so guys i did a boo boo...

nanoware

6 posts in this topic

So a few months ago, my WD external my book HD started acting up. Would give me write errors and stuff. So one day it finally messed up. I took the Hd out, which was a normal SATA drive, and gave it to my brother n law to fix. So he fixed the bad sectors and what not. IT was fine when i left his house....

so this is the messed up part...

i put it in my puter, and the thing with this drive is that it has , for some messed up reason, 2 power connectors on the drive. the normal 4 prong connector and the new connector thats next to the SATA connector. So what i did - :wacko: was connect both power connections because im a dumbass, and the drive apparently died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT wont spin up for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had 500 gigs of my life on there, just gone just like that in a a split second.

so my question is

do you think it is completely destroyed, like a crazzzy ass powersurge blew it up internally. Or maybe it can still bee fixed physically?

just a quick recap, i connected two power connectors to it at the same time and powered on my computer, and it died...!!!! :D:(:D:(:(:(:(

so what do you all think ???

I am sorry for your data.

As far as I know, a lot of SATA HardDrives actually have two connectors (Both the conventional 4 Pin plug and the newer SATA power supply connector).

I have one in front of me, and the following is written on it:

"WARNING: Use either SATA Power or Legacy Power connector. DO NOT use both which may result in damage to the hard drive."

As a general comment: Never rely on one HardDrive for the safety of your Data. It can fail any second, and recovery of data is very expensive in that (in your) situation. Do a backup in the future. IF you are using a mac with leopard, just buy an external HardDrive and set up time machine. It's very simple and effective.

Again, sorry for your data.

yeah, i learned the hard way a few years ago that hard disks are not to be trusted. you gotta keep redundant copies on multiple drives, and burn stuff to DVD-R too.

sounds like the drive is fried, im afraid.

first thing to do is examine the external logic board of the drive itself to see for signs of an overload - blown capacitors, black soot / burn marks etc. if this is fried then you might be able to rescue the data if you can find another drive with a working logic board with which you can swap. this means getting a drive which is pretty much identical tho, so it depends how precious your data is.

i had a hard disk die on me recently. i stuck it in the freezer for 24 hours, and then it worked long enough for me to get my data off. crazy but true.

i had a hard disk die on me recently. i stuck it in the freezer for 24 hours, and then it worked long enough for me to get my data off. crazy but true.

Sorry, but I just can't resist..............So is that "Freeze drived data"? :)

Oh lord that was bad.

But you are right, if the board is spent, there is good chance he data can be recovered. I would think it smoked before t got to the motor.

Kenny

Assuming that you will buy a new MyBook, get a new one that was the same model as your old one, stick the logic board from the new MB to the old one and attempt to rescue your data. Then put the logic board back onto the new one and voila, you have a new MyBook and your data is safe! Of course thats assuming that its just the logic board thats fried and not the entire thing...