wish to, nonetheless, you can use the Terminal to recreate the Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/

Once you have installed and can boot SL on your HDD.......

1. If you, for whatever reason, have added a kext to /System/Library/Extensions, then to make sure that all your kext dependencies will be included in the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext, re-create your /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext by booting into single user mode with:-x32 -s or arch=i386 -s (whichever one you are using), and at the prompt:

mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

exit

"Type kextcache command line all in one line"

2. To ensure that all your kext dependencies will be included in the /Extra/Extensions.mkext, re-create your /Extra/Extensions.mkext by booting into single user mode with:x32 -s or arch=i386 -s (whichever one you are using), and at the prompt:

mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

exit

"Type kextcache command line all in one line"

Or if both steps are required....

mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

exit

"Type each of the kextcache command lines all in one line"

H. nForce chipset MOBO issues, including 32bit versus 64bit driver (kext) compatibility/availability

1. If you have a SATA DVDRW rather than a PATA DVDRW, and you have have some problems getting it to work......you could substitute MedDevil's AppleNForceATA Test kext for slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext or AnV's modified slashack AppleNforceATA kext to see if it works for you......

2. nForceLAN.kext may be problematic.......if you find that your installed OS X system has a kernel panic when booting, then reboot in verbose mode (-v flag) and look for problems linked to nForceLAN.kext loading....e.g. could not load early enough in boot process etc....

Check that you have installed the nForceLAN.kext (64bit - eno's kext) in /System/Library/Extensions/........this can be done manually, or you can use eno's Installer Package.......and that you have repaired its ownership and permissions if it was installed manualy..........to repair ownership and permissions after a manual install of the nForceLAN.kext, do it manually:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

or use Kext Helper b7, or see here for Kext Utility v2.4.2........and here.........If there are still problems with the nForceLAN.kext, then first rebuild Extensions.mkext, as explained Part G. above.........go to the Terminal and type:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

and be aware of the nvenet.kext (which is apparently a kext for Nvidia ethernet on MCP73/MCP79 systems) which can be problematic for some MOBOs......this because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware.In 10.5.7, and 10.5.8 and 10.6, it is located in/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns....

So, take a COPY of the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Snow Leopard, and go to its PlugIns folder to either remove nvenet.kext or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad.....then put this IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Extra/Extensions/....

Alternatively,

1. Put the modified IONetwokingFamily.kext that I included in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3 in /E/E/

2. Create a symbolic link in /S/L/E/ for it

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s IONetwokingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

3. Rename the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig
ls -l
exit

Note, however, that some nForce chipset MOBOs appear to work succesfully with nvenet.kext and not with nForceLAN.kext...........

Finally, the Netgear GA311 PCI NIC (Realtek RTL8169S chipset) works OTB giving instant internet/network access.....

Other OS X supported Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet PCI NICs reported to work OTB are:

TP-Link TG-3269
Trendnet TEG-PCITXR
Attansic L1
Broadcom 5721
NetXtreme NIC
Dynex DX-PCIGB
Planet ENW-9605 (Realtek 8169SC)

3. If you are having unexplained kernel panics, then try netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext in place of fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.......they are in

LATEST VERSION Snow_Support_Files (see BREAKING NEWS for links)

4. Audio has now been fixed for the Asus P5N32E SLI Plus MOBO Asus SupremeFX audio card (except for Front Panel Headphones).....see post #2 in this thread......

5. Sleep is still an issue to be dealt with......watch this space......

PART I. Booting Snow Leopard from Leopard volume Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader screen

Here is my procedure for booting SL from a Leopard volume Chameleon bootloader screen......

1. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 onto your Leopard volume using Dr. Hurt's Installer or run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3

2. Google search for netkas' PC_EFI v10.3 boot file and download it

3. Replace the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 boot file with netkas' PC_EFI v10.3 boot file

4. In your Leopard volume, you will now have an /Extra directory, containing an Extensions folder (containing Disabler.kext.....?) and a Themes folder (as usual when installing the Chameleon bootloader.....)

5. Now into the /Extra directory on your Leopard volume, add a new folder named 10.6

6. Inside 10.6 add a folder named Extra, and inside this folder add a folder named Extensions

7. Inside /Extra/10.6/Extra/Extensions, place copies of the kexts from the /Extra/Extensions folder on your SL volume

8. Inside /Extra on your Leopard volume, place a copy of the com.apple.boot.plist from the /Extra directory on your SL volume, which should contain the graphics EFI string for your video card to enable full functioning with hardware acceleration, multiple resolutions and resolution switching etc. in SL.......

Note: When booting into Leopard, the com.apple.Boot.plist file in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration is loaded over this com.apple.Boot.plist......this is my guess......

You should now have something similar to this (although you may have additional kexts as required for your MOBO....):10.6_in_Extra.png ( 25.54K )

9. To boot into your Leopard volume......do so as normal.......the Leopard volume icon will be framed.......so just press Return.....

10. To boot into your SL volume, use your arrow keys to frame the SL icon.....then press Return

To see what is happening, you can boot with -v......

IF you have error messages and/or KPs appearing then boot with

mach_kernel arch=i386

(the KP may have occured because you are running Leopard with the Voodoo kernel......the bootloader will/may look for mach_kernel.voodoo...... it depends how your Leopard com.apple.Boot.plist has been set up to load the Voodoo kernel.......also arch=i386 will ensure that SL boots in 32bit mode.......)

so that the boot: prompt appears in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen....

boot: mach_kernel arch=i386
then press Return......

Hopefully, you will now boot into SL from your Leopard volume's Chameleon bootloader.

ALTERNATIVELY if you don't like typing in the "mach_kernel arch=i386" boot flags to boot SL, then you can install, set up and use (hopefully successfully....) xiezhy's Boot Think (version 2.3.18 currently......), which is an alternative bootloader to Chameleon 2.0.....

PART J. Previous Versions of Snow_Support_Files

Snow_Support_Files (V1.0)Snow_Support_Files_V1.1 (includes Changelog V1.1)
Snow_Support_Files_V2.0 (includes Changelog V2.0)
Snow_Support_Files_V2.1 (includes Changelog V2.1)
Snow_Support_Files_V2.2 (includes Changelog V2.2)

PART K. Developers/Contributors Corner
1. aqua-mac / aqua-mac : Transparent "About This Mac"

By the way, here is a link to the Snow Leopard fixed HUD style "About this Mac" window as I see a few of you have asked the question - is it available. There is a backup of the original file as well as some that I made. Thanks to Toastido.The modified AboutThisMac.nib file will make your "About this Mac" window "transparent".....

2. Giorgio_multi / Giorgio_multi NVinject_SLI : Dual Equal RAM Graphics Cards woking under SL (32bit)

I send you my modified nvinject.kext working with 2 Graphics card in Snow. (only 32 bit)It works also with 1 graphic card and in Leopard.I'm working for 64 bit version, but I have some problems.If you want add this kext to your guide, there is no problem.The 2 graphics cards must have the same amount of RAM, but can have different CPUs (i.e a 8500GT and a 9600GT)

3. Developer....? / j o e l http://rapidshare.co...upsl_nforce.zip : Speed up booting I managed to speed up the boot time by using this nForceIOATAFamily.kext

I think the kext is 32bit so you would need to use arch=i386 or -x32 when booting, depending on your bootloader....

Installation:

Place nForceIOATAFamily.kext in the same folder as AppleNForceATA.kext (Unix executable file in the folder is not run)

Note: I have compared the Info.plist of nForceIOATAFamily.kext with that from the IOATAFamily.kext from 10.5.6.....the only apparent difference is in the OSBundleRequired property value.....

IOATAFamily.kext from 10.5.6 value is Local-Root

nForceIOATAFamily.kext value is Root

Usage of OSBundleRequired property value:

Root - This KEXT is required to mount root, regardless of where root comes from; for example, platform drivers and families, PCI, or USB.

Network-Root - This KEXT is required to mount root on a remote volume; for example, the network family, Ethernet drivers, or NFS.

Local-Root - This KEXT is required to mount root on a local volume; for example, the storage family, disk drivers, or file systems.

Console - This KEXT is required to provide character console support (single-user mode); for example, keyboard drivers or the ADB family.

Safe Boot - This KEXT is required even during safe-boot (unnecessary extensions disabled); for example, mouse drivers or graphics drivers.

BUT be aware that when a kext's OSBundleRequired property is set to “Root”, it will always be loaded by BootX, even in single-user or safe-boot modes.....so, should the kext panic, the system itself may panic, requiring reinstallation of the OS or booting off the Mac OS X Install DVD.....therefore, unless a KEXT is absolutely required to mount root, its OSBundleRequired property should not be set to 'Root'.....

Plus that in PlugIns of nForceIOATAFamily.kext you have:

nForceAppleGenericPCATA.kext
nForceAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
nForceIOATABlockStorage.kext
nForceIOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext

all with their OSBundleRequired property value set as 'Root', whereas in PlugIns of the 10.5.6 IOATAFamily.kext you only have:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
IOATABlockStorage.kext
IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext

all with their OSBundleRequired property value set as 'Local-Root'.....Nevertheless, the nForceIOATAFamily.kext reduces the boot time to about 30 seconds on my SL system.....

4. MeDevil / aryajuanda http://www.mediafire...php?2mnxd0j44mf

Alternative AppleNForceATA.kext compiled for Snow Leopard

its a applenforceATA.kext i recompile in xcode 3.2 for 10.6 os

User verdict from haroot

i use the one by Arya, everything is stable as long as u don't run a sata dvd apparently lol, large file transfers work fine, im transfering a 26gb dmg from an ntfs partition no problem

5. Netkas / Slice & Mozo & usr-sse2 http://www.projectos...?... : Sensor Monitoring using FakeSMC in conjunction with iStat Menus (or in my humble opinion less usefully with iStat Pro)

First of all thanks to Netkas for the new era in Hackintoshes - FakeSMC.Now we joined our efforts to make a tool for monitoring temperatures, fans and other sensors or parameters.Mozo - maintainer, me and usr-sse2 - team members.The project is based on Netkas's 2.5 version but with plugin support. It is opensource and located at www.assembla.com.Sources can be obtained by SVN svn co http://subversion.as...com/svn/fakesmc Plugins created:

IntelThermal - Intel CPU temperature monitoring.
LPCMonitor - temperatures and fans from ITE,
Winbond and Fintek controllers. - now replaced by SuperIO plugin
TZplugin - temperature from ACPI device "Thermal Zone" - now excluded by ACPI monitor replacement NVidia GPU temperature and FAN Intel X3100 temperature Radeon temperature
ACPI monitor - temperatures, fans, voltage, current - all that you can find in your DSDT. Manual DSDT modifying required.

A. HOW TO INSTALL FIRST TIME

1. Do not install plugin separately!

2. Do not install FakeSMC or any its plugins into /Extra!

3. Delete any other existing fakesmc.kext.
Before installing FakeSMC.kext

4. Remove X3100 if you have no IntelX3100 graphics.

5. Remove ACPImonitor if you don't know what to do with it.

6. Remove nVidia plugin if you have no nVidia graphics.

7. Remove IntelThermal if you have an AMD CPU and then type the following Terminal commands:

sudo -s
cp -r -v FakeSMC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

8. Reboot.

9. Remove SuperIO plugin if it doesn't find any supported chip.

10. If you get a KP, reboot once more. You may need to reboot up to three times.

Then hopefully, in your kernel.log you will see something similar to:

Jul 28 19:50:30 kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU family 0x6, model 0xf, stepping 0xbJul 28 19:50:30 kernel[0]: IntelThermal: Found 4 cores 0 threadsJul 28 19:50:30 kernel[0]: IntelThermal: Manually CPU Tjmax 100Jul 28 19:50:30 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Probing NSCJul 28 19:50:30 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Probing ITEJul 28 19:50:30 kernel[0]: NTFS volume name Win7_Pro_64, version 3.1.Jul 28 19:50:31 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Detected ITE IT8718F on 0x290Jul 28 19:50:31 kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrivedJul 28 19:50:31 kernel[0]: PTKawainVi: startedJul 28 19:50:31 kernel[0]: Vendor ID: 10de, Device ID: 402Jul 28 19:50:31 kernel[0]: Architecture: 40000Jul 28 19:50:31 kernel[0]: nVidia Geforce 8600GTJul 28 19:50:32 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Binding key Th0HJul 28 19:50:32 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Binding key TN0PJul 28 19:50:32 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Binding key VC0CJul 28 19:50:32 kernel[0]: SuperIO: CPU Fan name is associated with hardware Fan0Jul 28 19:50:32 kernel[0]: SuperIO: Binding key F1Ac

I have installed iStat Menus 3.03 on a 14 day trial and now see:
post-200327-1280525140_thumb.png
as the iStat Pro 4.92 Desktop widget does not show all 4 core temperatures........I entered 'CPU Fan' for the FakeSMCSuperIO.kext Info.plist 'Name' for Fan0.

If you have ITE chip you can replace SuperIO plugin by SMCITEController plugin for use with smcK utility: smcK_Stat_i.app.zip because SuperIO supports ITE, Winbond, Fintek; whereas SMCITEController supports only ITE but covers more functions than SuperIO.
FakeSMC.kext changelog26.07.2010New revision rev391* Add Radeon support* Add NSC support* Add CPU freq monitor for use with smcK utility.* different enhancements28.07.2010Bugs corrected, new devices added

B. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED rev218Remove rev218 completely. Clear kernelcache.Remove unnecessary plugins from rev391 as above. Remove ACPImonitor if you are not intending to use it and/or know what to do with it.Install rev391 into /System/Library/Extensions/ via terminal commands as shown aboveReboot.If you get a KP, reboot once more. You may need to reboot up to three times.

6. MeDevil & Slashack & AnV / imk AppleNForceATA_Snow.zip ( 728.29K )

A functional 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext

For those unfamiliar with XCode and it folders, I (that is verdant) have uploaded the kext here for your convenience......

Quote from imk's post here:

This likely doesn't fix SATA DVD drives. All I did was take AnV's driver above and make it load under 64-bit. Any chipset support or features would have been provided by him (or in the original MeDevil drivers).I have an EVGA 680i board (MCP55) and decided to test out this kext.Upon booting, I noticed that it had an unresolved symbol for “__ZN14AppleNForceATA17activateDMAEngineEv”.I took a look at the included source code and saw that AppleNForceATA::activateDMAEngine() did not exist.This was a simple fix.activateDMAEngine() comes from IOPCIATA, so I looked at Apple's source and simply copied their function:void AppleNForceATA::activateDMAEngine(void) { // clear error bit prior to starting. *_bmStatusReg = (UInt8) mBMStatusError | mBMStatusInt | (_currentCommand-&--#62;getUnit() == 0 ? mBMStatusDrv0 : mBMStatusDrv1); OSSynchronizeIO(); // set the address pointer. *_bmPRDAddresReg = OSSwapHostToLittleInt32((UInt32) _prdTablePhysical); OSSynchronizeIO(); // activate the DMA engine. UInt8 theCommand = (_currentCommand-&--#62;getFlags() & mATAFlagIORead) ? mBMCmdStartInput : mBMCmdStartOutput; *_bmCommandReg = theCommand; OSSynchronizeIO(); }

I compiled it and it loaded with no problem and works just fine.

<div class="codemain">Darwin Ishimura.local 10.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Thu Jul 29 00:26:49 EDT 2010; dopefish:xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64</div>

It has been noted by myself and other users that the boot time is increased when using this 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext, even if you use the 32bit and 64bit patched ioatafamily.kext patched for fast boot times (posted by scififan68).......even when I changed the OSBundleRequired property value in the Info.plist file of the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext and of the kexts in PlugIns from Local-Root to Root.

To boot into 64bit kernel mode, you should use arch=x86_64 under Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist.........

BUT REMEMBER that ALL YOUR KEXTS in /Extra/Extensions/ and in /System/Library/Extensions/ MUST BE EITHER Universal 32bit/64bit OR 64bit kexts AND NOT 32bit ONLY kexts........

To immediately confirm that you have booted the 64bit kernel, boot in verbose mode using -v and look for the boot screen message: "Kernel is LP64"..............

You can also check via the Desktop by going to System Profiler and selecting Software; you should see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"............

You can also check via the Terminal command

uname -a

and if you have booted the 64bit kernel, you should see "RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64" rather than "RELEASE_I386 i386".........

Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO

NEWS UPDATES: (In reverse order for easy addition)

6. Investigation of SLEEP:

I have investigated the functioning of sleep under Leopard 10.5.6 and found that when the CPU and/or RAM is overclocked, sleep stops functioning properly.......this may be true of 10.6.x, assuming I get sleep to function via DSDT patching.......if it is, then I will keep the overclocking and forget about sleep.........

5. Patched DSDT.aml for Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus MOBO that includes the RTC CMOS Reset Fix, new DSDT HDAEnabler audio patch (based that posted by THe KiNG in the Project OSX Forum) but with the Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus MOBO Audio Device ID 1043:81f2 inserted by me......and a AD1998b.FIX.kext (based the AD2000b kext by THe KiNG as modified by Phoenix Wright in the Project OSX Forum that no longer gives the single "sound assertion" error) but with the AD1998b CodecID 299112843 inserted by me.....

4. Updating to 10.6.4 (as did updating to 10.6.3) "breaks" the audio fix using the AD1988B.Fix.kext (i.e. Legacy audio kext) Solution:

In /System/Library/Extensions/, rename the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext to AppleHDA.kext10.6.4.orig and install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext (in Snow_Support_Files_V2.3), then repair ownership and permissions of the Extensions folder........using Conti's pfix v3.0 or cVAD's Kext Utility v2.4.2.......or if you prefer using Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext
sudo chmod -R go-w /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

3. About This Mac CPU Speed reporting a CPU speed of 3.0GHz as 3.1GHz

Update 2:

For some as yet unfathomed reason, the issue of mis-reporting disappears when the CPU speed is raised to 3.20GHz in BIOS.........a CPU speed of 3.20GHz in BIOS is then reported as 3.20 GHz in System Profiler and 3.2GHz for the About This Mac CPU Speed...... :huh:

Thus, it is no longer necessary to put superhai's SMBIOSResolver.kext in /Extra/Extensions....... :)

I have again checked the CPU frequency reporting using both sysctl hw.cpufrequency and system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Speed, and obtain the following outputs:

sysctl hw.cpufrequency

hw.cpufrequency: 3204000000

sysctl hw.cpufrequency_max

hw.cpufrequency_max: 3204000000

sysctl hw.cpufrequency_min

hw.cpufrequency_min: 3204000000

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Speed

Processor Speed: 3.20 GHz

Bus Speed: 1.42 GHz

CPU-Z reports the CPU speed as 3201.7 MHz

Update 1:

Issue resolved by including superhai's SMBIOSResolver.kext in /Extra/Extensions but its Info.plist was edited by myself to match my SMBIOS.plist data for my RAM and a MacPro3,1 data rather than iMac9,1 data......a CPU speed of 3.0GHz in BIOS is then reported as 3.00 GHz in System Profiler and 3GHz for the About This Mac CPU Speed...... :)

I have now checked the CPU frequency reporting using both sysctl hw.cpufrequency and system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Speed, and obtain the following outputs:

$ cd /usr/sbin

$ sysctl hw.cpufrequency

hw.cpufrequency: 3000000000

$ sysctl hw.cpufrequency_max

hw.cpufrequency_max: 3000000000

$ sysctl hw.cpufrequency_min

hw.cpufrequency_min: 3000000000

$ system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Speed

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

$ sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Note sysctl hw.cpufrequency is not reporting a real number AFAIK but a constant value passed to the system on bootup by the fakeSMC. The kernel and fakeSMC will determine the actual speed on-the-fly based on core loadings and the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences, which sysctl does not return......sysctl hw.frequency_max reports the maximum possible frequency the fakeSMC thinks that the processor is capable of achieving when you boot it.....

I have checked under Vista using CPU-Z v1.52.2 and the application shows that the reported CPU frequency is varying between 2999.9 MHz and 3000.1 MHz, typically showing 3000.0 MHz.......so OS X is simply reporting the average.....

If you want About This Mac to report a different number you need to edit the SMBIOS.plist entry here:

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
	  <string>Your CPU max speed in MHz</string>

e.g. putting in 3000 will report 3 GHz in About This Mac (at least it does for me)......

2. AUDIO is now FIXED (except for Front Panel Headphones)......ONLY SLEEP remains to be sorted......

Audio Fix:

This requires the use of the AD1988B.Fix.kext, which is a pseudo-kernel extension i.e. a pseudo-kext (as it contains only an Info.plist file) via lancelotu from XyZ, that needs two DSDT patches.....

This kext is available as a 64bit kext and as a 32bit kext (at least I think so.......and may also not give as high a microphone signal?.......since it was classed as obsolete by lancelotu .....anyhow, this is the one I have used first......both work.........but I will be testing and comparing both when I have more time.....)

They are here.......whichever AD1988B.Fix.kext is chosen, it should be placed in /Extra/Extensions.........

Together these two "devices", i.e. the pseudo-kext (i.e. legacy kext or plist kext) and the DSDT patching, enable sound from the Asus SupremeFX audio card (with the AD1988B chipset) in Snow Leopard.....except for the Front Panel Headphones......

In his post lancelotu says that "Note that this has no front panel headphones working (trying to figure that out) but at least microphone is working great now"......meaning the AD1988b.Fix.kext......hence, I do appear to have front mic but no Front Panel Headphones with Front Panel Audio set to HD Audio in BIOS......with no apparent change when switching to Legacy AC97.....

However, rather than the DSDT patches from lancelotu, which I believe may be specific for the Asus P5K series MOBOs.....see here, I have used THe KiNG's generic audio DSDT patches which should work for all audio codecs.......

On my Asus P5N32E SLI Plus MOBO DSDT, the audio device is on _ADR, 0x000F0001, so find the Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001) and change Device (AZAD) to Device (HDEF).......BUT KEEP the line Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001) in the DSDT...

If the device is not present it must be added......according to THe KiNG, in most other cases the audio device is apparently in DSDT on _ADR 0x001B0000 and the device is often named Device (AZAL)......or Device (AZA). Remember to replace XXXX where XXXX is AZA, AZAL, or AZAD with HDEF in "Notify (\_SB.PCI0.XXXX, 0x02)" to give "Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HDEF, 0x02)"

In the as-yet non-audio patched "CMOS reset fix" patched DSDT file, you will see:

Near to the top of the file:

GP49, 8

}

Name (VSTA, 0x01)

Name (OSFX, 0x01)

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

where the DTGP method patch needs to be inserted between Name (OSFL, 0x01) and Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized), and

Around the middle of the file:

Device (AZAD)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001)

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x15,

0x05

})

}

Device (MMAC)

where the lines in blue need to be replaced with the _DSM patch......

Hence, after patching with the code in red, you should see:

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

and

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

Device (MMAC)

I had to force compile the dsdt.dsl file to generate the dsdt.aml file, which I then renamed to DSDT.aml......

I guess there are some layout/syntax errors in the patching; BUT if the compiling goes wrong, it does not always mean the patching is incorrect.......some OEMs just ship a poorly written DSDT in their BIOS......

But as you can force the dsdt.dsl file to compile, even if there are errors, using fassl's DSDT Patcher : /path/to/DSDT\ Patcher -f dsdt.dsl

To show that audio is now working (except for Front Panel Headphones), see:

post-200327-1253845257_thumb.png post-200327-1253845696_thumb.png

post-200327-1253845280_thumb.png post-200327-1253845289_thumb.png

post-200327-1253845725_thumb.png

1. Lowering CPU Core Temperatures

Rename via Terminal using sudo mv command.......

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.bad

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext.bad

to lower the CPU core temperatures to Leopard temperatures, as Snow Leopard appears to cause the core temperatures to increase by about 10°C or so in my experience.....

SUCCESS!!!!!!......... :thumbsup_anim:

Now typing from either:

1. My OS X 10.6.3 system installed using a USB flash drive Mac OS X DVD Installer onto a GPT/HFS+ volume on a portable 2.5" USB2.0 External HDD enclosure.......or

2. My OS X 10.6.3 system cloned from the portable 2.5" USB2.0 External IDE HDD enclosure onto a MBR/HFS+ volume on an eSATA/USB 2.0 External SATA HDD enclosure......

3. My OS X 10.6.3 system installed using my nForceSLBoot132DVD onto a GPT/HFS+ volume on a USB 2.0/eSATA External SATA HDD enclosure......

Auto updated to 10.6.1 and then installed optional packages direct from Retail OS X Install DVD without any problems........then using the standalone Combo Updaters, I updated to 10.6.2 and now to 10.6.3 without any problems......

All my SL systems are using the vanilla kernel and 32bit mode via arch=i386 Kernel Flag in com.apple.Boot.plist......with my Netgear GA311 PCI NIC (Realtek RTL8169S chipset) working OTB giving me instant internet/network access.....

Time Machine works.....as did Migration Assistant, transferring all my Applications, User settings and files/documents etc. across from my Leopard 10.5.6 system on my OS_X_Backup volume (MBR/HFS+)..... :)

Sleep is not working properly......display goes black......but PC fans stay on and display cannot be woken up.......needs investigating....... :(

post-200327-1252294763_thumb.png

-x32

I assumed it loaded 32bit by default but will try with -x32.....thanks.... :huh:

UPDATE: Same result attempting to run with mach_kernel.....and mach_kernel.test7....... :(

I will repair permissions on kexts and generate a new Extensions.mkext......

UPDATE: Same result attempting to run with mach_kernel..... :thumbsup_anim:

I haven't start updating my P5N-E SLI. still with 10.5.7. Still waiting for 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext.

But I am running 10.6 on a new rig (GA-P35-DS3R), works like a charm...

It seems that as usual the 650i chipset does not like vanilla kernels......without a 10.0.0 kernel that the 650i likes, a 64bit AppleNforceATA will not make a difference...... ;)

I am running 10.5.6 currently because my updates to 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 resulted in the loss of my 100% working sleep function in 10.5.6 and all previous versions back to 10.5.1.... :)

remove that appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext and applehpet.kext

I had removed cpupowermanagement but not applehpet.....will try that.....thanks..... ;)

BTW what kernel are you running in 10.5.7?

UPDATE: Still no sleep with 10.5.7 and 10.5.8......

I'm writing from a full working SL (expect sleep which has never worked even on leopard) on a 790i MB. You have to update to update to PC EFI 10.1 (based on Chamaleon RC1), Normal Chamaleon RC1/RC2 gives a KP. Vanilla kernel works even with 4 cores, hdaenabler doesn't work, you have to inject it through dsdt. Boot with -x32 because applenforceata doesn't support yet 64 bit.

I'm writing from a full working SL (expect sleep which has never worked even on leopard) on a 790i MB. You have to update to update to PC EFI 10.1 (based on Chamaleon RC1), Normal Chamaleon RC1/RC2 gives a KP. Vanilla kernel works even with 4 cores, hdaenabler doesn't work, you have to inject it through dsdt. Boot with -x32 because applenforceata doesn't support yet 64 bit.

I have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC1 and then replaced its boot file with PC_EFI v10.1 boot file and have -x32 cpus=1 maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra......set to load mach_kernel

I have fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ currently but previously had dsmos.kext (but fakesmc.kext does not work well with Voodoo kernel, so may revert back to dsmos.kext when Voodoo 10.0.0 comes out......unless it no longer blocks Dont steal mac os.kext...)

post-200327-1252163065_thumb.png

......still the same result.....

Try this kernel from modbin http://rapidshare.com/files/276040586/mach...modbin.zip.html that's the one I used at the first boot before trying vanilla. I'm also using AppleNForceATA by Anv, maybe that can make the difference. You also have to copy the SL partition uuid taken from disc utility into platformuuid.kext info.plist. Also you could try to remove DSDT.aml, maybe it's the problem.

EDIT: Still no sleep even with vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment and AppleHPET loaded.

Try this kernel from modbin http://rapidshare.com/files/276040586/mach...modbin.zip.html that's the one I used at the first boot before trying vanilla. I'm also using AppleNForceATA by Anv, maybe that can make the difference. You also have to copy the SL partition uuid taken from disc utility into platformuuid.kext info.plist. Also you could try to remove DSDT.aml, maybe it's the problem.

EDIT: Still no sleep even with vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment and AppleHPET loaded.

I will do....thanks..... ^_^

I have already got the SL volume UUID in my SMBIOS in /Extra and in Info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext......

I use DSDT.aml for the cmos reset fix by modifying the RTC IO segment length from 4 to 2.......

Device (RTC)
			  {
				  Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				  Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
				  {
					  IO (Decode16,
						  0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						  0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						  0x00,			   // Alignment
						  0x02,			   // Length
						  )

but I will try each of your suggestions.....

UPDATE:

Despite ensuring that the chosen kernel was loaded during bootup by specifying the kernel in the com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration....trying with and without DSDT.aml.......and also trying with AnV's AppleNForceATA.......same result:

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Why do have applertc in E/E if you have already patched dsdt? Try to remove all the kekts that are not strictly needed and leave just nullcpupm, openhalt, applenforce, uuid and fakesmc; you can also try to update to pc efi 10.2.

Are you injecting video with efi strings? Because i read somewhere that it could be required.

Last thing you can try to see if you can atleast boot retail DVD simply copying it into an empty partition with disk utility and then installing pcefi plus all the required kekts on it.

I'm also booting from a usb guid partioned drive with pcefi installed, dunno if it's important but maybe can change something.

Why do have applertc in E/E if you have already patched dsdt? Try to remove all the kekts that are not strictly needed and leave just nullcpupm, openhalt, applenforce, uuid and fakesmc; you can also try to update to pc efi 10.2.

Are you injecting video with efi strings? Because i read somewhere that it could be required.

Last thing you can try to see if you can atleast boot retail DVD simply copying it into an empty partition with disk utility and then installing pcefi plus all the required kekts on it.

I'm also booting from a usb guid partioned drive with pcefi installed, dunno if it's important but maybe can change something.

AppleRTC is a recent addition......I did not have it in originally.....just put it in case I had a cmos reset when trying without the modded DSDT.aml.....I will be removing it again....and trying with only nullcpupm, openhalt, applenforce, uuid and fakesmc....

AFAIK PCI_EFI v10.2 Beta has only been tested on Intel chipset MOBOs.....?

Yes I am using a graphics string in my com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra......

I am using a USB GPT partitioned HDD with Chamelon 2.0 RC1 + PCI_EFI v10.1 boot file, onto which I installed OS X......

UPDATE:

I now believe my problems are related to the OSInstall.mkpg method which appears to cause installation problems (see here).....rather than to a 650i kernel issue.....since the 790i can boot from the vanilla kernel......

So, I will

A. Restore the Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD to a USB flash drive partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+ single volume (volume name with no spaces) with the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader + PC_EFI v10.1 boot file.....plus my cmos reset fix DSDT.aml plus the Extensions directory and Extensions.mkext file from my 18GB USB HDD partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+ single volume (volume name with no spaces).....

B. Hopefully boot the Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD on the USB flash drive and reinstall OS X 10.6 (with all Customize options, including printers now chosen....) the 18GB USB HDD without going via Leopard.......

verdant, you are doing a great job, good luck with it! I was also trying to install SL, but don't have enough understanding with dsdt, smc..... So, I'm sure you will make SL run on P5N32-E Sli plus, and I hope, I will be the second :(

verdant, you are doing a great job, good luck with it! I was also trying to install SL, but don't have enough understanding with dsdt, smc..... So, I'm sure you will make SL run on P5N32-E Sli plus, and I hope, I will be the second :)

I will keep you updated.......busy with it now........ :)

UPDATE:

I have not reported back yet because I have been:

1. Transferring my successful USB OS_10.6_Installer setup from a 16GB USB 2.0 flash drive to a 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive......

2. Transferring my test install from an external USB 2.0 18GB HDD to a eSATA/USB2.0 JBOD enclosure with two HDDs.....

one set up as 3 GPT 77GB test volumes for 10.6 and

the other as 3 MBR 77 GB test volumes for 10.6......

this way I can test out installation procedures/systems for SATA/USB on GPT and on MBR volumes........ :)

Only problem it is that USB being slower than SATA means that it is taking some time......

Happy that you got it working :( Now I'm trying to get sleep working, but I haven't understood yet what's the problem. Something that changed from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 now prevents sleep from working.. Maybe something related to appleacpiplatform?

Happy that you got it working :D Now I'm trying to get sleep working, but I haven't understood yet what's the problem. Something that changed from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 now prevents sleep from working.. Maybe something related to appleacpiplatform?

Thanks.....the fact that you were running OK on the vanilla kernel made me look elsewhere for the problem which I appreciate......that is the OSInstall.mkpg method, which I may encounter again when I do my MBR install guide sometime after I finish the GPT install guide.......

I will be looking at sound and sleep problems as soon as I have finished my install guide......I am getting PMs asking how soon it will be finished....... :unsure:

I got sound working with usual legacy kext and following this guide by The KiNG http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry2395 that explain how to emulate hdaenabler through dsdt; just pay attenction to keep your original audio _ADR address, which will probably different from the one in the guide (mine is _ADR, 0x000F0001) and if you don't find a device AZAL, it may be that it's called AZAD (it was on my system). About sleep, I found that disabling usb legacy support in bios and enabling vanilla intelcpupm (or installing sleepenabler.kext) brings sleep back :unsure:. However when the system wakes up it becomes terribly slow and totally unusable.. Maybe it's something related to non patched usb kekts?

I got sound working with usual legacy kext and following this guide by The KiNG http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry2395 that explain how to emulate hdaenabler through dsdt; just pay attenction to keep your original audio _ADR address, which will probably different from the one in the guide (mine is _ADR, 0x000F0001) and if you don't find a device AZAL, it may be that it's called AZAD (it was on my system). About sleep, I found that disabling usb legacy support in bios and enabling vanilla intelcpupm (or installing sleepenabler.kext) brings sleep back :D . However when the system wakes up it becomes terribly slow and totally unusable.. Maybe it's something related to non patched usb kekts?

Thanks.......you have saved me time by sorting your sound out while I have been writing the installation guide because previously THe KiNG's approach to audio worked the best with my Asus Supreme FX audio card so was planning to follow his approach to audio on Snow Leopard too......

I am still worried how badly the system reacts upon waking from sleep...... ;)

So, I will focus on the audio side first....... :)

thanks so much verdant!

your such a beast at this, you should make your own distro!

i cant wait for you to finish it so i can install SL!

No problem......please PM me with any points, sections, procedures etc. that you think need clarifying or more explanation......as this has been written on the fly whilst carrying out the procedures described......writing the guide on a real Mac whilst installing Snow Leopard on my hack..... ;)

I'm currently running Snow Leopard on 64bit mode. I've been tried your method before but it's weird. During installation, KP happening and i can't continue my progress. Anyone suggetion?

If you have a nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO with a non-AHCI compliant nForce chipset (meaning you need to use an AppleNForceATA.kext that is currently ONLY 32bit compatible), then you need to boot the kernel into 32bit mode NOT 64bit mode using either -x32 or arch=i386 as the Kernel Flag.......