while doing the chain0 mehod...

6 posts in this topic

I am supposed to convert a fat32 partition into mac os extended (journaled or something like that) in disc utility. This is during the setup of 10.5.1 using kalyway boot disc. How exactly do I do this? It only says I can erase a partition, choose what type, name, then erase. There is NO option that simply says "click here to convert from fat32 to mac os extended (journaled)." Can anyone enlighten me?

if you erase it, you change type of partition.

( for understanding, you need a FAT partition to be recognized and writable in OSX, NTFS is only readable supported in osx,

for installing and booting OSX you need HFS+ and a partitioning table GUID or MBR)

So what exactly do I need to do? Do I go under erase for the fat32 partition, select the mac os extended (journaled), type in a personalized name, and click erase? Will that convert it to a type writable by kalyway disc?

Well there's one ;ast thing I can think of, but it will only work if you have windows installed:

1. right click "My Computer" and click "Manage"

2. Choose Storage, then disk management

3. Right-click on your fat-32 partition and choose "delete" or something along those lines

4. Open up the command prompt (press the windows key + r to bring up run, then type "cmd" and press enter)

5. Type "diskpart"

6."select disk n" (where n is the disk number you want to install Mac onto i.e. if you only have one hard drive, it will be 0)

7. "create partition primary size=n id=af" (where n is the size in MB you want your new partition to be

8. "exit"

9. Reboot, and try and do the same thing (erase again) and you should have no problems