SSE3 SiS ATA/SATA Support?

themacmeister

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was an easy post install script to enable SiS ATA/SATA chipset support for the more recent Leopard releases (iAtkos or Kalyway)?

I believe you can get the OS installed (by disabling USB), and then after an agonising wait, you discover you are without DMA transfers, and have NO SATA support at all. I believe there is an easy way to enable a maximum of 2 devices on SiS chipsets (mine is 661FX - southbridge=SiS 964). I attempted this early last year from memory on 10.4.8 - so things may have improved somewhat since then.

This can be done by inserting dev and vend IDs into AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

You can also bypass the need to disable USB completely by removing UHCI (or OHCI, can't remember) from AppleUSBFamily.kext (again, from memory).

It appears the ATA driver on Google Code stopped in 2006, and was not continued.

I have had OSX working on my Acer desktop, SATA HDD, GeForce 7600GT, OpenGL, QE, CI all hardware accelerated, with sound (Azalia patch?) and network (replacement D-Link DGE-530T PCI-patched skge.kext) and printing etc etc.

Everything was working except ATA (ie: no Optical drives or HDD). If it is the case that this has now been fixed, this is the perfect opportunity to help out those of us, who got burned by a cheap and nasty mobo.

I would be SO prepared to test anything you come up with - as I have been attempting to get this working for a few years now :hysterical:

All the information you need should be on this forum. The binaries may be harder to come by. Feel free to ask for filenames, I usually download these on the XP boot, and back them up religiously.

PS. Would a Vanilla Kernel work with a single core Celeron D? :hysterical:

Many thanks for reading.

themacmeister

• 3 months later...

haven't tried a vanilla boot up yet but the sleep kernel included on the kaly 10.5.2 dvd worked on the sa80 with a 3gig p4 albeit with the 2mb transfer on the drives.

by the way, messaged you. thanks

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was an easy post install script to enable SiS ATA/SATA chipset support for the more recent Leopard releases (iAtkos or Kalyway)?

I believe you can get the OS installed (by disabling USB), and then after an agonising wait, you discover you are without DMA transfers, and have NO SATA support at all. I believe there is an easy way to enable a maximum of 2 devices on SiS chipsets (mine is 661FX - southbridge=SiS 964). I attempted this early last year from memory on 10.4.8 - so things may have improved somewhat since then.

This can be done by inserting dev and vend IDs into AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

You can also bypass the need to disable USB completely by removing UHCI (or OHCI, can't remember) from AppleUSBFamily.kext (again, from memory).

It appears the ATA driver on Google Code stopped in 2006, and was not continued.

I have had OSX working on my Acer desktop, SATA HDD, GeForce 7600GT, OpenGL, QE, CI all hardware accelerated, with sound (Azalia patch?) and network (replacement D-Link DGE-530T PCI-patched skge.kext) and printing etc etc.

Everything was working except ATA (ie: no Optical drives or HDD). If it is the case that this has now been fixed, this is the perfect opportunity to help out those of us, who got burned by a cheap and nasty mobo.

I would be SO prepared to test anything you come up with - as I have been attempting to get this working for a few years now :)

All the information you need should be on this forum. The binaries may be harder to come by. Feel free to ask for filenames, I usually download these on the XP boot, and back them up religiously.

PS. Would a Vanilla Kernel work with a single core Celeron D? :)

Many thanks for reading.

themacmeister

Hey themacmeister! I found somewhere in these forums if you put dev/vendor for 661FX (0x55131039) in the Info.plist SATA section and make sure AppleGenericPCATA.kext is nowhere to be found you'll get udma out of this mobo. The only hitch's are ATA section of About this Mac shows no devices as they end up listed in SATA and if you have any SATA devices they don't show up at all. Still looking to get this solved. Hope this helps.

Stwubby

Oops, left out the kext to edit AppleVIAATA.kext