VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

IMPORTANT NOTE

This topic is pretty much dead for everything other than ESXi. If you are using a current version of VMware hosted products such as Workstation then this topic is the best for enabling Mac OS X support: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220750. Also MSoK has a summary topic here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=243274. I will create a new topic once I have done some new work on ESXi support.

Update 1: Edited 3 posts into one

Update 2: The files can now be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-voodoo

http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-wks7 (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support)

Update 2: Would everyone make sure they add or change lines in VMX to this. It solves quite a few problems:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:

• VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Problem Resolution

To help me understand some of the issues that are being seen can I ask everyone who has a problem to post the following information please when first logging the problem:

• VMware product and version being used
  • Host operating system
  • Host CPU
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
  • Please attach the VMX file
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file

(Please remember I have stated that I do not support anything other than vanilla with this method.)

For manual clarifications and additional updates from testing; e.g. ESX configuration please use your judgement as to whether to post this information. Also remember I do this in my spare time, and have full time job, family and other interests, so I will answer when I can.

Experimental Package for Core 2 Quad and Core i7

Various issues have been raised with these processors. I have put together an experimental update to the package which uses the Voodoo 2 alpha 3 kernel. If you are having issues then please try the changes. If you are not experiencing any problems do not use this package until such time as it is rolled into the main one. If you have a non-Core processor but that is VT-x enabled such as P4D, then this may also be useful to you.

If you do try it then read the manual and the update PDFs thoroughly before starting.

manual.pdf

voodoo_test.pdf

virtualbox 3.0 beta possible

first thanks for the post !

have not done any testing yet, but VB 3.0 might also be a good candidate, .. it's free

don't have vt-x on my desktop,... so need to upgrade,...

can you maybe try, to use your working VM image, and give VB 3.0 a shot ?

it be nice to be able to fire up an VM at work with leo in it,...

virtualbox 3.0 beta possible

first thanks for the post !

have not done any testing yet, but VB 3.0 might also be a good candidate, .. it's free

don't have vt-x on my desktop,... so need to upgrade,...

can you maybe try, to use your working VM image, and give VB 3.0 a shot ?

it be nice to be able to fire up an VM at work with leo in it,...

Sorry don't use VirtualBox and not sure it supports enough of the hardware required to make this work.

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post and the package is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2528947...04e75f6e8ebb871.

Donk,

Thanks for this it works so smoothly!

Can I provide some feedback for changes to your manual?

Section 4.1.1:

Consider a new item to explain a bit more clearly about running id and show which number one needs. In line 3 I was unsure what the UID of the guest user was!

I struggled to get into the boot screen that allowed me to enter boot options like -v -f -x. Could you add instructions how to do this?

Chris

Donk,

Thanks for this it works so smoothly!

Can I provide some feedback for changes to your manual?

Section 4.1.1:

Consider a new item to explain a bit more clearly about running id and show which number one needs. In line 3 I was unsure what the UID of the guest user was!

I struggled to get into the boot screen that allowed me to enter boot options like -v -f -x. Could you add instructions how to do this?

Chris

Of course feedback is great. Manual was a little hurried written over the last 3 days. If I didn't get it done now it would have been weeks before I could release as about to hit a busy spot at work and then family holiday.

1. To get the uid open a terminal prompt as the user you have logged into Leopard. At the prompt type id and you should get output like this:

uid=501(donk) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),98(_lpadmin),81(_appserveradm),79(_appserverusr),80(admin)

I have highlighted the number that is required. If a single user system it is likely to be 501.

2. Get the boot prompt requires some quick key presses as the timeout values in VMware's booter is very quick. The best way is to make sure that the guest has focus at the BIOS screen and hold down the Alt key (Windows/Linux) or Option key (Mac OS X). This brings up the prompt as shown in the first attached screenshot. Press the key you need and then immediately press the F8 key. This should give you the usual boot prompt. The timeout is hardcoded in the booter somewhere and would need to be patched to fix. I agree it is a bit fast but normally don't need it and so speeds up regular boots.

post-142645-1246115661_thumb.png

post-142645-1246115670_thumb.png

Superb work + beautiful guide, Donk, thanks muchly, will try it out ASAP

What do you think are the prospects for SNLx64 in latest VMware Workstation on W7x64 ?

Cheers, SW

PS: errata for v1.1 ...

4.3 Sound
... "the only KNOW(N) driver"

bottom of p.10: "This can ..." end of sentence MIA

Superb work + beautiful guide, Donk, thanks muchly, will try it out ASAP

What do you think are the prospects for SNLx64 in latest VMware Workstation on W7x64 ?

Cheers, SW

PS: errata for v1.1 ...

4.3 Sound
... "the only KNOW(N) driver"

bottom of p.10: "This can ..." end of sentence MIA

Snow Leopard appears to be a no-go. I have tried the WWDC seed and it needs additional support from VMware (which I think is coming but it is in the products under beta test).

Thanks for corrections to manual, will update in a week or so, once I get more feedback.

Hi, donk

When I install the darwin into the VMware system by the command setup.cmd install (I use admin)

it work fine

but When I open my guest system and power on it say that the CPU have block or something.

while I uninstall it. it work normal

post-450200-1246271362_thumb.jpg post-450200-1246271413_thumb.png

my vm setting

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
memsize = "512"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "MacOSX-000001.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "G:"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "MacOSX"
guestOS = "darwin"
nvram = "MacOSX.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

extendedConfigFile = "MacOSX.vmxf"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d c7 a7 0a 45 c4 50-79 a8 61 af 30 b6 52 b6"
uuid.bios = "56 4d c7 a7 0a 45 c4 50-79 a8 61 af 30 b6 52 b6"
ide0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "-1"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:b6:52:b6"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "817255094"

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"
sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"
sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.hostPath = "D:\Nguyen\Downloads\Compressed\Mac"
sharedFolder0.guestName = "Mac"
sharedFolder0.expiration = "session"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

Hi, donk

When I install the darwin into the VMware system by the command setup.cmd install (I use admin)

it work fine

but When I open my guest system and power on it say that the CPU have block or something.

while I uninstall it. it work normal

As explained in the document you need to have a supported CPU. What CPU do you have and have you checked it on the Intel web site linked to in the manual?

As explained in the document you need to have a supported CPU. What CPU do you have and have you checked it on the Intel web site linked to in the manual?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

is this CPU don't support. so is there anyway I can do. I just want to have the ability to copy & paste between host and guest.

Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

is this CPU don't support. so is there anyway I can do. I just want to have the ability to copy & paste between host and guest.

Thanks.

It should be supported but I have had several reports it currently isn't working. Some things to check out:

1. VT-x is enabled in the BIOS

2. Change you VMX file and make sure you have these settings:

guestos = "darwin-64"

I have config the vmx file

guestos = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

post-450200-1246278175_thumb.jpg

but still the same.

I don't know what you mean

VT-x is enabled in the BIOS

How to check that. BIOS in host or guest

I have config the vmx file

guestos = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

post-450200-1246278175_thumb.jpg

but still the same.

I don't know what you mean

VT-x is enabled in the BIOS

How to check that. BIOS in host or guest

You need to check on the real machine's BIOS settings. I can't tell you what it will say as different BIOSes have different areas for configuring it. You can also run the program Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility to cross check the settings. http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

• VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post and the package is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2528947...04e75f6e8ebb871.

Excellent job !

A few little points to add into the documentation concerning the ESX(i) configurations:

If you want to verify whether or not your CPU is compatible, the best method is to use the VMware cpuid utility, available at: http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html. It's an ISO image. Burn it to a CD, boot your machine and look for the line "Supports 64 bit VMware". If it's yes, you're good to go, if it's no, stop beating your head against the desk and find another machine. Side note: Xeon based HP DL380 G4's are a no go, but DELL PE2950 gen III with Xeon 5450's work peachy.

When you copy up the vmware-darwin-200 package to the ESX server, make sure that you put it on local storage and don't run the commands over and over again from a shared volume since your backups will be overwritten each time you run it on another server. Note that you will have to run this script on all the servers in a cluster in order for an OSX VM to be able to move freely and reboot from any of the ESX servers.

Do NOT run the "setup.sh --install" twice or you will start getting messages that darwinGuest is not a supported GuestOS.

On ESX Server I used the LSI Parallel card and that didn't work. The disks show up, but as read only. Switching to IDE seems to be the only currrent choice on ESX for the moment. You're limited to 2 disks with that configuration, but you can always add the GlobalSAN iSCSI driver for direct iSCSI attachments later if required (or NFS or whatever turns your crank).

Congratulations guys - awesome work!

Excellent job !

A few little points to add into the documentation concerning the ESX(i) configurations:

If you want to verify whether or not your CPU is compatible, the best method is to use the VMware cpuid utility, available at: http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html. It's an ISO image. Burn it to a CD, boot your machine and look for the line "Supports 64 bit VMware". If it's yes, you're good to go, if it's no, stop beating your head against the desk and find another machine. Side note: Xeon based HP DL380 G4's are a no go, but DELL PE2950 gen III with Xeon 5450's work peachy.

When you copy up the vmware-darwin-200 package to the ESX server, make sure that you put it on local storage and don't run the commands over and over again from a shared volume since your backups will be overwritten each time you run it on another server. Note that you will have to run this script on all the servers in a cluster in order for an OSX VM to be able to move freely and reboot from any of the ESX servers.

Do NOT run the "setup.sh --install" twice or you will start getting messages that darwinGuest is not a supported GuestOS.

On ESX Server I used the LSI Parallel card and that didn't work. The disks show up, but as read only. Switching to IDE seems to be the only currrent choice on ESX for the moment. You're limited to 2 disks with that configuration, but you can always add the GlobalSAN iSCSI driver for direct iSCSI attachments later if required (or NFS or whatever turns your crank).

Congratulations guys - awesome work!

Good points and a flaw in my testing as I only had one standard alone server I could use. I will setup a test cluster under VMware Workstation and try to test in future.

For ESX it is easy to upload to the actual COS and use it's storage, but ESXi is not the same as it resets the storage after reboot. I will do a little testing this week on that, but have a busy schedule at work.

Thanks for the LSILogic heads-up. Again OK on hosted products but didn't have enough time for ESX.

Keep the feedback coming!

Hi Donk

Thx for this new great manual...

Im having some problems that after reading almost all of your topics, i couldnt find the solution.

I correctly install ToH rc2 and now im trying to boot from HD using darwin but im getting the following error.

errorvmware.th.jpg

Im using the following config

I also tried using other-64, darwin-64, -legacy -f ...

Im using Workstation 6.5 in a Intel Core 2 T8100. I run the Vwware 64bit program and looks like my laptop is capable to run 64bit guest.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Camilo

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "1"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Darwin.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "Realtek HD Audio output"
sound.autodetect = "FALSE"
mks.enable3d = "FALSE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "Darwin"

nvram = "Darwin.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

extendedConfigFile = "Darwin.vmxf"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d 99 a0 b3 16 cd c8-9e bc 90 26 17 1d 5e fd"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 99 a0 b3 16 cd c8-9e bc 90 26 17 1d 5e fd"
ide0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:1d:5e:fd"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "387800829"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = "A:"

guestOS = "darwin"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "hardware"

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"

usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE"
sound.startConnected = "TRUE"

vmi.present = "FALSE"

disable_acceleration = "FALSE"

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

You need to check on the real machine's BIOS settings. I can't tell you what it will say as different BIOSes have different areas for configuring it. You can also run the program Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility to cross check the settings. http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

I have checked for 64-Bit Compatibility.

It's compatible.

post-450200-1246404766_thumb.jpg

Donk,

Awesome to see this! Excitedly, I gave it a try. I have a Intel Core2Duo E8200 machine running VistaBusiness x64 with VMWare Server 2.0.1 on it. Using the VMware-guest64check-6.0.0-45731.exe, it says I'm x64 capable.

I installed 10.5.6 on a 20GB partition (note: I had to make Disk Utility use a Guid Partition Table instead of the default) and it looked like it was working.

It starts up and sits at the startup screen with the Apple icon with the spinner animating, but that's it.

What should I do to debug?

(also, how do I emulate the command-v on startup to get a verbose boot?)

Thanks so much!

RJ

• VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

A follow up... I was able to get into a place to hit F8 and then -v to get a verbose boot.

It appears to be hanging, repeating lines like this

VMWare[0x44580b00]::joinPMtree - could not find the hub device
(a few of those, then a bunch of...)
localhost com.apple.launcd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter): Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Seems like a USB issue?

Here are my additions/changes to the .vmx file:

guestOS = "darwin-64"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- RJ

Good points and a flaw in my testing as I only had one standard alone server I could use. I will setup a test cluster under VMware Workstation and try to test in future.

For ESX it is easy to upload to the actual COS and use it's storage, but ESXi is not the same as it resets the storage after reboot. I will do a little testing this week on that, but have a busy schedule at work.

Thanks for the LSILogic heads-up. Again OK on hosted products but didn't have enough time for ESX.

Keep the feedback coming!

A couple of secondary points to look into. I had originally installed my VM on the internal storage of the ESX Server and since this machine will be getting reinstalled, I copied the VM using the regular VMware tools over to an iSCSI volume. I tried to boot and ended up with the regular PXE boot so I checked the vmx file and found that it had been modified by ESX and replaced darwin-64 with other.

I replaced the original darwin-64 value and tried to start the machine and am now getting:

Power On virtual machine
OSXS
The guest operating system 'darwin64Guest' is not supported.
Administrateur
VC-VSPHERE
01/07/2009 10:25:28

I'm going to try and rebuild a new VM on the iSCSI datastore and re-use the existing disk to see if that works, but this is an annoying problem since it means that you have to be extra careful and using the standard VMware tools to manage an OSX VM.

Whew! I finally got MacOS X on a VM - Thank you so much, Donk!

I ended up pulling the monitor.* lines in the VMX file and reinstalling MacOS X on the vhd.

I've been able to update to 10.5.7, but every so often it hangs and I get these:

osx4.th.png

Where it says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

Ideas as to how I should diagnose this one?

Problem Resolution

To help me understand some of the issues that are being seen can I ask everyone who has a problem to post the following information please when first logging the problem:

1. VMware product and version being used
  2. Host operating system
  3. Host CPU
  4. Vanilla Leopard or other distro
  5. Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
  6. Please attach the VMX file
  7. Please attach the latest vmware.log file

(Please remember I have stated that I do not support anything other than vanilla with this method.)

For manual clarifications and additional updates from testing; e.g. ESX configuration please use your judgement as to whether to post this information. Also remember I do this in my spare time, and have full time job, family and other interests, so I will answer when I can.

Whew! I finally got MacOS X on a VM - Thank you so much, Donk!

I ended up pulling the monitor.* lines in the VMX file and reinstalling MacOS X on the vhd.

I've been able to update to 10.5.7, but every so often it hangs and I get these:

osx4.th.png

Where it says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

Ideas as to how I should diagnose this one?

One tip from VMware is to switch of a the power management settings so that the virtual machine does not go to sleep. That can cause this issue. I have also used the Caffeine application to ensure the guest stays awake.

One tip from VMware is to switch of a the power management settings so that the virtual machine does not go to sleep. That can cause this issue. I have also used the Caffeine application to ensure the guest stays awake.

Good call on Caffeine 1.0.4, I'll try that and let you know what happens.

There's some oddness sometimes with keyboard repeating (appears as if a key's stuck), but I'll have to watch for it to happen and capture some logs.

Thanks again for the awesome effort, Donk!

RJ

Host: Intel Core2Duo E8200, Vista Business x64, VMWare Server 2.0.1,

Guest: Leopard 10.5.6 (updated to 10.5.7)

Good call on Caffeine 1.0.4, I'll try that and let you know what happens.

There's some oddness sometimes with keyboard repeating (appears as if a key's stuck), but I'll have to watch for it to happen and capture some logs.

Thanks again for the awesome effort, Donk!

RJ

Host: Intel Core2Duo E8200, Vista Business x64, VMWare Server 2.0.1,

Guest: Leopard 10.5.6 (updated to 10.5.7)

Switch to PS2 keyboard by editing VMX file change keyboard.vusb.enable to FALSE. the tools iso image will then load the Voodoo PS2 Controller for you.

I have checked for 64-Bit Compatibility.

It's compatible.

post-450200-1246404766_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty certain it is a problem with VMware due to something I have seen, but am under NDA. Not sure what to suggest next. Let me have a think about it, as maybe a different kernel may be possible. Voodoo kernel 2 alpha 3 is available and it is supposed to fix some FSB frequency issues with theses processors. Whilst it is possible to add to the CD image booting is a PITA.

Hi Donk

Thx for this new great manual...

Im having some problems that after reading almost all of your topics, i couldnt find the solution.

I correctly install ToH rc2 and now im trying to boot from HD using darwin but im getting the following error.

errorvmware.th.jpg

Im using the following config

I also tried using other-64, darwin-64, -legacy -f ...

Im using Workstation 6.5 in a Intel Core 2 T8100. I run the Vwware 64bit program and looks like my laptop is capable to run 64bit guest.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Camilo

Well this work is only for retail Leopard and I don't test other distros. However I think you should at least try with the following settings in your VMX file:

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

usb.generic.allowHID = "FALSE" <-- never use this unless you have more than one keyboard and mouse!